Senior Golden Sneakers - January 2011

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hey you all I am doing pretty good now. I think I overdid it friday night when I sttay up all night enbroidary all night long. wen to bed 7at AM. this old body is not a night ows any more. I guess I over work some of mu musscles. I always love to sew at night while Jerry is asleep. Of course he gave mw heck the next morning. I guess I better act my age now.. Thank you all for you concerned for me. See you all tomorrow. Love :flowerforyou: Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note to welcome Jsavy and Vacoop to our wonderful group. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: We love newcomers and welcome you to join us on your journey. :heart: :heart: We have other cancer survivors which inspire us and we have wonderful success stories. :love: Some of us have been trying to meet our goals for a long time (I speak for myself, even though I am only a couple of pounds away). A lot of us are animal lovers and speak of our pets often. We share personal stories, happy times, sad times or some just pop in to say hello when they can.:tongue: We all welcome you and hope you stick with us and let us get to know you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Record your calories, do as much exercise as you can or feel up to doing and drink lots of water. The pounds will come off and you will feel so much better, it takes time some times lots of time, don't worry about the scale, results will happen.

Have a good night!!

PS. Maddy, I know you can do this use brackets [ lower case brackets and lower case img and don't forget the / at the end with the lower case bracket and lower case img. Once you do it you will be so happy!!! For the newcomers, Maddy is trying to post a picture but having some problems. :laugh:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I nearly pulled the covers back up when the radio said -38 (-36.4F) with the wind chill. It didn't actually feel that cold to me. When I was going in to Costco where were 2 guys ahead of me wearing only Bunnyhugs (I know that is a Canadian name but for the life of me I can't think what you call them -- Hoodies, I am thinking). Anyway, what ever you call them they aren't terribly warm. Marie, you asked how we can go out in this weather. We mostly dress in layers and have very warm outerwear. Good warm socks are a necessity. Most people wear warm boots, I wear good running shoes year round. Of course, mitts and toques help as well. I remember one year when I was in Ann Arbor, Michigan for a conference we all were wearing shirt sleeves and people were out with boots and mitts. I think one difference is that we have a dry cold and it doesn't go through you like high humidity cold does. All that said, give me a nice summer day!

Marie -- Glad you are feeling better. We must learn to go to bed earlier. One of my favorite sports is on TV, Tennis! I can get caught watching it for hours. I have never played myself but I do admire their skill.

Welcome to Janet and Vacoop! We look forward to getting to know you.

Barbie -- Good luck tomorrow! Will be thinking about you.

Sandy -- No big wins lately??

Buzz -- So sorry that those eyes continue to give you so much problem! I hope that they will be able to fix them. There is a lot of reading for you to do! I hope that they don't feel irritated all the time.

Maddy -- You are very right about needing to eat enough food each day. I don't think I have ever not eaten my max. allowed (usually more) sigh. But going to Weight Watchers I have observed it happening too many times that people are not losing and find they aren't eating enough. Seems odd but apparently it is so!

Phoebe -- I hope the roads are clear!

Take care and keep smiling. I do think of you all. Gayla :heart:
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    white_rose.gif

Sandy, do you see this????? Yippee!!!! Thanks mucho :drinker:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    white_rose.gif

Sandy, do you see this????? Yippee!!!! Thanks mucho :drinker:

Great Job Maddy!! I knew you could do it!! We can do anything we set our minds to do!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!! Snowed again last night so the snow cleaners will be making more money today. :ohwell: It is my night to take my granddaughter to dance, but this time I am going to drive. We wasted a lot of time on the train and paying for cabs to get us to the studio.:noway: I really hate driving downtown, but I will try it once and see how it goes. :tongue:

I will be exercising again today, it has been a good few days for me to keep on track. : :bigsmile: I need the extra calories today as I am making chicken wings for my granddaughter (her favorite the way I make them) and I love them too. :laugh: I broil them but use all spice and they taste so good. :drinker:
    Marie, did you go to the doctor or were you feeling ill because of lack of sleep? You do know that you lose weight sleeping and the recommended amount is near 8 hours per night. I actually do get good sleep even though I stay up until 1:00am. I sleep until 8 or 9 and feel rested most of the time. :yawn: A friend recommended a mattress topper from Costco to me and since it has been on the bed we have been sleeping much better. It is a big foam therapeutic topper about 4 inches thick and feels so good on my back. My legs don't hurt in bed anymore and even my husband has been sleeping a little later. :bigsmile:

Barbie, hope your test goes well today!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Have a great day everyone, I will be checking in to see how you are doing. :heart: :heart:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Janet and Vacoop (do you have a proper name???).

