not-that-heavy girls trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• mcrawley22
    Options
    welcome to all the new comers to this group :happy: anybody from here feel free to add me as a friend.

off to the gym to get my cardio in before the Christmas party tonight!! Happy Saturday everyone!!
  • odyssey1013
    Options
    I'm 5'8 130-133 lbs. Ive been maintaining this weight for three years without really watching what I eat (bad, I know) I would love to get back to 120 but it's been so hard! I started p90x a couple of days ago so I hope that will help.
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Finally a thread to call home. I believe I will fit in here well. I am 5'4" and currently weighting in at 121. I have get my goal at 115. Just like a lot of you I get alot of kick back from the people in my life saying that I don't need to lose any weight. How I wish that was true. I may look ok with my clothes on, but once they are off, that is the problem. Not only that, but most of the women in my family hit my age and that is when they gained all their weight. This year I hit my highest weight (with the exception of when I was pregnant) of 138 and it scared the crap out of me. I decided that it was time to make a change. I started with just watching what I ate in May, and with just that was able to lose about 10 lbs from May to September, but then it stopped and I realized that I needed to step up the game some more. So hear I am, almost one week into logging my food and exercise on here and I am loving it. In the last week I have started doing P90X and love it. It is a bit hard still and I might not be ready for it, but if I don't push myself to the max and have a workout that is really challenging, I won't stick with it.
  • jessicayoung82
    Options
    TaraMaria - Cut out refined sugar, Run/Walk the distance from Nazareth to Bethlehem, Run for 30 Minutes Straight or Three Miles, Ab Routine 3x's Weekly

Amy (asjerven)- running/cardio 3 days per week, calorie-goal 1200 5 days per week.

Erin (Gogo76) - weight lifting 3 days per week, cardio 5 days per week, Dec. Move Your *kitten* Challenge - 80miles

Karen (Lyadeia) - calorie goal of 1200 + exercise calories monitored by HRM or bodybugg, start and finish without skipping workouts of P90X plus Turbo Kick rounds for the cardio, get my fitness blog off and running, start a Fit Club in my hometown :)

Alex (frostyisis) - P90X 3-4x per week, cardio 2-3x per week, run 10 miles straight, lose 5 lbs by Christmas (almost there), look SEXY in my main pic dress.

Wendy (wendypenner) - Insanity 6 days per week, swim at least 1 day, gym at least 1 day, try spin class next week

Meagan - strngth training min 2 days per week. cardio min 2-3 days per week. Stay ontrack with 1200 calories/day 5 days a week

Melodie (melliebee)- Strength train 2 days a week, Ab routine 2 days a week, Cardio 3 days a week. Not go over my 1300 calories a day. I MUST fit into my bridesmaid dress for next summer.. I am ordering a size 6 (I am an 8) so I have to fit into it by then :)

Ophelia: Pilates Abs workout & arms work out 7 times a week. Finish ski team diet, then stick to 1,300 calorie diet each day.

amysambora - Stay just below my 1200 calorie limit each day. Cardio 3x week. Strength training 3x week. See that magic 60kg mark again for the first time since I was 16!

kmorneault11- Stay within 1200 calorie limit, cardio 4-5x a week, no binging. none.

Jessica (tattoodfreek)- stick to a minimum of 5 workouts a week, and incorporate more strength training. Also try to run at least once a week. The cold is keeping me indoors, and running is what brings on big changes for me personally. And to STOP my junk food binges!

Sarah(loxleys) - run 5 times per week (30-40 mins) and continue with 30 days shred every morning for strength(til my 6 week 6 pack dvd arrives). Try to eat only half exercise cals. And to enjoy christmas but not go OTT

Sophie-- running 3-4 times a week and increase the length by 10 minutes, staying under my calorie limit, and adding and sticking to my strength routine

ssminey79-workout 5-6 days a week (variety of classes, cardio and weight training). My goal calories are about 1470, but ultimately I just want to be under 140 again, which is only like 3 lbs. However, if I can get to 135 and maintain, then I will be very happy!

Georgiana (gtrigg) - Do Turbo Jam at least 3 days a week, keep my calories under goal, keep my sodium under control, finish out DJackson230's Challenge strong, and JUST SAY NO TO PEOPLE AT WORK

jessicayoung82 - To workout at least 6, if not 7 days a week. To really get my eating lined out, still have some tweaking to do. I am still trying to get my routine and schedule down. If I can make it this ever so busy month of the year, than I know I can do this and that I am truely ready. :)
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    Hi everyone! just checking in after the weekend... I went to the gym Friday night and again yesterday! pretty proud of myself :)
    how did all of you do?
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    well done with sticking to the gym, I've been unable to do any running this week. Its snowed and due to bad planning by the council no grit was laid down and its like sheet ice all over!

