Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I am not sure if you have ever competed, but to be honest, especially at the local level, people go to have fun - it is a hugely supportive sport and people are encouraged and get a good response to lifts even if they are not very much compared to some others. I am sure that there are some people that are, and different federations, locations and levels are different, but at the local level, there is no such thing as 'strong enough to compete' even in principle.

Sheeez....

Fine, you don't like the phrase "elite" and you don't like "competitive". How do you want to classify people who are stronger than the majority of the population?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I am not sure if you have ever competed, but to be honest, especially at the local level, people go to have fun - it is a hugely supportive sport and people are encouraged and get a good response to lifts even if they are not very much compared to some others. I am sure that there are some people that are, and different federations, locations and levels are different, but at the local level, there is no such thing as 'strong enough to compete' even in principle.

Sheeez....

Fine, you don't like the phrase "elite" and you don't like "competitive". How do you want to classify people who are stronger than the majority of the population?

Dedicated??
  • rogerOb1
    Options

Sheeez....

Dedicated??

Ah, but that assumes that people who aren't as strong aren't dedicated - which they may well be.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Sheeez....

Dedicated??

We call them strong men and strong women. So elite level sounds to me like world breaking PR for the body weight class.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Sheeez....

I just call her a bad *kitten*.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Sheeez....

What exactly is the sheez for?

I did not even mention that I did not like the word competitive.

I was explaining what its like at competitions as you seemed to have the wrong idea based on your comments. I was not even responding to you re anything else in the above post.

So....sheez.....
  • rogerOb1
    Options

Sheeez....

What exactly is the sheez for?

I did not even mention that I did not like the word competitive.

I was explaining what its like at competitions as you seemed to have the wrong idea based on your comments. I was not even responding to you re anything else in the above post.

So....sheez.....

Oh, I guess sometimes tone is hard to detect in writing. I'll withdraw my sheez, lol.

Back on topic - when they say elite they mean competitive.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

We call them strong men and strong women. So elite level sounds to me like world breaking PR for the body weight class.

Wouldn't that be just as subjective too? I worked out with someone who called me strong yesterday. That doesn't distinguish between me and someone who is way stronger.

Does that mean you'd only class the record holder as elite?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Ah, but that assumes that people who aren't as strong aren't dedicated - which they may well be.

Hmm....possible.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    What research shows adding deads to a bodybuilding routine improves cns recovery and increases growth? None. And mosy bodybuilders will tell you based on experience that it can often hurt.

Good luck developong a bodybuilding routine that relies solely on peer-reviewed research. There isnt much of it in this world

Not how it works there bub. You made an outlandish claim, back it.

Strong logic. Yours was the first claim. Back it. You cant.

You claimed adding deadslifts to a bodybuilding routine "improved the CNS" and would increase growth. I think thats complete BS and in fact does the opposite unless the routine is very well thought out and even then wont help mass growth for most lifters.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    When I think elite- I think the top levels of competitive lifters- nationally and for worlds. and not TEAM lifts- but YOU as a lifter.

I don't think you need to be strong to be competitive- anyone who wants to can and should compete.

And I don't think you need to be competitive to be strong or to be considered strong.

But I don't think just because you're stronger than you the average lifter that it makes you elite... I personally do not- and it seems Sarau seems to be in the same boat in terms of how we feel about our lifting.. that just because you're stronger than the average around you it makes you qualified as elite.

But she can answer for herself- but from those two posts which reflect how I feel about it- seems to me we have similar views on the subject.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Back it you cant.

thought you were going all yoda for a second there
  • trojan_bb
    Options
    Squats have about zero relevance. Deadlifts are much more cns taxing. Do any successful powerlifters, let alone bodybuilders, make good progress Deadlifting twice a week? Nevet heard of a single one who preferred that over once evey week or better yet, every 2weeks. 6x weekly and you'll be removing weight every workout. Couple that with a volume bodybuilding split and deadlifts every week or more are just plain stupid if mass is the goal.

I'm sure glad my body recognized the difference between picking up up-to-120 pound bales of hay off the ground/putting them on a waist-high trailer and deadlifting. Otherwise, by the end of the hay season, I wouldn't have been able to pick up even the lighter bales.

are you seriously trying to compare lifting 120 POUND (lol 120!) to deadlifting low rep MAXES !? (Which is what most people do when deadliftng, it lends itself to maximal effort lifting, not 8-10 rep multiple set style lifting)

Come on man. The deadlift performed at MAX weight, inlcuding failures which is bound to happen often when attepting maxes) is particularly taxing because of the mechanics of the lift, the maximal effort, AND the DEAD PAUSE.

The dead pause at each rep, or every time in the case of maxes, is MUCH more cns taxing than letting the elasticity of the muscles contribute to the rep like in almost every other lift. Just like box squats are more taxing than a normal back squat.. Just like paused benches are more taxing
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Curious if you guys use straps because you don't have access to chalk?

That is part of the problem yes.
    I wish they had chalk at my gym....and I can't remember to buy some and bring it.
    We can't use it in my facility (Wellness center) because a lot of the members are seniors dealing with breathing problems.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yeah, so that's too bad. Bummer.

