If it's as simple as calories in vs calories out....

Options

Replies

• OliviaCeed
    OliviaCeed Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You are an inspiration to me. Seeing what you have accomplished I believe I can make my goal as long as I stay steady with my lifestyle changes.

No one ever means to let themselves go... and when we find ourselves at less than our best, it takes a lot out of us to keep trudging along to our goal. But we can do it. One step at a time, no matter how small that step.

Thank you for your post. To see your stat is an awesome boost! <3
  • OliviaCeed
    Options
    ... and you are a great example of why it's so important not to judge others on what their life journey is. Thank you for posting. You drive the point home in a very elegant way.

Continued success be yours! <3
  • OliviaCeed
    Options
    thank you for the link! I'm learning as I go with my weightloss - however humble it may be. <3
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am sure that's why some people can't gain weight and despite medically crafted diets with extreme excess calories they continue to return to a baseline underweight BMI. Scientists have already discovered which genes make people "genetically skinny". The University of Lausanne in Switzerland did a massive study to discover that those who don't have the gene are 43 times more likely to be overweight. Those who have duplicates of that same gene are 23 more times likely to be underweight.

Unless you are some religious nut you probably believe in evolution and these types of genetic differences are far form out of the ordinary. We see it replicated in various species of animals as well, we are only animals ourselves. Anyway, for your viewing pleasure see below.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6971993/genetics-the-secret-to-a-perfect-body

Instead of linking comedy videos to try to win an argument in which you're professing a need for science, why don't you link that study you made multiple references to? I tried searching for it and couldn't find any study published by the University of Lausanne which made the claims you're making.

Would love to read through their methodology and results.
  • OliviaCeed
    Options
    Excellent observations. Perfect advice; go to the professionals on this one. <3
  • OliviaCeed
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. Does MFP have a BLOCK button like Facebook does? It needs one.
  • OliviaCeed
    Options
    Acceptable thyroid levels are a contentious issue. For example, in North America (Canada/USA) accepted levels are much lower than what are considered acceptable levels in an equally modern country like Japan. What seems to be agreed on though, is how thyroid levels change throughout the day with different food intake and different caloric levels. And that requires much more careful observation than the standardized testing done by a GP. So it's not such a bad topic to introduce though I can't say it would be relevant to this particular member. Nevertheless, it might interest others who are reading through this long blog.

As far as the homeopathic solution quoted, I really can't comment. I leave that up to individual consideration.
  • rizzod206
    rizzod206 Posts: 18
    Options
    I don't really have anything to link it to you, I saw it on an obesity documentary on discovery channel. Just by Google search I turned up a bunch of articles on it, not sure how you could go about finding where it was published since it was done in Switzerland.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/233672.php

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/01/skinny-gene-discovered-by-scientists/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/31/us-genes-skinny-idUSTRE77U4NK20110831
  • OliviaCeed
    Options
    I'm very sorry to read that you are suffering (if I understood) in meal planning. I think you're going 'hardcore'. And if that term is good enough for an athlete, it's good enough for someone who is adamant on a diet that fits with her body type. I don't know if changing the language will help you, but I'm suggesting it anyway. You're a hardcore babe all the way! You go girl! Good on ya! <3
  • rizzod206
    rizzod206 Posts: 18
    Options
    Looks like they just got blood samples and tested for the specific gene in 95,000 subjects. I guess it's not really a study since there can be no blind, double blind, or other interference. Basically they have the gene, have a duplicate of it, or they don't.

"Froguel's team examined the DNA of more than 95,000 people for their study. They found that half of all children with the duplication in the study had previously been diagnosed with a "failure to thrive" -- meaning that their rate of weight gain is significantly lower than normal."
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    How come I didn't lose weight when I ate 945 calories? And here's the real kicker: I had weight loss surgery that makes me only absorb 20% fat, 60% protein, 60% complex carbs. So my absorbed calories was closer to 400. And I gained a pound. This is the regular thing for me - eat less than 1,600, I gain or don't lose. Eat more, I lose. I see people post all the damn time that it's as simple as calories in VS calories out. My BMR is 2,000 cals a day. So if I eat less than 2,000 absorbable calories, by that statement I should lose weight. But I do not when I drop too low.

Soooo....maybe it's not that simple. Just sayin'

I know that others stress the calories in vs calories out but I personally feel there is more to it than that. In theory, if two people the same height, weight, gender and age eat the same calorie deficit then they should lose the same amount of weight at the same rate. In reality, that is not what happens so it is a bit more complicated.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I love it when people (usually men) say that ****. They just think because it works for them it works for everybody. If it were that simple then why can some people eat whatever they want, not exercise, and not gain?

When my sister in law goes shopping she will park outside the shop, spend a few hours casually browsing the clothes rails, standing still on the escalator whilst it takes her to the different levels, browsing some more

When my wife goes shopping she will walk to the shops, up and down the high street quickly in and out of shops, up and down
    the stairs, hardly standing still all morning, carry her shopping back home
    At the family barbeque my sister in law will say to her "It's not fair, neither of us exercise, yet you can eat what you want and stay slim, whereas I can't"
  • OliviaCeed
    Options
    AMEN AND HALLELUJAH!

Nastiness is just that.... nastiness. And I'm not surprised at all that it was taken that way, because that's what it was. When getting pummeled, sometimes you pummel back. I might have done the same.

You are absolutely correct.
  • OliviaCeed
    Options
    AMEN AND HALLELUJAH!

Nastiness is just that.... nastiness. And I'm not surprised at all that it was taken that way, because that's what it was. When getting pummeled, sometimes you pummel back. I might have done the same.

