Pregnancy - December 2010

Options

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I have been having weird symptoms lately- it seems too early! I am only going to be 6 weeks on Friday.

Please tell me if anyone has experienced similar this early.

- Occasional cramping (I have read this is completely normal)
    - Shortness of breath (walking up on 1 flight of stairs! It's awful. Probably because I am a bit girl. It definately wasn't that bad before)
    - Swelling- ALREADY! It's not super bad, but I can definately feel it. In my hands, and also in my legs, particularly noticeable in my right leg. This one worries me slightly. It has flared up twice over the past week but tends to go away after a day or two...

My husband thinks it's all in my head!

I have had occasional cramping. My doctor told me not to worry about that at all unless I am bleeding. The other two I havn't really expieranced yet except that running is much harder for me. I am out of breath way earlier than usual. Less than two months ago I ran a half marathon at 10 minute mile pace... not two miles and I am so tired!
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Ahhh... vacation!! Today is our first day of Christmas break (due to furlough days though... :grumble: ) and will be out until January 4th! I am so thankful for 3 weeks off! When I go back to school I will be starting my third trimester, and then it's not long from there!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Ahhh... vacation!! Today is our first day of Christmas break (due to furlough days though... :grumble: ) and will be out until January 4th! I am so thankful for 3 weeks off! When I go back to school I will be starting my third trimester, and then it's not long from there!

My boss has been teasing me about actually getting off the week between Cmas and NY. I still have to check my email a couple times a day and stay on top of anything that needs to be done, but we're supposedly going to get the whole week off this year! I'm trying not to be excited about it though because I have heard it before and it usually turns into actually having to work at least enough to make it seem more like a work day than an off day .... I do get Fri and Mon and Fri and Mon off around each holiday for sure though so 2 4 day weekends in a row! The SUPER hard part is... after Jan 1, my next day off is May 30! At least I get weekends though - there have been WAY too many stretches that I have worked all 7 days non stop for months.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    I have been having weird symptoms lately- it seems too early! I am only going to be 6 weeks on Friday.

- Shortness of breath (walking up on 1 flight of stairs! It's awful. Probably because I am a big girl. It definately wasn't that bad before)
    - Swelling- ALREADY! It's not super bad, but I can definately feel it. In my hands, and also in my legs, particularly noticeable in my right leg. This one worries me slightly. It has flared up twice over the past week but tends to go away after a day or two...

Yeah. I totally get winded doing anything. I actually had to tell my gym class that I was preg before anyone outside of immediate family just because I had to totally tone it down on my intensity level and they noticed (around 7 weeks). A combo of severe fatigue and loss of control over my heart rate (I usually worked out at a really high rate and now just walking into the gym I swear puts my HR already into the cardio zone!). Now I just do everything physical a little slower, though I have no problem with endurance (I did almost 5 hours of cardio on Sat!), just having to keep my breathing and HR lower than I'm used to.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

- Shortness of breath (walking up on 1 flight of stairs! It's awful. Probably because I am a big girl. It definately wasn't that bad before)

Cramping is normal and I also get winded early on and at the end as well, normal too. I never had swelling.
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options

My boss has been teasing me about actually getting off the week between Cmas and NY. I still have to check my email a couple times a day and stay on top of anything that needs to be done, but we're supposedly going to get the whole week off this year! I'm trying not to be excited about it though because I have heard it before and it usually turns into actually having to work at least enough to make it seem more like a work day than an off day .... I do get Fri and Mon and Fri and Mon off around each holiday for sure though so 2 4 day weekends in a row! The SUPER hard part is... after Jan 1, my next day off is May 30! At least I get weekends though - there have been WAY too many stretches that I have worked all 7 days non stop for months.

That would be so nice to have that whole week off! I hope you do! My husband's boss has also been saying they MIGHT have it off..I hope so - I'd love to have the whole week off with both of us home! Before we got married they use to get 2 weeks off at Christmas because it was a slow time for them...well the last three years it's been one of their busiest! We haven't had that time off together.