I have done between 1-2 hours of walking a day in snow/ice to and from work as the trams and buses were stopped. I've stuck to the 30 day shred every day though. I'm more tired from the walking on snow than I ever get from running.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did finish gateway to 8k yesterday, got to run outside, which was nice, but I went over on cals Friday, Saturday and today, likely. Too much drinking.
    I am traveling for work this week, then come home and go to Vail next weekend so working out and staying under even on maintenance cals will be a challenge.
  • jessicayoung82
    Options
    Did ok this weekend. Have stayed under in calories. But I have lowered them a bit so we will see how this week goes. I worked out yesterday but was way under in my calorie intake and crashed durning my work out and could only get through half. It is now that TOM so motivation to get up and work out today is low. But I did get some good cleaning done. But the day is not over yet. I will do my work out. Have to if I want to eat dinner tonight and not completly blow my calorie goal today...
  • amysambora
    Options
    Hi girls - great job over the weekend everyone!

I'm thrilled this morning as I'm now down to 62.8kg from 63kg :) Stuck to about 1100 calories over the weekend which obviously works for me! I don't do much extra exercise as I'm fairly active at work but I did go for a brisk walk, so that must have helped too. Goal for this week is to do more strength training.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Yeah!!! I posted on the old thread awhile ago....I am now just trying to maintain and tone. I am 5'9" and 130lbs. I was always a skinny, lanky kid, and now that I am doing yoga and the elliptical, I have found that my body has kind of gone back to that look, which I am fine with. I eat between 1800-2500 cals per day, combined with daily (almost :smile: )exercise. Exercise has been the key, I have always had a fast metabolism, but after 3 kids and hitting 40, it did slow down, and I found myself at 155...which for many is a perfectly fine weight, especially at my height, but I just didn't feel "right" in my skin. I hate all of the "you don't need to lose weight" comments!! I am not out to lose any more weight, but I am enjoying the benefits of exercise. I look better than I have in a loooong time. I love having an lean, athletic body. Sooo...my goal is to work on my yoga practice, and learn how to do more advanced poses! I will add that below :smile:
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    TaraMaria - Cut out refined sugar, Run/Walk the distance from Nazareth to Bethlehem, Run for 30 Minutes Straight or Three Miles, Ab Routine 3x's Weekly

Amy (asjerven)- running/cardio 3 days per week, calorie-goal 1200 5 days per week.

Erin (Gogo76) - weight lifting 3 days per week, cardio 5 days per week, Dec. Move Your *kitten* Challenge - 80miles

Karen (Lyadeia) - calorie goal of 1200 + exercise calories monitored by HRM or bodybugg, start and finish without skipping workouts of P90X plus Turbo Kick rounds for the cardio, get my fitness blog off and running, start a Fit Club in my hometown :)

Alex (frostyisis) - P90X 3-4x per week, cardio 2-3x per week, run 10 miles straight, lose 5 lbs by Christmas (almost there), look SEXY in my main pic dress.

Wendy (wendypenner) - Insanity 6 days per week, swim at least 1 day, gym at least 1 day, try spin class next week

Meagan - strngth training min 2 days per week. cardio min 2-3 days per week. Stay ontrack with 1200 calories/day 5 days a week

Melodie (melliebee)- Strength train 2 days a week, Ab routine 2 days a week, Cardio 3 days a week. Not go over my 1300 calories a day. I MUST fit into my bridesmaid dress for next summer.. I am ordering a size 6 (I am an 8) so I have to fit into it by then :)

Ophelia: Pilates Abs workout & arms work out 7 times a week. Finish ski team diet, then stick to 1,300 calorie diet each day.

amysambora - Stay just below my 1200 calorie limit each day. Cardio 3x week. Strength training 3x week. See that magic 60kg mark again for the first time since I was 16!

kmorneault11- Stay within 1200 calorie limit, cardio 4-5x a week, no binging. none.

Jessica (tattoodfreek)- stick to a minimum of 5 workouts a week, and incorporate more strength training. Also try to run at least once a week. The cold is keeping me indoors, and running is what brings on big changes for me personally. And to STOP my junk food binges!

Sarah(loxleys) - run 5 times per week (30-40 mins) and continue with 30 days shred every morning for strength(til my 6 week 6 pack dvd arrives). Try to eat only half exercise cals. And to enjoy christmas but not go OTT

Sophie-- running 3-4 times a week and increase the length by 10 minutes, staying under my calorie limit, and adding and sticking to my strength routine

ssminey79-workout 5-6 days a week (variety of classes, cardio and weight training). My goal calories are about 1470, but ultimately I just want to be under 140 again, which is only like 3 lbs. However, if I can get to 135 and maintain, then I will be very happy!

