Walking out on a fitness class/instructor???

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Lols cant believe this is still going. She handled it poorly, but give her a break, she might deal with things differently next time. The instructor didnt sound customer friendly either.

OP go and focus on your diet and a different class if you are lurking. Lifes too short to bother about nonsense like this.

See. Everything's a commodity now.

Now we expect "customer service" from the martial arts? That's too funny...

QFT

not agreeing, Why wouldnt you expect a certain service if you are a paying customer.

Why wouldn't you expect to show up on time?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Lols cant believe this is still going. She handled it poorly, but give her a break, she might deal with things differently next time. The instructor didnt sound customer friendly either.

OP go and focus on your diet and a different class if you are lurking. Lifes too short to bother about nonsense like this.

QFT

not agreeing, Why wouldnt you expect a certain service if you are a paying customer.

The "certain service" started on time. The OP wasn't there for the services. If you expect a service, be there when it is rendered.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I think that people forget that MA instructors didn't get a certificate on the wall from a 2 day workshop.

They trained diligently for several decades to earn their title. Most MAs are steeped in Eastern tradition, which revolves around respect and honor. Respect has been demanded of them by their teachers, and they in turn demand the respect of their students. There's a reason you refer to them as 'Master' or 'Grandmaster'.

Most MAs have minimum time requirements between black belt grades. It varies, but you can expect to spend three years earning 1st Dan. Then you are required to train at least another two years before 2nd Dan, no matter how good you are. Then three years for 3rd Dan. Four more years for 4th Dan, etc...

So if you're being taught by a Master (varies by style, but lowest Master I've known is 4th Dan), you can work on about 10 to 12 years of experience at minimum. If you are privileged enough to be taught by an 8th Dan Grandmaster, you can expect that they have been training for nearly four decades at a minimum.

You bet your *kitten* they demand respect, and have no patience for someone not showing humility or commitment. Especially on the second damn class.
    so is it beyond the instructor just to say you are too late for my class come back next time.?
    not to mention the OP payed for the class so is a customer, the class wasnt a freebie.

So did every other student that the OP was inconveniencing. Show up on time or don't show ... it doesn't matter if it's a fitness class, movie, flight, or concert. The start time is part of the social contract for the entire group. The OP broke it with their actions.

And my question was why cant the instructor let her know where she stands so she knows?
    People are late sometimes get over it.

I've variously studied Karate (Shotokan and Okinawa-te), TKD (ITF and WTF), Judo, Muay Thai, Kickboxing and Lau Gar Kung Fu.

Every instructor I've had took a dim view to lateness, and the late student was always secondary to the class in session. If you were acknowledged it would only be when he or she felt there was a natural break in the class that allowed such. If you were allowed to join, you were expected to do so quietly and humbly, to take care of your own warm up, and to cause the least possible disruption to the class. Nine times out of ten you will also be punished for your tardiness in the form of additional exercise (just as you would for any other disrespect, such as talking in class).

The Master-student relationship is a complex one. Yes, in part it is a business transaction. But it is also much more than that. Martial arts teaches an attitude to life, not just a series of movements. The monthly fee is just the price of admission. Respect, humility, commitment and perseverance are the price of the lessons you'll learn. You must submit to the authority of the Master if you truly wish to excel in the martial arts. It's not for everyone, and that's just fine. But if you find it's not for you, just shut your mouth and walk out. Don't come on a public website and badmouth the instructor.
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Everything is about personal choice so you have to do what you feel however...

1. my guess is that if you really felt you were owed the money you would have asked; and
    2. if the class was important you would have turned up on time.

I have had worries myself, insecurities about flexibility when starting a yoga class...so i made the decision to turn up 30 mins early, managed to speak to the instructor, helped her set up the room with mats and stuff and explained my concerns and built the relationship with the instructor.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

QFT

I am a punctual person, but sometimes life happens and you are late. Can this not be explained to people signing up for the class before hand, or is that the punishment of something going wrong for someone one day?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

QFT

If you think mastery in a martial art is a matter of financial transaction. Of buying something. Of receiving "bang for your buck". Then I don't know what to say to you.

I would (and have) rather spend time teaching a student who truly wants to learn but can't pay, than waste my time on someone who can chuck some £'s my way but can't demonstrate basic commitnent to the art. Those people don't learn and don't last.
  • DavPul
    Options
    It's as if people didn't even read the OP. Why anyone would take her word as to the way the events went down is beyond me. A tad bit late is 15 minutes. The instructor was approaching people one by one who were patiently awaiting their turn, yet the OP could not wait for her turn. OP got a bad vibe, whatever that even means. When told her posture was poor, instead of listening to tips for improvement she says it's the kids.

Why would I believe a single bad thing about the instructor after this unreliable account of events?
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    I think that people forget that MA instructors didn't get a certificate on the wall from a 2 day workshop.

They trained diligently for several decades to earn their title. Most MAs are steeped in Eastern tradition, which revolves around respect and honor. Respect has been demanded of them by their teachers, and they in turn demand the respect of their students. There's a reason you refer to them as 'Master' or 'Grandmaster'.

