Judging people and their weight

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not talking about bloat or water retention. I'm talking about the people saying they got "fat" because the medication directly cause then to not be able to burn fat while in a caloric deficit.

And I'm not asking for a group of stuff like "steroids". Bring actual answers. Please list the medication.
    People gain weight when taking prednisone long-term. It isn't all water weight. They are generally too sick to exercise.

There are even drugs designed to make people gain weight by actively increasing the appetite. They don't always overcome the inability to eat, but they exist.

Some drugs cause weight gain in some people and not others.

If you just want to be right and pass judgment in a mean way, just do that. You don't actually need people to fight with you. Just do it!

I hope you have a better day.

I was on a very high daily dose of steroids for the first 9 months I was losing weight. Did my appetite increase YES, did I have to make sure to watch for trends in my weight loss so I could adjust my calorie consumption for this YES. But did this stop me from losing weight no.

I used the prednisone as an excuse for my weight gain for the previous year - but it was my choice not to control my eating. Yes there was some bloating and water weight but it just meant there were some bigger fluctuations.
    Have you taken all the drugs that cause weight gain? And did you lose while taking all of them?

Bully for you.

Not everyone is so lucky.

People do have experiences that aren't the same as yours because they aren't you.

People do lose and gain weight due to medications. Be humble enough to admit that you don't know everything and compassionate enough to not beat up on them, even if you couldn't care less about anyone else's problems.

So what are the list of medications that cause people to gain actual weight and not just increase appetite? Did someone post that yet?

none have been listed yet..except "steroids" and that was shot down as it doesn't cause weight gain but "bloat" and is generic word for a group of meds...nothing specific yet.
    Actually, prednisone was listed.

And while someone denied that it causes weight gain, that doesn't make it true.

Still wondering why nobody wants the names of drugs that cause people to lose weight!

Why not pick on those who went from normal to skinny, too?

again prednisone side effect is to increase appetite which causes weight gain...maths makes that true.

YOu named one that causes weight loss Chemo which was proven non factual as well...

So if you can name an acutal drug that affects weight due to the meds itself not appetite changes go ahead.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Bunch of unhappy Internet bullies trying to take your misery out on other people. You found a way that is, to some, acceptable.

But you're still what you are. Picking on people who gained due to drugs is no better than picking on people who lost due to drugs. You get away with it a little more, but you're still what you are.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Bunch of unhappy Internet bullies trying to take your misery out on other people. You found a way that is, to some, acceptable.

But you're still what you are. Picking on people who gained due to drugs is no better than picking on people who lost due to drugs. You get away with it a little more, but you're still what you are.

What have you done? Have you helped anyone other than post nonsense and call people bullies?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    No. I'm not talking about bloat or water retention. I'm talking about the people saying they got "fat" because the medication directly cause then to not be able to burn fat while in a caloric deficit.

And I'm not asking for a group of stuff like "steroids". Bring actual answers. Please list the medication.
    People gain weight when taking prednisone long-term. It isn't all water weight. They are generally too sick to exercise.

There are even drugs designed to make people gain weight by actively increasing the appetite. They don't always overcome the inability to eat, but they exist.

If you just want to be right and pass judgment in a mean way, just do that. You don't actually need people to fight with you. Just do it!

I was on a very high daily dose of steroids for the first 9 months I was losing weight. Did my appetite increase YES, did I have to make sure to watch for trends in my weight loss so I could adjust my calorie consumption for this YES. But did this stop me from losing weight no.

I used the prednisone as an excuse for my weight gain for the previous year - but it was my choice not to control my eating. Yes there was some bloating and water weight but it just meant there were some bigger fluctuations.
    Have you taken all the drugs that cause weight gain? And did you lose while taking all of them?

Bully for you.

People do have experiences that aren't the same as yours because they aren't you.

People do lose and gain weight due to medications. Be humble enough to admit that you don't know everything and compassionate enough to not beat up on them, even if you couldn't care less about anyone else's problems.

So what are the list of medications that cause people to gain actual weight and not just increase appetite? Did someone post that yet?
    One was named. Depakote is another.

Why not ask about meds that make people lose weight?

Don't you want to pick on people who are wasting away, too?

Or do you just want to pick on fat people?

