vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options

Replies

• TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Well, the first one I tried, Blue Bell Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream, had the little caramel truffles, but not really a lot of caramel flavoring, so I got the syrup. Then I just kept using it (only 27 calories in 10 grams, which is plenty to add to 100g of ice cream. I love my scale) The Kemp's frozen yogurt was good too, and a better protein to fat/carb ratio (for my preferences). Now I'm getting Edy's slow churned caramel delite. Reduced fat, not nonfat (gotta have some) creamy as all get out, and when I need to skimp because I'm almost out of calories, It has plenty of flavor so doesn't actually need the syrup.

And I was very disappointed when the first grocery store I went to had an ice cream freezer that was half empty, and the other half was getting a bit melty (I'm guessing they were in the middle of emptying it to fix it) so had to go to another, more expensive store. But I have a little bowl with my delicious dessert in it. (and all the walking I did gave me 200 more calories. I see string cheese in my future as well.)
    20a40t3.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If only the test for offensiveness was what personally offended me and only me. I suppose I could also create a hierarchy of offensiveness for everyone to use and then expect everyone else to adhere to it...

...but that would just be silly, right?

Well said as usual. I'd be interested in the hierarchy of offensiveness according to Jof.

That said, the more I think about it, since we are talking about personal offences, I think I'd rather be called a whale than a trophy wife. At least as a whale, it is only a reflection of my outside appearance, which I can change. The term trophy wife means that people view me as having nothing to offer, no worth other than looks.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    This thing is going to roll isn't it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

roll-with-it-o.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

It looks like it is.

Many hours ago, I would have given long odds against it.
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Check out SmittenKitchen.com for a really easy recipe for salted caramel sauce.

Did you mean this one: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/10/paris-a-deep-dark-salted-butter-caramel-sauce/ ?

Oh myyyyyyyy. 1633 calories per batch - I sure hope a little goes a long way. :) To match the crappy Hershey's syrup I use, calorie wise, I'd need to get about 60 servings out of it (and that might change once I put the nutrition info for the ingredients I actually use, instead of using the generic ingredients) Looks delicious though. Definitely bookmarking it.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If only the test for offensiveness was what personally offended me and only me. I suppose I could also create a hierarchy of offensiveness for everyone to use and then expect everyone else to adhere to it...

I think there are differences and nuances in the realm of insults, sure I do.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options

I think there are differences and nuances in the realm of insults, sure I do.

I think that one might have been less about levels of offensiveness and more about applying your standards of offense to someone else.
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options

Well said as usual. I'd be interested in the hierarchy of offensiveness according to Jof.

That said, the more I think about it, since we are talking about personal offences, I think I'd rather be called a whale than a trophy wife. At least as a whale, it is only a reflection of my outside appearance, which I can change. The term trophy wife means that people view me as having nothing to offer, no worth other than looks.

I know what you mean, but for this particular instance, there's nothing someone in gym can know about you from observation beyond your appearance anyway. So calling someone a trophy wife doesn't even really mean anything beyond "pretty" (in a more b****y way of course) because the observer can not possibly know the intricacies of the woman's personal life.

That's why I don't see it as a harsh insult in this circumstance - and it's not like a specific person was outed by name as being a trophy wife. But anyway, I've probably exhausted this conversation. My main point is just that people are insecure and they say things without meaning them all the time - so the vitriol directed towards TC seemed excessive, but eh.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I know what you mean, but for this particular instance, there's nothing someone in gym can know about you from observation beyond your appearance anyway. So calling someone a trophy wife doesn't even really mean anything beyond "pretty" (in a more b****y way of course) because the observer can not possibly know the intricacies of the woman's personal life.

That's why I don't see it as a harsh insult in this circumstance - and it's not like a specific person was outed by name as being a trophy wife. But anyway, I've probably exhausted this conversation. My main point is just that people are insecure and they say things without meaning them all the time - so the vitriol directed towards TC seemed excessive, but eh.

Trophy wife doesn't just imply pretty as I pointed of above. That is the entire point.

I just don't see why it is ok to call someone derogatory name based on their looks just because they aren't overweight. If someone had posted about "whales" in the gym, it is still basing on someone's looks without knowing the intricacies of their personal life.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    ROLL!

rolling-puppy-animation.gif
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Insults to the mind and person cut deeper for me than to physicality. But, with that said, I do agree that her post was innocuous in it being generalized. She did not attack an individual. I found it to be more about her insecurity. Something that can be remedied with an understanding approach. People were responding in an oversensitive way, and caused the topic to spiral into many more emotional directions.

The majority response was my knee-jerk reaction as well. But, when I saw the pile on it did cause me to reflect on it instead.
  • ArchangelMJ
    Options

Insults to the mind and person cut deeper for me than to physicality. But, with that said, I do agree that her post was innocuous in it being generalized. She did not attack an individual. I found it to be more about her insecurity. Something that can be remedied with an understanding approach. People were responding in an oversensitive way, and caused the topic to spiral into many more emotional directions.

Exactly my point, I completely agree, thank you! SO glad someone understood what I was getting at.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Exactly my point, I completely agree, thank you! SO glad someone understood what I was getting at.

I understand.

I just disagree. I presume I'm allowed to disagree without one assuming I don't understand.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    The majority response was my knee-jerk reaction as well, but when I saw the pile on it caused me to reflect more.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The majority response was my knee-jerk reaction as well, but when I saw the pile on it caused me to reflect more.

I'm not fond of letting the actions of others sway me from my own personal reactions. That seems awfully close to being contrary for the sake of going against the grain, tbh.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I'm not fond of letting the actions of others sway me from my own personal reactions. That seems awfully close to being contrary for the sake of going against the grain, tbh.

Lol, because you are never contrary.

And no. It causes me to think about it more deeply instead of joking it off. The first point was made. So, I think.
  • evilkitty93
    Options
    This post made me face palm.

"Skinny people" have just as much right to go to ANY GYM that they want to, the same as with overweight people.

Don't thin shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you care as to what they look like? It's not your business what the other people look like.

Just focus on yourself and don't care about other's looks.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I actually only hate it when the gym is filled with people who use MFP. The place where "would you screw the person who posted above you" threads are a-ok, but "I feel insecure going to the gym" threads are followed by eighteen pages of "you're just jealous" posts and humblebrags.

By comparison, meathead and trophy wife are fairly innocuous.

Actually those threads all all suck too. But if you post in there complaining about it people would just rate you. Can't stop an avalanche by shaking your fist at it.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If I don't see people saying "people are judging me at the gym" I see "I'm judging people at the gym"! Where does it end?