Judging people and their weight

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    No such thing as naturally thin. No such thing as naturally fat. If you overeat you get fat. The only valid medical issue for obsesity isPrader-Willis and even then they're not fat because of the disease but the food they're eating.

Excuses about exercise are irrelevant. Losing weight doesn't need exercise. You can lose weight without exercising at all.

If you are overweight or obese you are eating too much. It is that simple. No study has been shown to disprove that. (Maintaining is harder and studies have shown that but it's still possible)

You think that's the only "valid" medical issue for obesity? Think again. :laugh:

Yes it is. No other disease will cause you to become obese. (Note I'm not saying put on weight, you can put on weight for medical reasons but not obesity) Even Prader-Willis won't make you become obese but it's one that more understandable.

There are a number of medical conditions that can make a person obese...

Diabetes
    Insulin resistance
    Hypothyroidism
    Cushing's syndrome
    Addison's disease
    PCOS
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

My wife struggled with severe pain through chemotherapy, a double mastectomy, and reconstructive surgery, and still struggles with fibromyalgia. It's amazing what weight training has done for her. It hurt like hell in the beginning though.

Maybe it could work. Not sure though, scar tissue isn't like stretchy and the pain keeps getting worse not better. I had a pretty bad flare up after my 5k on Sunday and I wasn't running that thing just walking fast. I have to be careful since a pain flare up can be so bad that I can't get out of bed. Since I work full time and have two children a day in bed isn't feasible ya know?

Yea, bench pressing after a double mastectomy is so very easy and no scar tissue there. At some point, it really does just look like so many excuses. If you want it badly enough then you'll do it. If you don't then you won't.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options

That was in no way taking things out of context. You said those things, your own writing, to show you how inconsistent you are. The only thing you are being consistent with is deflecting personal responsibility. Some people will figure out the solution and succeed. Some people with play the role of the victim and people will approach them in a sensitive way, messaging their feeling to show some empathy while at the same time enabling them to continue throwing pity parties. We all have a choice to decide which individual we are, no matter what medical barriers or personal problems we face.

Really? You're not taking things out of context quoting stuff from over a year ago as "proof"? Eg. "I ate a lot different when I was 140lbs vs. now 4 years later and exercised every day". Context that is missing: "I had surgery on my abdomen a few months ago so I'm not exercising right now because I am unable to" and "I ate more veggies back then and now I need to eat better" (Considering this was a year and 3 months ago, I'm pretty sure I've made adjustments since then). Or "I used to have 6+ drinks when I went out now I only have 3" context that is missing "My calorie priorities were different" (and as I said earlier I only started eating at a deficit again in the last month or so). Or how's this one "I used to eat 1500 calories/ day and was running 7 miles" context that is missing "I was training for a half marathon and was feeling pretty awesome, I wasn't losing but I wasn't gaining either. This was two years ago".

Do you not think that there's more to what's going on that what I feel comfortable writing on here? And why? Because of this attitude. Very few people actually want to help on this site. They use it to feel morally superior to others who have serious issues.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    No such thing as naturally thin. No such thing as naturally fat. If you overeat you get fat. The only valid medical issue for obsesity isPrader-Willis and even then they're not fat because of the disease but the food they're eating.

Excuses about exercise are irrelevant. Losing weight doesn't need exercise. You can lose weight without exercising at all.

If you are overweight or obese you are eating too much. It is that simple. No study has been shown to disprove that. (Maintaining is harder and studies have shown that but it's still possible)

You think that's the only "valid" medical issue for obesity? Think again. :laugh:

Yes it is. No other disease will cause you to become obese. (Note I'm not saying put on weight, you can put on weight for medical reasons but not obesity) Even Prader-Willis won't make you become obese but it's one that more understandable.

There are a number of medical conditions that can make a person obese...

Diabetes
    Insulin resistance
    Hypothyroidism
    Cushing's syndrome
    Addison's disease
    PCOS
    None of these things make you obese. They can make it easier to gain weight. They can make weight gain occur on fewer calories consumed. But the fact of the matter is you still have to eat more calories then you burn in a day to get obese. For someone with a medical condition that number can be much lower, but calorie in vs out still apply.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

My wife struggled with severe pain through chemotherapy, a double mastectomy, and reconstructive surgery, and still struggles with fibromyalgia. It's amazing what weight training has done for her. It hurt like hell in the beginning though.

