Replies

• bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    "I love f^%&*ing science." - people I un-friend
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I guess that's why the gentleman put it in big letters, because the thread is supposed to be about SCIENCE!!!!!

I effing love science. I love empirical evidence. It makes me happy.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I guess that's why the gentleman put it in big letters, because the thread is supposed to be about SCIENCE!!!!!

It was actually a play off of a scriptural thread from yesterday that someone else started. It...didn't go well.
  • sailingheartships
    Options

Then I like you a lot, because I love empirical evidence and science! woooooooo!
  • sailingheartships
    Options
    '"What will you do, Bertie, if it turns out you're wrong?" she asked. "I mean, what if -- uh -- when the time comes, you should meet Him? What will you say?" Russell was delighted with the question. His bright, birdlike eyes grew even brighter as he contemplated this possible future dialogue, and then he pointed a finger upward and cried, "Why, I should say, 'God, you gave us insufficient evidence.'"
    ~ Bertrand Russell
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Anybody who has been seriously engaged is scientific work of any kind realizes that over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words: 'Ye must have faith.'
    MAX PLANCK

A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.
    ALAN PERLIS

How about juxtaposing these ideas:

Max Planck said "As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter"

With this:

He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
    Colossians 1:17

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.
    MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.

I like Planck, too. Particularly:

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

As far as his fascination with god, he's no different than Francis Collins. Both are brilliant men who made fantastic breakthroughs in their field and found spiritual meaning in them. However, it was their meaning and, just because they saw it, it doesn't mean their work actually supports those views. Both Planck's and Collins' scientific achievements tell us facts (amazing, glorious facts) about the universe, but anyone who sees religious or spiritual meaning in those facts does so for personal reasons. A fact is but a bit of truth with no inherent meaning of it's own.

Speaking of Planck, I also like:

"The belief in miracles must retreat step by step before relentlessly and reliably progressing science and we cannot doubt that sooner or later it must vanish completely."

I think it's kind of funny that you would use Planck to support a couple of Bible passages considering Planck was a deist and on record that he did not believe in any type of personal god, much less a Christian one. I'm also waiting patiently for the name of that semen resistant wood from Leviticus, whenever you get a chance. I have...needs.

Your post is sad. I feel kind of sorry for you. You take the base and refuse the glorious. It's like eating out of a trash can instead of sitting at the table to feast on world class cuisine. If only people really understood how much richer their lives would be, how much more joy and peace they'd experience if they really believed. I'm going to not comment further as I only engage in conversation that is mutually respectful.

Stand back! Im going to try science!

I feel sad for you. Because one of my good friends was raised evangelical. He believed with his whole heart, he prayed and he was the least sinful person in the world. Until he realized he was gay.
    Then his family disowned him (very christian of them) and left him to the wolves of the world.

So I feel sad for all the kids who grow up thinking they need to be perfect and that by there very nature they are sinful.

My life would NOT be richer if I believed in a man in the sky. My life would be siginficantly more tragic.

\now back to regular programing.

And no one can honestly come back on this one. Good comeback.

We all have at least one great friend who is gay and "religion," something that is supposed to tout love of mankind and doing good deeds shuns man and woman for something that is personal. I'll go one step further....the crazies that try to get into heterosexual bedrooms and tell them they can't have oral/anal, etc.

Yeah, if you ask me to choose between religion and a bullet, I'll take the bullet TYVM. Just saying.

Now, belief in something bigger than me, well, it's ambiguous and has no shape and I call it the universe. it works for me.
  • ValGogo
    Options

Then I like you a lot, because I love empirical evidence and science! woooooooo!

Woo hoo. BTW, I need to look up this Richard Dawkins.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Stand back! Im going to try science!

I feel sad for you. Because one of my good friends was raised evangelical. He believed with his whole heart, he prayed and he was the least sinful person in the world. Until he realized he was gay.
    Then his family disowned him (very christian of them) and left him to the wolves of the world.

So I feel sad for all the kids who grow up thinking they need to be perfect and that by there very nature they are sinful.

My life would NOT be richer if I believed in a man in the sky. My life would be siginficantly more tragic.

\now back to regular programing.

As a person whose family is currently going through a mild episode of religiously motivated intolerance, I'm sorry for your friend's experience. It is so much like that of a lot of people I know, and not just because of homosexuality. I find it painfully ironic that when one speaks out against this deplorable treatment, one is considered to be intolerant of fundamental Christianity (or Judaism or Islam). As if tolerance of intolerance is something to be desired!
  • tincanonastring
    Options

You don't know Dawkins? Oh, sister! You're in for a treat!
  • sailingheartships
    Options

SERIOUSLY, YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS MAN. I LOVE his book "God Delusion.' He is brilliant.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    '"What will you do, Bertie, if it turns out you're wrong?" she asked. "I mean, what if -- uh -- when the time comes, you should meet Him? What will you say?" Russell was delighted with the question. His bright, birdlike eyes grew even brighter as he contemplated this possible future dialogue, and then he pointed a finger upward and cried, "Why, I should say, 'God, you gave us insufficient evidence.'"
    ~ Bertrand Russell

This is awesome! Where did you source it?
  • tincanonastring
    Options

SERIOUSLY, YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS MAN. I LOVE his book "God Delusion.' He is brilliant.

I have a Fresh Air CD set on belief and there's a segment where Terry Gross interviews him. Pure gold.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    "The secrets of evolution are time and death." --Carl Sagan

May not sound inspirational, but it really helped me wrap my brain around evolution.

Also, Monty Python's Galaxy Song is my absolute favorite and never fails to cheer me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    "I have something that I call my Golden Rule. It goes something like this: 'Do unto others twenty-five percent better than you expect them to do unto you.' The twenty-five percent is for error." - Linus Pauling
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Dara O' Briain (Irish comedian)

"Science knows it doesn't know everything; otherwise, it'd stop. But just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you."

and, not really a science quote, but another corker from him;

"I'm sorry, 'herbal medicine', "Oh, herbal medicine's been around for thousands of years!" Indeed it has, and then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became 'medicine'. And the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri, so knock yourselves out."
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Oh **** what have I done!
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    God does not play dice...Einstein

Reproduction of the Fittest...Darwin
    where reproduction is defined as boinking and fitness is defined as the number of F3's or grandchildren that live long enough to reproduce, thus not having any social darwinism at all. Yeah.

It's not that I am smarter, it is that I stay with problems longer ...Einstein

Rosalind Franklin — 'Science and everyday life cannot and should not be separated.'- the real discoverer of the DNA Helix

Poster is an exscience teacher now child wrangler. :huh:
  • bugzillah
    Options
    "We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done." -Alan Turing.