Walking out on a fitness class/instructor???

Options
15678911»

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Lols cant believe this is still going. She handled it poorly, but give her a break, she might deal with things differently next time. The instructor didnt sound customer friendly either.

OP go and focus on your diet and a different class if you are lurking. Lifes too short to bother about nonsense like this.

See. Everything's a commodity now.

Now we expect "customer service" from the martial arts? That's too funny...

QFT

not agreeing, Why wouldnt you expect a certain service if you are a paying customer.

The "certain service" started on time. The OP wasn't there for the services. If you expect a service, be there when it is rendered.
    And part of certain service from the start should have made it clear that the services will cease if cannot make it by a certain time.

Grown adults actually need someone to specifically point that out to them? That when you sign up for a class, you're expected to show up on time? Let's switch the roles here for a second - if the instructor showed up 15 minutes late on the second day of class, would that be acceptable? Or would you expect a portion of your money back because the full service you paid for was not rendered?

Again, i will repeat people are late, life happens. right or wrong some people think its ok to walk into a class late. newbies wont always know that part of a class has a warmup and if you miss that you can get injured, so should be turned away. Also there are people who do know this and will still just try it on. And yes i have been in a class were the instructor was late but they made up the time afterwards.

Life does happen, but there's an old saying: Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. OP had been to the class before, she knew there was a warm-up. She knew there was partner work. To expect the instructor and other students to stop class to accommodate her is ludicrous and rude.

You also haven't considered the instructor's position in all of this. In her first class, she has a disagreement with this student. The next class, the student walks in late. Perhaps the instructor interpreted the OP's behavior as being purposefully disrespectful. It's not like she was someone new off the street, there was a history. And the OP herself even tries to justify her behavior as "well, she was rude to me first."
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I have been late for many things.

And when I am, I'm prepared to face the consequences. Sometimes it's no big deal. Sometimes I miss the movie/flight. Sometimes I get written up/fired. Things have consequences, and sometimes you may not like them. Deal with it.

So shouldnt those consequences have some consistency to them based on the parameters of the situation? Or is it OK if you get written up for being late one day but other people are let off for the same thing the next?

Consequences are fine - I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. They should be explained though.

OP GOT MAD AND LEFT IN A TIZZY BEFORE ANYTHING COULD BE EXPLAINED.

You know, just like she rage quit this site.

Even tho she said the instructor was making her way across the room, helping people one on one that were waiting for their turn.

OP was mad because instructor didn't give her a big smile and "sup". She walked based on that. She didn't bother waiting for her turn because of "bad vibes"

Where exactly is the immature behavior? The instructor???

Oh, I think the OP realized that she was in an unhelpful thread when you accused her of blaming her kids for her rudeness on page one. She wasn't wrong about that - this thread sucks.

She did actually acknowledge that she had been rude for being late in her OP......

OP asked for people's opinion, and what they would have done in her situation.

She was given people's opinion, and told what they would have done.

How much more helpful could we have been? Or does helpful translate to "tell me what I want to hear, and that I'm in the right"?

Because MFP, and life, just don't work like that.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Don't take up a martial art. You wouldn't like it at all.

My sister has the character and discipline. I doubt she'd be as into kumite as me tho, lol.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You may have gotten the hairy eyeball from the instructor because of your tardiness. The classes in my area are packed and swarming with bodies. I hustle to get my booty there just to get prime real-estate in the class. Most classes are only 60 minutes long. Keep in mind that when you get there late you are a distraction to those already there, including the instructor. The next time you plan on attending get there promptly and I bet you will have a different experience. If you still can't deal then pursue another class.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

How much more helpful could we have been? Or does helpful translate to "tell me what I want to hear, and that I'm in the right"?

Not at all - I said near the start of thread that I wouldn't have handled the situation in the manner she did - but I didn't like the tone of that page either.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Not at all - I said near the start of thread that I wouldn't have handled the situation in the manner she did - but I didn't like the tone of that page either.

Which is completely fair. I think the whole posture thing was best left alone to be frank, because who are we to judge what did or didn't cause posture issues for OP. As a guy I tend to avoid comment on anything regarding child birth, just as I don't give feedback to birds on how well they fly.

To the matter of lateness, I'm sure we can agree to disagree. I've already said several times everything I have to say, so now I'm just talking to be heard which is rarely a productive use of one's time.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Therealobi1

I owe you an apology. Just because we disagree, it didn't warrant the personal comments made. I hope they didn't cause too much offense, but any offense is too much, and unnecessary to make a point.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

Which is completely fair. I think the whole posture thing was best left alone to be frank, because who are we to judge what did or didn't cause posture issues for OP. As a guy I tend to avoid comment on anything regarding child birth, just as I don't give feedback to birds on how well they fly.

