Hugh Jackman Deadlifts 400 pounds

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    is the belt supposed to.... sort of like compress tissue and therefore somehow make you less susceptible to injury? like a brace?

or is it supposed to restrict your movement a bit and force you to keep a straighter back?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mao6mwy8mN1rv5gs2o1_500.gif
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    is the belt supposed to.... sort of like compress tissue and therefore somehow make you less susceptible to injury? like a brace?

or is it supposed to restrict your movement a bit and force you to keep a straighter back?

helps keep intra abdominal pressure. doing stomach vaccuums and any ab exercise where you "lay out" (vs crunch) helps this too.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I warm up with the belt on but loose. It helps keep the lower back warm.

As for the belt helping, I know it helps me squat more. I think it helps me DL more. It doesn't do anything for my bench although I do wear it for 1RM work to keep from pulling whatever those muscles are under your love handles. Who would've thought you use your love handles for bench press.

I have been on travel and found myself under or over the bar without a belt doing 90%+ lifts. Wasn't the plan but when I'm lifting in public, I tend to deviate from the plan. Feels good sometimes to just walk up to the bar with nothing but your clothes and set a PR.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I just pulled a 405 and a 425# deadlift today, chalked, no belt, no nothing else.

That 425 was heavy.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol, I'm sore today. Super sore.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    le sigh... I only did 185 pause DL's yesterday- my first bro split and I did back/shoulders and included deads.

because deads are back work too.

and I needed to DL.

But they were light- and I was sad. (stupid hoity toity gym- no chalk and I think I would have been tossed out had I had 225 on there)
  • DavPul
    Options

That's okay. You only have four more days if heavy DL to go this week.
  • dbmata
    Options

right, 5 days a week, for one week a month. I remember that.
  • JoRocka
    Options

right, 5 days a week, for one week a month. I remember that.

8 days you slacker.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    le sigh... I only did 185 pause DL's yesterday- my first bro split and I did back/shoulders and included deads.

and I needed to DL.

But they were light- and I was sad. (stupid hoity toity gym- no chalk and I think I would have been tossed out had I had 225 on there)

I use this stuff at public gyms:

mammut-liquidchalk-300x397.jpg

Amazon has it for $12:

http://www.amazon.com/Mammut-Liquid-Chalk-Climbing-Neutral/dp/B004N5MOWK

Works well and never had anyone say anything.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If they look at it sideways, look them in the eye and tell them you use it as lube.

Then don't blink.
  • JoRocka
    Options

and I needed to DL.

I use this stuff at public gyms:

mammut-liquidchalk-300x397.jpg

Amazon has it for $12:

http://www.amazon.com/Mammut-Liquid-Chalk-Climbing-Neutral/dp/B004N5MOWK

Works well and never had anyone say anything.

my regular gym has real bowl of regular chalk we keep out- so I don't really need it. I was only visiting this gym over the holiday weekend while I was with my BF- I"m not a two gym member (if retro was cheaper I would be- it's close and I need something to do while he's at work)

usually it's a none issue- but thanks for the link- I might have to invest- doing pull ups anywhere they don't have a real actual bar- or it's always slick- this might be useful to keep on hand! for 12 bucks kind of makes sense to keep it on hand- occasionally we run out at my gym- as long is it doesn't spill all over- I'm cool to keep it in there.
    If they look at it sideways, look them in the eye and tell them you use it as lube on *kitten* who like to bother me while I'm lifting.

Then don't blink.
    edited to closer to what I'd probably say
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was also struck by one of the comments on the Yahoo article. The comment was that only 1% of the people in the world can deadlift 400 pounds. I would think the number is higher than 1% but maybe I'm wrong.

BTW, I use straps. Deadlifts rip the heck out of my hands.

Higher than 1% in the gym maybe. I doubte 1 % of the world even goes to the gym let alone deadlifts.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If they look at it sideways, look them in the eye and tell them you use it as lube on *kitten* who like to bother me while I'm lifting.

Then don't blink.
    edited to closer to what I'd probably say

Yeah, I figured you'd know what I left unwritten. ;)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The only real deadlifts are tippy-toe deadlifts where your heels are all the way off the ground when you're locked out. Only wussie cheating weak lazy posers who don't care about their calves do those flat-footed deadlifts. The only valid goals in the world are my goals.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    The only real deadlifts are tippy-toe deadlifts where your heels are all the way off the ground when you're locked out. Only wussie cheating weak lazy posers who don't care about their calves do those flat-footed deadlifts. The only valid goals in the world are my goals.

I throw in a shrug after I do the clc raise.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love putting people down for their accomplishments.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    He's absolutely natty. The guy doesn't have a six pack. You know a guy is using roids when he is massive AND he is shredded (i.e. body builders). That's a great accomplishment for any age and it is very attainable for people who don't use steroids.

Bogus...First off a six pack is obtained with a diet first, not roids.

Secondly, I'm near his age at 45, 6'3" /215lbs deal with a joint disease that also attacks my tendons and causes my massive swelling making it difficult to hold/pull/push heavy weight. I am considered massive by the people who see me in real life and I never have used roids and can dead that weight. Its very attainable to people who don't use roids with correct form and a progressive lifting program.
  • DavPul
    Options
    I love putting people down for their accomplishments.

IN!