Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Improve your cns? Lol no. They'll wreck your cns and impair growth unless you have a very well thought out routine

that could easily be said about ANY poorly laid out heavy/intense lifting program.

Sometimes my program has me squat 6 times a week. still doing okay.

Squats have about zero relevance. Deadlifts are much more cns taxing. Do any successful powerlifters, let alone bodybuilders, make good progress Deadlifting twice a week? Nevet heard of a single one who preferred that over once evey week or better yet, every 2weeks. 6x weekly and you'll be removing weight every workout. Couple that with a volume bodybuilding split and deadlifts every week or more are just plain stupid if mass is the goal.

But sure, give it a shot. /shrug

Ill take experience over misinterpreted research any day

Actually, there are quite a few who dead more than once a week.

Edited to fix quotes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think you're assuming that everyone cares about grip strength though. If you're training for aesthetics, it's questionable whether you even want to do deadlifts to begin with, much less a bunch of grip work just to improve your ability to do strapless deadlifts. If you're training for power lifting or strong man though, of course grip strength is very important.
    Even if for some reason you decide to train for aesthetics, deadlifts(along with squats) are extremely important if you want to get big, not only that they hit several muscle the hardest but they will also improve your CNS.

Improve your cns? Lol no. They'll wreck your cns and impair growth unless you have a very well thought out routine

deadlifts wreck your cns and impair growth?

Ok, based on what peer reviewed research?

What research shows adding deads to a bodybuilding routine improves cns recovery and increases growth? None. And mosy bodybuilders will tell you based on experience that it can often hurt.

Good luck developong a bodybuilding routine that relies solely on peer-reviewed research. There isnt much of it in this world

Shhhh! You're not supposed to say that here. Peer reviewed research and links are the end all be all of the mfp forums. And woe be onto those that ever speak against deadlifts. Deadlifts are religion here. Are you trying to get your forum pass revoked?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Do any successful powerlifters, let alone bodybuilders, make good progress Deadlifting twice a week? Nevet heard of a single one who preferred that over once evey week or better yet, every 2weeks.

I'd be willing to bet there are successful deadlifters who pull at varying intensities and volumes twice per week. Such as 1 heavy and 1 speed day or a similar set up. I also know for a fact that some very successful prep coaches have at least some of their athletes pulling twice/week. But it's typically not 2 heavy-*kitten* sessions.
  • carolinagirl215
    Options
    Bump
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    So legit question.

Why is a belt ok?
    But straps aren't?

Don't both provide aid in a lift?

Are wrist wraps ok?

For PL comps, because a belt is allowed and straps aren't. And yes, wrist wraps are allowed.

For general fitness, do whatever you want but don't claim it as a "raw" lift. That is why people have gym PR's and comp PR's as a comp PR is judged to a certain standard ie. no hitching on a deadlift. Refer to strongman/crossfit for a good demonstration of hitching :tongue:

p.s.not natty. If you got paid a gazillion $ to look good on screen, I think you'd do anything you could do ensure that happens.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Do any successful powerlifters, let alone bodybuilders, make good progress Deadlifting twice a week?

to play devil's advocate, Andy Bolton's program is 3x a week deadlifting.

I agree with you though. As soon as you can lift a decent amount going heavy more than 1x a week is generally not going to be very beneficial as it is very hard to recover from.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think you're assuming that everyone cares about grip strength though. If you're training for aesthetics, it's questionable whether you even want to do deadlifts to begin with, much less a bunch of grip work just to improve your ability to do strapless deadlifts. If you're training for power lifting or strong man though, of course grip strength is very important.
    Even if for some reason you decide to train for aesthetics, deadlifts(along with squats) are extremely important if you want to get big, not only that they hit several muscle the hardest but they will also improve your CNS.

deadlifts wreck your cns and impair growth?

Ok, based on what peer reviewed research?

What research shows adding deads to a bodybuilding routine improves cns recovery and increases growth? None. And mosy bodybuilders will tell you based on experience that it can often hurt.

Good luck developong a bodybuilding routine that relies solely on peer-reviewed research. There isnt much of it in this world

Shhhh! You're not supposed to say that here. Peer reviewed research and links are the end all be all of the mfp forums. And woe be onto those that ever speak against deadlifts. Deadlifts are religion here. Are you trying to get your forum pass revoked?

DYEDeadlift?

o.O
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

that could easily be said about ANY poorly laid out heavy/intense lifting program.

Sometimes my program has me squat 6 times a week. still doing okay.

Squats have about zero relevance. Deadlifts are much more cns taxing. Do any successful powerlifters, let alone bodybuilders, make good progress Deadlifting twice a week? Nevet heard of a single one who preferred that over once evey week or better yet, every 2weeks. 6x weekly and you'll be removing weight every workout. Couple that with a volume bodybuilding split and deadlifts every week or more are just plain stupid if mass is the goal.

But sure, give it a shot. /shrug

Ill take experience over misinterpreted research any day
    [/quote]

now you're putting qualifiers on it.

I'm not saying go ham ALL the time every lift ever day- but there are several programs that repeat lifts- I'm running Sheiko- and it's got a lot of everything in it- multiple times. (squat bench squat bench son)

DLing serves a purpose- but it's not for everyone's needs to fit their goals. But to just broadly say that they wreck your CNS and inhibit growth- that's just way to broad of a brush to be painting the canvas with me thinks.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Just to girly this thread out a bit, Hugh Jackman was even hot back in his pre-Wolverine singin' days! :love:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS0NPYH_pGw#t=0m47s

Don't mess with Curly!
    oklahoma05.jpg
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Not how it works there bub. You made an outlandish claim, back it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Pavel's Russian Bear programme is volume deadlifting and pressing 3 x week. That's touted as a hypertrophy programme, isn't it?

Oh, and congrats to Hugh. Nice job!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    I don't know a single person who used strength-oriented program and couldn't do 400+ in over 2 years.
    in fact I could do 3 plate(315) in little over than year,
    Well you can't say that anymore. I've never done more than 365lbs and that was in my 20's with at least 5 years under my belt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I don't know a single person who used strength-oriented program and couldn't do 400+ in over 2 years.
    Well you can't say that anymore. I've never done more than 365lbs and that was in my 20's with at least 5 years under my belt.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

for 1 rep or 10? :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

for 1 rep or 10? :smile:
    Single. Even squatting I never got more than 325lbs for a full squat. Of course, I'm a bodybuilder and not a powerlifter, but still tried to improve on poundages to get bigger.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Do any successful powerlifters, let alone bodybuilders, make good progress Deadlifting twice a week?

to play devil's advocate, Andy Bolton's program is 3x a week deadlifting.

I agree with you though. As soon as you can lift a decent amount going heavy more than 1x a week is generally not going to be very beneficial as it is very hard to recover from.

That, and: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/korte.htm

So, yes - quite a few successful powerlifters have used at least 2x per week deadlifting.

Not that that truly means anything, because this is now (ok - has been, for a while) a (few) silly argument(s).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'm sure glad my body recognized the difference between picking up up-to-120 pound bales of hay off the ground/putting them on a waist-high trailer and deadlifting. Otherwise, by the end of the hay season, I wouldn't have been able to pick up even the lighter bales.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I'm sure glad my body recognized the difference between picking up up-to-120 pound bales of hay off the ground/putting them on a waist-high trailer and deadlifting. Otherwise, by the end of the hay season, I wouldn't have been able to pick up even the lighter bales.

Of course working isn't the same as working out....which isn't the same as elite training. He does have a point about too much heavy deadlifting being taxing on the cns, but like just about everything else in this thread, his point has been over-exaggerated.