To the matter of lateness, I'm sure we can agree to disagree. I've already said several times everything I have to say, so now I'm just talking to be heard which is rarely a productive use of one's time.

Agreed!
    We can join the OP in rage-quitting this thread. LOL
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Never change MFP.

Never.
    Ever.
    Change.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Therealobi1

I owe you an apology. Just because we disagree, it didn't warrant the personal comments made. I hope they didn't cause too much offense, but any offense is too much, and unnecessary to make a point.

Thank you. We are good. Night
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is the ragequit. I don't get it when people have a bad experience on the forums, then decide to quit the WHOLE WEBSITE. Isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face? Just don't come back to the thread that blew up maybe? Is it that hard to ignore a forum post?

PS She was late and didn't have to do pushups or wait for permission to join the class? My sabumnim is doing it wrong. :laugh:
  • b2xv
    b2xv Posts: 1
    Options
    My goodness. I've been a long-term lurker on My Fitness Pal and I couldn't help but join this thread. The replies are just redonkulous.
    There must be a lot of psychics on here....

Here is my 2 cents...

1. I am assuming the OP posted here because she does not know the proper etiquettes of a class....Had she known, she would have known she would be attacked here and would not be posting here.

2. Seeing that there were late students in the first class shows that the instructor herself had not set proper rules on being late. This showed the OP being late was not an issue.

3. According to the above #2, it was not a proper martial arts class (instructor had not set rules, treated other late students kindly without ignorance) thus martial arts etiquettes/respect/discipline would not apply here. If it was, OP would not be confused and would know what to expect.

4. Since there were no rules set, we were taught growing up "better late than never" at school and growing up. She thought it was better to be late than to miss a full class. What's the big deal? I would respect her for at least trying. 3 strikes - you're OUT! This was her 1st strike..but then again...lousy instructor did not set any rules. What do you expect then?

5. @ rage quit -- What's the problem here? We were taught to walk away from fights. At least she didn't sit here and quarrel her life away with people who are constantly attacking her. She probably has a life and left. Ever heard that saying? "It's better to walk away." In real life, a person who does this is more successful than those who stay and argue about non-sense.

I am sure the instructor set the proper rules, OP would not have showed up or would have known what to expect. Here it shows that the instructor is extremely lousy. She did not set rules for her class, she treated certain students differently. The OP is absolutely correct for feeling like she is being attacked the this instructor.

I can see why OP is upset. She probably never been to a class this unprofessional and wanted others opinion on the arrogant behaviour of this instructor. If it was me and I saw an instructor do this without setting rules to her class, I would quit as well.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Lateness is often forgiven for first classes. Sometimes it takes time to register a person, fill out paperwork, pay, etc. Newcomers don't always know to budget time for that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My goodness. I've been a long-term lurker on My Fitness Pal and I couldn't help but join this thread. The replies are just redonkulous.
    There must be a lot of psychics on here....

Here is my 2 cents...

1. I am assuming the OP posted here because she does not know the proper etiquettes of a class....Had she known, she would have known she would be attacked here and would not be posting here.

2. Seeing that there were late students in the first class shows that the instructor herself had not set proper rules on being late. This showed the OP being late was not an issue.

3. According to the above #2, it was not a proper martial arts class (instructor had not set rules, treated other late students kindly without ignorance) thus martial arts etiquettes/respect/discipline would not apply here. If it was, OP would not be confused and would know what to expect.

4. Since there were no rules set, we were taught growing up "better late than never" at school and growing up. She thought it was better to be late than to miss a full class. What's the big deal? I would respect her for at least trying. 3 strikes - you're OUT! This was her 1st strike..but then again...lousy instructor did not set any rules. What do you expect then?

5. @ rage quit -- What's the problem here? We were taught to walk away from fights. At least she didn't sit here and quarrel her life away with people who are constantly attacking her. She probably has a life and left. Ever heard that saying? "It's better to walk away." In real life, a person who does this is more successful than those who stay and argue about non-sense.

I am sure the instructor set the proper rules, OP would not have showed up or would have known what to expect. Here it shows that the instructor is extremely lousy. She did not set rules for her class, she treated certain students differently. The OP is absolutely correct for feeling like she is being attacked the this instructor.

I can see why OP is upset. She probably never been to a class this unprofessional and wanted others opinion on the arrogant behaviour of this instructor. If it was me and I saw an instructor do this without setting rules to her class, I would quit as well.

I guess OP could rage quit and start a new account but it would have been just as easy and make more sense to stop coming back to this thread instead.

I'm also not a fan of the "better late than never" either but we will have to agree to disagree. On a lot.
This discussion has been closed.