pet peeves at the gym

Options

Replies

• trakuen
    trakuen Posts: 2
    Options
    Women who look at themselves in the mirror constantly. Checking out the way they look, how their hair and make-up is, always on their phones and barely even working out! It is not a fashion show! Work out or go home!
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! This thread is hilarious! After 7 years working at 2 public swimming pools: women are FAR dirtier than men (see the first page of this thread if you don't believe me) and old people love to be naked and talk to you (but really if I make it to that age maybe I'll enjoy being naked and messing with people for fun, lol)

I set up a home gym, because why pay a yearly fee, when if you take a couple of yearly fees you can buy your own equipment (if you're lucky enough to have the space). It pays for itself over time. This thread definitely justifies that choice! So convenient, and no inconsiderate people. (they also wreck going to the movies too)
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    When you run into people you know and they decide to start an hour long convo with you in the middle of your workout. Like STFU! I'm not here to talk to you >:|
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    those tall guys who leave their damned weighted barbells on the rack.

so not only do i have to take the weights off, but i also have to navigate stools around to do it
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand it when the guys, even the girls at the gym sound like they are having full fledged orgasms when they are lifting weights. Seriously, I get embarrassed if I breathe too heavy :blushing:

A good friend of mine (god bless his soul) has a very similar sense of humor as me and isn't afraid to let it out. He hardly ever works out, but one day he went to the gym with me and overheard some dudebro putting on a show as he was lifting.

My friend being my friend, he walks over to the chest press machine right next to this guy, removes the pin so there is no weight attached at all, and makes a huge show trying to get that one rep done. He's breathing heavy, and in a voice I can only describe as a pitch-perfect imitation of a South American shemale, he starts going from breathing into moaning, louder, and louder, and right when he finishes the rep he screams out AIIIIII, PAPIIIIIIII! for the entire gym and probably three blocks of offices to hear.

He calmly returns the machine to the starting position, puts the pin back, and walks out looking winded.

HAHA now those are the times you want to have your cell phone with you! Hilarious!
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand it when the guys, even the girls at the gym sound like they are having full fledged orgasms when they are lifting weights. Seriously, I get embarrassed if I breathe too heavy :blushing:

A good friend of mine (god bless his soul) has a very similar sense of humor as me and isn't afraid to let it out. He hardly ever works out, but one day he went to the gym with me and overheard some dudebro putting on a show as he was lifting.

My friend being my friend, he walks over to the chest press machine right next to this guy, removes the pin so there is no weight attached at all, and makes a huge show trying to get that one rep done. He's breathing heavy, and in a voice I can only describe as a pitch-perfect imitation of a South American shemale, he starts going from breathing into moaning, louder, and louder, and right when he finishes the rep he screams out AIIIIII, PAPIIIIIIII! for the entire gym and probably three blocks of offices to hear.

He calmly returns the machine to the starting position, puts the pin back, and walks out looking winded.

Dead. :devil: :laugh:

Your friend sounds fun, let's hang out. Outside of the gym, that is.

I hope dudebro got a complex after that episode.
  • ariesflame
    ariesflame Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Women who look at themselves in the mirror constantly. Checking out the way they look, how their hair and make-up is, always on their phones and barely even working out! It is not a fashion show! Work out or go home!

make- up? at the gym? .. why?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Some people go to the gym right after work. They just don't bother to take the makeup off. Others can't stand to be seen in public without makeup for various reasons.

Might as well ask why gym goers bother to color-coordinate their workout clothes, etc. Just because.
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    I have a bunch of them. That is why I bought my own rack, barbell, plates and bench.
    *People who try to tell me squats are bad for your knees. I squat every workout for the last 5 months and my knees are in excellent shape.
    *The "No Deadlifting rule"
    *No Chalk rule.
    *People who have really bad form trying to go heavier each set
    *People who try to talk to me in the middle of a set
    *Selfies
    *Smith Machines
    *Girls with a lot of make up.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Some people go to the gym right after work. They just don't bother to take the makeup off. Others can't stand to be seen in public without makeup for various reasons.

