Judging people and their weight

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Just watched a show on TV where this "Doctor" is saying that people are fat because they want to be. That is such BS. I don't know one person, including myself, who wakes up every morning and says...."Hey, I want to stuff my face and be fat, so that people can stare at me, and judge me". Some of these doctors are complete idiots. Being fat is NOT the problem with most people. It's just a symptom of the problem. Many people eat excessively because of emotional issues, depression, loneliness, to find comfort etc. It makes me angry that people are so quick to judge others without knowing their story or walking even a block in their shoes. Hate it!

QFT
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    While there are SOME people out there who just don't care, I"m not sure it's fair to say all people who are overweight are that way because they want to be. I know someone who is and they told me they wish they could do what I was doing. (my running) I told her she could if she tried, but she said she couldn't. (Conversation never got past that point as we were interrupted with work.)

There are people who have medical issues and have problems with their weight because of that. I have an Aunt who is like that.

I don't believe in judging people because of their size. Unless you know them on a personal level, you don't know the circumstances of why they are overweight and why they may or may not be doing anything. The first person I mentioned about saying she wished she could do what I am doing, I don't know that well, so I can't judge her very well based on her weight or whether she says she can do something or not.

You also don't know how hard that person might be working to loose that weight. Who knows, when you see them, they might have already lost several pounds and are working on more. When I see people on here who announce large weight loses (like people who announce weight a loss of more then what I currently weigh!), or people whose ticker I see that shows a significant weight lost (40lb, 50lb and more) I give them a silent cheer.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Which does bring me back to my point. You're not accurately recording what you eat. I get it. I've been there. But if you're not losing weight at 1700 then you are eating too much. It's that simple.

I weigh everything, my diary is 100% accurate. If I'm not losing weight at 1700 something's WRONG. In anyone else they would be losing, not gaining, not maintaining. Which is what my point was to begin with :grumble:

actually no you don't.

Looked at your diary...
    January over some, not weighed mostly measured, missed days on end, partial days
    Feb mostly not logged, items not weighed,
    March partial days, most days not logged, when you did log it wasn't weighed mostly
    sporatic logging at best in march at the start of the month
    nothing on the days I clicked in april (about 1/2 of them)

no logging at all in June. Started July 13...often over goal, cup measurments oz weights (which are inaccurate).

I was heavy and yo yo'd for almost 20 years...I have no excuses for it other than eating too much and not moving enough.

No medical condition if in a deficit will prevent weight loss...and this is a perfect example of what the doctors were saying.

If you don't want to be over weight then don't be. It is not easy but it can be done.

I don't judge those who are actively trying to lose weight and are being honest with themselves about it. I don't judge those who aren't actively trying either I just feel bad for them.

I haven't been using MFP to log. I had sometimes been using it to check macro nutrients per my doc's request but haven't started using MFP to be my log until July. I've been keeping a paper diary. And no, they're not cup measurements it's just how it's entered into MFP. Example: 1/2 a cup of ice cream is 62 grams. I'm using my scale to measure out the grams but MFP is logging it in cups or ounces. Still the same stats but when I log it, it comes up with a different unit of measurement even though that's EXACTLY what's on the box. I've been over my goal 3 times. And, again, still under 2000 cals except for yesterday. That shouldn't cause someone my size to gain weight.

I am not going to argue this point past this post.

Based on your diary from January 2014 to today you have used MFP to log in Jan, some of feb, some of mar none in april none in june some in july and now in august. So you have used it somewhat for logging.

As for your measurments it doesn't matter 1/2 cup <>62grams and choosing correct entires is as important as weighing. I do not use the entries that are not in grams even my own recipes are in grams. As for being over your goal without the log in MFP who knows....

