Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I quite believe that only 1% of the population can deadlift 400lbs, however, a lot of people don't lift. I don't believe that only that small amount of (male) lifters who put a significant amount of effort into their deadlift will achieve that weight. I don't know what the % is but I'd bet money it's way more than 1%.

I started 5x5 back last November. I think my first deadlift was 135. I've changed up my program since but for my deadlift I've pretty much been adding 5lbs a week (10 lately) for at least 1 max rep and I'm just got 365lbs this past Saturday. Your interpretation of the stat kind of echos my sentiment. Does it mean total population, males and females? Does it take into account children? Does it mean 1% of lifters? As you implied, all it takes is a little focus and decent gains can be made relatively quickly.

He's exaggerating, 400lbs deadlift is nothing special.
    Anyone who lifted more than 2 years and sticked to proper routine can do 400lbs for reps.

The ability of being able to lift that is highly dependent on size, gender and genetics.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Someone please tell me when I'm going to have the opportunity to use my 500 pound grip strength in the real world. What world are you folks living in where you need to grip 200+ pounds? Is it a Flintstones couch?

I will, when you tell me in the real world where you need visible abs! :wink:

Also, I know you know that some people compete! :tongue:

Ok, I'll give you an example.

Alpine climbing. ;)
    You'll rock climb with your pack/gear, you may be in situations where there's rescue involved, like in crevasse travel.

granted, that's not someone some commoner will go do. ;)
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    I quite believe that only 1% of the population can deadlift 400lbs, however, a lot of people don't lift. I don't believe that only that small amount of (male) lifters who put a significant amount of effort into their deadlift will achieve that weight. I don't know what the % is but I'd bet money it's way more than 1%.

I started 5x5 back last November. I think my first deadlift was 135. I've changed up my program since but for my deadlift I've pretty much been adding 5lbs a week (10 lately) for at least 1 max rep and I'm just got 365lbs this past Saturday. Your interpretation of the stat kind of echos my sentiment. Does it mean total population, males and females? Does it take into account children? Does it mean 1% of lifters? As you implied, all it takes is a little focus and decent gains can be made relatively quickly.

Anyone who lifted more than 2 years and sticked to proper routine can do 400lbs for reps.

That I agree with. Maybe if it was like someone deadlifted 300% of there body weight that be something special.
    1000lbs club is where its at
    Currently off by 75 lbs, hope to improve that by the end of winter, gotta work on that bech press.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Someone please tell me when I'm going to have the opportunity to use my 500 pound grip strength in the real world. What world are you folks living in where you need to grip 200+ pounds? Is it a Flintstones couch?

Alpine climbing. ;)
    You'll rock climb with your pack/gear, you may be in situations where there's rescue involved, like in crevasse travel.

I assume you are referring to grip strength and not visible abs :tongue:

There are a lot of lifts and exercises that I would struggle to find a real world application for (for the majority of the population). Also, I do not think you can deny that grip strength is not useful for a lot of things - at what point does it not become useful - 100lb? 200lb? 300lb?...
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options

Alpine climbing. ;)

Pardon me, but wouldn't strong core suffice without having lower than 13% BF?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

That I agree with. Maybe if it was like someone deadlifted 300% of there body weight that be something special.
    Currently off by 75 lbs, hope to improve that by the end of winter, gotta work on that bech press.

Is that with bench press+squat+deadlifts= this so called 1000lb club.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options

Yes.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I was also struck by one of the comments on the Yahoo article. The comment was that only 1% of the people in the world can deadlift 400 pounds. I would think the number is higher than 1% but maybe I'm wrong.

BTW, I use straps. Deadlifts rip the heck out of my hands.

You are correct Sir, it is wayyyyy higher, heck I even have 2 nice ladies on my Pals list that can do that!!! :smile: Gotta be nice to them :smile: :glasses:
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

ANYONE? Really... I can pretty much 1,000% guarantee I would not be able to. Unless it was 400 lbs of fat... I could probably lift that because I hear that it weighs a lot less than muscle. :indifferent:
  • dbmata
    Options

Alpine climbing. ;)

I assume you are referring to grip strength and not visible abs :tongue:

There are a lot of lifts and exercises that I would struggle to find a real world application for (for the majority of the population). Also, I do not think you can deny that grip strength is not useful for a lot of things - at what point does it not become useful - 100lb? 200lb? 300lb?...

Yeah, just added on to yours to form a Davtrain.

Grip is huge, I know with some pull tests we were doing for crevasse rescue, that in some cases, a dangling 200# climber needed 4x that for pull just to move them closer to the crevasse lip. Still hard to do with two people and the mechanical aid of a pulley system.
    ETA - I neglected to mention that is also while wearing gloves so not as to expose fingers to potential damage. The higher your grip is the closer to a decent grip you can have while wearing gloves.

I admit though, that's crazy fringe.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options

ANYONE? Really... I can pretty much 1,000% guarantee I would not be able to. Unless it was 400 lbs of fat... I could probably lift that because I hear that it weighs a lot less than muscle. :indifferent:
    Haha sorry, I meant mostly males :P
    By the way, 400 lbs of fat and muscle weight the same, you're probably confusing density
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

By the way, 400 lbs of fat and muscle weight the same, you're probably confusing density

Would you call a 200% of body weight deadlift something special?
  • dbmata
    Options

Gah, gotta up my game, I'm actually 230 pounds off that, that's a 1RM, or weight you can do for reps?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

you must be new here.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options

Would you call a 200% of body weight deadlift something special?
    Depends how long you've been working out for, how good is your nutrition, what routine you're using, what supplements you're taking, if you're cutting or bulking, but I've only see a handful of people doing 200% DL in gym, actually I think it was about 2 or 3.

you must be new here.
    Yes I am.
    a local meme I'm guessing?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What does "how good your nutrition is" have to do with how special your lift is???
    either you can pick the thing up or you can't.

and I only asked if you were new because she was clearly being sarcastic.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Hmmm.....:huh: :huh:

Is that a body shame??

I choose to have abs, because I want too....

Now I am upping my calories, so they will most likely go away.....

But for me and my abs....maybe I just like to excel somewhere in my life.....I see plenty of ppl walking around without shirts and no abs.....so that seems easy enough.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    What does "how good your nutrition is" have to do with how special your lift is???
    either you can pick the thing up or you can't.

and I only asked if you were new because she was clearly being sarcastic.
    Carb rich foods will boost your energy....
    I find a bit weaker if I don't eat carb-heavy foods before pre-workout..
    Also I can't detect sarcasm, more so on the internet, because I'm autistic.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yes I am.
    a local meme I'm guessing?

Observe for a while. You'll find out.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I will continue my to use straps...weak or not, cheat or not, I don't really care.

I can get at least one rep at 350, strapless.....
    But I prefer to get as many reps as I can...

Same with chin ups.....I know I can get 1 or 2 reps at least strapless/ with 100 lbs hanging off me.
    But since I want to hit 5 reps, I know my grip will give before my back does....

So I use what is available to me.