You are absolutely correct.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    "...DS patients require lifelong and extensive blood tests to check for deficiencies in life critical vitamins and minerals. Without proper follow up tests and lifetime supplementation RNY and DS patients can become ill. This follow-up care is non-optional and must continue for as long as the patient lives."
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    How come I didn't lose weight when I ate 945 calories? And here's the real kicker: I had weight loss surgery that makes me only absorb 20% fat, 60% protein, 60% complex carbs. So my absorbed calories was closer to 400. And I gained a pound. This is the regular thing for me - eat less than 1,600, I gain or don't lose. Eat more, I lose. I see people post all the damn time that it's as simple as calories in VS calories out. My BMR is 2,000 cals a day. So if I eat less than 2,000 absorbable calories, by that statement I should lose weight. But I do not when I drop too low.

Soooo....maybe it's not that simple. Just sayin'

I know that others stress the calories in vs calories out but I personally feel there is more to it than that. In theory, if two people the same height, weight, gender and age eat the same calorie deficit then they should lose the same amount of weight at the same rate. In reality, that is not what happens so it is a bit more complicated.

I don't. The only complex part is the TDEE measurement. It's really just a guess - it's hard to gauge how calories you are burning throughout your daily activities
  • sahkajs
    sahkajs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising?
  • OliviaCeed
    Options
    I apologize to everyone and the original poster ... I'm rather new at reply blogging in MFP. So it looks like my replies to commentary hasn't gone to individual commentator I was responding to.

Thank you all for providing links.

To those who are obviously mean-spirited in their replies... what can I say. You are mean-spirited.

To those who made comment that this member's situation is unique to her, you are quite right. And it is indeed professionals that should provide her with the advice that could help her out. If not from her current health-care team, then from others.

To those who show phenomenal weight loss - KAPLAH! (Yes, I'm a nerd. Looks GREAT on me.)

To OP... I feel for you. Still, I think you're doing a great job in your lifestyle changes. You made the best decisions you could make at the time you made them. And while it may not seem to you that it's all that you had hoped it to be, give it time. Lots of time. For most of us, the weight didn't come on overnight, so there's no need to expect it will come off overnight either. You have all my best hopes and wishes for sustained success now and to come.

Now... how do I delete all those mispositioned comments?
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't really have anything to link it to you, I saw it on an obesity documentary on discovery channel. Just by Google search I turned up a bunch of articles on it, not sure how you could go about finding where it was published since it was done in Switzerland.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/233672.php

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/01/skinny-gene-discovered-by-scientists/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/31/us-genes-skinny-idUSTRE77U4NK20110831

A few major issues with their study:

1) They are looking at a genetic duplication that effects 0.05% of people and using a sample size of just under 100,000 people which means the group they're looking at is under 50 people. Given the ridiculously small sample size this gives us, they would need to be extremely careful over sample size biases which could effect their data. The fact it's so rare means a single community probably had the majority of the instances of that genetic duplication which would cause socio-economic effects to be heavily amplified and cause the data to be skewed in one direction.

2) The numbers they're reporting are highly sensationalized. Men with the duplication are 23 times more likely to be underweight? Given that very few people are underweight (BMI <18.5), a single extra person in the group who is underweight would massively skew the percentages and create these seemingly massive differences between groups. Without being able to see their error bars or whether or not they properly applied a Bonferroni correction factor, I can't really say if their results are valid in any way.

3) Did you read the links? Here's a quick excerpt: "The research also showed a quarter of people with the duplication had microcephaly, a condition in which the head and brain are abnormally small and which is linked to neurological defects and shorter life expectancy." (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2032519/It-really-genes-Skinny-people-overdose-chromosomes-lead-underweight.html#ixzz346PX9rM9)

So we have a sample size of around 50 people and around 13 of them have a genetic abnormality which causes physically deformations which would skew their BMI down? Ah, so the secret to being underweight is simply being born with a severe physical deformity which effects your head, brain, life expectancy and comes with a higher incidence of neurological defects. Awesome - where can I sign up?

Also, here's another link about an interview with the guy who published this paper : http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/sep/11/thinness-lean-gene-philippe-froguel

Here's a quick excerpt -

Question: People often explain that they are underweight or overweight because of their "metabolism"…

Answer: In our studies of obesity and leanness we haven't found a single example of a gene that modifies metabolism. Most people who are thin don't each much, but they don't realise it. They eat for show, but when they are alone they don't each much, and it is exactly the opposite for the obese.

So the genes don't even have an effect on metabolism.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Let me rephrase. It is impossible for me to gorge myself because I don't eat big portions of anything that doesn't have lots of protein. I can't waste the space. That's why I don't eat lots of veggies....not enough protein. I've had some homemade guac, but only 2 tablespoons with about 5 pork rinds (no carbs) and I couldn't eat anymore. I don't eat that often because it's not dense enough in protein, even though the pork rinds have some. I have to eat lots and lots of meat and cheese. I actually kinda hate it. I miss veggies.

Just catching up so forgive me if I'm repeating this. But you say you can't gorge yourself or eat carbs, eating all the time, etc. Yet when I look through your diary I see 2 slices of pizza, coffee with heavy cream, eating 3 times a day, and nothing is weighed. I don't have anything against the food you're eating but you are not eating what you are telling everyone in this forum you are eating and a lot of the foods you are eating are processed and full of sodium but you are not tracking that.

Yet the one person who says you may be eating more than you think you called stupid and an idiot.

Think what you want of me but the only way to really know what you are eating is to weigh all of your solid foods and measure your liquids.

And not everybody loses weight at the same rate so you may not fall into the norm as far as weight loss. It sounds like part of you regrets having the surgery and I'm sorry if that's the case.