Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite things about this debate is that people seem to believe that as soon as you touch a strap your grip strength stops improving from now till the end of time. when i was coming up, there were no powerlifters in my gym so no one was ashamed to use straps. i used straps on DL, bent rows, and pull ups. never did grip work a day in my life. and guess what, my grip improved just fine. even better, i got stronger and bigger faster because i didn't let my hands hold me back from what was actually important to me.

people act like once you buy a pair of straps that you put them on the second you walk in the gym and start using them on your warm-up sets or something.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    This thread found a new level of funny that I frankly didn't think it had in it!
  • DavPul
    Options
    This thread found a new level of funny that I frankly didn't think it had in it!

IKR? it's as if someone started a dumpster fire inside of a dumpster fire
  • rogerOb1
    Options
    And in other news:
    I would like to be one of the people who trains for 2 years and pull 400 plus- sign me up for that list please.

Well, you're a chick... not sure that poster's comment applies.

But it can definitely be true for males. I didn't start lifting until last week of July 2013. By April 2014, 9-months later, I could do 410 for 1-rep max.

As for the straps argument... when I started deadlifting, I had a problem with grip strength. My ability to gain on my deadlift outpaced my hand strength gains. But I really didn't want to use a strap, because in my opinion, that's using a crutch, so I just kept using my hands, doing as much as I could during my workouts. Eventually my grip strength caught up and now it's no longer an issue.

If straps don't bother you, by all means, use them. But for me personally, I consider every muscle in the lift as being necessary to the lift. Grip strength is a part of the deadlift, and for me, I want all recruited muscles to gain and be at their strongest. Grip strength is a huge benefit to doing a deadlift, IMO. I am not sure why anyone would want to circumvent that gain.

It's cool to have strong hands.
    To me all this anti-stap talk is like saying youre against using partials and negatives as tools to strengthen your bench press strength. Its a means to an end.

If someones grip fails during a deadlift session, but their legs, glutes, back feel good, I can understand them not wanting to stop and do farmers walks or something midway through the DL session, so instead they grab straps and carry on.....makes sense. Grip strength will catch up a bit eventually, regardless.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Your hands hurt is the excuse to use straps.

One of the excuses....

but whatever man....

You are the great and wonderful one here, so props to you for being amazing.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I've actually switched to versa grips recently which I find even more comfortable than standard lifting straps.
    i used straps on DL, bent rows, and pull ups. never did grip work a day in my life. and guess what, my grip improved just fine. even better, i got stronger and bigger faster because i didn't let my hands hold me back from what was actually important to me.

That's nice, but I hope you realize that none of those lifts counted ... because straps. :wink:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    one of my favorite things about this debate is that people seem to believe that as soon as you touch a strap your grip strength stops improving from now till the end of time. when i was coming up, there were no powerlifters in my gym so no one was ashamed to use straps. i used straps on DL, bent rows, and pull ups. never did grip work a day in my life. and guess what, my grip improved just fine. even better, i got stronger and bigger faster because i didn't let my hands hold me back from what was actually important to me.

people act like once you buy a pair of straps that you put them on the second you walk in the gym and start using them on your warm-up sets or something.

My thoughts as well
  • MityMax96
    Options

Your hands hurt is the excuse to use straps.

Just noticed too....you are 26??
  • rogerOb1
    Options

IKR? it's as if someone started a dumpster fire inside of a dumpster fire
    ROFL
    I came for the misunderstanding over DLs in strength vs aesthetics training, but I stay for the transgender ninja squirrel.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I think you're assuming that everyone cares about grip strength though. If you're training for aesthetics, it's questionable whether you even want to do deadlifts to begin with, much less a bunch of grip work just to improve your ability to do strapless deadlifts. If you're training for power lifting or strong man though, of course grip strength is very important.

:huh: :huh: :noway: :noway:

Srs dude???

Come on man....
    A lot of times you post really good info.....but then do something like that....

I'm assuming you're referring to the comment about deadlifts rather than grip strength, and I thought about not saying that when I originally made that post since anything that questions deadlifts even in the slightest is likely to catch flak, haha. I'm not saying don't do them, not at all, especially when starting out and attempting to build strength. But you can make a rational argument about why they don't necessarily need to be included in a bodybuilding program and many successful bodybuilders (even at the top level) do not incorporate deadlifts as part of their typical routine.

I am saying to the fact that you are saying that since someone is lifting for aesthetics, then heavy lifting is not needed....
    or vice-versa...
    However you wish to view it.

I think it is a stupid comment.

While you may be referring to my pic, as me being aesthetic.....fine whatever.
    I still lift heavy, so my aesthetic is a by-product of how I lift....

While my weight and strength are not as high as I would like them to be, I am not ashamed of what I can do either.....

i commend parsc for fighting the power.

I completely agree with you on there being people who are more interested in training other area's hard (be that for asthetics or they desire more strength in whatever muslce group), whom really have no need or desire for the functionality of grip strength. for them the straps make a lot of sense and the idea of 'cheating' or not really has zero bearing on thier training.

i also think its interesting how the mere suggestion that one... at least could get away with (lol) not doing deadlifts was interpreted as suggestion to abandon heavy lifting. apparently thats how closely the two are intertwinded in MFP culture.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    And in other news:
    I would like to be one of the people who trains for 2 years and pull 400 plus- sign me up for that list please.

Well, you're a chick... not sure that poster's comment applies.
    then perhaps the poster shouldn't make blanket statements about ALL lifters- esp consider there are a fair number of women who lift here.

regardless- I'll be happy to hit 3 plates- I've been chasing it all summer. 305 now. I'll get 3 plates then the goal will be 3 plates plus- all the way up to 4 plates. It can be done. I know it.

But it can definitely be true for males. I didn't start lifting until last week of July 2013. By April 2014, 9-months later, I could do 410 for 1-rep max.

As for the straps argument... when I started deadlifting, I had a problem with grip strength. My ability to gain on my deadlift outpaced my hand strength gains. But I really didn't want to use a strap, because in my opinion, that's using a crutch, so I just kept using my hands, doing as much as I could during my workouts. Eventually my grip strength caught up and now it's no longer an issue.

If straps don't bother you, by all means, use them. But for me personally, I consider every muscle in the lift as being necessary to the lift. Grip strength is a part of the deadlift, and for me, I want all recruited muscles to gain and be at their strongest. Grip strength is a huge benefit to doing a deadlift, IMO. I am not sure why anyone would want to circumvent that gain.

It's cool to have strong hands.

shower time just isn't the same with delicate weak hands!

I waffle back and forth- I've felt like they were cheating for a long time (Same with a belt) but I kind of got over myself with more help from professionals and having a better frame about what I was trying accomplish long term.

Now I belt up for my last heavy sets- and if I'm losing grip- I pull out the straps. No biggie. I prefer to NOT use them and like being able to do the work without it- but I'm not trying to cut my lift short because the weakest part of the lift is quitting on me.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    apparently thats how closely the two are intertwinded in MFP culture.

What's that got to do with anything????

Can't it just be my own personal view?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I think you're assuming that everyone cares about grip strength though. If you're training for aesthetics, it's questionable whether you even want to do deadlifts to begin with, much less a bunch of grip work just to improve your ability to do strapless deadlifts. If you're training for power lifting or strong man though, of course grip strength is very important.

Srs dude???

Come on man....
    A lot of times you post really good info.....but then do something like that....

I'm assuming you're referring to the comment about deadlifts rather than grip strength, and I thought about not saying that when I originally made that post since anything that questions deadlifts even in the slightest is likely to catch flak, haha. I'm not saying don't do them, not at all, especially when starting out and attempting to build strength. But you can make a rational argument about why they don't necessarily need to be included in a bodybuilding program and many successful bodybuilders (even at the top level) do not incorporate deadlifts as part of their typical routine.

I am saying to the fact that you are saying that since someone is lifting for aesthetics, then heavy lifting is not needed....
    or vice-versa...

While my weight and strength are not as high as I would like them to be, I am not ashamed of what I can do either.....

y'all know i come here to start fires as much as anybody, but i don't think that was his meaning at all. i think he was just saying that for aesthetics a person doesn't have to lift nearly as heavy and can stick with a volume based hypertrophy program. i don't think he was calling you weak or anything of the sort.

please point out where the man says anything about heavy lifting, expecially NOT doing it
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

it could be but we all know better lol
  • MityMax96
    Options

Right of course we do....
    Cause I just started lifting when I joined MFP last year.....
  • DavPul
    Options

Right of course we do....
    Cause I just started lifting when I joined MFP last year.....

TWINSIES!
  • DavPul
    Options

Srs dude???

Come on man....

or vice-versa...

y'all know i come here to start fires as much as anybody, but i don't think that was his meaning at all. i think he was just saying that for aesthetics a person doesn't have to lift nearly as heavy and can stick with a volume based hypertrophy program. i don't think he was calling you weak or anything of the sort.

please point out where the man says anything about heavy lifting, expecially NOT doing it

wha?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

this is somewhat unrelated, and might draw its own heat, but i used to do hanging leg raises gripping the bar. always refused to get the arm slings because i wanted the grip work out. when i finally gave in and bought the straps i had quite a leap forward in progress. didn't realize that grip strength was even holding me back
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I will, when you tell me in the real world where you need visible abs! :wink:

Hmmm.....:huh: :huh:

Is that a body shame??

I choose to have abs, because I want too....

Now I am upping my calories, so they will most likely go away.....

But for me and my abs....maybe I just like to excel somewhere in my life.....I see plenty of ppl walking around without shirts and no abs.....so that seems easy enough.

huh? Can you reread in context please.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Srs dude???

Come on man....

or vice-versa...

wha?

perhaps i'm missing an inside joke or something, but i never heard the man say anything about weight.

he said that deadlifts might not be necessary. deadlifts is not all there is to 'heavy lifting', nor does it in and of itself constitute heavy lifting. if you just deadlift the bar, it probably doesn't count as heavy lifting.