Acttually Depakote does not cause weight gain itself...it changes appetite.
    Common Depakote side effects may include:

mild nausea or vomiting, mild stomach pain, diarrhea;

headache, mild dizziness, weakness, tremors;

problems with balance or walking;

blurred vision, double vision; or

changes in appetite, weight gain.

ETA: meds don't cause weight loss either...and if someone was in here claiming VLCD are the way to go get told right where to go very quickly...people with ED's are given direction to seek help .
    Then why not blame the skinny people who really didn't need to lose the weight?

You can't say you've never heard of people losing weight because of chemo. Why not go tell them it's their fault and they could gain if they stopped with the excuses?

If someone refused to do what was needed done and lost too much weight from chemo I would...people lose weight due to chemo effects all the time...it makes them vomit and changes appetite...but again that can be helped with weed which is prescribed often in Canada for that reason.

Excuses are just that...excuses and when there is an alternative course and that person refuses to take it ...it's all on them isn't it and their "excuse" is no longer valid and I don't want to hear it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Bully for you.

ETA: meds don't cause weight loss either...and if someone was in here claiming VLCD are the way to go get told right where to go very quickly...people with ED's are given direction to seek help .

You can't say you've never heard of people losing weight because of chemo. Why not go tell them it's their fault and they could gain if they stopped with the excuses?

If someone refused to do what was needed done and lost too much weight from chemo I would...people lose weight due to chemo effects all the time...it makes them vomit and changes appetite...but again that can be helped with weed which is prescribed often in Canada for that reason.

Excuses are just that...excuses and when there is an alternative course and that person refuses to take it ...it's all on them isn't it and their "excuse" is no longer valid and I don't want to hear it.
    Your parents must be so proud.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Now I am not making excuses but it is a harsh reality that it is easier for some people than others.

Probably. Pretty much everything is easier for some people than others. I always liked school, so I did well in it and ended up in a job that I like that relies on both hard work and lots of stress, but also skills and interests that I naturally have. It's enjoyable for me and wouldn't be for lots of others. I'm lucky in that. On the other hand, others have natural skills and interests that made it less likely they would gain weight. That's just life, not something that only fat people have dealt with, of course.

Also, as I get older I'm less convinced that it's all that much easier for the average fit person, perhaps because I live in a subculture that values fitness more than many subcultures in contemporary America (where it's pretty acceptable to be overweight these days, IMO), so there are plenty of fit people who probably are no more naturally inclined that way than I, but just see it as important, and perhaps because it gets harder for a higher percentage of people as they age. I used to blame my job, which can have crazy hours and be pretty stressful from time to time, such that I feel like I have to drop everything (I finally got to a point where I was ready to lose because I finished 3 straight years of serious craziness and am having a much less crazy year now). But I look at co-workers and friends with similar jobs and see how they have placed fitness in a different part of the hierarchy than I have. Going to the gym might be a non-negotiable thing for them, whereas for me it wasn't. And they are often much more careful about their diets/not overeating than I was.
  • sam1053
    sam1053 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree that yes, we choose to make bad decisions, but I also feel that a lot of obese people don't understand how mental their problem is. They feel like something is wrong with them and that they can't ever overcome it. It isn't until they realize that their weight gain comes from other issues than the obvious physical ones like overeating and being inactive that they change. Once you understand that bad habits come from coping with emotional issues, you are able to make changes and cope in other ways. There are so many people who have never had do deal with being overweight who don't understand the real issue, doctors included.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

shotsfired_zps37fb2e88.gif?t=1397524957

haha...too funny who has called names? who has picked on people ?

Me thinks this person needs to look in the mirror prior to posting something like this...pot meet kettle.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Your parents must be so proud.

They are..they raised me to use common sense and logic to dictate my path in life which I have. If you have a way to fix it...fix it if you choose not to use that avenue...suck it up buttercup...

btw I would say this irl....

However I see you haven't been able to come up with any real meds that cause weight loss or gain....without one of the side effects being "change in appetite"....
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing references to 'luck' when it comes to attaining and maintaining a healthy weight.

The thing that troubles me the most about a lot of these posts, is that it can lend credence to a defeatist attitude for people just coming to this site in the hopes of making positive changes in their lives.

The vast majority of people that come here to lose weight will (like all of us) have issues to overcome, both physical and mental. If they see enough of these 'only the lucky can lose weight' posts, it would be very easy for them to talk themselves out of even making the effort.

'Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.'
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • rhermida3
    Options
    I've only read some of the thread, but I think it would be helpful to clarify some things.

Having different degrees of suseptibility to the elements that influence weight gain (such as depression, taking of some medications, etc...) has nothing to do with whether or not you ultimately have a choice.

Due to scarcity, life is full of tradeoffs. For example, eating a piece of cake vs. exercising X amount of time. Now, due to various factors, you may be prompted more in one direction or the other compared to other people, but the choice is still yours. You just make a tradeoff. That's it. Now, you may have to have more "willpower" to make a certain choice than most people (for example, if you are extremely depressed), but it is still a choice.

That being said, I don't think it's entirely correct to say the person chooses "to be fat", especially since the link between unhealthy behaviors and weight is not always manifested clearly in the mind of the person at the time. If a person eats a piece of cake to (for a moment) counteract feelings of sadness, I doubt very much the tradeoff is seen as "Be happy for a few minutes and gain more weight vs. continue to be sad and not take in X weight".

As far as different people being suseptible to weight gains in different ways, I think everyone in life has a "cross to bear" on some aspect of life in this way. For me, it is reasonably hard to be in large group settings, because I am an extreme introvert (not shy, but an introvert) and find it exhausting. It is much more difficult for me to motivate myself enough to go to a large group activity than it would be an extreme extrovert...but it is still ultimately my choice to make the tradeoff (trading the obtainment of social activity for a major loss in energy vs. keeping that energy but missing the social activity) that leads to me going to a large social event or not.

My two cents.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

The only people calling names is you!! Which of course your doing hiding behind your key board.

Drugs don't cause you to lose/gain weight, it's the appetite that the drugs change that makes you gain or lose!!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Bully for you.

At a guess, because radiation, chemo, and some other drugs can cause uncontrolled vomiting that prevents the patient from eating voluntarily no matter how hard they try. Those people usually go on feeding tubes or are fed through I.V. They're doing what their doc deems necessary to deal with their weight. These people also frequently have problems digesting the food, so even if a great deal is being force-fed, they just can't process enough to gain weight.

I don't know of any drug that shoves food down someone's throat and makes them swallow it.

The two situations are not really analogous.
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    hahaha, just woke the baby up I am laughing so hard!
  • Idontwanttobeahamplanet
    Options
    I don't mean to sound cold-hearted here, but:

Unless somebody is holding a gun to your head, MOST OF THE TIME, we make the choices to overeat and not exercise because that's what we want to do. Yeah, we don't like the consequences, but the fact is they are usually the result of our own choices.

Exactly!
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing references to 'luck' when it comes to attaining and maintaining a healthy weight.

The thing that troubles me the most about a lot of these posts, is that it can lend credence to a defeatist attitude for people just coming to this site in the hopes of making positive changes in their lives.

The vast majority of people that come here to lose weight will (like all of us) have issues to overcome, both physical and mental. If they see enough of these 'only the lucky can lose weight' posts, it would be very easy for them to talk themselves out of even making the effort.

'Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.'
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've never thought that it took luck to lose weight/ maintain weight. Most people who are at a healthy weight work damn hard to be there. I think when you're scraping through, though, and see zero light at the end of the tunnel yeah you're going to have a defeatist attitude. I think the major difference between that and being on a site like this, though, is there's obviously some congizant reason you're here. You know? MFP isn't a representative sample of the population as a whole: we all are here for the same reason: to be healthy. I think we often lose sight of that within the dogma of the diet and exercise vortex.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

I'm also going to add, that I am very happy when I first started in Jan of 2013 I found people like MrM and Stef that said things like even though you are on steroids and whatever else, can't exercise you can still lose weight you just need to find your deficit. And not people like you who say oh you're on medications you can't they make you gain weight.. the outcome for me would have been much different.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was actually watching Supersize vs Superskinny and there was a woman who chose to be fat, she wanted to get fatter and fatter because she thought she was beautiful because of it. Weight is a two way street. You just have to be willing to face the consequences of it later.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Some people do know what it takes to live healthier, and choose not to. Perhaps because they feel too overwhelmed by it all? I'm not sure. I say this because I know of someone who is a good example. Me. I was there for a long time. Like any other major change, a person has to want it enough to make it happen.