If you are gaining weight you are NOT in a deficit...period. Simple math and physics and until the world of science is turned upside down thems the facts.

but these sort of explain a whole lot to me anyway. I mean I could go on with these but I won't...there are more. Even the fact you ate out 2x and lost 4lbs...I see a lot of back and forth with you...but until people are ready to accept what they are doing they will remain the same.
    Hey there OP: I'm actually quite happy being on the heavier side as long as I feel awesome and don't have any major health issues. Previous to a few months ago I was fine with being active, and being just shy of 200lbs. I had pretty much given up on diet/ exercise except to stay happy and control my depression symptoms (works quite well that way!) It wasn't until I gained a massive amount of weight out of nowhere that I started to become unhappy.
    Between Adenomyosis, needing a hysterectomy, 2 csections, THEN my gallbladder got infected THEN my appendix also got infected.... oh and have I talked about the surgery I had for adhesions? Top it all off no ovaries means my adrenal glands are acting all nuts now too. I've been trying for YEARS to get the proper diagnosis besides "you're just fat, go on a diet". Finally got my answer yesterday with a proper diagnosis of Hashimoto's Hypothyroidisim with possible prediabetic comorbidity
    Not sure where to start here. I once lost 80lbs. This was about 4 years ago. Pop out a kid, have a few surgeries and bam, I'm up 60lbs again *sigh* Sunday was my baby's 3rd birthday. I just about vomitted when I saw pics of myself. The problem is I KNOW how to do this. But Monday I found my diet log from back then... on paper. And I realized, damn I really DID eat a LOT differently. AND I exercised almost daily. It was almost mind blowing because I kept saying, well I don't do anything *that* differently. And, hell I really do do things very differently.
    I go out almost every weekend. What I started doing is instead of the 6+ drinks I used to have I now drink water in between so it's cut down to 2-3 drinks. Still quite a few calories but if I know I'm going out I won't eat as heavily during the daytime either.
    -I haven't always been in a calorie deficit. I started logging consistantly to show my doctors that I wasn't over eating. Then since my hormones got balanced I decided to try again with restricting calories because I should be able to function like a normal human being now. But I've kept a food journal consistantly for 3 years. Which really helped last year because I gained 60lbs out of nowhere and my doctor didnt' believe that I wasn't overeating until I showed him my journal. Turns out I had a huge tumor on my thyroid and my thyroid wasn't fucntioning right. Looooooooong story. But my new doc wants to see the macros so that's why I started logging here recently.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I posted above about weighing. Seriously, weigh everything. You should also be focusing on lean meats, dairy, and eggs as your primary protein sources if you eat them (and it appears that you do). Those protein sources and vegetables should be making up the vast majority of your diet. Peanut butter is fine on days when you need to hit your fat macro but don't look at it as a protein source. It is a fat source. Fat is necessary. Also, keep your popcorn and candy consumption at a small amount of your daily total. At 1700 calories, 400-500 calories of that is crowding out protein and fiber. Keep at it, weigh and measure, clean up your diet a bit, and finally, start strength training.

I weigh everything. I have this wonderful little red scale that goes right in my purse to work with me if I didn't weigh everything the night before. I'm working on the cleaning it up I have a sugar problem. I crave it like crazy so I try to fit it in. Now with the strength training, I plan on throwing in a day there a week when I get a little stronger. Trying to stick to one thing before I throw in something new.

The advantage to strength training is that it will allow you to keep muscle mass as you lose weight so that more of what you lose is fat. It should be done at least 3 days a week. I hear what you're saying about sticking with things though, but think about it, as it does work. We all like sugar. Just reduce it a bit, I'm certainly not saying eliminate it as that's not sustainable for many of us. The only problem with sugar is when too much is consumed as it crowds out other nutrients and/or causes you to exceed your calorie goal.

Also, with regard to weight gain and loss, keep in mind that daily fluctuations are normal and largely do to food consumption, using the restroom, and water. When you weigh yourself do it at the same time and under the same conditions every time you weigh, and focus only on the trend line. My own weight varies by 4 to 5 pounds throughout the day.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Which does bring me back to my point. You're not accurately recording what you eat. I get it. I've been there. But if you're not losing weight at 1700 then you are eating too much. It's that simple.

I weigh everything, my diary is 100% accurate. If I'm not losing weight at 1700 something's WRONG. In anyone else they would be losing, not gaining, not maintaining. Which is what my point was to begin with :grumble:

actually no you don't.

Looked at your diary...
    January over some, not weighed mostly measured, missed days on end, partial days
    Feb mostly not logged, items not weighed,
    March partial days, most days not logged, when you did log it wasn't weighed mostly
    sporatic logging at best in march at the start of the month
    nothing on the days I clicked in april (about 1/2 of them)

no logging at all in June. Started July 13...often over goal, cup measurments oz weights (which are inaccurate).

