not-that-heavy girls trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the place for me. I am 6'4" and 195 lbs. I've always been thin and athletic but since I had my son, my thighs and butt could use a little work. My goal is to lose 1 pants size....not sure how many pounds I will have to lose, but not that many. :)
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Very motivated when looking back at this thread!!! :):):)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    welcome to the new folks, I am glad we could start this again. I hope we can support each other and share our tips and tricks for success. I don't have any tricks per se, just trying to eat and exercise and have a deficit of calories.
    I am going to Domincan Republic in February and want to look good in a bikini.
    I'll repeat what was said in the other thread and that's just that it takes time and consistency when you are close to goal weight, the calorie-deficit is small and the difference between losing and maintaining is only 200 calories for some of us who aren't going below 1200 cals/day. -3500 is one pound of fat, so a -200 daily deficit, well, it takes about 17.5 days to lose one pound of fat! but it's not all a science and losing weight is a personal thing. So if a cheat day works, if a fasting day works, do what works for you.

I'm going to DR at the end of Feb too!! I want to lose about 15 lbs but mostly I want to lose inches and feel good in "summer clothes" and wear a bathing suit! I've been with my fiance since I was 17 (11 years now) and he has never seen me in a bathing suit. I'm 5'2" and 147 lbs, which means I'm a little over the "healthy weight" for my height. People tell me oh no need to lose weight! you look good! but as everyone in this thread is saying....might look ok in clothes, but not without them or in a bathing suit! lol
    this thread seems like great motivation. thanks for starting it!

When are you going? Where are you staying? We just booked Feb. 19-23 at the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro. It is getting some negative reviews on trip advisor recently, though!
    I am thinking of trying Insanity or p90, p90x, right after I finish Gateway to 8k on Saturday. I still want to run, but I am not sure what kind of schedule to keep once I am off the program.
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I'm 5"4 and weigh around 141 at my last weigh-in (which was over two weeks ago, think I'm under 140 now but hate hate hate weighing myself)...but anyway, do you guys ever feel like there are unrealistic expectations for healthy girls who may be on the upper end of the healthy BMI?

I never know whether I 'should be' skinny or whether or not it's 'okay to be curvy'. I guess I go back and forth about what I want myself, but I feel like society sends us mixed messages too.

For now, I'm comfortable trying to lose a little weight and get toned.

Confusing post, I know...:smile:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Maybe this should be called skinny girls getting skinnier! Some of you are at a starting weight of where I would want to be, but you still want to lose more! I'm 5'6" and weigh 153 and have been trying to get to 145 forever. I've been building noticeable muscle so I'm not all discouraged. I know everyone carries their weight differently but to see people taller than me, wanting to get down into the 120's....I don't see why. Guess I'd rather keep some womanly curves.

Because all bodies are different and some of us will still have those curves at that weight. When I weighed 126, I was a size 6 and had disproportionately larger hips and thighs. (I was wearing small tops and medium bottoms on bathing suits, for example).

For me to have an hourglass shape, I can't be in the 130s since that weight gives me a classic pear that I hate to death on me!
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    How do you post pictures in the threads? I haven't figured that one out yet and I wanted to do it for when I started my own personal motivation thread soon.
  • jenocelot
    Options
    Cute pic, Wendy! In regular world people call me the little thing, skinny b*#ch, etc. Several (overweight) people have told me they thought I was anorexic (lordy, NO) or bulimic (double NO) -- ...different standards. I am 5'2, highest was 122 which had me feeling bloated and bulging out of size 6 jeans. I', now 107 but prefer 102; hoping to get back there, wear a 0, 2, and (baggy yay) 4 now and have good muscle tone -- but need to work on upper body muscle tone and maintain.

Running helps me stay low. I got to 98 and did look gaunt -- loved how clothes fit and how Ifelt, but angular bony look was not so lovely. 102 is my magic #. Mostly I like feeling FIT and ENERGETIC, and I did not feel that way at 122. : ) Glad to hear from others in similar place.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I like your bikini pic, Wendy! I love Jamiaca too, that is where I got engaged 2 and half years ago.
    I know many of us hate it when people say we don't need to lose weight, or exercise, or eat healthfully; but another thing that bothers me is that people assume I think they are fat, like, you think you need to lose weight, you must think I'm a cow! I don't, and it even made me kinda sad to see that post that said she was too fat for this thread.
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    welcome to the new folks, I am glad we could start this again. I hope we can support each other and share our tips and tricks for success. I don't have any tricks per se, just trying to eat and exercise and have a deficit of calories.
    I am going to Domincan Republic in February and want to look good in a bikini.
    I'll repeat what was said in the other thread and that's just that it takes time and consistency when you are close to goal weight, the calorie-deficit is small and the difference between losing and maintaining is only 200 calories for some of us who aren't going below 1200 cals/day. -3500 is one pound of fat, so a -200 daily deficit, well, it takes about 17.5 days to lose one pound of fat! but it's not all a science and losing weight is a personal thing. So if a cheat day works, if a fasting day works, do what works for you.

I'm going to DR at the end of Feb too!! I want to lose about 15 lbs but mostly I want to lose inches and feel good in "summer clothes" and wear a bathing suit! I've been with my fiance since I was 17 (11 years now) and he has never seen me in a bathing suit. I'm 5'2" and 147 lbs, which means I'm a little over the "healthy weight" for my height. People tell me oh no need to lose weight! you look good! but as everyone in this thread is saying....might look ok in clothes, but not without them or in a bathing suit! lol
    this thread seems like great motivation. thanks for starting it!