My gym has a big chalk bucket. Once I started using the chalk, grip issues went away.

Just another reason I love my gym.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    so the answer to the original question is that 400 lbs is pretty good but nothing jaw dropping?

in other news, i haven't witnessed anyone perform a dead lift since highschool. i'm 35, i've belonged 5 different gyms since college (and attended them). They've all been small local gyms tho, no Golds or anything. Although i've spent the past 6 years or so marooned on planet fitness.

i'm not saying its a good thing i haven't done them, and i'm willing to take the inevitable backlash that will come from multiply misinterpretations of this post lol. i'm just currious what other people's experiences are.

Do you see most weight trainners at the gym doing deadlifts?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    actually one of the small gyms had an even smaller room in the back with a squat rack (really just two uprights) that had chains attatched to it.

still not really sure what the chains are for, but i imagine it was some sort of powerlifting thing.

saw one guy use it once. he was indeed huge lol.

again, not advocating to train one way or the other, just sharing my experince and wondering if more powerlifting type lifts are more common in other people gym experiences, or if you even catagorize deadlifting as power lifting
  • trojan_bb
    Options
    so the answer to the original question is that 400 lbs is pretty good but nothing jaw dropping?

in other news, i haven't witnessed anyone perform a dead lift since highschool. i'm 35, i've belonged 5 different gyms since college (and attended them). They've all been small local gyms tho, no Golds or anything. Although i've spent the past 6 years or so marooned on planet fitness.

i'm not saying its a good thing i haven't done them, and i'm willing to take the inevitable backlash that will come from multiply misinterpretations of this post lol. i'm just currious what other people's experiences are.

Same experience for the most part. I train at 24 and see maybe 5% of the frequent lifters do deadlifts. Half of them aren't very serious about it (as in, muscular'ish males pulling 2-3 plates per side without much effort....in my book, that means not very serious about deadlift strength). BUT, the half that are actually putting effort into it, with what appears to be decent programming, are all pulling 4+ plates (males).

I just base it on my own experience in college and the guys around me then. I had a 4 plate deadlift in 18 months and was 175lbs coming from a start point of 135lbs and deadlifting 185 the first time. I knew approx 10 other guys who had about the same experience.

Based on every bodyduilding forum I've visited, the experiences tend to be similar. takes 2 years to go from 225 to 405 for most guys at a normal weight following a decent routine.
    actually one of the small gyms had an even smaller room in the back with a squat rack (really just two uprights) that had chains attatched to it.

still not really sure what the chains are for, but i imagine it was some sort of powerlifting thing.

saw one guy use it once. he was indeed huge lol.

again, not advocating to train one way or the other, just sharing my experince and wondering if more powerlifting type lifts are more common in other people gym experiences, or if you even catagorize deadlifting as power lifting

Chains increase resistance at the top of the lift, since usually the chains are setup so that a good portion of them rest on the ground at the bottom of the lift.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What research shows adding deads to a bodybuilding routine improves cns recovery and increases growth? None. And mosy bodybuilders will tell you based on experience that it can often hurt.

Good luck developong a bodybuilding routine that relies solely on peer-reviewed research. There isnt much of it in this world

Not how it works there bub. You made an outlandish claim, back it.

Strong logic. Yours was the first claim. Back it. You cant.

You claimed adding deadslifts to a bodybuilding routine "improved the CNS" and would increase growth. I think thats complete BS and in fact does the opposite unless the routine is very well thought out and even then wont help mass growth for most lifters.

Nope, made no such claim. You stuck your wank out, claimed deads impair all CNS.
    Prove it or ship off there sailor.

I'm glad you think something is BS, it shows ability to think, now use said ability and prove the CNS claim of yours.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

No, since I workout at the Y, I see most "trainers" drinking soda and eating candy. I also don't see a single one that I would say walks the walk. They may have knowledge, but they may not have heard the saying, "Heal thyself." I also see maybe 3 guys doing deads.

TrojanBB, I did some of your "show your work" for you, did a little snooping around scholar.google.com and pubmed while on a break. I did see articles mentioning CNS fatigue, but not a single one supporting your claim that deadlifts are detrimental, in fact, most of what I was reading suggested the large compounds (squat, deadlift) as the most effective at neural training under load, provided CNS fatigue is taken into account.

This is why people are expected to show their work when they make a ridiculous sounding claim. Now, to help you specifically, if you can read this:
    http://www.fmh.utl.pt/agon/cpfmh/docs/documentos/recursos/110/Hipertrofia e Neural.pdf

I'm only halfway through it, but it does lay out what seems to be an interesting hypertrophy/neural program. If you notice, their table at the end suggests compound lifts only for the neural training portion of the program. Stated specifically:
    squats, deadlifts, military and bench press, rows, dips
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

At my gym, yes. Ours is locally owned gym, not a chain. Lots of people deadlift - trainers, women, men, you name it. We have one small and one large deadlift mat. Deadlifts are common, as are snatches and cleans. Olympic lifts abound.

I don't know about other gyms. I attended a chain gym for a month - no one deadlifted. It only had one squat rack, and that single Olympic barbell was always being used by folks for benching or curls, so I switched to my current gym.