Couch to 5K (C25K) Starting today. Anyone interested?

Options

Replies

• laurzishot
    Options
    Hey, yay finally a couch25k topic where people are all in about week 1 :) I'm doing W1 D3 tomorrow and can't wait I'm so excited for the end result of being able to run for so long. I myself am using the iPhone app for the couch25k program and it's really awesome, you can play your own music and it gives you lots of voice prompts and stuff. I've decided that once this 9 week program is finished I'm going to start another app called bridge to 10k which is basically for couch25k graduates who want to learn to run for even longer. Anyways for anyone who is reading this just to introduce myself I'm Lauren and yeah can't wait to run with you all and keep each other motivated :)
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 Complete
    30 mins~ 2.33 miles ~ 306 Cals burned
    Warm Up & 90 sec @ 4.0; 60 sec @ 6.0; Cool Down @ 3.7
    I went to the gym last night, was going to attempt the first stage of jogging, but I got too nervous and didn't. *sighs*

Angelic, just go @ your own pace and you will be fine. Good Luck!
    Also this is my first time doing this- want to make sure i understand the concept of this- is the goal to finish the whole time of ( in my case the podcast is 29:30 minutes ) jogging/running.. or is the goal to finish and complete 5 k in that time ..

Might sound a little " duuh " .. but.. what are your goals ? Just to finish the whole time - or to complete the 5 k in that time .. hope you can understand my question ..
    Bosanka, here is the link for the running plan we are going by: http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1
    Hey, yay finally a couch25k topic where people are all in about week 1 :) I'm doing W1 D3 tomorrow and can't wait I'm so excited for the end result of being able to run for so long. I myself am using the iPhone app for the couch25k program and it's really awesome, you can play your own music and it gives you lots of voice prompts and stuff. I've decided that once this 9 week program is finished I'm going to start another app called bridge to 10k which is basically for couch25k graduates who want to learn to run for even longer. Anyways for anyone who is reading this just to introduce myself I'm Lauren and yeah can't wait to run with you all and keep each other motivated :)

Welcome Lauren! Depending on how I handle this program, maybe I'll do the bridge to 10k with you.

Everyone have a HEALTHY THANKSGIVING! :flowerforyou:
  • frubjious
    Options
    Hi!

I'm a little late to come to this but I'd love to join in too. Running has always been my weak spot so I'm really keen to finally manage something like this.
  • PrincessPudgy
    Options
    you can do it, angelic! start with a fast walk if you feel more comfortable that way :)

Thanks :) I do walk fast. I tried again today, but couldn't quite gather up the courage to try to jog again. I dont know what's holding me back! I guess all I can do it try again tomorrow. Hopefully once I finally manage it I wont find it hard to continue to do it because I'll know I CAN do it. I just don't understand why I'm so intimidated.
  • cocodp
    cocodp Posts: 164
    Options
    W1D2 done last night.

Sabotaged myself though. I thought after day 1 I could increase my speed just a little because I felt it was easy. Boy was I wrong. After the 2nd interval my shins were burning so much I had to slow down to a casual walking pace and did that for 30 minutes instead.

Lesson learned...take my time and build up to a running pace.

Going to do D3 tonight and I actually can't wait.

Happy Thanksgiving to our friends south of the border!
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    Hi Lauren, welcome! My day 3 will be on Friday, too :)
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    you can do it, angelic! start with a fast walk if you feel more comfortable that way :)

Thanks :) I do walk fast. I tried again today, but couldn't quite gather up the courage to try to jog again. I dont know what's holding me back! I guess all I can do it try again tomorrow. Hopefully once I finally manage it I wont find it hard to continue to do it because I'll know I CAN do it. I just don't understand why I'm so intimidated.
    angelica, guess what? i hadn't run in over 7 years. not on purpose anyways. LOL
    i would walk on the treadmill fast and just like you...i wanted to run, but something held me back.
    so i started reading about this c25k and i figured nobody at the gym knows me, so screw it.
    my first day i walked at my normal pace (3.5) and when it was time to run, i ran at 4.3
    man i was SO stoked! i felt strong. i felt like a runner. i felt like all those skinny girls at the gym that run all the time.
    i imagined myself running around my neighborhood with toned legs and cute running shorts.

then i passed those skinny running girls on their treadmills on the way out and saw they were running MUCH faster. LOL
    dang! I thought I was running pretty fast. turns out, my run speed is the walk speed of most people.
    oh well.
    ya know what? it's a run for me! and it's amazing what running - even at my pace - did for my self esteem.

when you're ready, just try to jog at any speed. we all need to go at our own pace :)
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    W1D2 done last night.