I was heavy and yo yo'd for almost 20 years...I have no excuses for it other than eating too much and not moving enough.

No medical condition if in a deficit will prevent weight loss...and this is a perfect example of what the doctors were saying.

If you don't want to be over weight then don't be. It is not easy but it can be done.

I don't judge those who are actively trying to lose weight and are being honest with themselves about it. I don't judge those who aren't actively trying either I just feel bad for them.

I haven't been using MFP to log. I had sometimes been using it to check macro nutrients per my doc's request but haven't started using MFP to be my log until July. I've been keeping a paper diary. And no, they're not cup measurements it's just how it's entered into MFP. Example: 1/2 a cup of ice cream is 62 grams. I'm using my scale to measure out the grams but MFP is logging it in cups or ounces. Still the same stats but when I log it, it comes up with a different unit of measurement even though that's EXACTLY what's on the box. I've been over my goal 3 times. And, again, still under 2000 cals except for yesterday. That shouldn't cause someone my size to gain weight.

I am not going to argue this point past this post.

Based on your diary from January 2014 to today you have used MFP to log in Jan, some of feb, some of mar none in april none in june some in july and now in august. So you have used it somewhat for logging.

As for your measurments it doesn't matter 1/2 cup <>62grams and choosing correct entires is as important as weighing. I do not use the entries that are not in grams even my own recipes are in grams. As for being over your goal without the log in MFP who knows....

If you are gaining weight you are NOT in a deficit...period. Simple math and physics and until the world of science is turned upside down thems the facts.

but these sort of explain a whole lot to me anyway. I mean I could go on with these but I won't...there are more. Even the fact you ate out 2x and lost 4lbs...I see a lot of back and forth with you...but until people are ready to accept what they are doing they will remain the same.
    Hey there OP: I'm actually quite happy being on the heavier side as long as I feel awesome and don't have any major health issues. Previous to a few months ago I was fine with being active, and being just shy of 200lbs. I had pretty much given up on diet/ exercise except to stay happy and control my depression symptoms (works quite well that way!) It wasn't until I gained a massive amount of weight out of nowhere that I started to become unhappy.
    Between Adenomyosis, needing a hysterectomy, 2 csections, THEN my gallbladder got infected THEN my appendix also got infected.... oh and have I talked about the surgery I had for adhesions? Top it all off no ovaries means my adrenal glands are acting all nuts now too. I've been trying for YEARS to get the proper diagnosis besides "you're just fat, go on a diet". Finally got my answer yesterday with a proper diagnosis of Hashimoto's Hypothyroidisim with possible prediabetic comorbidity
    Not sure where to start here. I once lost 80lbs. This was about 4 years ago. Pop out a kid, have a few surgeries and bam, I'm up 60lbs again *sigh* Sunday was my baby's 3rd birthday. I just about vomitted when I saw pics of myself. The problem is I KNOW how to do this. But Monday I found my diet log from back then... on paper. And I realized, damn I really DID eat a LOT differently. AND I exercised almost daily. It was almost mind blowing because I kept saying, well I don't do anything *that* differently. And, hell I really do do things very differently.
    I go out almost every weekend. What I started doing is instead of the 6+ drinks I used to have I now drink water in between so it's cut down to 2-3 drinks. Still quite a few calories but if I know I'm going out I won't eat as heavily during the daytime either.
    -I haven't always been in a calorie deficit. I started logging consistantly to show my doctors that I wasn't over eating. Then since my hormones got balanced I decided to try again with restricting calories because I should be able to function like a normal human being now. But I've kept a food journal consistantly for 3 years. Which really helped last year because I gained 60lbs out of nowhere and my doctor didnt' believe that I wasn't overeating until I showed him my journal. Turns out I had a huge tumor on my thyroid and my thyroid wasn't fucntioning right. Looooooooong story. But my new doc wants to see the macros so that's why I started logging here recently.

