Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    It's just you, natties can cut to 7% BF but they won't be able to maintian.

it was just a semantic argument, read your post again and tell me if it really makes sense.

In my experience shredded means very cut, i.e. low body fat, maybe it means something different to you
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    Thanks for the info, "Natty" now makes sense.
    I don't understand why straps would be an issue but I'm sure I'll learn more as I progress, like what "bench shirts" are. LoL

Some people think that you shouldn't use straps because you should have a strong enough grip instead. I don't know about anyone else but I don't use the deadlift to train my grip, and why should I let my grip strength dictate how much I can deadlift?

I personally prefer to not use them and improve my grip. Already noticing mega benefits in real life applications. I was helping a buddy move last weekend and I've noticed improvement in my grip strength and my hands don't hurt as much carrying things.

Man I can't lift that couch because my straps don't fit. That bring up another point. Why deadlift into the heavy weights if your grip won't help you in the real world. I know my reason I want to be stronger than my friend. I got a ways to go on deadlift since his personal record in 500 at weigh in 180.
    I don't use grips but this post reminded me of this
    http://imgur.com/gH6nsQB
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Someone please tell me when I'm going to have the opportunity to use my 500 pound grip strength in the real world. What world are you folks living in where you need to grip 200+ pounds? Is it a Flintstones couch?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why straps would be an issue but I'm sure I'll learn more as I progress, like what "bench shirts" are. LoL

Some people think that you shouldn't use straps because you should have a strong enough grip instead. I don't know about anyone else but I don't use the deadlift to train my grip, and why should I let my grip strength dictate how much I can deadlift?

I personally prefer to not use them and improve my grip. Already noticing mega benefits in real life applications. I was helping a buddy move last weekend and I've noticed improvement in my grip strength and my hands don't hurt as much carrying things.

Man I can't lift that couch because my straps don't fit. That bring up another point. Why deadlift into the heavy weights if your grip won't help you in the real world. I know my reason I want to be stronger than my friend. I got a ways to go on deadlift since his personal record in 500 at weigh in 180.
    gH6nsQB

FTFY

ETA: Or not...
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Which makes me a little sad- they wear those stupid board shorts which is silly to me- because well- legs. and *kitten*.

And I know most people don't want to be THAT big- but the shorts are just a cop out.

not sure what you mean here. i assume they wear the shorts as an alternative to the tiny speedo? what does that have to do with size, unless where talking about the contents of the banana hamock here
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

http://imgur.com/gH6nsQB

That link was the best lol, thanks for sharing
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Someone please tell me when I'm going to have the opportunity to use my 500 pound grip strength in the real world. What world are you folks living in where you need to grip 200+ pounds? Is it a Flintstones couch?

Did you comprehend the fact that I said I want to be stronger than my friend.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I will, when you tell me in the real world where you need visible abs! :wink:

Also, I know you know that some people compete! :tongue:
  • DarylLouis
    DarylLouis Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can deadlift 400lbs or 200kg ... That guy is damn lean though! Good effort! Not really too difficult when you have the finest gear on the market at pharma grade, somebody to cook and wash up all of your meals for you and all day to train with zero stress in your life
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Man I can't lift that couch because my straps don't fit. That bring up another point. Why deadlift into the heavy weights if your grip won't help you in the real world.

Is your friend a professional couch lifter? Am I to comprehend that you aspire to be a better couch lifter than him?

Hugh Jackman doesn't compete.

Competitions aren't the real world. Well, at least as far as couches are concerned.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That's fine as long as you don't claim that you can lift x amount based on your strapped pull. Because realistically you can't.

exactly. If you can't grip the weight then you cannot deadlift it and call it a personal record. I do not use straps to deadlift. Do I call it cheating well I would say lets do deadlift without straps and see where your true deadlift is at. LOL

Of course you can call it a personal record. It will not be comparable to one without straps - but its the same as having 2 PRs for squats - one with wraps and one without, or one with a bench shirt and one without. How can it be cheating if someone is not trying to make out it is strapless?
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less about how much he deadlifts, whether or not straps/vests are cheating, or "bro science".
    What I DO care about is that when I open up a discussion about Hugh Jackman, I want to see lots of pictures of Hugh Jackman. This thread is a miserable failure..

tumblr_m5zqkcP7Ck1rooebp.gif

This^^
    k02eqw.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

well my horse weighs about 800 pounds.