Maybe it could work. Not sure though, scar tissue isn't like stretchy and the pain keeps getting worse not better. I had a pretty bad flare up after my 5k on Sunday and I wasn't running that thing just walking fast. I have to be careful since a pain flare up can be so bad that I can't get out of bed. Since I work full time and have two children a day in bed isn't feasible ya know?

Yea, bench pressing after a double mastectomy is so very easy and no scar tissue there. At some point, it really does just look like so many excuses. If you want it badly enough then you'll do it. If you don't then you won't.

It's a fallicy to compare one person to another when their health needs are different. Some people actually don't have any chronic pain from scar tissue build up. I'm not sure how it's an excuse when I'm explaining my hesitency while also telling you that I'm exercising in some way regularly just being hesitant regarding weights. I know what running/ walking does to my body. I don't know what weight training will do to it at this point in time. I used to weight train twice a week for cross training purposes. I'm not against it I just am not sure how my body will adjust to it right now at this point in time given what's happening right now. Considering I'm facing the barrell of yet another surgery when my insurance approves it's definitly a possiblity after that happens and I'm recovered.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I don't mean to sound cold-hearted here, but:

Unless somebody is holding a gun to your head, MOST OF THE TIME, we make the choices to overeat and not exercise because that's what we want to do. Yeah, we don't like the consequences, but the fact is they are usually the result of our own choices.

^^This Exactly^^

Sadly we live in a society where the majority of people pass blame. And cry, it`s not my fault......
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

It's a fallicy to compare one person to another when their health needs are different. Some people actually don't have any chronic pain from scar tissue build up. I'm not sure how it's an excuse when I'm explaining my hesitency while also telling you that I'm exercising in some way regularly just being hesitant regarding weights. I know what running/ walking does to my body. I don't know what weight training will do to it at this point in time. I used to weight train twice a week for cross training purposes. I'm not against it I just am not sure how my body will adjust to it right now at this point in time given what's happening right now. Considering I'm facing the barrell of yet another surgery when my insurance approves it's definitly a possiblity after that happens and I'm recovered.

:flowerforyou:
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

I posted above about weighing. Seriously, weigh everything. You should also be focusing on lean meats, dairy, and eggs as your primary protein sources if you eat them (and it appears that you do). Those protein sources and vegetables should be making up the vast majority of your diet. Peanut butter is fine on days when you need to hit your fat macro but don't look at it as a protein source. It is a fat source. Fat is necessary. Also, keep your popcorn and candy consumption at a small amount of your daily total. At 1700 calories, 400-500 calories of that is crowding out protein and fiber. Keep at it, weigh and measure, clean up your diet a bit, and finally, start strength training.

I weigh everything. I have this wonderful little red scale that goes right in my purse to work with me if I didn't weigh everything the night before. I'm working on the cleaning it up I have a sugar problem. I crave it like crazy so I try to fit it in. Now with the strength training, I plan on throwing in a day there a week when I get a little stronger. Trying to stick to one thing before I throw in something new.

The advantage to strength training is that it will allow you to keep muscle mass as you lose weight so that more of what you lose is fat. It should be done at least 3 days a week. I hear what you're saying about sticking with things though, but think about it, as it does work. We all like sugar. Just reduce it a bit, I'm certainly not saying eliminate it as that's not sustainable for many of us. The only problem with sugar is when too much is consumed as it crowds out other nutrients and/or causes you to exceed your calorie goal.

Also, with regard to weight gain and loss, keep in mind that daily fluctuations are normal and largely do to food consumption, using the restroom, and water. When you weigh yourself do it at the same time and under the same conditions every time you weigh, and focus only on the trend line. My own weight varies by 4 to 5 pounds throughout the day.

Yeah I weigh myself in the AM every morning same time, after I use the toilet. I'm honestly worried about doing any strength training because of chronic pain. I've actually been hurting myself pretty bad with the running and walking so it's really hard for me to say "OK, I'm going to add in weight that I know is going to hurt badly for several days after on top of already hurting badly".
    could you swap the running for the strength training instead, might hurt less.

Strength training aggravates the crap out of my core. I have pretty severe adhesions (scar tissue) in my tummy ranging from just under my rib cage to the top of my hips. Anything that engages or moves the muscles there hurts like hell.

any exercises in the swimming pool? would that be any good?

