What item did you cut out that made a difference?

Options

Replies

• nievebrienne
    Options
    When I started (not on here), I cut out all sugar, grains, and legumes (peanuts, beans, etc.) If you decides to cut out sugar make sure you read packaging as the food industry has soooooooo many things with sugar in them. Look for things like high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, evaporated cain juice, etc. And look for it in the most unlikely products (like cans of beans for heavens sake. I lost 10 lbs. my first month cuttingout those things.

And check out this too - super good!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821596-257-names-for-hidden-sugar

Good luck, lovely! :happy:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I've given up eating fast food every night. Well really, I stopped making excuses as to why I didn't want to go into the kitchen. Eating at home most nights (except for the occasional Qdoba naked burrito or Panera salad/soup) has helped immensely!
  • gingerheadgirl
    gingerheadgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What item did you give up that was fairly easy to do and made the biggest impact on jump starting your weight loss?

Getting started, I'm starting small, baby steps, as I feel I can stick to a diet easier if I do it one step at a time. I thought this question might give me ideas on what I can give up and not feel like I lost something or that I'm doing an extreme diet. Where can I make a small cut for a big difference.

Excuses, and the notion that I had to cut items completely out to achieve my goals

1119.gif

LOVE THIS GIF LOL

I cut out beer. Worked wonders (imagine that lol)
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Anything with enriched flour, and anything with refined sugar. Also cut back a ton on the potatoes.

Thank goodness for cheat meals.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The only thing I cut out was a bunch of extra calories I didn't need. I did not eliminate any food groups or food items. I simply moved more and ate less. Worked well for me.
  • LaylaDSmith
    Options
    changed pasta to mung bean or black bean pasta.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    pastry. too many pies and nightime danish.

for all those that said soda, were you all still drinking full fat coke etc?
    i dont know anyone in the uk over age 14 that still drinks that stuff.

i use diluted juice concentrate. robinsons barley etc. to consume gallon of water daily.minimal cals.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The only thing I cut out was the BIG serving spoon! I eat almost everything I used to eat, just MUCH smaller portions. When you start denying yourself the foods you like, you are more likely to cheat and fail. Allow yourself a little.

Eat to live, not live to eat.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I cut out sitting on my butt all day and eating huge portions of food.

Now I exercise regularly, and I track my food. I still eat whatever i want - haven't cut out any foods - I just eat less of them.

Yup!
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Cut out diet drinks and artificial sweeteners and started drinking water with lemon and tea. Also, limit carbs (pasta, rice, breads) and sweets. Save those for the weekends rather than having them every night. Dropped 10 pounds very quickly by doing this.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar & starch.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    pastry. too many pies and nightime danish.

for all those that said soda, were you all still drinking full fat coke etc?
    i dont know anyone in the uk over age 14 that still drinks that stuff.

i use diluted juice concentrate. robinsons barley etc. to consume gallon of water daily.minimal cals.

Coca cola does not have fat.
  • Josephine237
    Josephine237 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Very helpful post and encouraging. Thanks.
  • xmacchanx
    Options
    I need to give up sodas and bread. Mainly bread.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have given up not having portion control! I still enjoy the foods I love but in moderation. I also work out a lot. I am doing this for good health, not to get skinny quickly.
  • janiceesmith12
    janiceesmith12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mindless eating. It is easy to eat a handful of nuts and then reach for another. Same with M & M's chips, cookies, whatever.

Once I decided to log everything I eat, then I have to think "Do I want to eat this bad enough to get my phone out an log it?" Lots of times, I decide that I'm not really that hungry.

I also question a lot of my "I need a snack" moments. Am I really hungry? If so, then have something. Could I be thirsty? Have a glass of water. Am I just bored or sleepy? Then go for a walk or something. If I'm not real sure, I have a glass of water and wait 10 minutes.
  • tar0809
    tar0809 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda completely and I don't even miss it even though I thought I would. I haven't given up on bread but I eat a lot less of it and I've found light, and healthier bread options(sara lee 45 calories and delightful or Pepperidge farm light style bread both are great!), I very rarely eat pasta anymore and when I do i only have a few bites(I miss stuffing my face with pasta though, I'm Italian you know!!! lol) and I rarely eat potatoes and rice.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    im not sure it made a difference but
    i use ground turkey instead of hamburger

and i stopped drinking soda
    and diet soda
    and anything with fake sugar
  • I haven't intentionally cut out anything completely but I think one of the BIGGEST changes for me that has helped, is measuring cheese and using it much more sparingly.

Also, just omitting cheese in many cases...like I almost NEVER have cheese on a salad or burger these days, and very rarely add it to my omelets. I find by doing this I really do not miss it, and I still enjoy cheese (maybe even more so) as a snack, like 1 oz of sharp cheddar and really tasting it and enjoying it, instead of just having it smothering enchiladas or something.

I used to use 2 cups of mozzarella on a homemade pizza and now my husband does a healthier pizza with 1/2 to 2/3 cup of cheese on the entire thing...it's seriously just as good.
  • KristyMayhem331
    KristyMayhem331 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Definitely soda! I hate the thought of drinking my calories but will do so for a coffee here and there (of course I can't drink it black lol). But in regards to much else, I haven't cut it out. I want a lifestyle I can live with for the rest of my life so i just cut back, watched my portions, and enjoy the things I love in moderation.