That is a long time without a vacation - I sure hope you get the whole week!!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

I definitely had/have cramping. It was worse earlier on, but I still occasionally get cramps -- similar to very light menstrual cramps now.
    I also feel like I'm huffing more after the 3 flights of stairs I climb every morning at work. I figure it's because I haven't been to the gym for any intense cardio for almost a month now, though. :laugh:
    I haven't had any swelling other than abdominal bloat. It's, of course, different for everyone, though.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies! So, today is
    an emotional day for me. It's my
    late grandfather's birthday he would
    have been 85, he passed away this
    past April. It's interesting how 2010
    has been the worst year and the
    best year for me. It's the year that
    I have ever lost someone so close
    to me and also the year we conceived.
    I hope to keep his memory alive, I want
    to teach my child everything there is to
    know about him.

Amanda: I know how you feel I had to
    endure the wait but i'm glad to hear that
    your HCG level proved that you are PG.
    People told me try not to worry but that
    was easier said than done for me. I will
    say a prayer for you and your LO. :flowerforyou:

As for my weight gain. I am soooo lost.
    In the doctors office I weighed in at 190
    but at home I am 185 so I don't know if
    I'm gaining or not. I need a new scale.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like a bitter sweet year for you. My one remaining grandparent is 94. Her birthday was in October. My maternal grandfather (her husband) passed in 2002 just three short months after our first was born (she was his first and only great grandchild). Then a month later we lost the gentleman that lived in their old farmhouse since I was little. He was like a grandfather to me. This time of year is often difficult when dealing with loss. You will keep his memory alive I am sure.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    So for lunch today I made - "mix together everything in a 1/2 used can or box" casserole and it's tasty!

Cook pasta, add stuff, stir, eat :)

Cal/Carb/Fat/Prot/Fib/Iron
    Barilla Whole Wheat Pasta - Penne, 2.25 oz 174 42 1 4 4 5
    Kroger - Quesadilla Cheese, 1/4 Cup 100 0 8 7 0 0
    Kroger Value - Frozen Broccoli Cuts, 0.7 cup (87g) 21 3 0 1 1 0
    Kroger - Chunk Chicken In Water, 1/8 cup 30 0 1 6 0 1
    Dei Fratelli - Pizza Sauce, 0.15 container (1.8 cups ea.) 32 6 0 1 1 4
    Del Monte - Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes No Salt Added, Corrected, 0.15 cup 8 2 0 0 1 1
    373 55 10 19 8 12
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I think the cramping is on and off forever, I get contractions too so last night I was trying to sleep and I would get contractions with cramps in between. I started having a dream that I was bleeding badly and was having my baby, she is definately too early to come so it freaked me out. Good thing I go to the doctors tomorrow. I have been swollen all week and had elevated blood pressure earlier on in the week. I really hope we are not going down that darn toximia/preeclampsia path again... that would really suck.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    I think the cramping is on and off forever, I get contractions too so last night I was trying to sleep and I would get contractions with cramps in between. I started having a dream that I was bleeding badly and was having my baby, she is definately too early to come so it freaked me out. Good thing I go to the doctors tomorrow. I have been swollen all week and had elevated blood pressure earlier on in the week. I really hope we are not going down that darn toximia/preeclampsia path again... that would really suck.

There are several things you can do for elevated bp in pregnancy. LMK if you are interested.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! Just checking in for the week. I usually check in on Mondays, but I really wasn't feeling MFP for a little while there. It was mostly because of our slow internet connection. Everything is fixed now, though, so I'm back! Lots to catch up on!

We had a little scare on Monday. I woke up with cramping and some light bleeding. I wasn't taking any chances, so I called my doctor and they squeezed me in that day. They couldn't find a heartbeat again with their little doppler, so they sent me down for an ultrasound to make sure everything was okay. Boy was it! That little baby was kicking and flailing and moving around like crazy! The heartrate was at a strong 176 too. It was so crazy to see the changes from the 7 week ultrasound to the 10.5 week ultrasound. It no longer looks like a pulsing blob or an alien. It looks like a baby! I'm so excited and feel so much more connected to the baby now that I know it's fine and growing. I can't wait to get a belly, and I really can't wait to feel it for the first time. It'll be awhile, but I know I can be much more patient now that we have seen it in action. The doctor ended up blaming the bleeding on my gosh darn polyp. I'm going to be so happy to be rid of that thing in January. (I'm sure my deprived husband will be happy too, since I've been nervous about agitating it.)

