No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3
    And that's my entire deadlift workout.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I think you're assuming that everyone cares about grip strength though. If you're training for aesthetics, it's questionable whether you even want to do deadlifts to begin with, much less a bunch of grip work just to improve your ability to do strapless deadlifts. If you're training for power lifting or strong man though, of course grip strength is very important.

:huh: :huh: :noway: :noway:

Srs dude???

Come on man....
    A lot of times you post really good info.....but then do something like that....

I'm assuming you're referring to the comment about deadlifts rather than grip strength, and I thought about not saying that when I originally made that post since anything that questions deadlifts even in the slightest is likely to catch flak, haha. I'm not saying don't do them, not at all, especially when starting out and attempting to build strength. But you can make a rational argument about why they don't necessarily need to be included in a bodybuilding program and many successful bodybuilders (even at the top level) do not incorporate deadlifts as part of their typical routine.

I am saying to the fact that you are saying that since someone is lifting for aesthetics, then heavy lifting is not needed....
    or vice-versa...
    However you wish to view it.

I think it is a stupid comment.

While you may be referring to my pic, as me being aesthetic.....fine whatever.
    I still lift heavy, so my aesthetic is a by-product of how I lift....

While my weight and strength are not as high as I would like them to be, I am not ashamed of what I can do either.....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.
    I've been lifting for nearly 3 years now.

And what are your stats. Height and current weight.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I quite believe that only 1% of the population can deadlift 400lbs, however, a lot of people don't lift. I don't believe that only that small amount of (male) lifters who put a significant amount of effort into their deadlift will achieve that weight. I don't know what the % is but I'd bet money it's way more than 1%.

I started 5x5 back last November. I think my first deadlift was 135. I've changed up my program since but for my deadlift I've pretty much been adding 5lbs a week (10 lately) for at least 1 max rep and I'm just got 365lbs this past Saturday. Your interpretation of the stat kind of echos my sentiment. Does it mean total population, males and females? Does it take into account children? Does it mean 1% of lifters? As you implied, all it takes is a little focus and decent gains can be made relatively quickly.

He's exaggerating, 400lbs deadlift is nothing special.
    Anyone who lifted more than 2 years and sticked to proper routine can do 400lbs for reps.

Cool. So how much do you deadlift?
    I do 4 plates for reps and I'm cutting.

That's about a 155lbs, right?

il_340x270.617781747_f18p.jpg

Don't be silly, there's no way this weighs 155lbs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

Eh, ok. I wouldn't call that "for reps", that just a work set.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    When you say plates you're only counting one side.
    If someone said I can do 1 plate squats that doesn't mean they meant two 22's on each side.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I quite believe that only 1% of the population can deadlift 400lbs, however, a lot of people don't lift. I don't believe that only that small amount of (male) lifters who put a significant amount of effort into their deadlift will achieve that weight. I don't know what the % is but I'd bet money it's way more than 1%.

I started 5x5 back last November. I think my first deadlift was 135. I've changed up my program since but for my deadlift I've pretty much been adding 5lbs a week (10 lately) for at least 1 max rep and I'm just got 365lbs this past Saturday. Your interpretation of the stat kind of echos my sentiment. Does it mean total population, males and females? Does it take into account children? Does it mean 1% of lifters? As you implied, all it takes is a little focus and decent gains can be made relatively quickly.

He's exaggerating, 400lbs deadlift is nothing special.
    Anyone who lifted more than 2 years and sticked to proper routine can do 400lbs for reps.

Cool. So how much do you deadlift?
    I do 4 plates for reps and I'm cutting.

That's about a 155lbs, right?

il_340x270.617781747_f18p.jpg

Don't be silly, there's no way this weighs 155lbs.

You haven't tried my pot roast.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

If there are multiple reps it's reps.....
  • dbmata
    Options
    If someone said I can do 1 plate squats that doesn't mean they meant two 22's on each side.

22kg? What is that, like 9 hectares of weight?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?

No - he means 4 plates. The convention is to count the plates on one side - not both.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options

22kg? What is that, like 9 hectares of weight?
    No I meant 22lbs on each side
    and weights are not measured in hectares.
  • dbmata
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

You can pull it for a work set. That's nice, good for you. I'd be proud of that.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

So what are your stats? Height? Weight? Do you compete?
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

I was 181 lbs @ 5"7
    but now I'm trying to cut to 9% BF from 15 and due to back-muscle strain there are certain workouts I avoid for time being, Deadlifts being one of them.
    Why would I complete I'm one of weakest guys in my gym.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    6'1"
    170 # here.....
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Someone please tell me when I'm going to have the opportunity to use my 500 pound grip strength in the real world. What world are you folks living in where you need to grip 200+ pounds? Is it a Flintstones couch?
    When trying to open the pickle jar that I just closed.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

I was 181 lbs @ 5"7
    but now I'm trying to cut to 9% BF from 15 and due to back-muscle strain there are certain workouts I avoid for time being, Deadlifts being one of them.

Since when did repping out something stop from being 10 reps of something?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think you're assuming that everyone cares about grip strength though. If you're training for aesthetics, it's questionable whether you even want to do deadlifts to begin with, much less a bunch of grip work just to improve your ability to do strapless deadlifts. If you're training for power lifting or strong man though, of course grip strength is very important.

:huh: :huh: :noway: :noway:

Srs dude???

Come on man....
    A lot of times you post really good info.....but then do something like that....

I'm assuming you're referring to the comment about deadlifts rather than grip strength, and I thought about not saying that when I originally made that post since anything that questions deadlifts even in the slightest is likely to catch flak, haha. I'm not saying don't do them, not at all, especially when starting out and attempting to build strength. But you can make a rational argument about why they don't necessarily need to be included in a bodybuilding program and many successful bodybuilders (even at the top level) do not incorporate deadlifts as part of their typical routine.

I am saying to the fact that you are saying that since someone is lifting for aesthetics, then heavy lifting is not needed....
    or vice-versa...
    However you wish to view it.

I think it is a stupid comment.

While you may be referring to my pic, as me being aesthetic.....fine whatever.
    I still lift heavy, so my aesthetic is a by-product of how I lift....

While my weight and strength are not as high as I would like them to be, I am not ashamed of what I can do either.....

You're reading way too much into my comment man. :smile: I'm really not saying don't lift heavy - the bodybuilders I'm referring to lift incredibly heavy by all objective standards. They just don't necessarily include deadlifts specifically as a staple of their weekly routine and that's all I was saying. That doesn't mean they're rowing 25 pound dumb bells instead though - they might be doing super heavy rack pulls, for example, to hit their back while taxing their CNS slightly less than deadlifts would do. And I'm not at all referencing your pic or your strength (nor would I have anything negative to say about either) - I'm simply saying some people choose not to do deadlifts and there are rational reasons why some people might make that decision. I really was just talking in the abstract and not specific to any one person's programming.

I knew I shouldn't have made any comment remotely questioning deadlifts on a forum though, haha. I do them and enjoy them, and I'm hardly anti-deadlift. That said, I don't feel guilty when I use straps for later sets. :tongue:
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

I was 181 lbs @ 5"7

Oh. You're a guy. I thought you were a girl (because your profile). I was just wondering because I know quite a few females that lift who can't pull a 400lb deadlift even after 2+ years of lifting.