Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What does "how good your nutrition is" have to do with how special your lift is???
    either you can pick the thing up or you can't.

and I only asked if you were new because she was clearly being sarcastic.
    Carb rich foods will boost your energy....
    I find a bit weaker if I don't eat carb-heavy foods before pre-workout..
    Also I can't detect sarcasm, more so on the internet, because I'm autistic.

good luck to you my friend- you're going to have a hard time with that here due to the sarcasm and snark.

Meh- you should be able to pick it up.. it's not going to give you an extra 15 pounds by carbing up or not.
    I think that's more mental than anything else.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    What does "how good your nutrition is" have to do with how special your lift is???
    either you can pick the thing up or you can't.

and I only asked if you were new because she was clearly being sarcastic.
    Carb rich foods will boost your energy....
    I find a bit weaker if I don't eat carb-heavy foods before pre-workout..
    Also I can't detect sarcasm, more so on the internet, because I'm autistic.

good luck to you my friend- you're going to have a hard time with that here due to the sarcasm and snark.

Meh- you should be able to pick it up.. it's not going to give you an extra 15 pounds by carbing up or not.
    I think that's more mental than anything else.
    It's not a mental thing.
    If your glycogen stores are empty It's beyond me how you can max your weights..
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I will continue my to use straps...weak or not, cheat or not, I don't really care.

I can get at least one rep at 350, strapless.....
    But I prefer to get as many reps as I can...

Same with chin ups.....I know I can get 1 or 2 reps at least strapless/ with 100 lbs hanging off me.
    But since I want to hit 5 reps, I know my grip will give before my back does....

So I use what is available to me.

Here's the deal, straps are a tool. You use them when they are appropriate.

If you pull 350, go for a second, and you're feeling good but the grip fails. Then strap up, you got the pull, but your grip isn't there yet. Continuing to try the pull without straps first will help train the grip. If you can do something for reps, but don't because your grip fails you, it's silly.

Hmmm, I wonder how well fingerboards could help with grip training for deads.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think you're assuming that everyone cares about grip strength though. If you're training for aesthetics, it's questionable whether you even want to do deadlifts to begin with, much less a bunch of grip work just to improve your ability to do strapless deadlifts. If you're training for power lifting or strong man though, of course grip strength is very important.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    I think you're assuming that everyone cares about grip strength though. If you're training for aesthetics, it's questionable whether you even want to do deadlifts to begin with, much less a bunch of grip work just to improve your ability to do strapless deadlifts. If you're training for power lifting or strong man though, of course grip strength is very important.
    Even if for some reason you decide to train for aesthetics, deadlifts(along with squats) are extremely important if you want to get big, not only that they hit several muscle the hardest but they will also improve your CNS.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

:huh: :huh: :noway: :noway:

Srs dude???

Come on man....
    A lot of times you post really good info.....but then do something like that....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I will continue my to use straps...weak or not, cheat or not, I don't really care.

Same with chin ups.....I know I can get 1 or 2 reps at least strapless/ with 100 lbs hanging off me.
    But since I want to hit 5 reps, I know my grip will give before my back does....

How are you gonna lift your couch? And your horse?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

How are you gonna lift your couch? And your horse?

machines I think. :laugh: :laugh: :tongue: :tongue:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I quite believe that only 1% of the population can deadlift 400lbs, however, a lot of people don't lift. I don't believe that only that small amount of (male) lifters who put a significant amount of effort into their deadlift will achieve that weight. I don't know what the % is but I'd bet money it's way more than 1%.

I started 5x5 back last November. I think my first deadlift was 135. I've changed up my program since but for my deadlift I've pretty much been adding 5lbs a week (10 lately) for at least 1 max rep and I'm just got 365lbs this past Saturday. Your interpretation of the stat kind of echos my sentiment. Does it mean total population, males and females? Does it take into account children? Does it mean 1% of lifters? As you implied, all it takes is a little focus and decent gains can be made relatively quickly.

He's exaggerating, 400lbs deadlift is nothing special.
    Anyone who lifted more than 2 years and sticked to proper routine can do 400lbs for reps.

Cool. So how much do you deadlift?
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    I quite believe that only 1% of the population can deadlift 400lbs, however, a lot of people don't lift. I don't believe that only that small amount of (male) lifters who put a significant amount of effort into their deadlift will achieve that weight. I don't know what the % is but I'd bet money it's way more than 1%.

I started 5x5 back last November. I think my first deadlift was 135. I've changed up my program since but for my deadlift I've pretty much been adding 5lbs a week (10 lately) for at least 1 max rep and I'm just got 365lbs this past Saturday. Your interpretation of the stat kind of echos my sentiment. Does it mean total population, males and females? Does it take into account children? Does it mean 1% of lifters? As you implied, all it takes is a little focus and decent gains can be made relatively quickly.

Anyone who lifted more than 2 years and sticked to proper routine can do 400lbs for reps.

I do 4 plates for reps and I'm cutting.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

"Anyone who lifted more than 2 years and sticked to proper routine can do 400lbs for reps"??? "Anyone", as in, "anyone in the entire world population"? Really? I sincerely doubt this. Overreaching statement is overreaching.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Srs dude???

Come on man....
    A lot of times you post really good info.....but then do something like that....

I'm assuming you're referring to the comment about deadlifts rather than grip strength, and I thought about not saying that when I originally made that post since anything that questions deadlifts even in the slightest is likely to catch flak, haha. I'm not saying don't do them, not at all, especially when starting out and attempting to build strength. But you can make a rational argument about why they don't necessarily need to be included in a bodybuilding program and many successful bodybuilders (even at the top level) do not incorporate deadlifts as part of their typical routine.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options

"Anyone who lifted more than 2 years and sticked to proper routine can do 400lbs for reps"??? "Anyone", as in, "anyone in the entire world population"? Really? I sincerely doubt this. Overreaching statement is overreaching.
    I don't know a single person who used strength-oriented program and couldn't do 400+ in over 2 years.
    in fact I could do 3 plate(315) in little over than year,
  • dbmata
    Options

So if those are 45s, you're doing 225# for reps? How many reps? 50? 60?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

That's about a 155lbs, right?

ETA: Or 225lbs if going by what the person above said. And you've been lifting how long?
  • dbmata
    Options

Srs dude???

Come on man....

I'm assuming you're referring to the comment about deadlifts rather than grip strength, and I thought about not saying that when I originally made that post since anything that questions deadlifts even in the slightest is likely to catch flak, haha. I'm not saying don't do them, not at all, especially when starting out and attempting to build strength. But you can make a rational argument about why they don't necessarily need to be included in a bodybuilding program and many successful bodybuilders (even at the top level) do not incorporate deadlifts as part of their typical routine.

You're right, totally unneccessary to have a compound that trains glutes, hams, and stimulates hormonal responses to min/max strength to effort.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.
    I've been lifting for nearly 3 years now.
  • dbmata
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?