Why Can't I Skip Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you can...lots do and lose or maintain their weight.

I personally am one of those that eats breakfast...I am hungry within 2 hours of waking up...which is bad when I am up at 5am...:grumble:

If you are happy with coffee...drink coffee...

as well those who said you have to...

what-not-to-say-to-mixed-race-4.gif
  • Luvbeers
    Luvbeers Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't usually eat breakfast... I think the idea about eating your meals early is so you are done digesting before you sleep at night... so breakfast and lunch (then a light early dinner snack). But that is nothing I can stick to.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast... does that mean i'm going into starvation mode... HELP MY BODY IS CURRENTLY TRYING TO EAT MY OWN ARM!!!

It's okay. You're Deadpool. You can put it back on later.

damn straight, but seriously who the hell keeps telling people this shinfo
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast... does that mean i'm going into starvation mode... HELP MY BODY IS CURRENTLY TRYING TO EAT MY OWN ARM!!!

tumblr_inline_my629o5sDj1qkavmj.gif
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Quick, put on your tinfoil hat. It's those breakfast cereal CEOs. Vrain washing them folks. And Fitness Magazine. I blame them, too.

I eat my Count Chocula at night
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I fnd it disturbing how many people think that not eating for 12hrs or longer is ok.

Per my certified personal trainer........eat breakfast! You need to kick start your metabolism when you get up. Not eating at regular intervals brings down your metabolism. When your body doesn't know when it's next fueling is going to be it will hold onto what it does get creating fat.
    Certified trainer here. I disagree. Metabolism NEVER stops because if it did, one would be deceased. Metabolism increases dramatically by just getting out of bed. TEF is given on ANY meal one eats so the old addage of breakfast "kickstarts" metabolism is an exaggeration and is information that's been handed down through the decades by the breakfast cereal companies for good reason................profit. Please show evidence that not eating in regular intervals lowers metabolic rate.
    The body ONLY holds fat when there's surplus. One EASILY gets fat overeating in regular intervals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    deleted, duplicated
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next. If you want extra calories for dinner, try a simple workout. I walk each day for 45 minutes with my dog. That gives me 241 extra calories to use :) Cleaning your house, gardening, ect all add up.

Your body does not go into starvation mode over a missed meal. Tell that nonsense to my ticker - I'm a serial breakfast NON-eater, and somehow managed to lose almost 60 pounds while still being able to enjoy delicious foods.

Agree entirely, my ticker also agrees

Breakfast kick start metabolism is also nonsense, promoted by breakfast cereal makers, as is starvation mode

Eat when you are hungry, not by the clock
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, why can't I skip breakfast?

I give up. Why can't you?
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Quick, put on your tinfoil hat. It's those breakfast cereal CEOs. Vrain washing them folks. And Fitness Magazine. I blame them, too.

I eat my Count Chocula at night

i'm more of a cocoa krispies fan but i'm currently fashioning a tinfoil captains hat. damn CEO's
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you can do it without getting cranky then go for it.

Why can't I skip breakfast?

Because I get hungry/spacey/mean if I do. lol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next. If you want extra calories for dinner, try a simple workout. I walk each day for 45 minutes with my dog. That gives me 241 extra calories to use :) Cleaning your house, gardening, ect all add up.

I think you should have replaced "you" with "I" or "me" in the first few sentences. If you read the OP, you should know that she does not feel tired. If you consistently skip breakfast, why wouldn't your body know that it will be food when it's lunch time?
  • minibandit
    minibandit Posts: 77
    Options
    Absolute personal preference. Personally speaking, I make better choices for the remainder of the day when I eat breakfast.

If I don't and life runs away with me I become a bit of a hungry idiot and tend to naturally make less wise choices. My decision making is less logic and more I WANT FOOD!!!

I also find it revs me up a bit and wakes my system up. I also tend to get hungrier again quicker when I eat breakfast. Thing is I'm able to eat fruit, or veg or protein as a snack and feel happy as opposed to skipping breakfast, not eating until lunch and then opting for two bacon and egg butties and a Mars bar. (Nom!)

But, that's just me. Current research seems to indicate that it doesn't matter when you eat. Also that metabolism is set by the amount of calories you consume in a day and not how regularly you eat.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I fnd it disturbing how many people think that not eating for 12hrs or longer is ok.

Per my certified personal trainer........eat breakfast! You need to kick start your metabolism when you get up. Not eating at regular intervals brings down your metabolism. When your body doesn't know when it's next fueling is going to be it will hold onto what it does get creating fat.

Your trainer doesn't read science... nor are they required to. It is pretty easy to become a "certified personal trainer". You don't have to know **** about science, nutrition, or anything like that.
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    My doctor wants me to eat breakfast and always preaches it. But I still lose weight and feel fine if I don't. My husband also skips breakfast and he is very lean, I assure you, you will not be putting yourself into starvation mode if you skip it.

I also am a dinner lover and would rather have the calories for a nice savory dinner. So, just find what works for you!
  • danfeldman494
    danfeldman494 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    http://examine.com/faq/how-do-i-stay-out-of-starvation-mode.html

"Starvation mode, according to the above definition, is for all practical intents and purposes a myth"

As others have said, breakfast is not a must. If you feel better without eating for a few hours, this is perfectly fine.

What is most important is that, over the course of the day, you get adequate calories, protein, fat, carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals, and water.

Meal timing is NOT completely useless, but when you should what foods varies depending on the individual.

Do what makes you feel best, as long as your getting the proper nutrients later in the day.

Good luck,

Dan
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing she was trying to help. No need to get butthurt and rude about it.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Who are you quoting? Where is the butt hurt?
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those who eats breakfast, just not as soon as I get out of bed. I normally get up around 5am. I say "around" because the alarm is set for 5 but I'm usually up and moving by then. Anyway, big glass of water then coffee is a priority at that hour, then feed the dogs and cat, more coffee, The three Ss (sh7t, shower and shave) and out the door. About 7:30 or so I'll have breakfast at work.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Who are you quoting? Where is the butt hurt?

Everyone quoting this: "Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next. If you want extra calories for dinner, try a simple workout. I walk each day for 45 minutes with my dog. That gives me 241 extra calories to use :) Cleaning your house, gardening, ect all add up."