Why Can't I Skip Breakfast?

Options
So, when I started this journey, I made sure to eat something for breakfast everyday, even if it was just a slice of toast. Over the last few weeks, I have skipped breakfast, and I find that I'm really happy to have those extra calories available for my favorite meal of the day: dinner. I don't feel bad. I still feel like I have plenty of energy in the morning. I am definitely ready for lunch when the time rolls around, but isn't that a good thing? So, why can't I skip breakfast?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    you can, theres no reason not to if it helps you stay within your calorie limits. i wait for a few hours to eat breakfast after i wake up

side note; technically the first thing you eat in the day is breakfast, even if its at 5 p.m.
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    you can, theres no reason not to if it helps you stay within your calorie limits. i wait for a few hours to eat breakfast after i wake up

side note; technically the first thing you eat in the day is breakfast, even if its at 5 p.m.

^^^ This. Depending on when I wake up, my breakfast could be at any time from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next. If you want extra calories for dinner, try a simple workout. I walk each day for 45 minutes with my dog. That gives me 241 extra calories to use :) Cleaning your house, gardening, ect all add up.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. I rarely eat before noon and usually eat almost all of my calories in the last few hours of the day (sometimes all in the last hour before bed). Do what works for you.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    No reason. Meal timing is irrelevant. Calling a meal breakfast is also just a description usually used at the beginning of the day. However, it is whenever your first meal is. So technically lunch is your breakfast! (break- fast)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next.
    sorry but thats all wrong
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next. If you want extra calories for dinner, try a simple workout. I walk each day for 45 minutes with my dog. That gives me 241 extra calories to use :) Cleaning your house, gardening, ect all add up.

Do you have a source for this information?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Skip it if it is what works for you.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Um, no.

Just.

No.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next.

No, it doesn't. Starvation mode, as it is advocated on here, does not exist. Adaptive thermogenesis take place after a long period of very low intake (three or four days, at a minimum) not after one night. Your body is smarter than thinking it is starving if you sleep late. Feel free to skip breakfast (there's a large community of people who use intermittent fasting to great effect).
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,208 MFP Moderator
    Options

Your body does not go into starvation mode over a missed meal. Tell that nonsense to my ticker - I'm a serial breakfast NON-eater, and somehow managed to lose almost 60 pounds while still being able to enjoy delicious foods.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    It's simple ....... do whatever works for YOU ......

:drinker:
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat it. I usually don't eat until around lunch. I'll have a small snack if I'm hungry but it's not needed.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a combination of 2 words, break and fast.

It doesnt matter what time you break it as long as you do.

Calories cant tell time...
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Because if you do Tony the Tiger will hunt you down and force Frosted Flakes down your throat.

You can... I do... My body doesn't go into starvation mode. I'm losing weight at a pretty solid rate. Don't start eating until you're hungry.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You could skip breakfast, lunch, or dinner. As long as you are hitting your macros and not blowing your deficiency then you are fine. Eat as you wish.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've actually been doing the same thing! I am having coffee at work for "breakfast" and then maybe a light snack around 10am. That gives me more calories to use for dinner...the most enjoyable meal for me :) It hasn't been hindering my weight loss at all! I would completely ignore the starvation mode propaganda and do what is working for you.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Given that breakfast is the meal that "breaks your fast" -- whatever you want to eat whenever you want to eat it is fine. Technically. Your body is not on a time table. Food is fuel. If you are consistently eating at or below your daily burn it doesnt really matter when you eat.

I actually DO believe eating breakfast within an hour of waking up in important. Its the energy you need to start your day. But I dont think it matter how much or what it is. If you have coffee first thing in the morning with milk and sugar- again, technically, thats breakfast. Its calories and calories are fuel. I try to have something even if its just a few nuts. I do find that I am weak and tired and have trouble focusing on less than 1000 calories by noon- but thats something your body will tell you. I also tend to have lower resistance for binge cycles when I eat too little in the morning- again, your body will tell you what it needs if you stop and pay attention.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I skip..sometimes I dont. Id rather be able to have a snack after supper than breakfast, sometimes.