What is your FAVORITE SCIENTIFIC QUOTE?

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    God does not play dice...Einstein

Reproduction of the Fittest...Darwin
    where reproduction is defined as boinking and fitness is defined as the number of F3's or grandchildren that live long enough to reproduce, thus not having any social darwinism at all. Yeah.

It's not that I am smarter, it is that I stay with problems longer ...Einstein

Rosalind Franklin — 'Science and everyday life cannot and should not be separated.'- the real discoverer of the DNA Helix

Poster is an exscience teacher now child wrangler. :huh:

Rosalind Franklin got the shaft...hard. My buddy named his daughter after her.
  • sailingheartships
    Options
    '"What will you do, Bertie, if it turns out you're wrong?" she asked. "I mean, what if -- uh -- when the time comes, you should meet Him? What will you say?" Russell was delighted with the question. His bright, birdlike eyes grew even brighter as he contemplated this possible future dialogue, and then he pointed a finger upward and cried, "Why, I should say, 'God, you gave us insufficient evidence.'"
    ~ Bertrand Russell

This is awesome! Where did you source it?

[Al Seckel, in Preface to Bertrand Russell on God and Religion]
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    The trend today is vampires, zombies, angels, all the stuff that puts me right to sleep. It's too bad because it's so much less interesting than the diversity of stories you can tell with science.

Seth MacFarlane
  • laynerich15
    Options
    Evolution doesn't care whether you believe in it or not, no more than gravity does. I want to rekindle excitement over what we've achieved as a species with the space program. We can't afford to regress back to the days of superstition.

Seth MacFarlane
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Bill's expression here:

Bill+Nye+the+Are+You+Kidding+Me+Guy.+http+imgur.com+tienASF+-_4fa2d7_5005935.jpg
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." – Neil deGrasse Tyson
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Dr. William Gray, Colorado State University
    John Christy, Climatologist

Check out their research and views. No grant money there. No Fakegate agendas.

Interesting. I would have thought their affiliations with notable anti-AGW groups like Heartland, Cato, CEI, Independent, and Tech Central Station would have brought them at least some compensation for their time and efforts.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I guess that's why the gentleman put it in big letters, because the thread is supposed to be about SCIENCE!!!!!

I effing love science. I love empirical evidence. It makes me happy.

It was actually a play off of a scriptural thread from yesterday that someone else started. It...didn't go well.

Are you kidding? I thought it went great! Especially because I was one of the the last to comment with a piece of Wiccan "scripture" before a mod closed the thread. :bigsmile:
  • sailingheartships
    Options
    “To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect of a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and 'improved' by hundreds of anonymous authors, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to each other, spanning nine centuries”
    -Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
  • sailingheartships
    Options
    One of my all time favorites by Dawkins:

“The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute that it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. It must be so. If there ever is a time of plenty, this very fact will automatically lead to an increase in the population until the natural state of starvation and misery is restored. In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.”
    -Richard Dawkins, River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life
  • laynerich15
    Options
    “To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect of a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and 'improved' by hundreds of anonymous authors, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to each other, spanning nine centuries”
    -Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Oh I like you
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is Occam's Razor. Many people paraphrase it differently but here it is "when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    “If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”
    --Sagan
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Guys...guys...seriously, guys. This thread has been just so awesome. So many awesome quotes AND a truly withering Bill Nye stare (from an amazing smackdown of Ken Hamm, too). Truly, I am blessed!
  • sailingheartships
    Options
    “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
    ― Christopher Hitchens

CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP.
  • QuantumZ
    QuantumZ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have far too many to quote, however this one sticks with me and is also from a man that deserves far more credit than he has received. I encourage anyone interested in science to read his memoirs or even do a quick Google search on him.

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter - for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way."

Nikola Tesla
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Science is the key to our future, and if you don't believe in science, then you're holding everybody back.

Bill Nye

Science is the best idea humans have ever had. The more people who embrace that idea, the better.

Bill Nye
    I've got no problem with anybody's religion. But if you go claiming the Earth is only 10,000 years old, that's just wrong.

Bill Nye

and finally

If the Earth gets hit by an asteroid, it's game over. It's control-alt-delete for civilization.

Bill Nye
  • laynerich15
    Options
    This thread is totally restoring my hope in humanity.
  • sailingheartships
    Options
    Science is the key to our future, and if you don't believe in science, then you're holding everybody back.

Bill Nye

Science is the best idea humans have ever had. The more people who embrace that idea, the better.

Bill Nye
    I've got no problem with anybody's religion. But if you go claiming the Earth is only 10,000 years old, that's just wrong.

Bill Nye

and finally

If the Earth gets hit by an asteroid, it's game over. It's control-alt-delete for civilization.

Bill Nye

I love Bill Nye so much. He make-a me soooo happy.