Way to take things out of context, great job :drinker:
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

I posted above about weighing. Seriously, weigh everything. You should also be focusing on lean meats, dairy, and eggs as your primary protein sources if you eat them (and it appears that you do). Those protein sources and vegetables should be making up the vast majority of your diet. Peanut butter is fine on days when you need to hit your fat macro but don't look at it as a protein source. It is a fat source. Fat is necessary. Also, keep your popcorn and candy consumption at a small amount of your daily total. At 1700 calories, 400-500 calories of that is crowding out protein and fiber. Keep at it, weigh and measure, clean up your diet a bit, and finally, start strength training.

I weigh everything. I have this wonderful little red scale that goes right in my purse to work with me if I didn't weigh everything the night before. I'm working on the cleaning it up I have a sugar problem. I crave it like crazy so I try to fit it in. Now with the strength training, I plan on throwing in a day there a week when I get a little stronger. Trying to stick to one thing before I throw in something new.

The advantage to strength training is that it will allow you to keep muscle mass as you lose weight so that more of what you lose is fat. It should be done at least 3 days a week. I hear what you're saying about sticking with things though, but think about it, as it does work. We all like sugar. Just reduce it a bit, I'm certainly not saying eliminate it as that's not sustainable for many of us. The only problem with sugar is when too much is consumed as it crowds out other nutrients and/or causes you to exceed your calorie goal.

Also, with regard to weight gain and loss, keep in mind that daily fluctuations are normal and largely do to food consumption, using the restroom, and water. When you weigh yourself do it at the same time and under the same conditions every time you weigh, and focus only on the trend line. My own weight varies by 4 to 5 pounds throughout the day.

Yeah I weigh myself in the AM every morning same time, after I use the toilet. I'm honestly worried about doing any strength training because of chronic pain. I've actually been hurting myself pretty bad with the running and walking so it's really hard for me to say "OK, I'm going to add in weight that I know is going to hurt badly for several days after on top of already hurting badly".
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Yeah I weigh myself in the AM every morning same time, after I use the toilet. I'm honestly worried about doing any strength training because of chronic pain. I've actually been hurting myself pretty bad with the running and walking so it's really hard for me to say "OK, I'm going to add in weight that I know is going to hurt badly for several days after on top of already hurting badly".
    could you swap the running for the strength training instead, might hurt less.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

My wife struggled with severe pain through chemotherapy, a double mastectomy, and reconstructive surgery, and still struggles with fibromyalgia. It's amazing what weight training has done for her. It hurt like hell in the beginning though.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

Strength training aggravates the crap out of my core. I have pretty severe adhesions (scar tissue) in my tummy ranging from just under my rib cage to the top of my hips. Anything that engages or moves the muscles there hurts like hell.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It is amusing to see people who are "naturally thin" or really don't like food as much as others..judge people who are neither.

Some people think about and enjoy food more than other people. Many of the naturally thin people I know don't snack much..leave food on their plates and don't like high fat foods.

That's hardly a badge of honor..they're just lucky. I think that doctor is an idiot.

I love food, I love to cook, bake. I read food magazines and think about food a lot. I've never been over weight, in 43 years, not because I'm naturally thin but because I choose not to have big portions of what I love. I choose not to snack. I choose not to bake every day and when I do I adjust the rest of my diet so I can enjoy what I've made.

When I do notice a bit of weight gain I stop and do something about it. I'm not lucky I just made that choice.

QFT.

It is so easy to judge others and so, oh, they have it so easy, they're naturally thin.
    My childhood nickname was "chub-up," given to me by my older sister. I have always been chubby.
    She is in incredible shape, runs marathons and has a beautiful, athletic build.
    She also has MS, which at times interferes with her balance and ability to walk, let alone run.
    No one has it easy.
    I am making choices now to become as healthy as my sister, who even with her neurological condition could kick my *kitten*.
    I am the master of my own destiny and you are the master of yours.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Strength training aggravates the crap out of my core. I have pretty severe adhesions (scar tissue) in my tummy ranging from just under my rib cage to the top of my hips. Anything that engages or moves the muscles there hurts like hell.

any exercises in the swimming pool? would that be any good?
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's fair to say people "want" to be fat. No one really "wants" to be fat. People do however "choose" to be fat. I agree with all the issue you stated that can lead to becoming overweight but it is the individual's choice to allow those issues to dictate what they eat. All of those issues can be handled in ways other than eating. It is in our choices that we define ourselves.