Georgiana (gtrigg) - Do Turbo Jam at least 3 days a week, keep my calories under goal, keep my sodium under control, finish out DJackson230's Challenge strong, and JUST SAY NO TO PEOPLE AT WORK

jessicayoung82 - To workout at least 6, if not 7 days a week. To really get my eating lined out, still have some tweaking to do. I am still trying to get my routine and schedule down. If I can make it this ever so busy month of the year, than I know I can do this and that I am truely ready. :)

Rachel~Yoga at least 3-4 times per week. Work on pushing my poses further, and holding them for longer. Elliptical 2 times per week and practice Irish dance 10-15 minutes per day, every day! I am competing in January, and need to fine tune my steps.
  • pteach
    Options
    Did you really start at 173 at 5' tall? If so, respond. I'd really like to chat with you re your success as I'm 5'1" and 161 right now. Seems like a whole new world for those of us without any height to help hide the pounds.
  • donna0912
    Options
    Hi IrishDancer-- I am closer to 5'10" than 5'9" but am looking to weigh 140. Most people think I am crazy except my husband and 8 yr old who wants me to get rid of my belly. I am currently at 158 and have been at a plateau for months. I trained for a marathon over the summer and completed it in Oct. only to have not lost a pound. Didn't gain, but didn't lose either. Not surprising I guess because my focus was on slow, long runs. I just started doing intervals on the treadmill to see if I can't jump start my metabolism a bit. This is a tough time of year for me... as soon as it is dark all I want to do is eat and sleep. I also think if I was more toned I wouldn't focus so much on the weight... I toned 158 lbs is a lot different than flabby and 158.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Hi IrishDancer-- I am closer to 5'10" than 5'9" but am looking to weigh 140. Most people think I am crazy except my husband and 8 yr old who wants me to get rid of my belly. I am currently at 158 and have been at a plateau for months. I trained for a marathon over the summer and completed it in Oct. only to have not lost a pound. Didn't gain, but didn't lose either. Not surprising I guess because my focus was on slow, long runs. I just started doing intervals on the treadmill to see if I can't jump start my metabolism a bit. This is a tough time of year for me... as soon as it is dark all I want to do is eat and sleep. I also think if I was more toned I wouldn't focus so much on the weight... I toned 158 lbs is a lot different than flabby and 158.

I think you need to get to the point where you feel comfortable in your own skin. Different for everyone. I am better at a lower weight. My belly finally went away thanks to slowly lowering my calories and increasing my exercise. I started in May, and went from 155 to 130. My skin isn't as saggy (well, I have had 3 kids, so unless I get a tummy tuck I will always have some loose skin), because I went slow and really was religious with exercising. I agree with the toning aspect...it really doesn't matter what the scale says if you are fit/toned. I am actually not weighing myself anymore, just going by inches and how my clothes fit. I also love to eat more this time of year, I think it is biological...cold weather=storing fat to keep us warm :smile: I try to eat lots of nice homemade soups with crusty bread. I am a vegetarian, so not eating animal fats helps a lot!
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Oops....I meant 150lbs!! I've lost 20lbs since May :smile:
  • luvHim
    luvHim Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    THIS is what I need!! Since Thanksgiving I've slacked off....and Christmas is coming up. But this might help keep me in line. :)

Rachel~Yoga at least 3-4 times per week. Work on pushing my poses further, and holding them for longer. Elliptical 2 times per week and practice Irish dance 10-15 minutes per day, every day! I am competing in January, and need to fine tune my steps.

luvHim ~ Keep cals to 1300 Monday-Friday and burn 1000cals per week on treadmill.
  • ZeOphelia
    ZeOphelia Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Did you really start at 173 at 5' tall? If so, respond. I'd really like to chat with you re your success as I'm 5'1" and 161 right now. Seems like a whole new world for those of us without any height to help hide the pounds.

Funny that you should say this!
    Just so you know, being tall does not make it any better! It does not make an extra pound disappear. It makes me feel like a giant.

As a 5'9 girl, I've always wished that I had a smaller build.
  • aromayor
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 113 pounds right now after losing about 50 pounds over the past year and I don't want to lose weight so much as I want to tone up.
    I absolutely hate exercising though so it's really hard to get myself motivated. Any tips for someone that doesn't enjoy working out?
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 113 pounds right now after losing about 50 pounds over the past year and I don't want to lose weight so much as I want to tone up.
    I absolutely hate exercising though so it's really hard to get myself motivated. Any tips for someone that doesn't enjoy working out?

I feel you on the exercise hate!! I don't want to have to schedule workout sessions for the rest of my life :angry: Have you tried just having a more active lifestyle? Things such as always taking the stairs, walking anywhere that takes 30min or less to walk to, taking walks, etc. I walk 20 min to and then from work 3 times a week, so that is a new "exercise" I did not have before! Also going window shopping and taking public transportation or walking everywhere.

Sometimes I do "dance workouts" because it keeps me from getting bored! I am currently using Veena and Neena's belly dance workouts on YouTube. I like that they don't stop and explain every single move (which gets annoying after the first time watching) so I can just follow along. It doesn't really matter if I am dancing "correctly", as long as I am moving!:happy:
  • DancingYogini
    Options

Do you like to dance? I know Zumba (I think that is how you spell it) is supposed to be a blast. I hate working out too (I own an elliptical, and it is like pulling teeth to get me on it), but I started yoga about 1.5 months ago(I had taken a few classes before). I noticed a difference in my muscle tone within about 2 weeks, and definitely notice a huge difference in the small amount of time I have been doing it. I am going about 3 times per week now, and want to increase it. Very calming too! So find something that you enjoy, and see if you can incorporate it into your exercise routine.