Why Can't I Skip Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I've only started eating breakfast since starting my relatively new healthy living journey. Breakfast kickstarts your metabolism. It is recommended you drink a glass of water shortly after waking up followed by a meal within 2 hours of waking up. I agree that on weekends sometimes my breakfast doesn't occur until 3 pm. It is also recommended that breakfast be your largest meal, followed by lunch and then dinner. Our culture is accustomed to eating larger dinners simply because that is the meal we usually have the most time to actually prepare our food. We are always so rushed for breakfast and lunch (if we didn't prepare ahead of time) that we prefer to grab something quick like oatmeal, cereal, smoothie, granola bar, sandwiches, fast food, etc. But why have your largest meal at night (or even halfway through the day) when all that energy is just going to be used while you're sleeping? That's another reason why having a large breakfast is recommended...to fuel you throughout your day and to keep your dinner light because minimal energy is needed while sleeping. You may be fine until lunch even when you skip breakfast because you are mentally trained to tell yourself you're satisfied when in reality, your body wants breakfast to jumpstart the day.

wow just wow...

what about shift workers...my husband will be doing two night shifts this week...and eats his biggest meal anywhere between midnight and 3am...is that his breakfast? or his dinner since he wont be awake until 5pm....hmmmm

guess I best be telling my quite lean husband he is doing it wrong.

There is so much misinformation out there about diet and weight loss...yet people spout off at the mouths with SUCH certainty. It is so scary. It makes me so stabby.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    What I said the last time this topic came up:

If I skip breakfast, it's a disaster. I'm chasing the hungries all day long, I make poor food choices, and I just in general feel crappy. So, for me, breakfast is absolutely essential. By morning I have been fasting for 12+ hours so I need fuel to function and get through my day.

In my opinion, not eating breakfast is like attempting a long roadtrip without stopping at the gas station to fill up the tank. And eating a huge dinner is like filling up the gas tank and then parking the car in the garage. Why put gas in the car if you're not going anywhere?

I have no science or spiffy research articles to share. (Nor do I have any snarky gifs to post.) This is just what I've found to be true for me.
    To be prepared for the next day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What I said the last time this topic came up:

If I skip breakfast, it's a disaster. I'm chasing the hungries all day long, I make poor food choices, and I just in general feel crappy. So, for me, breakfast is absolutely essential. By morning I have been fasting for 12+ hours so I need fuel to function and get through my day.

In my opinion, not eating breakfast is like attempting a long roadtrip without stopping at the gas station to fill up the tank. And eating a huge dinner is like filling up the gas tank and then parking the car in the garage. Why put gas in the car if you're not going anywhere?

I have no science or spiffy research articles to share. (Nor do I have any snarky gifs to post.) This is just what I've found to be true for me.

Taking a long road trip starting with half a tank of gas doesn't stop the trip...doesn't make your car slower or make it stall out. You put gas in the vehicle when it needs it...maybe the car you are driving needs filled up...others have great gas mileage and can go 250-300 km on half a tank...but it's the drivers choice on when to put gas in that vehicle...and if they choose to do it right before they park who cares it's their gas and their vehicle.

The point is this...if you like eating within a couple hours of waking up...eat. If you don't...don't.

It doesn't matter it's a personal choice.

But there is no science to prove eating within xx# of minutes after getting up kick starts anything...it doesn't make you healthier and it doesn't impede weight loss if you choose to wait 6-8 hours after getting up...
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    And eating a huge dinner is like filling up the gas tank and then parking the car in the garage. Why put gas in the car if you're not going anywhere?

So when you eat a huge dinner and go directly to sleep, your body just says, "Oh, h/she isn't doing anything with these calories so we'll just set them aside until morning and use them for energy then"? (I'm asking in all seriousness because I don't get how this works.)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I fnd it disturbing how many people think that not eating for 12hrs or longer is ok.

Per my certified personal trainer........eat breakfast! You need to kick start your metabolism when you get up. Not eating at regular intervals brings down your metabolism. When your body doesn't know when it's next fueling is going to be it will hold onto what it does get creating fat.

When my certified trainer said this to me I fired her. Because It's simply wrong. You can go 2-3 days with no food and you know what .. on day 2 and 3 your resting metabolism will be 20% faster than normal. Not slower.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292

Certified Personal Trainers are generally just gym rats that took a 1 hour class.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    And eating a huge dinner is like filling up the gas tank and then parking the car in the garage. Why put gas in the car if you're not going anywhere?

So when you eat a huge dinner and go directly to sleep, your body just says, "Oh, h/she isn't doing anything with these calories so we'll just set them aside until morning and use them for energy then"? (I'm asking in all seriousness because I don't get how this works.)

You still burn calories during sleep. It's not like your body stops metabolizing food because you went to sleep. It's not like "oh, we're not doing anything but this person is eating a deficit, let's make it fat!". Your daily activity and exercise for the day or even week calculates whether or not your body will use any calories as whatever it needs. If you're eating at a deficit, you'll lose, surplus you'll gain, etc. At least, that's the way I see it.
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. As many of you have pointed out, there is a lot of information out there, and it is difficult sometimes to distinguish myth from fact.
  • Novus175
    Options

In my opinion, not eating breakfast is like attempting a long roadtrip without stopping at the gas station to fill up the tank.

Taking a long road trip starting with half a tank of gas doesn't stop the trip...doesn't make your car slower or make it stall out. You put gas in the vehicle when it needs it...maybe the car you are driving needs filled up...others have great gas mileage and can go 250-300 km on half a tank...but it's the drivers choice on when to put gas in that vehicle...

