• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Ok, quick update.
    Deadlifts today
    315# x 5 reps, no straps.
    350# x 4 w/ straps
    330# x 5 w/ straps

Just curious, what grip are you using for each?

315 was over/over
    350 and 330 over/under

Try that 330 with a hook grip (*kitten* grip) and give it a pull.

How is that one done??
    Have not seen that grip.
    Is it wear you wrap the thumb inside the fingers?

Like when you do a snatch: you basically wrap your fingers around the bar and your thumb.

that does not sound comfortable lol
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Barry Ross uses deadlifting 3x week with his sprinters....

Yup - I wasn't making a blanket statement - there will always be some folks who buck trends - but not everyone uses his methods. He keeps the DLs heavy & the volumes very low I think.

Yep. 3x3 with 85-90% of 1RM (Plus plyo work). No warm up sets. 3x week... Extremely low volume. Basically follows Pavel and Dan John's rule of ten.

No warm up sets? Sounds interesting. Sounds risky @ 85-90%. How does it work (Im assuming they do something to prep for it)?

I don't count warm up sets my self....
    but for today I did 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 225 x 6
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Curious if you guys use straps because you don't have access to chalk?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Ok, quick update.
    Deadlifts today
    315# x 5 reps, no straps.
    350# x 4 w/ straps
    330# x 5 w/ straps

Just curious, what grip are you using for each?

315 was over/over
    350 and 330 over/under

Try that 330 with a hook grip (*kitten* grip) and give it a pull.

How is that one done??
    Have not seen that grip.
    Is it wear you wrap the thumb inside the fingers?

Like when you do a snatch: you basically wrap your fingers around the bar and your thumb.

It hurts but it works.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

If its anything like the chart that was was going around before, their definition of elite was "strong enough to compete", and if the other stat that was on this thread is anything to go by, that's possibly in the top 1% of the planet strength-wise.

It is similar to those you find on http://www.strstd.com/ - for women is states that 200% body weight is 'elite'.

I suppose it really does depend on your definition of what you think elite is. I was able to pull 2.2 x BW (in a RAW meet) after about 18 months of lifting (I pulled 2 x BW after a year IIRC) - while a strong lift for me and I have good genetics for it (plus I train a lot), it honestly does not seem right to call it Elite to me tbh. To me "Elite" is comparing to others in the sport.

You can be any strength to compete btw.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Barry Ross uses deadlifting 3x week with his sprinters....

Yup - I wasn't making a blanket statement - there will always be some folks who buck trends - but not everyone uses his methods. He keeps the DLs heavy & the volumes very low I think.

Yep. 3x3 with 85-90% of 1RM (Plus plyo work). No warm up sets. 3x week... Extremely low volume. Basically follows Pavel and Dan John's rule of ten.

No warm up sets? Sounds interesting. Sounds risky @ 85-90%. How does it work (Im assuming they do something to prep for it)?

Think he just advocates some dynamic stuff first to get the blood moving, then into the DLing.
  • MityMax96
    Options

That is part of the problem yes.
    I wish they had chalk at my gym....and I can't remember to buy some and bring it.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

If its anything like the chart that was was going around before, their definition of elite was "strong enough to compete", and if the other stat that was on this thread is anything to go by, that's possibly in the top 1% of the planet strength-wise.

It is similar to those you find on http://www.strstd.com/ - for women is states that 200% body weight is 'elite'.

I suppose it really does depend on your definition of what you think elite is. I was able to pull 2.2 x BW (in a RAW meet) after about 18 months of lifting (I pulled 2 x BW after a year IIRC) - while a strong lift for me and I have good genetics for it (plus I train a lot), it honestly does not seem right to call it Elite to me tbh. To me "Elite" is comparing to others in the sport.

What would you call an elite deadlift for women and men?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

I wish they had chalk at my gym....and I can't remember to buy some and bring it.
    We can't use it in my facility (Wellness center) because a lot of the members are seniors dealing with breathing problems.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MityMax96
    Options

We can't use it in my facility (Wellness center) because a lot of the members are seniors dealing with breathing problems.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I can see that being a problem
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

It hurts but it works.

It sucks, but it should get you to 330 without straps.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Isn't there a liquid "chalk" product that avoids this issue? (I don't actually know as my basement gym...membership: 1...allows chalk.)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I can see that being a problem
    How about liquid chalk?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

It hurts but it works.

It sucks, but it should get you to 330 without straps.

I can two over hand that w/o straps. Now I could not imagine doing a 500 hook grip deadlift.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Didn't you win like 2-3 state medals in that meet? How is that not elite?

Also, those 1RM calculators and their categorized novice/untrained/advanced/blahblahblah are to me, relative to the population in general. For me, it says an elite deadlift is close to 600lbs. I would agree with a 600lb deadlift being elite. But in relative terms to the powerlifting community, that's not elite. 800lbs+ is elite. So it all depends on how you look at it, I guess.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

That's a fair enough distinction for "elite" as youre involved/interested in the competition, but the people compiling those kind of stats are usually interested in the lifting population as a whole, when drawing their lines, so they have a different perspective.

Lol, yes I realize technically you can "compete" at any strength, but you know what I mean....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes. But there is not that much depth in women's powerlifting, especially at other than National or International levels. Maybe it's just me, but I kind of feel uncomfortable being classified as elite, especially when there are some women that can lift a lot more than me. Granted, that is on a National stage and in an open age group - but its still feels 'not right' based on where I am in my training. Maybe its that British thing coming out...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Also, those 1RM calculators and their categorized novice/untrained/advanced/blahblahblah are to me, relative to the population in general. For me, it says an elite deadlift is close to 600lbs. I would agree with a 600lb deadlift being elite. But in relative terms to the powerlifting community, that's not elite. 800lbs+ is elite. So it all depends on how you look at it, I guess.

I feel like you and I have had this conversation about benching and women's numbers like 2-3 months ago LOL

I still owe you a picture of my super man underwear with my bench... but it hasn't' happened yet. Soon. I know it. SOON!!!
    Yes. But there is not that much depth in women's powerlifting, especially at other than National or International levels. Maybe it's just me, but I kind of feel uncomfortable being classified as elite, especially when there are some women that can lift a lot more than me. Granted, that is on a National stage and in an open age group - but its still feels 'not right' based on where I am in my training. Maybe its that British thing coming out...

nope- this was exactly the bench conversation we had about elite or not. I don't feel like something special- but my bench puts me well over most regional levels.... I don't feel elite- I barely feel like I'd rank on a platform.

It's hard to really feel like you rank "high" on someone's scale when you know there is more untapped potential.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That's a fair enough distinction for elite"" as youre involved/interested in the competition, but the people compiling those kind of stats are usually interested in the lifting population as a whole, when drawing their lines, so they have a different perspective.

Lol, yes I realize technically you can "compete" at any strength, but you know what I mean....

I am not sure if you have ever competed, but to be honest, especially at the local level, people go to have fun - it is a hugely supportive sport and people are encouraged and get a good response to lifts even if they are not very much compared to some others. I am sure that there are some people that are, and different federations, locations and levels are different, but at the local level, there is no such thing as 'strong enough to compete' even in principle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Isn't there a liquid "chalk" product that avoids this issue? (I don't actually know as my basement gym...membership: 1...allows chalk.)

Liquid chalk is really more of an advantage re grip slip that grip strength. It makes your hands 'tacky'. It is useful for gyms who do not allow chalk - but if you can use chalk, I would take that over the liquid stuff anyday - my hands get less beat up with chalk than the liquid stuff.