When are you going? Where are you staying? We just booked Feb. 19-23 at the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro. It is getting some negative reviews on trip advisor recently, though!
    I am thinking of trying Insanity or p90, p90x, right after I finish Gateway to 8k on Saturday. I still want to run, but I am not sure what kind of schedule to keep once I am off the program.

We are going to PUnta Cana and staying at Dreams Punta Cana. I have NEVER been on a "beach vacation" before due to the not wanting to wear a bathing suit!! So I am using this as motivation to go go go.

What is this Insanity workout everyone talks about???
  • cakeslovesbaking
    Options
    Thank you for this post!!! I now feel like I fit in. I am 5ft 4 and a half inche (yes the half is important) and 116lb and would like to be 110lb and no less. I am really struggling with the last few lbs. Good Luck to you all.:flowerforyou:
  • amysj303
    Options
    I cannot believe you have not been in a bathing suit, what a great reward-not that shopping for a bathing suit is much of a reward, but a beach vacation to Punta Cana sure is!
    cakeslovesbaking, I am 5'4 and my goal weight is 110 too, I am really close but I have not been able to stick there.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

It's a heart pounding, insanely intense, 60 day cardio workout program from Beachbody with the trainer Shaun T. I love Insanity and it burns sooo many calories. You should check it out if you want a high calorie burn AND huge increases in your cardiovascular health.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    I actually really hate it when people say "Why are you trying to lose weight, why are you dieting? You're so small." Let me go put on a bikini and you'll see why.

He he he.....I feel the same way!! I have a lot of toning up to do IMO. :grumble:
  • mcrawley22
    Options

It's a heart pounding, insanely intense, 60 day cardio workout program from Beachbody with the trainer Shaun T. I love Insanity and it burns sooo many calories. You should check it out if you want a high calorie burn AND huge increases in your cardiovascular health.

is it a video?? I live in an apartment building so it is hard to do any workout that i am jumping around and making lots of noise. I don't appreciate the people above us doing it so I wouldn't want to do it to the people below. But I'm interested learning more about it :) maybe "borrow" my friends garage/workout space to do it if it is
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    asjerven - I actually get sick to my stomach thinking about trying on a bathing suit. I went to the mall the other day and could NOT bring myself to walk in the bathing suit store. Doesnt help that everyone says "you don't need to lose anything! you would look great in a bathing suit"
    man oh man I am getting sick to my stomach thinking about it now!
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    I'm 5"4 and weigh around 141 at my last weigh-in (which was over two weeks ago, think I'm under 140 now but hate hate hate weighing myself)...but anyway, do you guys ever feel like there are unrealistic expectations for healthy girls who may be on the upper end of the healthy BMI?

I never know whether I 'should be' skinny or whether or not it's 'okay to be curvy'. I guess I go back and forth about what I want myself, but I feel like society sends us mixed messages too.

For now, I'm comfortable trying to lose a little weight and get toned.

Confusing post, I know...:smile:

I completely understand! I am 5'11" and currently weigh somewhere between 160-165. I don't like to weigh in anymore because it just frustrates me that I am not losing any weight! I would love to be at a goal weight of 150, but I have shifted my focus to lifting weights to tone instead of trying to lose weight. Ultimately, I doesn't matter what the number on the scale is as long as I am fitting into smaller sizes and losing inches!
  • amysj303
    Options
    I can't believe it is so bad that you get physically ill! Trust me, it's not nearly as awful as you have built it up, even at your current weight. I hope that fear is motivating or you might need a shrink more than a diet/exercise plan:tongue:
  • ZeOphelia
    ZeOphelia Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would say that there are unrealistic expectations placed on girls on the upper end of the BMI.

What is seen as socially desireable is like... well... Barbie. Or Lily Cole.

However, being one of those girls on the upper end, I know that I want to look MY best. Which won't mean Barbie. Even if I were anorexic, my rib cage would still be much bigger than hers. I just want to look more trim and toned than I do now.

Okay, </rambling>
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Can I join in? I've been playing with the idea of loosing a little bit of weight. I'm 5'3" and a HALF, lol, 5'4" with shoes. I surpassed my goal weight this past August which was set fairly high so that I could at least reach it. I hit 140 and quickly dropped another 25 pounds to 115. Very happy at that weight. Very comfortable in size 0/1. I joined a gym and I've gained 5 pounds. lol! I've been running non-stop so I know that I'm building muscle but I know that even though my pants fit the same, I really want the scale to read what I want it to read.

They say the last 5-10 pounds are the hardest to loose? THEY were right. My scale doesn't budge. I don't know what else I can or could or would do to loose weight. I have goals for the month of December to try and tone up, slim down a bit. My goals are to: Cut out refined sugar, Run/Walk the distance from Nazareth to Bethlehem, Run for 30 Minutes Straight or Three Miles, Ab Routine 3x's Weekly.

Have you made goals to help you attain your weight loss? Do you want to write out what your plans are so that we can hold ourselves accountable? :o) I really want to attempt this and its nice to see other gals in the same boat! :o)
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    I can't believe it is so bad that you get physically ill! Trust me, it's not nearly as awful as you have built it up, even at your current weight. I hope that fear is motivating or you might need a shrink more than a diet/exercise plan:tongue:

LOL well I'm 28 and haven't worn a bathing suit since I was a kid!! Plus I can't swim and am afraid of the water so that has always been an excuse I use to not have to wear one either. Fear is definitely motivating me right now! I am headed to workout with my trainer right now actually :)