vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The majority response was my knee-jerk reaction as well, but when I saw the pile on it caused me to reflect more.

I'm not fond of letting the actions of others sway me from my own personal reactions. That seems awfully close to being contrary for the sake of going against the grain, tbh.

Lol, because you are never contrary.

And no. It causes me to think about it more deeply instead of joking it off. The first point was made. So, I think.

Hmm. Other's may view me as contrary, but I consider myself opinionated. I rather pride myself on not going against people just because or being a hypocrite.

Your interpretation is off. If you read my responses you will see they were all my own spontaneous thoughts and never out of my character.

You admit you saw a 'pile on' and it caused you to change your view.

In what way is that not changing your view to go against the grain? How is that not the actual literal definition of contrary?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in for the sequel.

When I first found this thread, I immediately opened all nine pages (at the time) in separate tabs expecting it to disappear. It never did...so no way would I miss the sequel of this odds-defying thread...(even though there is no way the sequel will be anywhere near as good as the original).

ETA:

The end...

...just 12 pages later than I expected it to be.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The majority response was my knee-jerk reaction as well, but when I saw the pile on it caused me to reflect more.

I'm not fond of letting the actions of others sway me from my own personal reactions. That seems awfully close to being contrary for the sake of going against the grain, tbh.

And no. It causes me to think about it more deeply instead of joking it off. The first point was made. So, I think.

Hmm. Other's may view me as contrary, but I consider myself opinionated. I rather pride myself on not going against people just because or being a hypocrite.

Your interpretation is off. If you read my responses you will see they were all my own spontaneous thoughts and never out of my character.

In what way is that not changing your view to go against the grain? How is that not the actual literal definition of contrary?

My initial response was to say that if there was a gym for people 25 pounds overweight, they would very quickly be slim and fit people. That was already stated on the first page, maybe even the first response. Then I saw tons and tons of pages that I didn't bother reading because I'm busy. I could see the first point was made. I thought people were being a little over sensitive. That was my reaction to the responses initially. The responses cause new things to think about. And I did then think about it some more. Is it really that hard to understand. I don't think it is. Maybe this helped clear it up.

p.s. I also had a lemon drop martini with dinner. Perhaps I did not explain things well which led to this misunderstanding.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    large.gif
  • Achrya
    Options

My initial response was to say that if there was a gym for people 25 pounds overweight, they would very quickly be slim and fit people. That was already stated on the first page, maybe even the first response. Then I saw tons and tons of pages that I didn't bother reading because I'm busy. I could see the first point was made. I thought people were being a little over sensitive. That was my reaction to the responses initially. The responses cause new things to think about. And I did then think about it some more. Is it really that hard to understand. I don't think it is. Maybe this helped clear it up.

I confess, I'm both amused and flabbergasted that you would call other's oversensitive. And, further more, that you would take people being sensitive about something that obviously invokes emotion in them as a reason to then dismiss them and their emotions/experiences. And yet when other's are accused of being oversensitive in regards to a topic that means something to you, you'll become so offended that you'll enter other threads (made as jokes and full of good humor) to scold others.

That is the part I don't understand. Why is that someone making fun of an OP/Topic that resonates with you is wrong but a topic that resonates with me is hypersensitivity?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I confess, I'm both amused and flabbergasted that you would call other's oversensitive. And, further more, that you would take people being sensitive about something that obviously invokes emotion in them as a reason to then dismiss them and their emotions/experiences. And yet when other's are accused of being oversensitive in regards to a topic that means something to you, you'll become so offended that you'll enter other threads (made as jokes and full of good humor) to scold others.

That is the part I don't understand. Why is that someone making fun of an OP/Topic that resonates with you is wrong but a topic that resonates with me is hypersensitivity?

I guess my choice of words was not good. You are right about that. I will take that into consideration.

I see, you are upset with me about other threads. I made a mistake, but I apologized for it on that thread.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I didn't intend to dismiss anyone's feelings. I actually talked about how people have said that to me before...being something like a trophy wife. How I disliked it and how I handled it.
  • touslesmemes
    Options
    I'm definitely in for the sequel.

When I first found this thread, I immediately opened all nine pages (at the time) in separate tabs expecting it to disappear. It never did...so no way would I miss the sequel of this odds-defying thread...(even though there is no way the sequel will be anywhere near as good as the original).

with you on that.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am impressed has thread has lasted as long as it has. You guys didn't go to sleep
  • Achrya
    Options

I guess my choice of words was not good. You are right about that. I will take that into consideration.

I see, you are upset with me about other threads. I made a mistake, but I apologized for it on that thread.

No, I promise I'm only upset about this thread here. I don't mind you standing up for what you think is right/speaking out about something being triggering or offensive to you; I merely cannot fathom why you felt that was okay for you but not okay for others.

I think very highly of you (and if you recall said nothing bad about you in those past threads) so this is very confusing to me. I can understand that it means nothing to you but it means something to other people, clearly, so to see you so casually dismiss that is just...well it blows my mind.

I mean I dismiss people's feelings rather casually all the time. But I don't go around demanding that people consider my feelings while I dismiss their's (even here, in this thread, I'm not saying you should feel what other's feel, but rather I'm noting what seems to me to be hypocrisy.) because how can I demand of or cast judgement on those who do what I do?
  • Achrya
    Options
    I didn't intend to dismiss anyone's feelings. I actually talked about how people have said that to me before...being something like a trophy wife. How I disliked it and how I handled it.

You rather plainly called people oversensitive. How is that not dismissing people's feelings?

But. I suppose if you don't see it you don't see it. I have a night of raid healing ahead of me and I can't be alt-tabbing to play on MFP anymore; if my tank dies again I'll be sleeping on the couch.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

This topic is now locked. I think it jumped the shark long before it rolled and want to encourage posters to consider how posts that name call, attack, and body shame limit our ability to have a thoughtful discussion and necessitate topics being locked.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager