Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Layne Norton for one is a fan of deadlifts for building mass. So are quite a few other top competitive body builders. I have not run it but I think PHAT has deads 2 x a week.

The PHAT routine I used and the only one I've ever seen online doesn't have any regular deadlifts. Only 8 rep Stiff legged deadlifts halfway through the lower body workout and romanian deads 8-12 reps on the other leg day.

The way the program is setup, a regular dead wouldn't work well at all in the program since it'd have to be on either a push or pull day and those days are back to back.

That was my understanding. I am pretty sure that Layne does not run a regular PHAT program though, not with a 700lb+ deadlift.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sara, truth be told, I'd happily dead 4x a week if it didn't wipe me out so damned much. Love that lift.

Me too. I pull 2 x a week - one heavyish and one medium - both low volume and low reps (singles or doubles). I do lots of technique work at lowish weights and save the really heavy stuff for meets.
  • lisaluu916
    Options
    Hi, I am a 20 years old female and I do 3 sets of these:
    10 push ups
    20 sit ups
    25 squats
    20 lunges (per leg)
    80 jumping jacks
    60 minute wall sit

I then take a 3-5 minute break in between each set, I was wondering how many calories do I burn when I do all 3 sets?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    10 push ups
    20 sit ups
    25 squats
    20 lunges (per leg)
    80 jumping jacks
    60 minute wall sit

I then take a 3-5 minute break in between each set, I was wondering how many calories do I burn when I do all 3 sets?

Hi! I am not sure that this is the right thread for the question. However, no-one can really answer that question anyway as there are too many variables and unknowns (e.g. intensity, weight, fitness levels etc). If you want to have an estimate, I would pick the nearest to something like circuit training or calisthenics from the MFP database and use that an approximation.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Also...where did Hugh go?

33wa153.jpg

r786bt.jpg

1zdu8ol.jpg

that's more like it...and again..

2rer0v9.jpg

xayycm.jpg

errrr, cr@p......

nvtjk9.jpg

aaaahh, that's better.
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    At The Wolverine weight or what? Not to be a negative nancy but a 400lb deadlift isn't impressive for a guy his size. Glad he's using the king of all lifts as part of his routine but it isn't newsworthy.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    10 push ups
    20 sit ups
    25 squats
    20 lunges (per leg)
    80 jumping jacks
    60 minute wall sit

Legit first post and perfect placement.

Just noticed, 3 hours of wall sits, that must be fun.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    She has a lot of free time eh?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You have to keep in mind that Layne trained as a bodybuilder for a long time and built most of his mass before he switched to competing as a powerlifter. You can't attribute his physique to his current training regimen. There are plenty of bodybuilders that don't incorporate traditional deadlifts in their routine (although they might use a variant with lighter weight to isolate their hamstrings) and just because they don't hit heavy deadlifts on a weekly basis does not mean they're doing it wrong. You can also find examples of "skinny" guys who pull lots of weight, e.g., Maxx Chewning who is fond of joking that he doesn't even look like he lifts but he's strong as **** and has videos where he pulls close to 600 pounds. It all comes down to properly programming for your individual goals.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You have to keep in mind that Layne trained as a bodybuilder for a long time and built most of his mass before he switched to competing as a powerlifter. You can't attribute his physique to his current training regimen. There are plenty of bodybuilders that don't incorporate traditional deadlifts in their routine (although they might use a variant with lighter weight to isolate their hamstrings) and just because they don't hit heavy deadlifts on a weekly basis does not mean they're doing it wrong. You can also find examples of "skinny" guys who pull lots of weight, e.g., Maxx Chewning who is fond of joking that he doesn't even look like he lifts but he's strong as **** and has videos where he pulls close to 600 pounds. It all comes down to properly programming for your individual goals.

He added deads for his BB'ing goals.

I agree that proper programming is important - but deadlifts are deadlifts, whether 'heavy' or not. Certain statements were made without context. Pulling really heavy deads can be extremely taxing and generally should not be done more than 1 x a week (and even less frequently for many) - but this is all very much context dependent. Adding lighter sessions, whether 'regular' or romanian or any other variation is still deadlifting.

Not sure anyone said that they are doing it wrong if someone does not hit heavy deads on the weekly - at least no post that I saw.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not sure anyone said that they are doing it wrong if someone does not hit heavy deads on the weekly - at least no post that I saw.

If you aren't max dead lifting every day- you're wrong.

DYELB :tongue:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

If you aren't max dead lifting every day- you're wrong.

DYELB :tongue:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8 days a week, no less.....
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Stop slacking, this stupid thread needs to roll.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I bet he can deadlift more than that. I saw a documentary once where they infused his bones with a type of metal.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Stop slacking, this stupid thread needs to roll.

Not really
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    I bet he can deadlift more than that. I saw a documentary once where they infused his bones with a type of metal.

Must be handy. When he snaps up his back from poor form he can just regenerate and do another set.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    In honor of this thread I did 3 sets of 400 this evening. Because my form wasn't as sharp at 400 as it was at 345 I thought I'd try a 4th set at 400 but this time with a belt. I don't usually use a belt and thought it might help, but I felt really uncomfortable putting down the first rep..... so I called it a night. Probably should've pulled more on DLs tonight, but overall a good session.
  • Wasatcher
    Wasatcher Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    *peeks around*

well now. this is the type of thread i like to stroll by and derail, but i see there's nothing left for me to do here. is Hugh Jackman on the juice? do deadlifts count if you use straps? is benching with a compression suit cheating? does every person have to act like they are in PL competitions? can you be using roids if you don't have abs? is grip strength the most important thing in all the world?

i like it. i like it a lot. it's the lord's work you're doing here people. carry on.

Thank you...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In honor of this thread I did 3 sets of 400 this evening. Because my form wasn't as sharp at 400 as it was at 345 I thought I'd try a 4th set at 400 but this time with a belt. I don't usually use a belt and thought it might help, but I felt really uncomfortable putting down the first rep..... so I called it a night. Probably should've pulled more on DLs tonight, but overall a good session.

As with just about anything, you have to get used to it. While I wouldn't generally suggest doing warm-up sets with the belt, it may be beneficial to do so to get used to the feel. Once you get used to it, though, only for top sets.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

As with just about anything, you have to get used to it. While I wouldn't generally suggest doing warm-up sets with the belt, it may be beneficial to do so to get used to the feel. Once you get used to it, though, only for top sets.

Youre right, I'll need to get in some practice with the belt for it for it to add value. I was holding my mid-section together better without it than with it. I don't think I'll be using it next week, but I'll give it another go in the future.