THIS.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think we can agree most people don't want to be fat. If they did this site would be empty.

Yes, most people can loose the weight if they put their mind to it, but it's not always that easy. Once you are 50 + or more overweight, loosing it can feel impossible.

A lot of people got this way because they didn't have a good relationship with food and/ or didn't have a good concept of healthy portions/ choices. That can't be undone with willpower alone. You have to have the right tools to make it work, and keep it off.

Sure anyone can loose weight by eating very little and exercising like crazy, but that's not sustainable. Without the proper information and education it won't last. I know it wasn't working for me. I finally feel like I have a handle on this, but I'm not there yet. Will have to see how it works out over time.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    That was in no way taking things out of context. You said those things, your own writing, to show you how inconsistent you are. The only thing you are being consistent with is deflecting personal responsibility. Some people will figure out the solution and succeed. Some people with play the role of the victim and people will approach them in a sensitive way, messaging their feeling to show some empathy while at the same time enabling them to continue throwing pity parties. We all have a choice to decide which individual we are, no matter what medical barriers or personal problems we face.

Cute puppy MrM
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    That was in no way taking things out of context. You said those things, your own writing, to show you how inconsistent you are. The only thing you are being consistent with is deflecting personal responsibility. Some people will figure out the solution and succeed. Some people with play the role of the victim and people will approach them in a sensitive way, messaging their feeling to show some empathy while at the same time enabling them to continue throwing pity parties. We all have a choice to decide which individual we are, no matter what medical barriers or personal problems we face.

Cute puppy MrM
    I will say thank you even though knowing you that comment isn't the slightest sincere. But yes he's awesome.

my mother in law breeds those dogs....and has 2 teacups ones....interesting breed they are.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    While there are SOME people out there who just don't care, I"m not sure it's fair to say all people who are overweight are that way because they want to be. I know someone who is and they told me they wish they could do what I was doing. (my running) I told her she could if she tried, but she said she couldn't. (Conversation never got past that point as we were interrupted with work.)

There are people who have medical issues and have problems with their weight because of that. I have an Aunt who is like that.

I don't believe in judging people because of their size. Unless you know them on a personal level, you don't know the circumstances of why they are overweight and why they may or may not be doing anything. The first person I mentioned about saying she wished she could do what I am doing, I don't know that well, so I can't judge her very well based on her weight or whether she says she can do something or not.

You also don't know how hard that person might be working to loose that weight. Who knows, when you see them, they might have already lost several pounds and are working on more. When I see people on here who announce large weight loses (like people who announce weight a loss of more then what I currently weigh!), or people whose ticker I see that shows a significant weight lost (40lb, 50lb and more) I give them a silent cheer.

The woman who "can't do what you're doing" can't run, but she can eat at a deficit. That's the point. A lot of people have excuses, and use them as a crutch to explain why they don't even try. And she could eat at a deficit until she loses a little bit and I'd be willing to bet she will be more mobile and able to at least walk. I have similar experiences with people in my life. "Oh I can't lift weights like you can. I have bad knees/am weak/am a woman (lol)" The majority of my weight loss came from restricting my diet, not from the exercise. Besides the fact that I started out barely able to do 30 mins on the elliptical, pouring sweat and breathing heavy and basically dying.

I have a million excuses for why I was fat and could have stayed fat: working full-time while going to school at night, no time to monitor my food and exercise, stress eating because I'm pulling 17 hour days... but I am no longer obese because I didn't make excuses for myself. Now I get up at 4:30 MWF to get in an hour and a half in the gym + I weigh and log every single bite.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

My wife struggled with severe pain through chemotherapy, a double mastectomy, and reconstructive surgery, and still struggles with fibromyalgia. It's amazing what weight training has done for her. It hurt like hell in the beginning though.

Maybe it could work. Not sure though, scar tissue isn't like stretchy and the pain keeps getting worse not better. I had a pretty bad flare up after my 5k on Sunday and I wasn't running that thing just walking fast. I have to be careful since a pain flare up can be so bad that I can't get out of bed. Since I work full time and have two children a day in bed isn't feasible ya know?