not-that-heavy girls trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Beautiful thread! I am just trying to get to 135 and am currently at 142.5. I a full time teacher and have also been a grad student, more or less part time (I am finishing my thesis this year!!). I got married this past summer and was able to really kick it into gear over the summer, but since school has started, I have packed on what I have lost. SOOOO frustrating. I WISH I could slow down and eat during my lunch, but I have 20 minutes, so I scarf down all of my food. AND my lunch is at 10:40 in the morning! So, by the time school ends at 2:30, I am starving. My husband is a musician so we don't eat together often and I am definitely an emotional eater, so at night I tend to consume most of my calories. However, I have been working hard this week. Although, I had a really tough day at school today and am drinking a glass of wine instead of working out. I have a rehearsal in a little bit and I noticed that I can count playing an instrument as some cardio work! SWEET!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Beautiful thread! I am just trying to get to 135 and am currently at 142.5. I a full time teacher and have also been a grad student, more or less part time (I am finishing my thesis this year!!). I got married this past summer and was able to really kick it into gear over the summer, but since school has started, I have packed on what I have lost. SOOOO frustrating. I WISH I could slow down and eat during my lunch, but I have 20 minutes, so I scarf down all of my food. AND my lunch is at 10:40 in the morning! So, by the time school ends at 2:30, I am starving. My husband is a musician so we don't eat together often and I am definitely an emotional eater, so at night I tend to consume most of my calories. However, I have been working hard this week. Although, I had a really tough day at school today and am drinking a glass of wine instead of working out. I have a rehearsal in a little bit and I noticed that I can count playing an instrument as some cardio work! SWEET!

You can SO count playing an instrument as cardio! I had to say...your profile pic is beautiful! What an absolutely beaming bride! That dress is amazing!!! :o) Don't beat yourself up. You are in a whole new time of your life...balancing being a new wife, work, rehearsals...you will find your groove! :o)
  • prettier_me
    prettier_me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'5" and about 155 pounds! i'd love to get down to 125 :]
    i'm new here, so please help me!
  • Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    TaraMaria-
    Thank you for the kind words. I have just been going through my wedding pics and have been feeling sentimental and nostalgic, already! It was a great day, and yes, the dress was smashing :) That picture was taken shortly after hair and makeup. Pictures from the end of the night are not so complimentary :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    It is a good idea to put down our goals. I am tempted to slack off in December because there is so much going on, but I am finishing up Gateway to 8k this week, and that has only been running 3 times a week, but for 50 minutes. So, I don't want to lose the progress I have made running, but the 30 minutes of Couch to 5k was more manageable so I am thinking about going back to couch to 5k but running the whole 30 minutes and working on my speed so that I can finally run 5k in 30 minutes.
    Then in Januray I think I will do some sort of cross-training and stricter on the food-especially beer.
    Tell me about Insanity and P90X-how long are the workouts? Do you need any equipment? Are they DVDs or can you just get them on exerciseTV? I am cheap;) er frugal... In January I will have less than 60 days to get into a bikini.
  • amysambora
    Options
    It's great reading everyone's goals and motivations :)

I saw a post a while back asking why we want to lose more weight when we're already small. I just wanted to say this:

For most of my life, I was about 132. That was my happy, comfortable weight. I have a wardrobe full of clothes that fit me at that weight. Three years ago I moved in with my now-fiance and started a full time office job. Eating man-size meals and sitting on my butt all day caused my weight to balloon to 160. Still not huge, but too big for my frame, and more importantly, too big for any of my clothes! I'm at 138 now but I'm already fitting back into my old clothes because I've gained muscle. I'm feeling positive about getting back to 132 if possible, maybe a little smaller if I can do it - if not, at least I'll be comfortable and healthy!

I don't think any of us here think we are 'fat', we're simply trying to get back to the weight that is comfortable and practical for us. So keep going girls, and don't let anyone bring you down! Do what's best for you!
  • mamaisis09
    Options
    i'm 5'5" and about 155 pounds! i'd love to get down to 125 :]
    i'm new here, so please help me!

I am about the same weight as you and the same height, however I couldn't imagine being 125... different frames I guess.. I don't think being 155 and 5'5'' qualifies as overweight though, so don't feel terrible
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I'm interested! I am 152 lbs at 5'5''... I would like to be 140lbs... Yay for us flabby skinny girls... lol (I don't consider myself skinny at all btw)

I actually really hate it when people say "Why are you trying to lose weight, why are you dieting? You're so small." Let me go put on a bikini and you'll see why.
    Your last sentence made me laugh lol. That is so true, isn't it? Everyone's always saying to me that I'm skinny, but I'm like no I'm not really. That just made my day :laugh:
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would say that there are unrealistic expectations placed on girls on the upper end of the BMI.

What is seen as socially desireable is like... well... Barbie. Or Lily Cole.

However, being one of those girls on the upper end, I know that I want to look MY best. Which won't mean Barbie. Even if I were anorexic, my rib cage would still be much bigger than hers. I just want to look more trim and toned than I do now.

Agreed!

