Why Can't I Skip Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I skip a 'traditional' breakfast all the time and only eat between 11am and 7pm. I'm usually not hungry early in the day because I have my coffee.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next.

This is probably the funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks for that.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1084912-good-starvation-mode-article

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Calories cant tell time...

This is the best thing I have heard all day. Love it!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I usually eat an apple and have a coffee for breakfast. It's very low cal and gets my brain going. I agree it really doesn't matter if you eat it or not. The only reason it would matter is if you're finding you're eating more throughout the day now that you're skipping it. By reviewing your diary you will see if that's the case for you. BUT if you're sticking in your calorie goal and enjoying other meals more, then it's working great for you! When my bf wants to cut weight he just starts skipping breakfast and leaves the rest the same.

ETA: The only reason eating breakfast is recommended by experts (read this on the Weight Watchers science info site) is because there is a correlation with people who eat breakfast also being more likely to keep weight off after it's lost. HOWEVER keep in mind that correlation and causation are NOT the same thing.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Skip it if you want. Just get your macros in for the day whenever you feel is conveinant. Only reason for it is to satisfy your hunger so you don't binge. But if your not hungry, don't worry about it.
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is really the most important meal of the day. I was never able to get food down when i woke up, but I simply was not hungry. You have to find what works for you. Even if you start your day with a simple protein shake, it is better than nothing. Breakfast fuels your body throughout the day. It kick starts your metabolism, and sets the pace for the rest of the day. If you do not eat breakfast, your metabolism slows and your body begins "starvation mode". You also will begin to feel sluggish by afternoon. It gives you energy, and keeps you going throughout the day. If you are worried about calories for dinner, perform 30-40 minutes of exercise to have some extra calories !
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is really the most important meal of the day. I was never able to get food down when i woke up, but I simply was not hungry. You have to find what works for you. Even if you start your day with a simple protein shake, it is better than nothing. Breakfast fuels your body throughout the day. It kick starts your metabolism, and sets the pace for the rest of the day. If you do not eat breakfast, your metabolism slows and your body begins "starvation mode". You also will begin to feel sluggish by afternoon. It gives you energy, and keeps you going throughout the day. If you are worried about calories for dinner, perform 30-40 minutes of exercise to have some extra calories !

You clearly didn't read the posts above...
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

No.

YOU might feel sluggish without eating breakfast. That personal preference. I feel great waking at 7 am and not eating until after noon.

Your metabolism does not need "started", it only quits when you're dead.

Starvation mode, as you're using it, is a myth. Calories in vs out

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1084912-good-starvation-mode-article

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

guess I'll just link these to nauseum lmao.

If what you're saying is true. Explain my ticker? I don't typically eat breakfast and I maintain on 2200 calories at 5'3.5"119 lbs. Must be that slowed metabolisms from starvation mode
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast ever, and I train for around two and a half hours a day, four days a week, fasted from midnight the day before. My first meal is usually around 3-4pm, so maybe YOU feel sluggish without any food, but that is by no means applicable to everyone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next. If you want extra calories for dinner, try a simple workout. I walk each day for 45 minutes with my dog. That gives me 241 extra calories to use :) Cleaning your house, gardening, ect all add up.
    There are lots of peer reviewed clinical studies out there that would dispute the claims made here. The belief that this actually happens to the general public is information echoed by the breakfast cereal companies and misinformed diet and fitness advocates who lack real education in body physiology and nutrition.
    Look at some peer reviewed studies to confirm if you've been told holds true.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next. If you want extra calories for dinner, try a simple workout. I walk each day for 45 minutes with my dog. That gives me 241 extra calories to use :) Cleaning your house, gardening, ect all add up.
    Starvation mode by missing a meal................c'mon you really can't believe this stuff. Can you?
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a combination of 2 words, break and fast.

It doesnt matter what time you break it as long as you do.

Calories cant tell time...
    Unfortunately the consensus for the general population is that breakfast is a meal that's eaten sometime before noon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Efflictim
    Options

This has to stop...
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    you can, theres no reason not to if it helps you stay within your calorie limits. i wait for a few hours to eat breakfast after i wake up

side note; technically the first thing you eat in the day is breakfast, even if its at 5 p.m.

This+++++
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I fnd it disturbing how many people think that not eating for 12hrs or longer is ok.

Per my certified personal trainer........eat breakfast! You need to kick start your metabolism when you get up. Not eating at regular intervals brings down your metabolism. When your body doesn't know when it's next fueling is going to be it will hold onto what it does get creating fat.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast... does that mean i'm going into starvation mode... HELP MY BODY IS CURRENTLY TRYING TO EAT MY OWN ARM!!!
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    I fnd it disturbing how many people think that not eating for 12hrs or longer is ok.

Per my certified personal trainer........eat breakfast! You need to kick start your metabolism when you get up. Not eating at regular intervals brings down your metabolism. When your body doesn't know when it's next fueling is going to be it will hold onto what it does get creating fat.

Your trainer is stupid

wukwo9.gif

not sorry
  • Efflictim
    Options

Get a new trainer, yours is clueless.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast... does that mean i'm going into starvation mode... HELP MY BODY IS CURRENTLY TRYING TO EAT MY OWN ARM!!!

It's okay. You're Deadpool. You can put it back on later.