And I think curb weight of my motorcycle is about 450.

So to me it's important- but I'm guessing those things aren't normal enough ? LOL

I'd also like to point out I don't pick up couches. I hire people to do that *kitten* for me.
    not sure what you mean here. i assume they wear the shorts as an alternative to the tiny speedo? what does that have to do with size, unless where talking about the contents of the banana hamock here

shorts- they are long- knee length- and like standards board shorts- so not form fitting... so you see calve definition- and everything waist up.

Secondly- that's how the categories are arranged. I don't know that the men have the same categories-but for women it goes up in terms of definition/size
    You can get dinged for being TOO big/too hard in the bikini/figure/fitness comps- that's about definition- and SOME size- I'm bigger than most of those women. Physique- you are pretty solid in size AND definition- but you still aren't full blown bodybuilding which is very much about size.
    Bikini-
    figure/fitness
    physique
    bodybuilding
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Man I can't lift that couch because my straps don't fit. That bring up another point. Why deadlift into the heavy weights if your grip won't help you in the real world.

Is your friend a professional couch lifter? Am I to comprehend that you aspire to be a better couch lifter than him?

Hugh Jackman doesn't compete.

Competitions aren't the real world. Well, at least as far as couches are concerned.

I think I notice in the deadlift photo of him that he was also not using straps.
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    -
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    I quite believe that only 1% of the population can deadlift 400lbs, however, a lot of people don't lift. I don't believe that only that small amount of (male) lifters who put a significant amount of effort into their deadlift will achieve that weight. I don't know what the % is but I'd bet money it's way more than 1%.

I started 5x5 back last November. I think my first deadlift was 135. I've changed up my program since but for my deadlift I've pretty much been adding 5lbs a week (10 lately) for at least 1 max rep and I'm just got 365lbs this past Saturday. Your interpretation of the stat kind of echos my sentiment. Does it mean total population, males and females? Does it take into account children? Does it mean 1% of lifters? As you implied, all it takes is a little focus and decent gains can be made relatively quickly.

He's exaggerating, 400lbs deadlift is nothing special.
    Anyone who lifted more than 2 years and sticked to proper routine can do 400lbs for reps.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I quite believe that only 1% of the population can deadlift 400lbs, however, a lot of people don't lift. I don't believe that only that small amount of (male) lifters who put a significant amount of effort into their deadlift will achieve that weight. I don't know what the % is but I'd bet money it's way more than 1%.

I started 5x5 back last November. I think my first deadlift was 135. I've changed up my program since but for my deadlift I've pretty much been adding 5lbs a week (10 lately) for at least 1 max rep and I'm just got 365lbs this past Saturday. Your interpretation of the stat kind of echos my sentiment. Does it mean total population, males and females? Does it take into account children? Does it mean 1% of lifters? As you implied, all it takes is a little focus and decent gains can be made relatively quickly.

He's exaggerating, 400lbs deadlift is nothing special.
    Anyone who lifted more than 2 years and sticked to proper routine can do 400lbs for reps.

That I agree with. Maybe if it was like someone deadlifted 300% of there body weight that be something special.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

like I said if someone is using straps trys to tell me I am this much stronger than youin deadlifts I would say ok deadlift competition with no straps. Lets see that grip strength and laugh when that weight falls out of those hands.

Very well....

I disagree, and I ain't competing....

I will stick with my straps....

And further note, I ain't saying I am stronger than you....
    I am saying where I am as far as the weight I use.

I said if someone claims to be stronger than me. I get a lot of folks who think there stronger than me so if I know them well enough I throw do some bets.

Dude, y u gotta make it about u?
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Zoe...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Just doing my job, Sara!!! :wink: :wink:
    This thread got much better!!! THANKS!

+1 in for Hugh Jackman :heart: :heart: :heart: