Am I ok to replace food with alchohol for one day?

Options

Replies

• BarWench11
    Options
    I tend to find my weight does drop for a day or two, then stabilises again. I figure it's probably the dehydrating effect of the alcohol.

Creamy shooters and the like add up fast ;)
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    800 calories of alcohol in a day? Forget about weight gain, that is going to hurt your liver.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Haha, amazing. Glad you had a good night & didn't worry about the Puritan contingent. ^_^ Well, even if it works out, 3,500 calories is one pound of weight. You can handle that, right?
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Well, I ended up eating my usual calories in food and then another 3 AND A HALF THOUSAND ON TOP from alcohol. Jeez, I'm so done until Christmas now.

Haha, wait for all the haters to come on here and see that one.

Glad you had a good night, don't worry about it, one day won't kill you. Get back to normal eating/exercising straight away and you might even get away with it.
  • BarWench11
    Options
    Personally I'm impressed that you managed to keep track AND log those calories. In moments like these I know I'm tempted to go full denial mode if it's a 'cheat day anyhow'. That shows you're willing to be honest with yourself, and that right there is the key to living better.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'm very intrigued how you got to 3500 cals of alcohol. I take it sugary cocktails? (Always just going to be an estimate obviously)

Glad you had fun and didn't die or get sent to hell for drinking too much.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm impressed that you managed to keep track AND log those calories. In moments like these I know I'm tempted to go full denial mode if it's a 'cheat day anyhow'. That shows you're willing to be honest with yourself, and that right there is the key to living better.

Me too! I was very tempted to "forget" a few drinks here and there but logged it all honestly!
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm very intrigued how you got to 3500 cals of alcohol. I take it sugary cocktails? (Always just going to be an estimate obviously)

Glad you had fun and didn't die or get sent to hell for drinking too much.

Went over board on the vodka (won't say how much!) and drank a bottle of Sourz. It's completely loaded with sugar - didn't seem a bad choice at the time for some reason! And we all stayed in so I could calculate pretty much exactly what I had drunk from what was left at the end of the night!

Albeit a major one, it's my first slip up since I started. Not to mention I'm probably actually loosing weight a bit too quickly at the moment anyway so I'll think of it as doing me a favour for now lol
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    From a diet perspective, can't see the problem. You're going to be wrecked, though. :laugh:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Actually, I remember reading Anita Bean's very good book ( http://amzn.to/1uEfUB2 ) and she said you could use the calories from beer to train with but you'd find it difficult to actually train (or words to that effect). :laugh:
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Yeah you'll be fine. I do this a lot of the time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Well, I ended up eating my usual calories in food and then another 3 AND A HALF THOUSAND ON TOP from alcohol. Jeez, I'm so done until Christmas now.

Glad you had a good night, don't worry about it, one day won't kill you. Get back to normal eating/exercising straight away and you might even get away with it.
    I'm fascinated (as a drinker) that folks use words like "puritans" and "haters" to describe those of us who expressed concern about her plan to drink a CRAP TON while not eating.

3,500 calories of alcohol causes concern and we're "haters" and "puritans". fascinating.

signed: happy hour last night, I had 4 glasses of wine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    But I've just weighed myself and I've lost 2lb since the same time yesterday. When should I expect to see it on the scales?
    After the severe dehydration passes.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I'm fascinated (as a drinker) that folks use words like "puritans" and "haters" to describe those of us who expressed concern about her plan to drink a CRAP TON while not eating.

3,500 calories of alcohol causes concern and we're "haters" and "puritans". fascinating.

I believe the difference is each person's personal definition of 'CRAP TON'. Besides, it wasn't 3,500 calories of alcohol, a large proportion of it was sugar. Just sayin'.

Case in point:
    Your 4 glasses of wine (assuming white, solely because that's what I drink) are 9.2 units for 636 calories
    LemonSurprise's bottle of apple Sourz has 10.5 units of alcohol, and according to my calculations 2,575 calories - the majority of the calorie intake.

You really can't judge the alcohol intake on the calorie content.

I'm sure that better decisions have been made, but seriously, we're not at stomach-pump levels here. Chill out.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I ate more than I was supposed AND drank last night. Never again. Actually I'm sure I'll do that again...like, Tuesday.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything is okay for just one day.

When I'm worried about calories, I drink on an empty-ish stomach, so I don't need as much to get tipsy.

This if the effect you're wanting is the tipsy feeling.

Or just drink moderately if you're doing for the love of certain alcohols.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I believe the difference is each person's personal definition of 'CRAP TON'. Besides, it wasn't 3,500 calories of alcohol, a large proportion of it was sugar. Just sayin'.

Case in point:
    Your 4 glasses of wine (assuming white, solely because that's what I drink) are 9.2 units for 636 calories
    LemonSurprise's bottle of apple Sourz has 10.5 units of alcohol, and according to my calculations 2,575 calories - the majority of the calorie intake.

I'm sure that better decisions have been made, but seriously, we're not at stomach-pump levels here. Chill out.
    Again, she stated how much vodka she was PLANNING TO drink. This is what prompted 80% of the comments.
    But yes, this is the land of YOLO and no one really thinks beyond mañana. cheers!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Case in point:

Again, she stated how much vodka she was PLANNING TO drink. This is what prompted 80% of the comments.
    But yes, this is the land of YOLO and no one really thinks beyond mañana. cheers!
    She said she was planning on five shots.

That's two martinis.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Case in point:

That's two martinis.
    at the beginning of the thread she said she was planning to drink a 750ml.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Case in point:

That's two martinis.
    at the beginning of the thread she said she was planning to drink a 750ml.
    No, she didn't:
    It's vodka! If I'm correct, about 300ml totals to over 700 calories, plus the calories in the diet lemonade.

I don't have any issues with replacing it long term, I rarely drink, it's just a friends birthday but I didn't know what to do regarding the calories for that day.