Sabotaged myself though. I thought after day 1 I could increase my speed just a little because I felt it was easy. Boy was I wrong. After the 2nd interval my shins were burning so much I had to slow down to a casual walking pace and did that for 30 minutes instead.

Lesson learned...take my time and build up to a running pace.

Going to do D3 tonight and I actually can't wait.

Happy Thanksgiving to our friends south of the border!
    ditto this. bc i had a friend comment that 4.3 was a walking pace, i tried to bump myself to 5.0. idk who i was trying to prove something to. i found that i had to lower my walking pace down to recover, which in turn burned less calories.

from now on i'm sticking to what my body is ready for.

glad you're doing this with me and welcome to all our new runners :)
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Did W1D2 last night. Legs stiff from working out last night. I needed to burn the calories though.
    5 min warm up
    10 intervals 60 seconds @ 6.5mph
    10 intervals 90 seconds at 3.0mph
    Can't state the calories I burned because I did the elliptical after and didn't stop my HRM
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    week 1 - day one : time : 29.30 - distance 1,708- kcl - 210
    week 1 - day two : time 29.30 distance 1,801, kcl 225
    week 1 day three ( did outside while hiking don't know the numbers - will repeat by the end of this week on the treadmill - but it was soooo good to do it outside on the fresh air ) ..
  • tranmann87
    Options
    don't know if anyone has mentioned this but itunes has the couch to 5k on podcast for free download....or at leas they did last i checked.

i saw c to 5k about a year ago when i was getting ready to do a 5k. started it but never saw it all the way through. i've kind of been stuck on week 6 at the run for 25 minutes part for like a year haha. i've been using MFP for a few months now to log my calories but haven't really been on the forums. count me in, i'd like to do a 5k without stopping to walk.
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just did W3 D1 and it went really well, which I`m really pleased about as I was quite nervous about how it would go.

This is definately working as I know I couldnt have done it when I first started :smile:

I`m really looking forward to the next one now. :bigsmile:
  • marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Very intrigued. I am considering joining, but my follow through has not been the best lately. I may have to give it a try, though.
  • marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    Options
  • AmberBelandria
    AmberBelandria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fan of running because I have never been good at it. I always have to stop and walk. Read the program and I would be willing to try. I would love to say I did it. I will start Sunday or Monday the 28th or 29th. This will be in addition to P90x...I am on week two day four of that. Good Luck to Everyone!! Gonna try this running thing....:))
  • jayjayingram
    Options
    Day 3 Week 1 Complete! Feeling a bit tender!
  • laurzishot
    Options
    Wow it sounds like everyone is doing really well! I just finished W1 D3 today and have found that it was a lot easier than my first run in the program. Can't wait to start week two next week!!

loveme445 - that would be great i'd love to have people join me :) i'm already looking forward to doing the bridge to 10k and i only just finished the first week of c25k :P

virgierox - thanks! and yay our running will probably be in sync how awesome :D
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    finished week 1 tonight!

when it gets near the end and my mind says it's ok to end the program early bc it's getting hard, i picture myself just like i said before...toned legs, cute running shorts, running in my neighborhood. strong. a runner. i know i have a loooooong way to get there, butt i will finish every interval and i will finish this 9 weeks.

I'm strangely looking forward to week 2 on Monday.
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    W3 D2 done. Very encouraging as it seemed a lot easier than day 2. Looking forward to D3 on Monday now :smile:
  • Jessibear2854
    Jessibear2854 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Is it too late? I want to do this, too.

I love running... used to run cross country in my younger days. I'll try to fit in the first one today, although I will have to do it with DS in the jogging stroller.