Why Can't I Skip Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks sseqwnp, SugaryLynx, and bcattoes for your insight and info!

And thanks to kpost323 for your comments.

:smile:
  • Novus175
    Options
    Hrm. I always start to feel sluggish. I can feel myself slowing down, like a wind-up toy or something. I eat something and almost immediately my energy level goes back up.

If it's almost immediately, that's all the proof I need to say it's psychological and not physiological.

I think bcattoes' explanation of low blood glucose is a more likely answer.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hrm. I always start to feel sluggish. I can feel myself slowing down, like a wind-up toy or something. I eat something and almost immediately my energy level goes back up.

If it's almost immediately, that's all the proof I need to say it's psychological and not physiological.

How does the sugar get into your blood "almost immediately?"

(it doesn't)
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Can I skip brunch? What about Linner?
  • Novus175
    Options

(it doesn't)

What bcattoes said, "You eat and some of the carbs are quickly digested which raises your blood glucose."
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

(it doesn't)

Nothing gets into your blood supply instantly, but someone with low blood sugar should feel better within 15 minutes of digesting simple carbs. So macro wise, carbs are the quickest to hit you, if you feel immediately energized while eating....that is all in your head, but blood glucose is normally the answer for improved mental clarity and fatigue after a fasted period.....not everyone has blood glucose issues.
  • sseqwnp
    Options

(it doesn't)

What bcattoes said, "You eat and some of the carbs are quickly digested which raises your blood glucose."

So you define "almost immediately" as "about 15 minutes"

Silly me for thinking words had meanings for reasons.

Then sure.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why do you seem to think that you can't? If skipping breakfast works for you...then do it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

(it doesn't)

Then sure.

Geez, didn't know my word choice would be such a big deal.

1im·me·di·ate·ly
    adverb \i-ˈmē-dē-ət-lē also -ˈmē-dit-, British often -ˈmē-jit-\

: with no person or thing in between
    : without any delay

1al·most
    adverb \ˈȯl-ˌmōst, ȯl-ˈ\

: only a little less than

So, yeah, only a little less than without delay. How long exactly would vary from person to person and meal to meal.

ETA: If you feel energized sooner, then it's likely just your brain heaving a sigh of relief because it knows what is coming.
  • sseqwnp
    Options

(it doesn't)

Nothing gets into your blood supply instantly, but someone with low blood sugar should feel better within 15 minutes of digesting simple carbs. So macro wise, carbs are the quickest to hit you, if you feel immediately energized while eating....that is all in your head, but blood glucose is normally the answer for improved mental clarity and fatigue after a fasted period.....not everyone has blood glucose issues.

Anecdote to follow: When I drink coffee, I feel a zing down my arms, relief in my chest, and better in my head before the first swallow has even hit my stomach. I am aware that this is a psychological reaction to coffee and not a physiological reaction. And it's a sign of addiction. (A physical rush of relief before the drug could have possibly taken effect)

Maybe shooting stare there's a food addict ;)
  • sseqwnp
    Options

(it doesn't)

Then sure.

1im·me·di·ate·ly

1al·most
    adverb \ˈȯl-ˌmōst, ȯl-ˈ\

So, yeah, only a little less than without delay. How long exactly would vary from person to person and meal to meal.

Um .. I don't know how to tell you this, but "Almost Immediately" weren't your choice of words. They were Novus' choice of words.

I disagree with you about the blood sugar, and stand by what I said, but when you start getting butthurt and defending things you didn't even say, It might be time to take a little break.

Or did we just out one of your sockpuppets?
  • shellemom27
    Options
    I don't eat a meal asap in the morning, my first meal is around noon, second is around the dinner hour and then a snack at night - still getting a minimum of 3 meals spread out thru the day (I have my account set up for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack just in case).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

(it doesn't)

Then sure.

1im·me·di·ate·ly

1al·most
    adverb \ˈȯl-ˌmōst, ȯl-ˈ\

Um .. I don't know how to tell you this, but "Almost Immediately" weren't your choice of words. They were Novus' choice of words.