Might as well ask why gym goers bother to color-coordinate their workout clothes, etc. Just because.

:laugh: right?

those peeves always come off as "i hate it when people look cuter than me while at the gym" :sad:

this year i plan on perfecting the perfect liquid liner doe eye+ amplified pink lipstick+ 150 pound bench press :laugh:
  • dizzylizzie34
    Options
    This one girl was walking around naked in the locker room and then used a hair blow dryer to dry off her pubes! and then she sat down and picked/dug at her toenails. disgusting. THE GYM IS NOT YOUR HOME
  • ariesflame
    ariesflame Posts: 82 Member
    Options

What's wrong with wanting to look your best in public? Someone wearing make-up should be of no concern to anyone, how can this be a pet peeve? It's just pure vindictive jealousy.

its no pet peeve, just doesn't compute. chill.

then again, make up in general doesn't compute on my hard drive. But I'm not hating on Macs just because I'm PC.
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just really hate people who sit on the weight machines not doing anything. I got through 5 of my 6 exercises while eying the girl sitting on the machine I needed for the 6th. She sat there for over 30 minutes, not doing anything, and when I asked her if I could use it she just said "Ugh, I guess" in a really snotty tone.

I go to the gym to get my **** done. I do my sets and then I move on.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    im sure its been said but this thread was depressing me because i had convinced mysefl that people didnt give a **** about my form and are more concerned with their own business. and that i was allowed to be there even when my strength and skill isnt perfect yet. unfortunately i am finding that there really ARE people judging other peoples workouts.

why should you care about some strangers progress?

now i have to go back to convincing myself that people arent judging me even though i am fat and have lung and lower back problems and do the best i can.

damn you.

i hate push ups. cant do a good one to save my life. but when the instructor tells me to do them i keep doing them anyway. one of these days i will be strong enough to get it right.

get over yourselves those who care about whether other people are perfect or not.

i understand hygeine issues and issues with etiquette.
  • emcgehee1
    emcgehee1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay this is embarrassing but I feel goofy wiping down the machines as I doubt I have ever dripped a drop of sweat in my life. I get a sheen of sweat but no dripping drops - obviously not working hard enough.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Dudebros have to properly highlight their cheekbones somehow.

Dude, mascara brings out the natural awesome of my eyes, shut it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

The real question is.... why not??

it doesn't bother you... it makes me feel better- so why does it bother you at all.

Stop hating because you cant' do make up.
  • chiliqueen359
    chiliqueen359 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a former gym worker then manager (in the south), It is the staff's responsibility to make the floor run smoothly. Walking around with spray bottle and putting it down beside a sweating man and giving him a big ole smile will give him the hit. Walking up to jabbering women on machines not using is the staff's problem and can be easily pushed to finishing with "ya'll stop ya yakking and finish!" The staff should remind big burly men to be sure to put up those 6 45# off the squat machine. Complain to management about the things ya'll are fussing about. You have a legit complaint and it should be remedied.
  • bekkyhadley
    bekkyhadley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't so much have over all pet peeves but there's two woman at the gym who annoy me.
    First is 'can't make up her mind' lady - who seems to pick one person to follow around every time she's there and just do what they do. She'll spend the 30 minutes she's there and go on everything for only about 2-5 minutes so maybe 5 minutes on the treadmill then 2 seconds of core work outs then 2 minutes on a bike and then back to the core and then one the weight machines and then she'll do some cooling down and stretching and then back on the treadmill. over and over and over.

second is 'annoying naked lady' - the locker room @ my gym isn't very big - 4 cubicles, 5 showers and then some benches and lockers. Annoying naked lady seems to feel the need to get butt naked, go and have a shower, come and stand outside an empty cubicle and get all her stuff out of her bag and then she'll dry her hair, put on her jewellery and make-up while standing in the middle of the room in everyone's way while still being naked.

Can you not.