Most MAs have minimum time requirements between black belt grades. It varies, but you can expect to spend three years earning 1st Dan. Then you are required to train at least another two years before 2nd Dan, no matter how good you are. Then three years for 3rd Dan. Four more years for 4th Dan, etc...

So if you're being taught by a Master (varies by style, but lowest Master I've known is 4th Dan), you can work on about 10 to 12 years of experience at minimum. If you are privileged enough to be taught by an 8th Dan Grandmaster, you can expect that they have been training for nearly four decades at a minimum.

You bet your *kitten* they demand respect, and have no patience for someone not showing humility or commitment. Especially on the second damn class.
    so is it beyond the instructor just to say you are too late for my class come back next time.?
    not to mention the OP payed for the class so is a customer, the class wasnt a freebie.

So did every other student that the OP was inconveniencing. Show up on time or don't show ... it doesn't matter if it's a fitness class, movie, flight, or concert. The start time is part of the social contract for the entire group. The OP broke it with their actions.

And my question was why cant the instructor let her know where she stands so she knows?
    People are late sometimes get over it.

I've variously studied Karate (Shotokan and Okinawa-te), TKD (ITF and WTF), Judo, Muay Thai, Kickboxing and Lau Gar Kung Fu.

Every instructor I've had took a dim view to lateness, and the late student was always secondary to the class in session. If you were acknowledged it would only be when he or she felt there was a natural break in the class that allowed such. If you were allowed to join, you were expected to do so quietly and humbly, to take care of your own warm up, and to cause the least possible disruption to the class. Nine times out of ten you will also be punished for your tardiness in the form of additional exercise (just as you would for any other disrespect, such as talking in class).

The Master-student relationship is a complex one. Yes, in part it is a business transaction. But it is also much more than that. Martial arts teaches an attitude to life, not just a series of movements. The monthly fee is just the price of admission. Respect, humility, commitment and perseverance are the price of the lessons you'll learn. You must submit to the authority of the Master if you truly wish to excel in the martial arts. It's not for everyone, and that's just fine. But if you find it's not for you, just shut your mouth and walk out. Don't come on a public website and badmouth the instructor.

Additional - being acknowledged early for being late is rarely a good sign. It generally means the instructor is furious, and you're about to enter a world of pain (or burpees, which are about the same thing). You're going to be a lesson about lateness to the rest of the class, and you aren't going to like it.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

QFT

The "certain service" started on time. The OP wasn't there for the services. If you expect a service, be there when it is rendered.
    And part of certain service from the start should have made it clear that the services will cease if cannot make it by a certain time.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

QFT

^^Very true! I fully expect everyone in a class to stand around twiddling their thumbs till I decide to turn up :bigsmile:

**OP deactivated by page 2 btw...
  • Therealobi1
    Options

QFT

^^Very true! I fully expect everyone in a class to stand around twiddling their thumbs till I decide to turn up :bigsmile:

Were they all waiting for OP? :bigsmile:
    I have seen people turn up late for spinning , if they are not too late they join in. If it reaches a point the instructor politely turns them back.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

QFT

Argument long ago became "people who know little to nothing about martial arts" vs. "people who have studied and/or taught martial arts and totally get the culture".
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

QFT

I have seen people turn up late for spinning , if they are not too late they join in. If it reaches a point the instructor politely turns them back.

219814d1384268787t-friend-tells-me-google-play-coming-10-2-1-jackiechan01.jpg

Did you just compare martial arts to spinning?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

QFT

Funnily enough that's exactly what I'd said earlier in this thread. At the 15min point the OP would definitely have missed the warm up period at which point at my gym she would have been refused to join in. Presumably more for her own benefit as it could result in an injury.
  • DavPul
    Options

QFT

I am a punctual person, but sometimes life happens and you are late. Can this not be explained to people signing up for the class before hand, or is that the punishment of something going wrong for someone one day?

You need a special set of instructions to tell you that it's bad to be late?

I don't understand this world anymore.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

QFT

no i have not lost my mind thanks very much. Are you asking me this because I have my own opinion?
    and no i am not comparing martial arts to spinning
    I am a customer who use services offered and once i know the rules i will abide by them.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

QFT

no i have not lost my mind thanks very much. Are you asking me this because I have my own opinion?
    I am a customer who use services offered and once i know the rules i will abide by them.

Don't take up a martial art. You wouldn't like it at all.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

QFT

You need a special set of instructions to tell you that it's bad to be late?

I don't understand this world anymore.
    have you never ever been late in your life? Looks like lateness seems to be the crime of the season.
    Not everyone takes being late serious do they. The same people who are late to meet their friends would never be late for work, or to catch a flight.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

QFT

Don't take up a martial art. You wouldn't like it at all.
    if you say so. i guess you are a mind reader now.
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Did I overreact?

Yes

What would you have done?

Arrived on time and not been such a drama queen when I arrived late?

Lets be honest if you were keeping an appointment and were 15 mins late its hardly making an effort. Save the excuses and check yourself, not the instructor. If you want to get in shape, then put some effort in. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.