I hope everyone is happy and comfortable and enjoying this magical time of year! It's even more special since we all have little ones on the way. By next Christmas we will all have little cuties in adorable little outfits!
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else experiencing lower back pain? For me, it's actually a little lower than my back, more like my cheeky area :blushing: I can feel two distinct points where it hurts, one on each side. Last night we were messing around with the baby heart listener and I laid flat on the floor for a few minutes and when I went to get up it hurt soooo bad!

I looked around a bit online and all I can really find is information on lower back pain, but to me this seems lower than my lower back. I've read that your pelvis and things down there can start to shift, could that be it?

It's definitely not debilitating, more like irritating.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    Is anyone else experiencing lower back pain? For me, it's actually a little lower than my back, more like my cheeky area :blushing: I can feel two distinct points where it hurts, one on each side. Last night we were messing around with the baby heart listener and I laid flat on the floor for a few minutes and when I went to get up it hurt soooo bad!

I looked around a bit online and all I can really find is information on lower back pain, but to me this seems lower than my lower back. I've read that your pelvis and things down there can start to shift, could that be it?

your spine connects to your pelvis just below your lumbar area. Around where your sacrum is, or the top of our butt. there are also tons of tendons and ligaments in the area and they are all stretching and flexing and adjusting when you are pregnant. There's the chance that those might just be tender when you lie on them and pinch them between the floor and your pelvis or sacrum. I have 2 herniated lumbar discs which have not bothered me for a while since I have built up core strength, but are starting to come back and be painful. They killed before and after the last one after not bothering me for several years. The added stress to my back is going to be awful. I'm trying to keep up all the core and ab exercise I can now to keep it as supported as possible! I also think that there is a chance my ins might cover a chiropractor so I'm hoping for some relief :)
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

That sounds like your sacro-iliac joint. In the book Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year there are simple treatments to alleviate the problem. I can type it out later for you.
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Thank you mjtwomail and mamatoabunch! From your information, I was able to find some more information online about it.

If anyone else is experiencing this kind of pain, this page had a lot of good information

http://mcr.coreconcepts.com.sg/posterior-pelvic-pain-sacroiliac-joint-pain-in-pregnant-women/

Mama - if you don't mind typing that information out for me, I'd really appreciate it!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Thank you mjtwomail and mamatoabunch! From your information, I was able to find some more information online about it.

If anyone else is experiencing this kind of pain, this page had a lot of good information

http://mcr.coreconcepts.com.sg/posterior-pelvic-pain-sacroiliac-joint-pain-in-pregnant-women/

Mama - if you don't mind typing that information out for me, I'd really appreciate it!

I will do it tomorrow, getting ready to go out. I'd scan it for you, but my scanner won't scan for some reason.
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    So I've noticed everyone talking about when to tell their work... Well, what if I never tell my work and let them always assume untill it really does get obvious?
    Here's why. I work as a CNA in an Assisted Living Facility. In the past year, 3 CNA's have gotten pregnant and also fired. My bosses, of course, didn't fire them because they were pregnant (or so they say). They say it's because they weren't doing their jobs. Really, it's because we're a liability issue I'm sure! We are lifting residents, and sometimes have to deal with combative behaviors. As much as this may sound concerning, with me, it's different. I work graves so for the most part everyone is sleeping. When I have to move somebody, I have help. Graves work more as a team because their is less of us and no managers, so to cover our butts, we go in every room together so that no residents can ever say that we abused or neglected them . So I'm not worried about ever hurting myself. I would never do anything to compromise my pregnancy, but my bosses aren't going to see that I fear.
    So, I really am thinking because of this, I'm never actually going to announce it... what do you all think???
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    So I've noticed everyone talking about when to tell their work... Well, what if I never tell my work and let them always assume untill it really does get obvious?
    Here's why. I work as a CNA in an Assisted Living Facility. In the past year, 3 CNA's have gotten pregnant and also fired. My bosses, of course, didn't fire them because they were pregnant (or so they say). They say it's because they weren't doing their jobs. Really, it's because we're a liability issue I'm sure! We are lifting residents, and sometimes have to deal with combative behaviors. As much as this may sound concerning, with me, it's different. I work graves so for the most part everyone is sleeping. When I have to move somebody, I have help. Graves work more as a team because their is less of us and no managers, so to cover our butts, we go in every room together so that no residents can ever say that we abused or neglected them . So I'm not worried about ever hurting myself. I would never do anything to compromise my pregnancy, but my bosses aren't going to see that I fear.
    So, I really am thinking because of this, I'm never actually going to announce it... what do you all think???

