Pregnancy - December 2010

Options

Replies

• Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I think the cramping is on and off forever, I get contractions too so last night I was trying to sleep and I would get contractions with cramps in between. I started having a dream that I was bleeding badly and was having my baby, she is definately too early to come so it freaked me out. Good thing I go to the doctors tomorrow. I have been swollen all week and had elevated blood pressure earlier on in the week. I really hope we are not going down that darn toximia/preeclampsia path again... that would really suck.

There are several things you can do for elevated bp in pregnancy. LMK if you are interested.

Definately interested, I am so tired of being swollen and feeling sore. I have a feeling it is all related. It is making me feel even bigger than I already feel :sad:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    So I've noticed everyone talking about when to tell their work... Well, what if I never tell my work and let them always assume untill it really does get obvious?
    Here's why. I work as a CNA in an Assisted Living Facility. In the past year, 3 CNA's have gotten pregnant and also fired. My bosses, of course, didn't fire them because they were pregnant (or so they say). They say it's because they weren't doing their jobs. Really, it's because we're a liability issue I'm sure! We are lifting residents, and sometimes have to deal with combative behaviors. As much as this may sound concerning, with me, it's different. I work graves so for the most part everyone is sleeping. When I have to move somebody, I have help. Graves work more as a team because their is less of us and no managers, so to cover our butts, we go in every room together so that no residents can ever say that we abused or neglected them . So I'm not worried about ever hurting myself. I would never do anything to compromise my pregnancy, but my bosses aren't going to see that I fear.
    So, I really am thinking because of this, I'm never actually going to announce it... what do you all think???

So how far do you think you would get before they noticed? And how long does it take for them to put together a game plan of why you should be fired (providing that's what they have done)? Because if you're showing around 4 or 5 months, that's still 4 months left, and only like 1-2 months after "most" people tell anyway.

I told my boss with the first the day we found out because it involved an ER trip I had to explain. With this one, I told her around 12 weeks. There are only 5 people in the company so it's only fair to give her heads up and plus I need the flexibility to get off some mornings for Drs apts.

With my last though, around 5 months in or so I got a 2nd weekend job in the kitchen at Cracker Barrel. I did not tell them I was pregnant (I could still pass off as fat) and just let it get obvious. They didn't care because I was good at my job, required no training, and worked 6-8 hours every Sat and Sunday until the week before I was due. There was also nothing I couldn't physically do that i needed to. (I blame my weight gain on their spring strawberry pancakes though!!) A couple weeks before I just let them know that would be my last day. With high turn over places like this though it didn't really matter.

As far as lifting etc - I know you guys are trained to lift and move so you're not lifting like a whole person, so don't worry too much about that either so long your're comfortable with it. I lugged around 50lb feed bags and also hay bales up until the day I went into labor because someone had to feed the horses! I just kept them and lifted them off higher places instead of off the ground. But I also carried them up on my shoulders, so it was not the same or as strenuous as carrying 50lbs another way... just saying, things like lifting need to be in perspective of how you're doing it.

PS - woo hooo! This is my 1,000th post! :smile:

Congrats on your 1000th post :flowerforyou:

I think (hope) that I can really hide it pretty good since we wear scrubs at work. I can keep them baggy and just look fatter untill probably 6 months and really, I never see any of my managers. They usually go home by 6 or 7 at night and I don't go into work till 10pm. So I think if they find out before then, it's because another CNA told them...
    As for the lifting, I completely agree that it is all in perspective! I grew up working Construction and have learned where my limits are and how to do it properly very quickly!!! I definitely am not worried about myself because I always do have help too if needed. I just don't know how to explain to them the same thing if they find out and Honestly, I doubt they even say anything to me about it if they are just going to fire me anyway once they find out. So maybe, I should wait till 5 or 6 months along and go in and explain things ?? now I'm just debating with myself too much!!! LOL

I don't know the best solution to this... :C Good Luck!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    So my apple this morning did NOT taste as good coming up as going down. I have thrown up every day this week. Luckly, I dont feel sick all day long right now it just comes and gos in spurts. The problem is I never know when its going to come. I need to get through work today and tommorow I am driving my basketball players 2.5 hours and back for a couple of games... then I am at least with people who know I am preggo for 2 weeks!

I got a happy heartbeat gift from my sister yesterday (we did the same for her last year). It was my first baby stuff! A set of onsies and a toy. Very fun though.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    2nd set of blood test results came back. MY hcg level went from 222 to 586 in 23 hours so we are all happy. :smile:

My shoulder is hurting, it is actually killing me. I was so worried about an ectopic pregnancy but really don't think that is the case. I have no bleeding, no cramping or anything plus my hcg level is increasing a good rate. The pain is running clear down into my hand and making my hand numb. I think it is because of a pinched nerve or I pulled something lifting my 45 lb 6 year old. She has Rett Syndrome and is like a 9 month old so everything she does requires lifting.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options
    2nd set of blood test results came back. MY hcg level went from 222 to 586 in 23 hours so we are all happy. :smile:

My shoulder is hurting, it is actually killing me. I was so worried about an ectopic pregnancy but really don't think that is the case. I have no bleeding, no cramping or anything plus my hcg level is increasing a good rate. The pain is running clear down into my hand and making my hand numb. I think it is because of a pinched nerve or I pulled something lifting my 45 lb 6 year old. She has Rett Syndrome and is like a 9 month old so everything she does requires lifting.

