Pregnancy - December 2010

Options

Replies

• Mamatoabunch
    Options
    I have a chest cold. My chest is killing me when I cough. I checked safe fetus for meds, but couldn't find anything that was listed at B cat. Plus I just don't like taking anything when I'm pregnant. Warm salt water has helped my throat and cough drops keep some of the coughing down. Ugh, I havent' had a cold in many many years. I'm one of those people who never gets sick. Yuck.

I am sick right now too! It sucks. I have not taken anything yet and I can detinately feel the difference. Usually I take cold fx (I think thats just a canadian med) and eccinacea, neither of which are safe in pregnancy... so I am just going to suffer through it. This is my 3rd day off work, I really need to go back tomorrow!

Hope you feel better soon!

Echinacea root is safe in pregnancy. You can look up any herbal in Wise Women Herbal for the Childbearing Year. I have taken echinacea in pregnancy since my second pregnancy.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I think the main reason I'd be concerned about echinacea use during pregnancy (aside from the lack of an acceptable amount, imho, of research on it's use during pregnancy) is that herbal supplements are not regulated. Like, at all. So, if you're buying it from the store (rather than say, growing it & preparing it yourself), you really can never be sure of what you're getting. I guess that goes with most things, even regulated products. And, nope, my prenatal vitamins aren't regulated, either (:ohwell:). But it seems my general take on things of this nature is that if it's potentially hazardous and I can pretty easily avoid it during pregnancy then I will. Obviously, Mama has had many a healthy baby taking echinacea during pregnancy. :smile: Anyway, that's my reasoning for avoiding herbal supplements just as I'm avoiding medications during this pregnancy. It may be overkill & completely unnecessary, but it's what I'm comfortable with & as with most things in pregnancy, it's a very personal choice.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I gave in and called my dr. She called something in for the ms. Crossing my fingers it helps!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hi all! i've been MIA a few days.
    Its been a crazy work week.
    I can totally relate to those of
    you who are hungry all the time
    I am the same way i'm so tired
    of being hungry but i'm doing my
    best to make sure i eat enough
    of the good stuff and not so much
    junk.

I'm getting a little nervous and
    excited about telling the family.
    I guess it's just cause this is our
    first. We're going to tell my family
    Christmas Eve and the his on
    Christmas Day. :) Still not sure
    how we are going to give the news.

We told my extended family with my first at Christmas, since it was the only time that year I was going to see any of them. It was easy. I just told my grandma and she goes "WHAT? You're pregnant?!" really loud. That took care of it :laugh:
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

I always thought it would be cute to get some sort of "worlds best grandma/grandpa" gift, like a t-shirt, hat, coffee mug or something like that, and wrap it up as a way to tell them.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    That is where I got super hungry too. Try your best cause I gained 5 lbs between 15 and 20 weeks.

That's not bad. Only 1 "too many" so to speak. I stocked up on yogurt, veggies, and cheese this morning so I can hopefully avoid the strudels :wink: I'm only up about 1, maybe 2, so far though so I luckily have some wiggle room here and there.

The other "nice" thing is we have no family or anything in the area, so no other than anything they mail to me there is no holiday junk food temptation here or big meals etc.

I didn't mind, but it was on top of the 15 I had already gained. LOL>
  • ckmama
    Options
    I'm having one of those days where I don't feel pregnant....the baby isn't moving a ton today, i'm not overly hungry, and my belly doesn't seem as large as it did yesterday. I've had a couple of days like that since the beginning they always leave me feeling weird and uncertain.

I know everything is fine, but it's amazing how something so slight can make you feel so different.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I think I am getting a little insigt into the brain of an OCD person... all I can think about is food! :laugh: I've eaten what seems like a ton but am trying to budget a bunch for dinner since hubby's boss is taking us out and I don't want 3 crazy over days in a row! I think some cheese and crackers can tide me over for the next 2-3 hours or so before dinner!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I'm having one of those days where I don't feel pregnant....the baby isn't moving a ton today, i'm not overly hungry, and my belly doesn't seem as large as it did yesterday. I've had a couple of days like that since the beginning they always leave me feeling weird and uncertain.

I know everything is fine, but it's amazing how something so slight can make you feel so different.

I hate those days, I am so used to feeling her moving that when I dont I get a little freaked out. One of my friends miscarried at 5 months so I feel like nothing in certain until I give birth and see/hear my baby. The kicks throughout just help to ease my mind. I wonder how the baby's schedule is going to work out once she comes. I wake up at 3am to be at work a 4am so she is just on my schedule right now. She was super active from 4:30-6 this morning. I wonder if she is going to wake up the same naturally after she is born just by instinct.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    I think I am getting a little insigt into the brain of an OCD person... all I can think about is food! :laugh: I've eaten what seems like a ton but am trying to budget a bunch for dinner since hubby's boss is taking us out and I don't want 3 crazy over days in a row! I think some cheese and crackers can tide me over for the next 2-3 hours or so before dinner!

I am so there!
  • LynnW52
    Options
    Today is my second day in a row, third day this week, of doing a half hour on the elliptical. I know 30 mins isn't a whole lot, but I didn't realize how out of shape I was! I've been taking a break at 15 mins to catch my breath and drink some water, but tonight I didn't feel as out of breath at 15 so I finished it out.

I'm gonna try to do 30 mins for a couple more days, then gradually bump it up. I have an ab-doer chair, I'm gonna start doing that as well.

Got sick all of a sudden this afternoon. I haven't really had any morning sickness, more like a slight queasy feeling that went away if I had a couple crackers or something. I'm sitting at my desk today and there was no time for crackers....hello lunch! :frown: I thought that was a bit strange since the queasiness had pretty much leveled off the last couple weeks. I guess I'll chalk that up to baby not liking potatoe soup!
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    maybe you could look for a bib that says "I love Grandma/Grandpa" and give it to them for christmas?
    do you have a dollar store that has a baby section? that's where I've seen them. if not, maybe you can scope out a store with baby items. you might be able to find something that suits your family. good luck :happy:
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm really down in the dumps today. I went to the Dr. and have gained 15 lbs already!! Im just starting my second trimester!! Its bad enough I was heavy when I got pregnant, but now I'm gaining so much I'm scared to see what I'm gonna look like in July when baby is due. Highest I EVER weighed was 245 and Im at 232 right now. I'm so dissapointed in myself. I guess the main reason was becase I am hungry more often, and I had a lot of food adversions in the begining. I used to eat salad daily, now I can't stand to look at it. I crave carbs more than anything, and let myself have them. I am eating some junk, but not tons. I havent tracked calories, but i guess I need to start again. I just feel so bad about myself and normally, I can go diet and work out like crazy to get back on the wagon..but I cant now..and I feel trapped a little. Don't get me wrong, having a baby is 100% worth it, and baby is #1 right now. But I can't fit into anything anymore!!! Any help out there or some guidance?
  • LynnW52
    Options
    I'm really down in the dumps today. I went to the Dr. and have gained 15 lbs already!! Im just starting my second trimester!! Its bad enough I was heavy when I got pregnant, but now I'm gaining so much I'm scared to see what I'm gonna look like in July when baby is due. Highest I EVER weighed was 245 and Im at 232 right now. I'm so dissapointed in myself. I guess the main reason was becase I am hungry more often, and I had a lot of food adversions in the begining. I used to eat salad daily, now I can't stand to look at it. I crave carbs more than anything, and let myself have them. I am eating some junk, but not tons. I havent tracked calories, but i guess I need to start again. I just feel so bad about myself and normally, I can go diet and work out like crazy to get back on the wagon..but I cant now..and I feel trapped a little. Don't get me wrong, having a baby is 100% worth it, and baby is #1 right now. But I can't fit into anything anymore!!! Any help out there or some guidance?

I've been feeling like this a lot lately. The highest I have ever been was 196, and I am at 190 right now and just started my second tri. I've been trying to stay within my maintenance cals, I quit drinking pop and started drinking lots more water, and I've been trying to make the healthiest food choices possible. I'm not really a huge snacker to begin with, I don't eat a lot of sweets or anything like that, my biggest thing would probably be portions for my meals. So I've been paying extra special attention to that. I've also started doing my elliptical again, only for 30 mins a day, but it is better than nothing. I feel like I am trying, and that is what is important.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

I think most women feel the same way, especially if you were heavier to begin with. I weighed in at 239 at my last appointment and have 16 weeks to go. I weighed 243 when I gave birth to my last son so I will definately weigh more this time around.I gained all of my weight this time in my 2nd trimester the whole 17.3 lbs. I have to tell myself to enjoy the pregnancy and worry about the weight later. If we dwell on it now it is just unnecessary stress, not good for the baby. Just try to be sensible and relax. I have been slacking in the calorie counting again but it will be easier in the next couple of weeks once the holidays are over. I think it is incredibly hard not to gain weight with all of the big meals and goodies around. We are just more aware of the gain while preggo because we have to face that scale every month.
  • ckmama
    Options
    very low energy today and i've got tons to do for tomorrow. Glad I did some of it earlier in the week. I could go back to bed and watch movies the rest of the day.:yawn:
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Got my 6 miles in today and burned 788 calories. I was in more of a hurry to get it done today and walked at a faster pace. I didn't walk yesterday or the day before. I am hoping to get a few miles in tomorrow morning and that will most likely be all for the week.

Hope you are all doing well.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas!
    I really like the bib idea! I was
    thinking about including the
    ultrasound photo too maybe
    sending it to walmart and
    turn it into a holiday card for
    the grandparents.

So, I've been soooo tired
    lately. For lunch i take a nap
    and i'm out by like 9:30 my
    usual bedtime is 11 so it's
    really strange and the hunger
    isn't going away but I've been
    having this crazy craving for
    lemons and cucumbers w
    sea salt. Sooooo good! haha
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Haven't been on here for a few days so I have missed a ton but have read and caught up. Congratulations on the boys!!! I really want a boy this time also. That would even the score with the kids, 2 girls and 2 boys. The boys would be on the ends and the oldest son will be 16 when this baby is born.

I have been having awful pressure and pulling way down low, like in the middle of my hip area. It was so bad last night I swear something was going to fall out of me. I called the nurse this morning and she told me that since it is baby #4 it is round ligament stretching and not to worry unless I start bleeding. If I am in severe pain though go to the hospital or urgent care if they are closed. Did any of you ladies have this at 6 weeks with your pregnancies?
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Haven't been on here for a few days so I have missed a ton but have read and caught up. Congratulations on the boys!!! I really want a boy this time also. That would even the score with the kids, 2 girls and 2 boys. The boys would be on the ends and the oldest son will be 16 when this baby is born.

I have been having awful pressure and pulling way down low, like in the middle of my hip area. It was so bad last night I swear something was going to fall out of me. I called the nurse this morning and she told me that since it is baby #4 it is round ligament stretching and not to worry unless I start bleeding. If I am in severe pain though go to the hospital or urgent care if they are closed. Did any of you ladies have this at 6 weeks with your pregnancies?

That is round ligament spasm. Try not to change positions suddenly. If you have it again go on hands and knees w/ a pelvic tilt.