Buzz sent me a wonderful guide to nutrition and I'm going to try to follow its steps. Thanks Buzz. So this morning my breakfast included fruit, lean protein, good carbohydrates and fiber. Higher in calories than I was eating (as yesterday) but I'm trying to change things up a bit.

I found some tips for breaking a plateau that made a lot of sense. I've definitely gotten into a routine here that needs some juggling.

1. Zig-Zag Calorie Intake

Zig-zagging, or calorie cycling is the process of varying daily calorie intake, while maintaining the same weekly intake. Instead of consuming (for example) precisely 1800 calories each day - you can mix it up. Eat 1500 calories one day, and 2100 calories the next. This can be as simple as halving then doubling a portion size, or adding a post-workout shake into the plan. Just keep your body guessing. Further: Zig-zag calculator.

2. Strength Training

If you are not doing this as part of your program or lifestyle, then it's time to start. Working your muscles will help to strengthen bone tissue, increase lean mass, and ultimately boost metabolic rate.

3. Change Your Exercise Routine

So you go walking a lot? Then try jogging, or swimming, or cycling -- anything that will change the way your body is working. If you are doing low intensity cardio work, then try some high intensity exercise (such as HIIT). Need help? Check out these exercise ideas.

4. Alter Macro-nutrient Intake

Although it sounds complicated, once again, the idea is to change what you are eating. If (for example) you are eating a moderate diet that is higher in carbs - try eating less carbs and more protein. There is no need to get super-technical over the whole thing. If you have a carbohydrate snack every day at morning tea time - change it to a protein snack. Whatever you are doing consistently - try mixing it up a bit. However if you want to get technical, use a nutrient calculator.

5. Change Meal Frequency

If you are eating three square meals a day - start adding snacks in between (which may mean reducing the portion size of the main meals). Eating often is an old and common style of eating - once again, you are trying to boost your metabolic rate.

All makes sense to me.

Tonight I'm going to a "Ladies First Heart to Heart" dinner and workshop sponsored by our local medical center. I'll report back.
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    Connie, this is so much better. And yes, tricking your body does work. I'm happy to know that you will be eating now. Enjoy the food and watch the scales dive!!! :glasses:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I found a new "image" service that is even easlier to use than www.tinypic.com. It is IMGUR - address http://www.imgur.com. Here's a photo I just uploaded. Taken when things were still green here. This is our retirement home.

Wbeenl.jpg
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    That's a beautiful home, so green!
    It is sunny and warm here in Calif
    Be safe today!
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Good Afternoon!!:flowerforyou:

Marie:flowerforyou: You ole' night owl you!! Hope you are rested and look forward every day to your posts. You are a bright spot on here!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barbie- am hoping things go well for you!!!:flowerforyou:

Gayla w0000000000000000-yowza--cccoooollllddd- I would be like an ole' bear! If you move today you are doing cardio:laugh:

Sandy---speaking of bears...:laugh: :laugh:

Maddie when you get photo posting mastered - teach me...I am still learning this sight and I don't have a lot of patience to apply anything if it does work too well the frist few times ---kudos to you and all of you who do these things!!:flowerforyou:

They say you can't teach an ole' dog new tricks...they haven't seen this forum.:bigsmile:

Connie-your home is lovely!:smile: I am glad to see you eating again...and all those things you posted are things I have been taught about nurtrition but sometimes we get in ruts and forget what we ever knew...talking to me here ...not you:bigsmile:
    Thanks for reminding me!

BUZZ-- I hope you saw the tip about using your Plus key and your ctrl key and enlarging your print...This ole' dog learned a new trick that day...these ladies are savvy....:wink:

Maddy that white rose is gorgeous!!!

Have a good one!!!
  • lyn54
    Options
    Good Afternoon!!:flowerforyou:

Marie:flowerforyou: You ole' night owl you!! Hope you are rested and look forward every day to your posts. You are a bright spot on here!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barbie- am hoping things go well for you!!!:flowerforyou:

Gayla w0000000000000000-yowza--cccoooollllddd- I would be like an ole' bear! If you move today you are doing cardio:laugh:

Sandy---speaking of bears...:laugh: :laugh:

Maddie when you get photo posting mastered - teach me...I am still learning this sight and I don't have a lot of patience to apply anything if it does work too well the frist few times ---kudos to you and all of you who do these things!!:flowerforyou:

They say you can't teach an ole' dog new tricks...they haven't seen this forum.:bigsmile:

Connie-your home is lovely!:smile: I am glad to see you eating again...and all those things you posted are things I have been taught about nurtrition but sometimes we get in ruts and forget what we ever knew...talking to me here ...not you:bigsmile:
    Thanks for reminding me!