Congrats, everything seems to be on the up and up.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

So glad to hear that. ARe you having another blood draw or are they waiting to do an U/S? You better be careful 45 lbs is quite a bit.
  • ckmama
    Options
    So I've noticed everyone talking about when to tell their work... Well, what if I never tell my work and let them always assume untill it really does get obvious?
    Here's why. I work as a CNA in an Assisted Living Facility. In the past year, 3 CNA's have gotten pregnant and also fired. My bosses, of course, didn't fire them because they were pregnant (or so they say). They say it's because they weren't doing their jobs. Really, it's because we're a liability issue I'm sure! We are lifting residents, and sometimes have to deal with combative behaviors. As much as this may sound concerning, with me, it's different. I work graves so for the most part everyone is sleeping. When I have to move somebody, I have help. Graves work more as a team because their is less of us and no managers, so to cover our butts, we go in every room together so that no residents can ever say that we abused or neglected them . So I'm not worried about ever hurting myself. I would never do anything to compromise my pregnancy, but my bosses aren't going to see that I fear.
    So, I really am thinking because of this, I'm never actually going to announce it... what do you all think???

I worked with a girl that never told anyone she was pregnant. She was very very large lady and it was one of those, you just thought she was fat things. One day she called in sick and said Oh I had a baby last night, i won't be in for a couple of weeks. WHAT.

It was a new job for her and she thought if she told the lady they would have let her go. The problem with waiting to tell is you leave your employer in the lurch for a temp replacement.

I had to quit my pt job because it required me to lift 50 lb boxes and my doctor was concerned about seperation of the placenta. I think you aren't supposed to lift over 30 lbs or something like that.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Thank you mjtwomail and mamatoabunch! From your information, I was able to find some more information online about it.

If anyone else is experiencing this kind of pain, this page had a lot of good information

http://mcr.coreconcepts.com.sg/posterior-pelvic-pain-sacroiliac-joint-pain-in-pregnant-women/

Mama - if you don't mind typing that information out for me, I'd really appreciate it!

Here you go.

First diagnostic test:

Lie flat on your back with the soles of you feet together. Rotate your pelvis around like a clock. This movement will aggravate a problematic SI joint.

Treatment:

Local traction and polarity.

There are many manual therapy techniques for SI treatment. A simple one that you can try at home is to lie with the leg on the painful side supported on a chair. Both your hip and knee should be bent at 90 degree angle. Your relaxed weight provides the traction that relieves the discomfort in the SI joint. If rest in this position doesn't achieve this you will need help.

Your partner removes the chair and holds your thigh between two hands. Your calf rests on his shoulder. Compression, that is, pressing directly down to the floor, aggravates the SI joint pain. Pulling the leg up to the ceiling will relieve it. It is important to take up the slack in the joint, {buttock stays on the floor} and give some gentle jiggles at the limit. Your partner must check after each traction by compressing the joint again. Pain should substantially reduced each time. When zero pain is experienced, usually within five minutes, you should receive polarity therapy. The fingertips of your partners one hand press on the dimple of your buttock, and fingertips of the other hand on the front of your pelvic crest. The hands should remain still on these two points until warmth, tingling, vibration, or other evidence of your body's electric field can be felt equally on both of your partner's hands. In this area it may take 10-15 minutes depending on how much pain you have felt. Usually only one to two treatments are needed. If this remedy does not help you may have a spinal problem and should seek physical evaluation.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    I think the cramping is on and off forever, I get contractions too so last night I was trying to sleep and I would get contractions with cramps in between. I started having a dream that I was bleeding badly and was having my baby, she is definately too early to come so it freaked me out. Good thing I go to the doctors tomorrow. I have been swollen all week and had elevated blood pressure earlier on in the week. I really hope we are not going down that darn toximia/preeclampsia path again... that would really suck.

There are several things you can do for elevated bp in pregnancy. LMK if you are interested.

Definately interested, I am so tired of being swollen and feeling sore. I have a feeling it is all related. It is making me feel even bigger than I already feel :sad:
    Dandelion leaves especially is an excellent herb for higher bp issues. I take 2-3 capsules a day from my third trimester, sooner if I have headaches. Also a 1000 grams of calcium w/ magnesium supplement. Increase your protein intake, 60-80 grams. How much do you consume in a day? Water therapy immersion in water w/ epson salts also helps. Often consumption of cucumbers. Are you exercising?
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Good news! Can your dh rub your arm down for you? Otherwise some arm rotation can relieve the pinch.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I'd just go to work and do your job. You are not required to tell them anything. I was actually a CNA, although home health when I was expecting my twins. It was not a big deal and I could do my job just fine.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I worked with a girl that never told anyone she was pregnant. She was very very large lady and it was one of those, you just thought she was fat things. One day she called in sick and said Oh I had a baby last night, i won't be in for a couple of weeks. WHAT.