I'm at the upper end of my BMI, 134lbs. @ 5'2", and have been contemplating going another 4-5lbs, after maintaining now for 8 months...and would be against Hubby & family's advice...eek :ohwell:

Like another previous poster said, I'm confused as to what to identify with "skinny" or "curvy". As in, I got too much *kitten* for skinnydom, but my rib cage is already ridiculously visible, along with the collar bones. I don't want to look emaciated or bony... I like curvature :wink: I have to feel good about me, I guess that's the reality. We'll see, going to give it a shot, maybe focus on toning my arms, see how I look, & go from there. Best of luck to everyone :)
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Sigh! *snuggles in* I feel right at home here! LOL! If I were to tell my mom or sisters, I want to loose five pounds I think they would call the men in white coats to lock me away. Ha ha! Its not at ALL that I think I'm FAT. I can see my collar bone (for the first time in 8 years...YAY!) I'm very happy with my weight (for the first time in 8 YEARS...LOL!) I fit in the pants I want. I just want to get that jiggle off my wiggle...lol! According to my BMI I could weigh 104...I'm not wanting to go that low. I just want to tone that bit of flab right in the middle of my stomach that WILL NOT LEAVE!

If you all are not opposed, why don't we make a list of our goals to make this an actual group! That way at the end of the month we can look back and see how we did? I'm all about trying to see how things went and what I can do next month to mix things up if things didn't improve. Pick a few things that you think will improve your chances of loosing the last few pounds. Staying away from sugar? Pop? Adding more cardio to your workout? Just copy and paste mine to add on so we can make one big list to look at! :o)

===========================================================

TaraMaria - Cut out refined sugar, Run/Walk the distance from Nazareth to Bethlehem, Run for 30 Minutes Straight or Three Miles, Ab Routine 3x's Weekly
  • mamaisis09
    Options
    I'm interested! I am 152 lbs at 5'5''... I would like to be 140lbs... Yay for us flabby skinny girls... lol (I don't consider myself skinny at all btw)

I actually really hate it when people say "Why are you trying to lose weight, why are you dieting? You're so small." Let me go put on a bikini and you'll see why.
    Your last sentence made me laugh lol. That is so true, isn't it? Everyone's always saying to me that I'm skinny, but I'm like no I'm not really. That just made my day :laugh:

Glad it made your day! Seriously that is how I feel a lot of the time... Kind of why I posted a few of my worst pictures too, I may be able to cover up the weight/flab in jeans and a shirt but in a skin tight dress or a bikini... eek
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    @TaraMaria: good job!!

omg swimsuits... I have only worn one-pieces all my life because my stomach is disgusting :grumble:
    Recently I have started to think that my arms need work too :embarassed: Never really thought too much about my upper arms, but they are pretty squishy/soft/flabby. Time for triceps dips!
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS THREAD - and i love how some of us slimmer people are commenting. when i write on other threads (and i hardly ever see people with the same goals as me) there have been people who have actually quoted what i have said and then mocked it to other people!

very unfair, this is called myfitnesspal, all about fitness and weight management/loss/gain. everybody has their own goals, my goal is to lose all my flabby bits.. even if it means i look a little small, id rather be a little small than have cellulite on my thighs, or flapping arms when i wave!

good luck to those with a lot of weight to lose, but also good luck to those who are trying to reach perfection in their eyes - those last few pounds are always the hardest
  • amysj303
    Options
    Good idea Tara, copy and paste the goals below and add your own, see if this catches on.

TaraMaria - Cut out refined sugar, Run/Walk the distance from Nazareth to Bethlehem, Run for 30 Minutes Straight or Three Miles, Ab Routine 3x's Weekly

Amy (asjerven)- running/cardio 3 days per week, calorie-goal 1200 5 days per week.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    Love this thread! Posting the goals is a great idea Tara!

Amy (asjerven)- running/cardio 3 days per week, calorie-goal 1200 5 days per week.

Erin (Gogo76) - weight lifting 3 days per week, cardio 5 days per week, Dec. Move Your *kitten* Challenge - 80miles
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Erin (Gogo76) - weight lifting 3 days per week, cardio 5 days per week, Dec. Move Your *kitten* Challenge - 80mile

Karen (Lyadeia) - calorie goal of 1200 + exercise calories monitored by HRM or bodybugg, start and finish without skipping workouts of P90X plus Turbo Kick rounds for the cardio, get my fitness blog off and running, start a Fit Club in my hometown :)
  • mamaisis09
    Options

Erin (Gogo76) - weight lifting 3 days per week, cardio 5 days per week, Dec. Move Your *kitten* Challenge - 80miles

Karen (Lyadeia) - calorie goal of 1200 + exercise calories monitored by HRM or bodybugg, start and finish without skipping workouts of P90X plus Turbo Kick rounds for the cardio, get my fitness blog off and running, start a Fit Club in my hometown :)

Alex (frostyisis) - P90X 3-4x per week, cardio 2-3x per week, run 10 miles straight, lose 5 lbs by Christmas (almost there), look SEXY in my main pic dress.
  • notsosimplyabby
    notsosimplyabby Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat! 5'5", 156 pounds.
    We just know what we COULD look like and that is not what we are now!
  • herzeleid334
    herzeleid334 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I belong here too! I'm 5'3" and about 105 lbs, but want to be 90 eventually
  • amysj303
    Options
    Herzeleid, I am sure you do not need to lose weight, 90 lbs would be underweight for your height-why do you want to weigh so little? I am worried about you.:flowerforyou: