Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I think you're assuming that everyone cares about grip strength though. If you're training for aesthetics, it's questionable whether you even want to do deadlifts to begin with, much less a bunch of grip work just to improve your ability to do strapless deadlifts. If you're training for power lifting or strong man though, of course grip strength is very important.

:huh: :huh: :noway: :noway:

Srs dude???

Come on man....
    A lot of times you post really good info.....but then do something like that....

I'm assuming you're referring to the comment about deadlifts rather than grip strength, and I thought about not saying that when I originally made that post since anything that questions deadlifts even in the slightest is likely to catch flak, haha. I'm not saying don't do them, not at all, especially when starting out and attempting to build strength. But you can make a rational argument about why they don't necessarily need to be included in a bodybuilding program and many successful bodybuilders (even at the top level) do not incorporate deadlifts as part of their typical routine.

I am saying to the fact that you are saying that since someone is lifting for aesthetics, then heavy lifting is not needed....
    or vice-versa...
    However you wish to view it.

I think it is a stupid comment.

While you may be referring to my pic, as me being aesthetic.....fine whatever.
    I still lift heavy, so my aesthetic is a by-product of how I lift....

While my weight and strength are not as high as I would like them to be, I am not ashamed of what I can do either.....

You're reading way too much into my comment man. :smile: I'm really not saying don't lift heavy - the bodybuilders I'm referring to lift incredibly heavy by all objective standards. They just don't necessarily include deadlifts specifically as a staple of their weekly routine and that's all I was saying. That doesn't mean they're rowing 25 pound dumb bells instead though - they might be doing super heavy rack pulls, for example, to hit their back while taxing their CNS slightly less than deadlifts would do. And I'm not at all referencing your pic or your strength (nor would I have anything negative to say about either) - I'm simply saying some people choose not to do deadlifts and there are rational reasons why some people might make that decision. I really was just talking in the abstract and not specific to any one person's programming.

I knew I shouldn't have made any comment remotely questioning deadlifts on a forum though, haha. I do them and enjoy them, and I'm hardly anti-deadlift. That said, I don't feel guilty when I use straps for later sets. :tongue:

make the comment.....
    that is fine

And I will make my comment and say what you initially said was stupid.....that's all.

Others can dissect and draw their own conclusions...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3
    And that's my entire deadlift workout.

Eh, ok. I wouldn't call that "for reps", that just a work set.
    If there are multiple reps it's reps.....

So what are your stats? Height? Weight? Do you compete?
    I was 181 lbs @ 5"7
    but now I'm trying to cut to 9% BF from 15 and due to back-muscle strain there are certain workouts I avoid for time being, Deadlifts being one of them.
    Why would I complete I'm one of weakest guys in my gym.

Oh. You're a guy. I thought you were a girl (because your profile). I was just wondering because I know quite a few females that lift who can't pull a 400lb deadlift even after 2+ years of lifting.

I haven't seeing a girl attempt 405. I rarely see guys attempting 405 deadlifts.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

I was 181 lbs @ 5"7
    but now I'm trying to cut to 9% BF from 15 and due to back-muscle strain there are certain workouts I avoid for time being, Deadlifts being one of them.

Oh. You're a guy. I thought you were a girl (because your profile). I was just wondering because I know quite a few females that lift who can't pull a 400lb deadlift even after 2+ years of lifting.
    Yes I'm a guy, I forgot to change genders when I was signing up, any way to change it now?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

I was 181 lbs @ 5"7

I haven't seeing a girl attempt 405. I rarely see guys attempting 405 deadlifts.

The closest girl I know of is Sarauk2sf. She had a 325lb deadlift at a competition last year but I think she's increased that a bit since then.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

I was 181 lbs @ 5"7

Since when did repping out something stop from being 10 reps of something?
    What? I never do 10 reps, most I go is heaviest 5 rep. I do strength training, not hypertrophy
    You're telling me my 3x5 squats is not considered as "squatting for reps'?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

I was 181 lbs @ 5"7

Yes I'm a guy, I forgot to change genders when I was signing up, any way to change it now?

You should be able to in your settings.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Hugh JACKEDman
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

I was 181 lbs @ 5"7

2d4.png
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No, 4 plates = 405.

Oh, you mean 8 plates.

How many reps?
    1x3

I was 181 lbs @ 5"7

That seems like a very drastic thing to do just to align your gender with what's in your profile.

Oh, wait...

...you mean you want to change your *MFP profile*. Okay, yeah. That's a far more reasonable approach to resolving this.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ninja squirrel has deactivated. That didn't last long.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Ninja squirrel has deactivated. That didn't last long.

Prolly gonna do a new account so he can select male instead of female
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think you're assuming that everyone cares about grip strength though. If you're training for aesthetics, it's questionable whether you even want to do deadlifts to begin with, much less a bunch of grip work just to improve your ability to do strapless deadlifts. If you're training for power lifting or strong man though, of course grip strength is very important.

Srs dude???

Come on man....
    A lot of times you post really good info.....but then do something like that....

I'm assuming you're referring to the comment about deadlifts rather than grip strength, and I thought about not saying that when I originally made that post since anything that questions deadlifts even in the slightest is likely to catch flak, haha. I'm not saying don't do them, not at all, especially when starting out and attempting to build strength. But you can make a rational argument about why they don't necessarily need to be included in a bodybuilding program and many successful bodybuilders (even at the top level) do not incorporate deadlifts as part of their typical routine.

I am saying to the fact that you are saying that since someone is lifting for aesthetics, then heavy lifting is not needed....
    or vice-versa...