It was a new job for her and she thought if she told the lady they would have let her go. The problem with waiting to tell is you leave your employer in the lurch for a temp replacement.

I had to quit my pt job because it required me to lift 50 lb boxes and my doctor was concerned about seperation of the placenta. I think you aren't supposed to lift over 30 lbs or something like that.

Wow. That's to the extreme end! I think you should really take into consideration how they will interpret whatever you do too. I agree about not telling early on or even midway, it's really not their business, but just like it's kosher to give 2 weeks if you are going to quit, I'd think you would want to give enough notice that later down the road they don't just think of you with a bad taste in their mouth. They might thing "if she will do this to us, what else will she do? She has no loyalty here. that's not the type of people we want" and maybe down the road they find an excuse to fire you? Or if they have to make cuts, they feel no loyalty to you either. I think there is a happy medium. Also, if you do tell earlier be sure that you keep the buddy system (to have people to vouch for you) and stay on top of things. Like... can you order a progress review or get any sort of praises documented from co workers and superiors? This will come in handy if you do get fired for "doing a poor job" when you might have a legal defense against it. (Of course, who feels welcome working where they are forced to be rehired, but.... I'm just sayin' cover your bases!)
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Hey ladies. So I have a question. Last monday when we went for our ultrasound the babys heartbeat was at 108 at 6 weeks and 1 day. They said that was normal for 6 weeks but they wanted to check it again in a week. The midwife said it wasn't something to worry about and that it could wait another week if we were going on vacation for the holidays and couldn't fit it in. So we have an US scheduled for Tuesday but we are now able to leave two days early to go to Michigan so we would have to wait for our apt. for the next week. Hubby and I arn't too worried and want to just push back the apt. I havn't had any issues since the last apt. and 108 doesn't seem that low. What do you ladies think? Okay to push it back a week or should we wait and keep the apt?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. So I have a question. Last monday when we went for our ultrasound the babys heartbeat was at 108 at 6 weeks and 1 day. They said that was normal for 6 weeks but they wanted to check it again in a week. The midwife said it wasn't something to worry about and that it could wait another week if we were going on vacation for the holidays and couldn't fit it in. So we have an US scheduled for Tuesday but we are now able to leave two days early to go to Michigan so we would have to wait for our apt. for the next week. Hubby and I arn't too worried and want to just push back the apt. I havn't had any issues since the last apt. and 108 doesn't seem that low. What do you ladies think? Okay to push it back a week or should we wait and keep the apt?

All they are doing is checking. If the heart rate is low, what would they actually DO. If the answer is nothing... then does it matter? Perhaps call the office and just ask them "what would you do medically, or recommend medically, if I came in and the HR was still a little low?" If they say, come back in a week and recheck it... well.... there you go. If they say "we really need a reading this week because we can chart blah blah blah..." or "we would put you on BLANK" ... then... there you go! :smile:
  • AnneElise
    Options

All they are doing is checking. If the heart rate is low, what would they actually DO. If the answer is nothing... then does it matter? Perhaps call the office and just ask them "what would you do medically, or recommend medically, if I came in and the HR was still a little low?" If they say, come back in a week and recheck it... well.... there you go. If they say "we really need a reading this week because we can chart blah blah blah..." or "we would put you on BLANK" ... then... there you go! :smile:

They arn't open again till Monday and we would be in Michigan already. She did say that we could come in after vacation or not at all if we wern't worried. I could call the on-call person tommorow but I am not sure its neccessary. Or is it?
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options

Dandelion leaves especially is an excellent herb for higher bp issues. I take 2-3 capsules a day from my third trimester, sooner if I have headaches. Also a 1000 grams of calcium w/ magnesium supplement. Increase your protein intake, 60-80 grams. How much do you consume in a day? Water therapy immersion in water w/ epson salts also helps. Often consumption of cucumbers. Are you exercising?

I usually only eat protein once a day,will definately increase that. Gave up exercise when contractions set in. BP was excellent @ todays appt though... naturally!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

They arn't open again till Monday and we would be in Michigan already. She did say that we could come in after vacation or not at all if we wern't worried. I could call the on-call person tommorow but I am not sure its neccessary. Or is it?

I have never had an U/S that early, who knows what my babies HB were at that point. What can be done, nothing. I wouldn't worry a bit. U/S and other prenatal testing are notorious for suggesting problems that are not problems.
  • ckmama
    Options

We didn't see HB that early on U/S. We did hear it but they didn't give us a number of beats. I would go on vacation and not worry about it. You are so early on right now things change so quickly, I would give it the extra time just so you could see more progress.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options
    Yikes 17.3 lbs in 24 weeks! Could be worse but I need to gain less in the weeks to come.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Today our Kellen turns 8 years old. Two out of three December birthdays down, LOL. We are having birthday part/Christmas party. Lots to do today. I exercised this morning and hated it. It was harder, I was slower, but I did it. I felt weak afterward. Sometimes that happens, not sure why. Anyway, off to bake cookies! Cake is in the oven.