BUZZ-- I hope you saw the tip about using your Plus key and your ctrl key and enlarging your print...This ole' dog learned a new trick that day...these ladies are savvy....:wink:

Maddy that white rose is gorgeous!!!

Have a good one!!!
  • lyn54
    Options
    OOPs!!! play it again, Sam!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous picture, all shimmery, MADDY. How clever!
    And CONNIE, some good ideas about shaking up the routines.
    And everybody...HI!

We went to a lunch at one of those lovely Continuing Care retirement places today. Great idea to ease the kids' minds, but WHEN DO WE FEEL READY??? If not at 83/87, WHEN? When will I really feel all grown up?

Off to a Jazz Preservation Society concert tonight; big night out!
    Will check back tomorrow to see how everyone is faring!
    Love ya,
    Buzz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    the procedure went well......I had to get up at four AM to do the last part of the prep and thankfully the dogs were willing to stay in bed and not wake up Jake to walk them until seven o'clock.......the nurse who got me set up at the same day surgery is a long time friend of mine.....the anesthesia nurse was darling and the procedure was over in no time at all.......all went well and and they said I don't have to come back for ten years.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: It is so exciting to see new faces, welcome....

:flowerforyou: it is also exciting to get new ideas about eating and exercising

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: one more piece of info about eating is to be sure that you are eating nutritious food.....all calories are not created equal and 1200 calories full of ice cream, pie, and chips is not the same as 1200 calories of lean meats, whole grains, fruits, and veggies.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: thank you all for your good wishes and encouragement :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options

We went to a lunch at one of those lovely Continuing Care retirement places today. Great idea to ease the kids' minds, but WHEN DO WE FEEL READY??? If not at 83/87, WHEN? When will I really feel all grown up?

Buzz, my line dance class dances at various retirement places and when I'm there I think they would be a nice place to live if I ever feel that I am anxious about living too independently......I think you'll know when you're ready (not your children).....my MIL had sons and DILs who thought she should move into a place long before the day she got up and said "It's time" and when she moved she was glad about it and if she'd been pressured to move sooner she would have hated it.
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    I don't know about you but I will never feel grown up!!! The only time I forget that I'm over 60, 50, hmmm 40 or 30 is when I look in the doggone mirror. I love the new commercial with folks our age talking about what they want to be when they grow up. When I grow up, I want to be a ballroom dancer!! What about the rest of you??????

dancing.jpg
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart:

I have posted twice and lost the post twice/ So I am just going to say hi for tonight and will try angain in the morning.
    Good night all
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    the procedure went well......I had to get up at four AM to do the last part of the prep and thankfully the dogs were willing to stay in bed and not wake up Jake to walk them until seven o'clock.......the nurse who got me set up at the same day surgery is a long time friend of mine.....the anesthesia nurse was darling and the procedure was over in no time at all.......all went well and and they said I don't have to come back for ten years.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: It is so exciting to see new faces, welcome....

:flowerforyou: it is also exciting to get new ideas about eating and exercising

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: one more piece of info about eating is to be sure that you are eating nutritious food.....all calories are not created equal and 1200 calories full of ice cream, pie, and chips is not the same as 1200 calories of lean meats, whole grains, fruits, and veggies.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: thank you all for your good wishes and encouragement :bigsmile:

Glad to hear that all went well....1 yr...GREAT!!:bigsmile:
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow, just got caught up on everybody. I have hardly been on lately. Don't know what's wrong with me lately--soooo depressed and have been binge eating on sweets so I feel pretty crappy about myself. I don't even know what brought this on but I sure hope it passes soon. Tomorrow I babysit my 4 year old grandson so maybe that will get me out of this funk. I know this knee surgery on Thursday will be good but I seem to be so angry about it. I'm just venting here because usually I am such positive person that I don't want my husband and kids to know how I really feel. So many of you have had more obstacles than I have ever had so I'm sorry about being such a big baby. Maybe its not even the knee surgery that I am anxious about, maybe its something else. Well, just writing this is making me more depressed. Please disregard this post and it was nice reading about all the things you guys have been doing. I'll check in later when I can add something positive. Thanks for letting me complain. Believe me, it not my norm. Take care everyone, good luck with your weight loss journey and until later. JoAn