I swim a lot with the kids but there's not a swimming pool accessable to me for like lap swimming and whatnot. We just go to the lake.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree. No should judge anyone but as humans that's kind of a natural thing to judge one another. The reason people are over or under weight is exactly that; people have emotional issues that they cannot control by themselves so they turn to and/or ignore food, that's we have so many people in the nation suffering from eating disorders. It's very sad
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Unfortunately what the doctor is saying is true. Being overweight or obese is self inflicted. No one is forcing someone to eat more than they should. Food to some is just as addicting as tobacco is to smokers. How many people truly feel sorry for someone who gets lung cancer after smoking for decades? Not many. How many people truly feel sorry for someone who is considered obese that dies, or contracts a related disease associated with their weight. Again not many.

Medication that causes weight gain is not self-inflicted.
    But the person is still making a choice to take the medication, because the benefits of taking it outweigh the consequences. It may not be a good choice, or a fair choice. It may be the case that no sane person would choose not to take the medication, regardless of how much weight gain it causes, but it's still a choice.

And even then, it's not the medication that makes people gain weight is it? Isn't it that the medication causes them to be more hungry so they over eat and gain weight?

Wrong. It is usually entirely the medication that causes weight gain. Some medications are known to increase appetite which leads people to eat more, however, that's not the case for everyone.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Unfortunately what the doctor is saying is true. Being overweight or obese is self inflicted. No one is forcing someone to eat more than they should. Food to some is just as addicting as tobacco is to smokers. How many people truly feel sorry for someone who gets lung cancer after smoking for decades? Not many. How many people truly feel sorry for someone who is considered obese that dies, or contracts a related disease associated with their weight. Again not many.

Medication that causes weight gain is not self-inflicted.
    But the person is still making a choice to take the medication, because the benefits of taking it outweigh the consequences. It may not be a good choice, or a fair choice. It may be the case that no sane person would choose not to take the medication, regardless of how much weight gain it causes, but it's still a choice.

And even then, it's not the medication that makes people gain weight is it? Isn't it that the medication causes them to be more hungry so they over eat and gain weight?

Wrong. It is usually entirely the medication that causes weight gain. Some medications are known to increase appetite which leads people to eat more, however, that's not the case for everyone.

And, the best reading comp fail of the day goes to . . .
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

That was in no way taking things out of context. You said those things, your own writing, to show you how inconsistent you are. The only thing you are being consistent with is deflecting personal responsibility. Some people will figure out the solution and succeed. Some people with play the role of the victim and people will approach them in a sensitive way, messaging their feeling to show some empathy while at the same time enabling them to continue throwing pity parties. We all have a choice to decide which individual we are, no matter what medical barriers or personal problems we face.

Really? You're not taking things out of context quoting stuff from over a year ago as "proof"? Eg. "I ate a lot different when I was 140lbs vs. now 4 years later and exercised every day". Context that is missing: "I had surgery on my abdomen a few months ago so I'm not exercising right now because I am unable to" and "I ate more veggies back then and now I need to eat better" (Considering this was a year and 3 months ago, I'm pretty sure I've made adjustments since then). Or "I used to have 6+ drinks when I went out now I only have 3" context that is missing "My calorie priorities were different" (and as I said earlier I only started eating at a deficit again in the last month or so). Or how's this one "I used to eat 1500 calories/ day and was running 7 miles" context that is missing "I was training for a half marathon and was feeling pretty awesome, I wasn't losing but I wasn't gaining either. This was two years ago".

Do you not think that there's more to what's going on that what I feel comfortable writing on here? And why? Because of this attitude. Very few people actually want to help on this site. They use it to feel morally superior to others who have serious issues.

Really now...interesting that you assume that.

Considering how many random people email me all the time and I answer their questions to the best of my ability.

I do not feel morally superior to you, I feel bad actually that you haven't come to that place you need to be, you know the reason for being on MFP to accept that in order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit regardless of medical issues and no exercise is required to lose weight. And that with some of your conditions it will be harder but can be done as many many women here have proven over and over again....

When you want it bad enough you will do it.

