pet peeves at the gym

Options

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    People that leave their phones in the middle of the floor when I'm in an aerobics class. I've almost stepped on a few of them and of course it would be MY fault for not watching where I'm going.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    Or this one lady that likes to walk around naked in the dressing room, okay that is fine, but it's a FAMILY changing room with little girls. She looked great and maybe if I looked like that I would be walking around with her though!
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    My gripe is the lack of gym etiquette...many have been covered in the thread...number one to me is when people walk into my workout space when I go to the rack to change weights, or take my machine or bench when I get a drink. It's especially annoying if I kindly ask them to wait or move while I finish my last set or work in with me on a machine and they act annoyed or are rude about it.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When people use the fail rail on the squat rack to do shrug super sets and walk away for 20 minutes, especially when both squat racks are being used for this. Work in with each other, I'm actually trying to squat.

When people throw plates all over the floor and leave them there (as previously mentioned).

When people use machines for things other than their intended purpose: Stop putting the bottoms of your sneakers on the pad where my knees go on the dip machine, gross.

When I see dudes with giant pecs and biceps and tiny calves the size of my forearm. Why?
    Cuz they skip leg day! Wish I could find that meme...
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Lots of repeats of what other people have said. There's a reason I now have a home gym. I used to take zumba at a Gold's and my pet peeve there was how people would show up late (not 1 song late, but like.. 15 to 20 mins late to a PACKED 50 min class) and stand right up next to me. I'm 5'11. When I do the side lunges, my leg is going to come out pretty far. I have accounted for this and placed myself 3 ft from the wall as far in as I can. But the classes were always packed and, I assumed, first come first serve. In reality, they were first come, all served. Inevitably, someone would trounce in super late and stand at my elbow. Awesome.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Only one....Standing directly in front of the dumbelll rack where no one else can get any of the weights in that area. If you are strong enough to pick them up, I am sure you are strong enought to step back 6 feet so you are not blocking the rack. If you need to stand that close to the mirror to see yourself, go see an eye doctor. Very annoying. :grumble:

Yep good one
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    light hearted *kitten*... but nevertheless- it happened.
    he's an odd duck- sometimes it's easier to just let them make the comment and move on. Making a federal case about every comment isn't worth it.

Now- when he tries to covert me to low bar squatting and sumo DLing- we're going to have issues. LMAO

Anyone with the shoulder mobility to low bar squat is my hero. I just can't fathom that kind of shoulder mo.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Who goes to a gym? Not me!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    gmoney - had something like that prior to hurting my knee when I could squat BW. I was on my last rep, and this kid was trying to walk in between the wall and my squat rack. I told him curtly, "Stay" and went down for my last rep. so he darts forward, right as I'm racking the bar, and he takes the bar end full in the chest, dropping him to his butt.

I just gave him a "seriously?" look, and helped him up.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Please ...rack....your...weights ... 10lbs goes where they marked the thing with a "10lbs" sticker.

I'm not sure what makes me more sad, the lack of weight racking or the inability to match numbers. Is this a reflection on the deterioration of home teaching of manners AND our education system?

^ Worse than not racking is the not putting them in the proper place. Some dufuses in my gym consistently rack all the little plates, especially 5's 10s and 2.5s on the rack after the 45s... I'd much rather pick them up off the floor than have to un rack and re-rack each little plate to get to a 45 first. Its getting so frequent and annoying in my gym that lately I've been getting tempted to just pull the 45 off and let it take all the little plates to the floor for me and leave them there: they can be in a pile next to the rack on the floor and not bother others if you cant put them back in the right place then! ;)
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Not cleaning equipment every time they are done. I even went to far to say excuse me can you clean this since I wanted on the machine next (it was the only one open) and he promptly replied that "he showers its ok" ****ing gross. There's signs EVERY where saying to please wipe down after use. I don't want to sit in your *kitten*/ball sweat.

People who scream on their cell phones the whole time-- I don't care about your drama and don't want to hear you over my music that I'm even playing loudly.

People who take up 3-4 machines at once, keep bouncing from one to the other and give attitude if you take one you didn't know they're using. These people are also the ones that never clean all the machines once they're done.

There was a girl once that kept making awkward LOUD sex noises the entire time she worked out. Only saw her once but it was pretty weird lol.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I usually just have my headphones on, listen to music, and go about my workout not minding others too much. My one peeve is people that use more than one thing at the same time. For example I walked up to the empty tricep pull down machine the other day, no towell there, no water bottle or anything, and I start setting the weight up for me. This guy who's doing dumbell arm curles in a mirror 15 feet away walks up to tell me he's still using the machine and starts setting it back to his weights.

Not really a big deal because I can skip ahead in my workout and come back to it later. For some reason it just bugs me when people tie up two things at once in a crowded gym.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Mine happened TWICE today. Running on a treadmill with lots - lots - of empty treadmills around. No one else in the entire row. And TWO different guys picked the treadmill right next to mine. Really?? Really? Give me some space yo.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand it when the guys, even the girls at the gym sound like they are having full fledged orgasms when they are lifting weights. Seriously, I get embarrassed if I breathe too heavy :blushing:
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Alright, a chance to complain! I usually go to the gym in the middle of the night because I hate people, um I mean pet peeves so much. I get distracted easily, so either one of these could throw me off my whole session:

- People who yell into a mobile phone. They may think they are talking in a conversational tone of voice but they aren't. The volume is actually between loud and screaming, depending on how out of breath they are.

- People who use the machines as their personal park bench. Some just sit there looking around or reading the paper/a magazine. A few have the courtesy to pretend to be doing the exercise. But barely shifting 20 pounds on the leg exercise machine for 5+ minutes kind of gives them away. Please to sit in the nice comfy chairs in the lobby instead of hogging a machine.

- People who pick a locker directly under mine, when it's not crowded. At 6 am or pm on a weekday, it makes sense every locker is taken. 4:30 am on a Sunday, why not pick one of the other hundred empty lockers without a used locker next to it? Maybe they don't mind being leaned over but I resent having to lean over someone.

- People who bring anything other than water and a towel with them on the workout floor. I can't tell you how many times I've had to tip toe around to avoid tripping on a bag that had no business being there. What the heck is so important it can't be left in a locker, at home or in the car? 98% of the time, I never see anyone open the bag while working out.

- People who pop and smack their gum, loudly, while working out. If they were really challenging themselves, they'd probably choke on the gum from breathing hard. Instead these are usually the ones hanging with friends, watching them workout.

Ah, that was a nice release.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand it when the guys, even the girls at the gym sound like they are having full fledged orgasms when they are lifting weights. Seriously, I get embarrassed if I breathe too heavy :blushing:
    What about literal roaring?
  • RM95NM88
    RM95NM88 Posts: 9
    Options
    I only have one. The people who want to chat between your workouts. Uhm hello! we'll socialize afterwards.
  • RM95NM88
    RM95NM88 Posts: 9
    Options

sometimes we just can't help it. put your earphones back in and you'll be fine ;-)