I disagree with you about the blood sugar, and stand by what I said, but when you start getting butthurt and defending things you didn't even say, It might be time to take a little break.

Sorry about the butthurt, I did a lot of one-legged squats earlier. I don't know what the sockpuppet comment means.

But, some sugars can be absorbed into the blood in less than 15 min. It all depends on the gut and the delivery system. Anyone who has ever eaten a piece of candy on an empty stomach knows it doesn't take long to feel that sugar rush.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't even get out if bed until 10am. I usually workout and then kinda work my way up to eating by noon.

I have a lolbreakfast meal and usually ota empty but when its not its almost always something I ate after midnight but before going to bed. On the rare occasion I actually eat breakfast I'm always *always* way over my calorie goal. Which is bad.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Inb4 Jassibear if she hasn't posted already
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Inb4 Jassibear if she hasn't posted already

Naw, she banned
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next.

No, it doesn't. Starvation mode, as it is advocated on here, does not exist. Adaptive thermogenesis take place after a long period of very low intake (three or four days, at a minimum) not after one night. Your body is smarter than thinking it is starving if you sleep late. Feel free to skip breakfast (there's a large community of people who use intermittent fasting to great effect).

I skip breakfast everyday. I do have a cup of coffee though!!!! I'm not tired. I work all day and hit the gym at like 4 pm. Whatever works for you.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast makes you more tired throughout the day and slows down your metabolism. Your body goes into starvation mode because it has no idea when it's getting food next and then when you do eat it stores as much fat and sugar as possible because it's (again) not sure when it's going to get food next.

Boy am I going to regret this one but.........can you explain to me why you believe this? By being on the forums I would believe that our bodies go into "starvation mode" over every single thing. Thankfully I understand mathmatically this whole scenario as described on these forums is impossible. Instead of attacking and saying how wrong this is, please can you explain why this is correct, why you believe this and what research you have seen to convince you of this enough to try to educate others? Seriously I do want to know and am open to any research backing this or any "starvation mode" views and yes I do understand adaptive thermodynamics, that is not what I am asking about.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What I said the last time this topic came up:

If I skip breakfast, it's a disaster. I'm chasing the hungries all day long, I make poor food choices, and I just in general feel crappy. So, for me, breakfast is absolutely essential. By morning I have been fasting for 12+ hours so I need fuel to function and get through my day.

In my opinion, not eating breakfast is like attempting a long roadtrip without stopping at the gas station to fill up the tank. And eating a huge dinner is like filling up the gas tank and then parking the car in the garage. Why put gas in the car if you're not going anywhere?

I have no science or spiffy research articles to share. (Nor do I have any snarky gifs to post.) This is just what I've found to be true for me.

Taking a long road trip starting with half a tank of gas doesn't stop the trip...doesn't make your car slower or make it stall out. You put gas in the vehicle when it needs it...maybe the car you are driving needs filled up...others have great gas mileage and can go 250-300 km on half a tank...but it's the drivers choice on when to put gas in that vehicle...and if they choose to do it right before they park who cares it's their gas and their vehicle.

The point is this...if you like eating within a couple hours of waking up...eat. If you don't...don't.

It doesn't matter it's a personal choice.

But there is no science to prove eating within xx# of minutes after getting up kick starts anything...it doesn't make you healthier and it doesn't impede weight loss if you choose to wait 6-8 hours after getting up...

I just went on a 600 mile road trip we didn't fill the tank until we went halfway (we started with 3/4th of a tank) and we were just fine.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options

(it doesn't)

Then sure.

1im·me·di·ate·ly

1al·most
    adverb \ˈȯl-ˌmōst, ȯl-ˈ\

Sorry about the butthurt, I did a lot of one-legged squats earlier. I don't know what the sockpuppet comment means.

But, some sugars can be absorbed into the blood in less than 15 min. It all depends on the gut and the delivery system. Anyone who has ever eaten a piece of candy on an empty stomach knows it doesn't take long to feel that sugar rush.

"Sock puppet"--fake account set up so you can agree with yourself. (just a definition, I'm not saying this is what you're doing).