And not all those quotes were old some were very recent
    I go out almost every weekend. What I started doing is instead of the 6+ drinks I used to have I now drink water in between so it's cut down to 2-3 drinks. Still quite a few calories but if I know I'm going out I won't eat as heavily during the daytime either.
    This one was yesterday
    -I haven't always been in a calorie deficit. I started logging consistantly to show my doctors that I wasn't over eating. Then since my hormones got balanced I decided to try again with restricting calories because I should be able to function like a normal human being now. But I've kept a food journal consistantly for 3 years. Which really helped last year because I gained 60lbs out of nowhere and my doctor didnt' believe that I wasn't overeating until I showed him my journal. Turns out I had a huge tumor on my thyroid and my thyroid wasn't fucntioning right. Looooooooong story. But my new doc wants to see the macros so that's why I started logging here recently
    This one was July 29 2014...less than a week ago.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Have you tried myofascial release techniques with a physical therapist specializing in chronic pain? Maybe you've heard of a technique called skin rolling? Very effective for adhesions and other conditions under the skin that cause lack of flexibility and pain.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I posted above about weighing. Seriously, weigh everything. You should also be focusing on lean meats, dairy, and eggs as your primary protein sources if you eat them (and it appears that you do). Those protein sources and vegetables should be making up the vast majority of your diet. Peanut butter is fine on days when you need to hit your fat macro but don't look at it as a protein source. It is a fat source. Fat is necessary. Also, keep your popcorn and candy consumption at a small amount of your daily total. At 1700 calories, 400-500 calories of that is crowding out protein and fiber. Keep at it, weigh and measure, clean up your diet a bit, and finally, start strength training.

I weigh everything. I have this wonderful little red scale that goes right in my purse to work with me if I didn't weigh everything the night before. I'm working on the cleaning it up I have a sugar problem. I crave it like crazy so I try to fit it in. Now with the strength training, I plan on throwing in a day there a week when I get a little stronger. Trying to stick to one thing before I throw in something new.

The advantage to strength training is that it will allow you to keep muscle mass as you lose weight so that more of what you lose is fat. It should be done at least 3 days a week. I hear what you're saying about sticking with things though, but think about it, as it does work. We all like sugar. Just reduce it a bit, I'm certainly not saying eliminate it as that's not sustainable for many of us. The only problem with sugar is when too much is consumed as it crowds out other nutrients and/or causes you to exceed your calorie goal.

Also, with regard to weight gain and loss, keep in mind that daily fluctuations are normal and largely do to food consumption, using the restroom, and water. When you weigh yourself do it at the same time and under the same conditions every time you weigh, and focus only on the trend line. My own weight varies by 4 to 5 pounds throughout the day.

Yeah I weigh myself in the AM every morning same time, after I use the toilet. I'm honestly worried about doing any strength training because of chronic pain. I've actually been hurting myself pretty bad with the running and walking so it's really hard for me to say "OK, I'm going to add in weight that I know is going to hurt badly for several days after on top of already hurting badly".

Strength training aggravates the crap out of my core. I have pretty severe adhesions (scar tissue) in my tummy ranging from just under my rib cage to the top of my hips. Anything that engages or moves the muscles there hurts like hell.

That's ridiculous!! I have BIG time issues with scar tissue build up from surgeries I've had in the past and it has never given me issues at all!! I think you are just making excuses after another!! That's my 2 cents.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

any exercises in the swimming pool? would that be any good?

I swim a lot with the kids but there's not a swimming pool accessable to me for like lap swimming and whatnot. We just go to the lake.

oh nice one. you can swim there then. i would swap out the running for the swimming and then slowly add in your strength training.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Which does bring me back to my point. You're not accurately recording what you eat. I get it. I've been there. But if you're not losing weight at 1700 then you are eating too much. It's that simple.

I weigh everything, my diary is 100% accurate. If I'm not losing weight at 1700 something's WRONG. In anyone else they would be losing, not gaining, not maintaining. Which is what my point was to begin with :grumble:

actually no you don't.

Looked at your diary...
    January over some, not weighed mostly measured, missed days on end, partial days
    Feb mostly not logged, items not weighed,
    March partial days, most days not logged, when you did log it wasn't weighed mostly
    sporatic logging at best in march at the start of the month
    nothing on the days I clicked in april (about 1/2 of them)

no logging at all in June. Started July 13...often over goal, cup measurments oz weights (which are inaccurate).

I was heavy and yo yo'd for almost 20 years...I have no excuses for it other than eating too much and not moving enough.

No medical condition if in a deficit will prevent weight loss...and this is a perfect example of what the doctors were saying.

If you don't want to be over weight then don't be. It is not easy but it can be done.

I don't judge those who are actively trying to lose weight and are being honest with themselves about it. I don't judge those who aren't actively trying either I just feel bad for them.