So how far do you think you would get before they noticed? And how long does it take for them to put together a game plan of why you should be fired (providing that's what they have done)? Because if you're showing around 4 or 5 months, that's still 4 months left, and only like 1-2 months after "most" people tell anyway.

I told my boss with the first the day we found out because it involved an ER trip I had to explain. With this one, I told her around 12 weeks. There are only 5 people in the company so it's only fair to give her heads up and plus I need the flexibility to get off some mornings for Drs apts.

With my last though, around 5 months in or so I got a 2nd weekend job in the kitchen at Cracker Barrel. I did not tell them I was pregnant (I could still pass off as fat) and just let it get obvious. They didn't care because I was good at my job, required no training, and worked 6-8 hours every Sat and Sunday until the week before I was due. There was also nothing I couldn't physically do that i needed to. (I blame my weight gain on their spring strawberry pancakes though!!) A couple weeks before I just let them know that would be my last day. With high turn over places like this though it didn't really matter.

As far as lifting etc - I know you guys are trained to lift and move so you're not lifting like a whole person, so don't worry too much about that either so long your're comfortable with it. I lugged around 50lb feed bags and also hay bales up until the day I went into labor because someone had to feed the horses! I just kept them and lifted them off higher places instead of off the ground. But I also carried them up on my shoulders, so it was not the same or as strenuous as carrying 50lbs another way... just saying, things like lifting need to be in perspective of how you're doing it.

PS - woo hooo! This is my 1,000th post! :smile:
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options

So how far do you think you would get before they noticed? And how long does it take for them to put together a game plan of why you should be fired (providing that's what they have done)? Because if you're showing around 4 or 5 months, that's still 4 months left, and only like 1-2 months after "most" people tell anyway.

I told my boss with the first the day we found out because it involved an ER trip I had to explain. With this one, I told her around 12 weeks. There are only 5 people in the company so it's only fair to give her heads up and plus I need the flexibility to get off some mornings for Drs apts.

With my last though, around 5 months in or so I got a 2nd weekend job in the kitchen at Cracker Barrel. I did not tell them I was pregnant (I could still pass off as fat) and just let it get obvious. They didn't care because I was good at my job, required no training, and worked 6-8 hours every Sat and Sunday until the week before I was due. There was also nothing I couldn't physically do that i needed to. (I blame my weight gain on their spring strawberry pancakes though!!) A couple weeks before I just let them know that would be my last day. With high turn over places like this though it didn't really matter.

As far as lifting etc - I know you guys are trained to lift and move so you're not lifting like a whole person, so don't worry too much about that either so long your're comfortable with it. I lugged around 50lb feed bags and also hay bales up until the day I went into labor because someone had to feed the horses! I just kept them and lifted them off higher places instead of off the ground. But I also carried them up on my shoulders, so it was not the same or as strenuous as carrying 50lbs another way... just saying, things like lifting need to be in perspective of how you're doing it.

PS - woo hooo! This is my 1,000th post! :smile:

Congrats on your 1000th post :flowerforyou:

I think (hope) that I can really hide it pretty good since we wear scrubs at work. I can keep them baggy and just look fatter untill probably 6 months and really, I never see any of my managers. They usually go home by 6 or 7 at night and I don't go into work till 10pm. So I think if they find out before then, it's because another CNA told them...
    As for the lifting, I completely agree that it is all in perspective! I grew up working Construction and have learned where my limits are and how to do it properly very quickly!!! I definitely am not worried about myself because I always do have help too if needed. I just don't know how to explain to them the same thing if they find out and Honestly, I doubt they even say anything to me about it if they are just going to fire me anyway once they find out. So maybe, I should wait till 5 or 6 months along and go in and explain things ?? now I'm just debating with myself too much!!! LOL