While my weight and strength are not as high as I would like them to be, I am not ashamed of what I can do either.....

y'all know i come here to start fires as much as anybody, but i don't think that was his meaning at all. i think he was just saying that for aesthetics a person doesn't have to lift nearly as heavy and can stick with a volume based hypertrophy program. i don't think he was calling you weak or anything of the sort.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What does "how good your nutrition is" have to do with how special your lift is???
    either you can pick the thing up or you can't.

and I only asked if you were new because she was clearly being sarcastic.
    Carb rich foods will boost your energy....
    I find a bit weaker if I don't eat carb-heavy foods before pre-workout..
    Also I can't detect sarcasm, more so on the internet, because I'm autistic.

good luck to you my friend- you're going to have a hard time with that here due to the sarcasm and snark.

Meh- you should be able to pick it up.. it's not going to give you an extra 15 pounds by carbing up or not.
    I think that's more mental than anything else.
    It's not a mental thing.
    If your glycogen stores are empty It's beyond me how you can max your weights..
    And you're gone- but I'm answering anyway:
    if you're maxing out sure- but just because I didn't eat isn't going to stop me from going to hammer my workout to the best of my abilities. would it have been better with some carbs? sure- but it rarely puts me so under that I think I had a crappy work out.

Nut up and go lift.

And in other news:
    I would like to be one of the people who trains for 2 years and pull 400 plus- sign me up for that list please.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    What does "how good your nutrition is" have to do with how special your lift is???
    either you can pick the thing up or you can't.

and I only asked if you were new because she was clearly being sarcastic.
    Carb rich foods will boost your energy....
    I find a bit weaker if I don't eat carb-heavy foods before pre-workout..
    Also I can't detect sarcasm, more so on the internet, because I'm autistic.

good luck to you my friend- you're going to have a hard time with that here due to the sarcasm and snark.

Meh- you should be able to pick it up.. it's not going to give you an extra 15 pounds by carbing up or not.
    I think that's more mental than anything else.
    It's not a mental thing.
    If your glycogen stores are empty It's beyond me how you can max your weights..
    And you're gone- but I'm answering anyway:
    if you're maxing out sure- but just because I didn't eat isn't going to stop me from going to hammer my workout to the best of my abilities. would it have been better with some carbs? sure- but it rarely puts me so under that I think I had a crappy work out.

Nut up and go lift.

And in other news:
    I would like to be one of the people who trains for 2 years and pull 400 plus- sign me up for that list please.
    Gone where?
    2 years and pull 400 plus-
    SS+GOMAD
    You won't lift 400 because you're a woman, but you'll lift much heavier.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Srs dude???

Come on man....

or vice-versa...

y'all know i come here to start fires as much as anybody, but i don't think that was his meaning at all. i think he was just saying that for aesthetics a person doesn't have to lift nearly as heavy and can stick with a volume based hypertrophy program. i don't think he was calling you weak or anything of the sort.

We talked via messages. :wink:

All good....
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    And in other news:

Well, you're a chick... not sure that poster's comment applies.

But it can definitely be true for males. I didn't start lifting until last week of July 2013. By April 2014, 9-months later, I could do 410 for 1-rep max.

As for the straps argument... when I started deadlifting, I had a problem with grip strength. My ability to gain on my deadlift outpaced my hand strength gains. But I really didn't want to use a strap, because in my opinion, that's using a crutch, so I just kept using my hands, doing as much as I could during my workouts. Eventually my grip strength caught up and now it's no longer an issue.

If straps don't bother you, by all means, use them. But for me personally, I consider every muscle in the lift as being necessary to the lift. Grip strength is a part of the deadlift, and for me, I want all recruited muscles to gain and be at their strongest. Grip strength is a huge benefit to doing a deadlift, IMO. I am not sure why anyone would want to circumvent that gain.

It's cool to have strong hands.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    And in other news:

If I can hit 400# soon, then that will be about a years time for me.....
    And with straps. :laugh: :laugh:
  • MityMax96
    Options

As for the straps argument... when I started deadlifting, I had a problem with grip strength. My ability to gain on my deadlift outpaced my hand strength gains. But I really didn't want to use a strap, because in my opinion, that's using a crutch, so I just kept using my hands, doing as much as I could during my workouts. Eventually my grip strength caught up and now it's no longer an issue.

If straps don't bother you, by all means, use them. But for me personally, I consider every muscle in the lift as being necessary to the lift. Grip strength is a part of the deadlift, and for me, I want all recruited muscles to gain and be at their strongest. Grip strength is a huge benefit to doing a deadlift, IMO. I am not sure why anyone would want to circumvent that gain.

I get that and understand where you are coming from.....

But for me I don't see it as a crutch...
    I mean even though I use straps, I still can't walk into a gym right now and DL 600#

Ppl that takes roids, don't just sit on their couch and get big...
    They still have to go to the gym and move heavy stuff......

For now, the straps allow me to lift without killing my joints even more than I do.....cause I have awful joints.....
    So when I go heavy on anything.....chest, back, legs....
    I feel it.

Not to mention holding heavy weight in my hands, kills my hands/fingers around the knuckles, something awful....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

You should be able to in your settings.

A pocket knife and sewing needle might work too.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I get that and understand where you are coming from.....

But for me I don't see it as a crutch...
    I mean even though I use straps, I still can't walk into a gym right now and DL 600#

Ppl that takes roids, don't just sit on their couch and get big...
    They still have to go to the gym and move heavy stuff......

For now, the straps allow me to lift without killing my joints even more than I do.....cause I have awful joints.....
    So when I go heavy on anything.....chest, back, legs....
    I feel it.

Not to mention holding heavy weight in my hands, kills my hands/fingers around the knuckles, something awful....

Your hands hurt is the excuse to use straps.