I definitely do not start the day with a half a tank of gas. My low gas light is ON and I can't go very far before I have to call AAA if I don't fill up the tank. Seriously, within two hours I am crashed and the rest of the day is horrible.
  • eric_sg61
    Options

It takes hours for food to digest and be utilized for energy. Do you think by going to bed the body stops digestion and "shuts down metabolism"
    Do you think by eating breakfast that your body digested and is utilizing the energy from the food you ate right when you eat it?
  • Novus175
    Options

You still burn calories during sleep. It's not like your body stops metabolizing food because you went to sleep. It's not like "oh, we're not doing anything but this person is eating a deficit, let's make it fat!". Your daily activity and exercise for the day or even week calculates whether or not your body will use any calories as whatever it needs. If you're eating at a deficit, you'll lose, surplus you'll gain, etc. At least, that's the way I see it.

Soooo.....if your body burns the calories while you're asleep, how are you "prepared for the next day"? The calories are gone, therefore, you need more. Right?
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Love all the pedantic *kitten* with "well, breakfast is when you break your fast so blah blah blah .. "

Fine you are all correct. Every single time you eat, it's technically break fast.

Therefore, If you skip breakfast ONCE, you will die in about a month.

So no, you can't EVER skip breakfast because it will kill you.

Now, can we stop pretending we don't know what "skip breakfast" actually means?
  • Novus175
    Options

It takes hours for food to digest and be utilized for energy. Do you think by going to bed the body stops digestion and "shuts down metabolism"
    Do you think by eating breakfast that your body digested and is utilizing the energy from the food you ate right when you eat it?

When you feel sluggish and hungry, then eat something and feel energized and not hungry......isn't that because your body is using the food you just ate? I mean, does eating just remind the body that there's extra energy hanging around somewhere that it hasn't used yet?
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This is just what I've found to be true for me.

This is the important part ↑↑↑

If breakfast is important to an individual then it is important, but some trying to tell others it is what they need to do, and implying to not do it is unwise, unhealthy or wrong is just WRONG. It would be like me telling others "you must drink coffee in the morning or you will be a *kitten* to everyone" this is correct for me but not for everyone.
    eating a huge dinner is like filling up the gas tank and then parking the car in the garage. Why put gas in the car if you're not going anywhere?

As for gassing the car and then putting it in the garage, well I prefer things done ahead of time, so to me this wouldn't be a waste at all.
    In my opinion, not eating breakfast is like attempting a long roadtrip without stopping at the gas station to fill up the tank.

Unfortunately for many of us here we have plenty in the reserve tank (fat) and it matters little when we fill up, just that we do before we run out.

I used your post, but liked it because everything was from your point of view and wasn't stating absolutes.
  • eric_sg61
    Options

When you feel sluggish and hungry, then eat something and feel energized and not hungry......isn't that because your body is using the food you just ate? I mean, does eating just remind the body that there's extra energy hanging around somewhere that it hasn't used yet?
    I never feel sluggish, actually feel more energized when hungry.
  • sseqwnp
    Options

Correct your body will just set them aside - maybe as glycogen in your muscles, maybe as fat - it doesn't really matter - deficit over time = weightloss. You are ALWAYS adding and subtracting minute amounts of fat as needed, whether you're on a diet or not.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Soooo.....if your body burns the calories while you're asleep, how are you "prepared for the next day"? The calories are gone, therefore, you need more. Right?

Not quite. You still burn calories in your sleep, it's just not as much as when you're awake. It makes sense that if you're not in motion or awake you don't burn as many calories. I guess the point was that overall caloric intake is what's important vs activity. Eating at night is no different than eating at day. It's still calories in vs out.

It's purely personal preference on meal timing. If you don't feel well not eating a breakfast or feel badly eating late, dont. But you'll lose weight at the same pace, assuming you're eating the same amount and keeping your activity consistent. If eating one way makes you sluggish, your TDEE will probably go down, meaning you're caloric intake will lessen because you're not as active. Eat a way that you can maintain whatever you will, whether it be losing, maintaining, gaining
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This is likely due to blood sugar. You haven't eaten in a while so your blood glucose (sugar) drops and makes you feel sluggish. You eat and some of the carbs are quickly digested which raises your blood glucose.

If you want evidence that breakfast is not necessary, will this do?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_146645.html
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast occasionally and I have not starved to death. I usually don't eat my "breakfast" until about 11-12 anyways. (I guess some people call that lunch) . I eat again around 3-4 and my last meal is around 6-7.

So it's not like I am skipping anything or starving. I just don't feel like eating at the crack of dawn. I have plenty of energy, but that's just me.

I find if I eat breakfast when I do wake up I'm still just as hungry at 11-12 as if I hadn't eaten anyways... so it still doesn't kill the hunger for me.

If you don't want to eat breakfast..no worries you won't starve. I'm very active. i only eat 3 times a day,skipping breakfast or delaying it..and I have yet to disappear.

If you want to eat breakfast...you won't starve either.

Just do what works for you.
  • Novus175
    Options

Hrm. I always start to feel sluggish. I can feel myself slowing down, like a wind-up toy or something. I eat something and almost immediately my energy level goes back up.
  • sseqwnp
    Options

Hrm. I always start to feel sluggish. I can feel myself slowing down, like a wind-up toy or something. I eat something and almost immediately my energy level goes back up.

If it's almost immediately, that's all the proof I need to say it's psychological and not physiological.