I haven't been using MFP to log. I had sometimes been using it to check macro nutrients per my doc's request but haven't started using MFP to be my log until July. I've been keeping a paper diary. And no, they're not cup measurements it's just how it's entered into MFP. Example: 1/2 a cup of ice cream is 62 grams. I'm using my scale to measure out the grams but MFP is logging it in cups or ounces. Still the same stats but when I log it, it comes up with a different unit of measurement even though that's EXACTLY what's on the box. I've been over my goal 3 times. And, again, still under 2000 cals except for yesterday. That shouldn't cause someone my size to gain weight.

I am not going to argue this point past this post.

Based on your diary from January 2014 to today you have used MFP to log in Jan, some of feb, some of mar none in april none in june some in july and now in august. So you have used it somewhat for logging.

As for your measurments it doesn't matter 1/2 cup <>62grams and choosing correct entires is as important as weighing. I do not use the entries that are not in grams even my own recipes are in grams. As for being over your goal without the log in MFP who knows....

If you are gaining weight you are NOT in a deficit...period. Simple math and physics and until the world of science is turned upside down thems the facts.

but these sort of explain a whole lot to me anyway. I mean I could go on with these but I won't...there are more. Even the fact you ate out 2x and lost 4lbs...I see a lot of back and forth with you...but until people are ready to accept what they are doing they will remain the same.
    Hey there OP: I'm actually quite happy being on the heavier side as long as I feel awesome and don't have any major health issues. Previous to a few months ago I was fine with being active, and being just shy of 200lbs. I had pretty much given up on diet/ exercise except to stay happy and control my depression symptoms (works quite well that way!) It wasn't until I gained a massive amount of weight out of nowhere that I started to become unhappy.
    Between Adenomyosis, needing a hysterectomy, 2 csections, THEN my gallbladder got infected THEN my appendix also got infected.... oh and have I talked about the surgery I had for adhesions? Top it all off no ovaries means my adrenal glands are acting all nuts now too. I've been trying for YEARS to get the proper diagnosis besides "you're just fat, go on a diet". Finally got my answer yesterday with a proper diagnosis of Hashimoto's Hypothyroidisim with possible prediabetic comorbidity
    Not sure where to start here. I once lost 80lbs. This was about 4 years ago. Pop out a kid, have a few surgeries and bam, I'm up 60lbs again *sigh* Sunday was my baby's 3rd birthday. I just about vomitted when I saw pics of myself. The problem is I KNOW how to do this. But Monday I found my diet log from back then... on paper. And I realized, damn I really DID eat a LOT differently. AND I exercised almost daily. It was almost mind blowing because I kept saying, well I don't do anything *that* differently. And, hell I really do do things very differently.
    I go out almost every weekend. What I started doing is instead of the 6+ drinks I used to have I now drink water in between so it's cut down to 2-3 drinks. Still quite a few calories but if I know I'm going out I won't eat as heavily during the daytime either.
    -I haven't always been in a calorie deficit. I started logging consistantly to show my doctors that I wasn't over eating. Then since my hormones got balanced I decided to try again with restricting calories because I should be able to function like a normal human being now. But I've kept a food journal consistantly for 3 years. Which really helped last year because I gained 60lbs out of nowhere and my doctor didnt' believe that I wasn't overeating until I showed him my journal. Turns out I had a huge tumor on my thyroid and my thyroid wasn't fucntioning right. Looooooooong story. But my new doc wants to see the macros so that's why I started logging here recently.

Way to take things out of context, great job :drinker:

Have you had metabolic testing done? Oxygen consumption test? Hydrostatic testing?

My best guess is that your basal metabolic rate is extremely compromised from your thyroid issues and everything else you are dealing with.

It doesn't matter that you SHOULD lose weight eating 2000 calories. You aren't the average Joe. If you ate 1200 calories a day, I guarantee you you would lose weight. If you don't lose weight eating 1200, then your BMR is even lower than I think it is. Meaning you would have to eat below 1200 (under doctor supervision, of course).
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

That's ridiculous!! I have BIG time issues with scar tissue build up from surgeries I've had in the past and it has never given me issues at all!! I think you are just making excuses after another!! That's my 2 cents.

Adhesions don't always aggrivate the person depending on where they are and how they're adhered. Not a one size fits all thing.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

oh nice one. you can swim there then. i would swap out the running for the swimming and then slowly add in your strength training.

That's definitly a possiblity :D
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Adhesions don't always aggrivate the person depending on where they are and how they're adhered. Not a one size fits all thing.

I agree. But being obese can definitely add to the pain you are experiencing.

Ask yourself this… Do you want to be obese for the rest of your life (and probably not live past 40 or 50) or do you want to suffer through some pain in order to lose the weight?