Senior Golden Sneakers - January 2011

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!! Had some paper work to catch up on and didn't get to exercise yesterday or today (so far). My husband and I are trying to get all our financial paperwork in order since we are revising our wills. :glasses: Since we are in a second marriage things get tricky so everything has to be in writing. We should be good for another 5 or 10 years before revising again. :tongue:

Winter seems to be taking forever, I just can't wait for Spring. I am always cold and don't like to do outside activities, bring on the hot weather with the hot sun!!!! :bigsmile:

Connie, I have done slim fast and did lose weight, but as soon as I started eating again I gained it all back. It will work to help get rid of a few pounds and then go back to MFP and record your calories and drink lots and lots of water. I am like you and like my glass of wine everyday even though those are wasted calories. I figure since I watch what I eat most of the time I need one guilty pleasure. :blushing: :blushing:

Phoebe, I think this is the longest you have been with us since I joined. How nice to hear from you and learn new interesting things about you. :wink:

Welcome Cynthi, hope you will take your weight loss journey with us and let us get to know you a little better. We are really some nice people, even if I do have to say it myself. :laugh:

Time to pay some bills, do they ever stop???

Have a good one!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Phoebe since Mike and Al has added all these new feature can you get to us on your cell phone? That would be nice.
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sandy, winter is awful this year and I can't wait till Spring. I miss the river.

Calie, I love a pack of Ritz with peanut butter but...oh yeah, you can only have 5. I eat Peanut Butter every morning though, it's good for you. I put it on a lite English Muffin. Tastes good, fills me up and .....what else can I say, Enjoy. Oh yeah, did my blog finally. It's been a long day. Thanks for thinking of me!!:flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Connie,

You asked for opinions about Slimfast. It has a significant amount of sugar in it, and not that much protein, as well as a lot of unnatural ingredients.

In my opinion, you would be better off getting some plain low fat, or no fat Greek yogurt.

You can get it in 6 oz containers, as well as quarts, and if you don't like the tartness, add an envelope of the plant-based sweetener-Stevia (Truvia and Purevia are two available in the grocery story.) Greek yogurt is high in protein, and the plain type is low in sugar.

Combine your yogurt with some fiber, such as a whole grain sandwich thin, or whole grain mini bagel, or maybe an apple or some blueberries, and you have a much healthier and more filling meal. If you use the no fat yogurt, add a little cheese or a hardboiled egg so that you have some fat in your meal. A little fat with your meal helps keep your appetite satisfied longer, just as fiber will help you feel fuller with few calories.

Good luck.

Barb
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    I've been reading about so many of you trying to eat or drink so that you are under your calories for the day. That is the wrong thing to do. Your body needs fuel to function and you are starving the engine. The engine when empty will sputter and stop. That could be your problem. Take the calories that you are to eat and divide them out over the day into 4 or 5 meals. Real food, good food filling food. Do your exercise if you want an extra treat. You will lose weight!! Please eat! It is one of joys of life that God gave us. Not eating enough causes weight gain, not weight loss. Trust the process and don't hurt yourself!!!:flowerforyou:

I hope you all know that this is given from love and experience. My friends are really helping me and I want to return the favor!! :happy:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    000000000.jpg

Thats me
    Now I am off to eat a Maddie's breakfast
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    000000000.jpg

Thats me
    Now I am off to eat a Maddie breakfast
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I continue to have great success with Isagenix.....the shakes are so nutritious that I feel satisfied until my next meal.....if I exercise more, then I add a bigger snack between meals and with "clean eating" the rest of the time, I can eat a lot of nutrition dense food and stay within the calories that are allotted.

:flowerforyou: That being said, yesterday was our 22nd anniversary and the 2nd anniversary of the day we said that we were tired of being "Roley and Poley" and started our weight loss journey so last night Jake selected a romantic restaurant that we've never been to and we went out for dinner----twinkling lights, fire in the fireplace, romantic music---cod tacos for an appetizer, pumpernickel bread, salad with about a dozen different veggies (corn, cucumber, yellow squash, red onion, tomato, black beans, garbanzos, leaf lettuces) Parmesan crusted cod, baked yam, steamed veggies, and flourless chocolate cake for dessert.......I didn't even try to count the calories......I brought half of my entree home for lunch today and Jake brought half of his steak. They even took a picture of us as a souvenir of the occasion.

:flowerforyou: temps are still in the high 40's and 50's but that means we'll have rain very soon.

:flowerforyou: on the subject of binges.........I have had to stop eating certain things because I am not able to eat them moderately....bread, peanut butter, Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal are the recent additions to the list of things that are dangerous for me (ice cream and cookies were the first foods to be eliminated) and it's a good thing that I don't have another piece of that flourless chocolate cake from last night or I'd be eating it now:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    109256sq4pnu4imm.gif

Happy 22nd Wedding Anniversary Barbie and Jake!! What a wonderful evening you had for your anniversary!!! I am jealous, although on our last anniversary we did something similar and it was great. Your dinner sounds wonderful and the restaurant sounds fantastic.
    Many more years of wedded bliss for you two love birds. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I went over on my calories yesterday but I am still holding my weight. :tongue: I will be exercising today and be more careful with what I eat. I do eat around six times a day with snacks, which is recommended but I try to make my snacks healthy food such as fruit or triscuits with hummus or laughing cow cheese. :drinker: :drinker: I just think this program works better than any other I have tried since the weight stays off if you follow the program. I am guilty of going over calories but if you get back on the wagon the next day and continue to work the program results will be good. I never give up in trying to reach my goal and although I haven't lost as much weight as some of you are trying to do, I don't think it matters, it is a program that works for everyone. :heart: :heart:

Have a wonderful Saturday, I am sure we will be watching the playoffs and of course tomorrow we will be yelling: GO BEARS!!
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Sandy, have fun watching the playoffs, Jim will be watching the falcons tonight, but I will be watchng something, Anything else!! LOL, I would fall asleep if I had to watch a whole football game.
    well today I finally left home..for a trip to the store that is. It's a pretty sunshine day. roads are clear enough, just spots of ice/slush, but it is melting as I type. Our backyard still has a lot left, and likely it won't all be gone until it rains.
    Marie, what is Maddie's breakfast?
    also, you asked if I can get on mfp on my phone.. well the app that I downloaded lets me add my foods and exercise, etc.. but I don't think it has message boards with it.. I will check on that.. I can probably get on another way.. I'll see how it works.
    we leave tomorrow sometime, not too early.
    I plan to go to the gym this evening, and hopefully, tomorrow before we leave.
    hope you are all having a pretty day like we are.. everyone is out and about in this sunshine here.
    take care, be safe
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    I'll sure miss you, Phoebe. :flowerforyou:
  • lyn54
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Barbie and Jake...that sounded like a wonderful evening.:flowerforyou:

Maddie-you are right I ate more yesterday and was down 2 lbs...I didn't eat a lot more but more. If I keep the calories too low, I just don't lose. Sometimes, I forget that.:wink: I read all these other peoples posts and diaries and get to feeling guilty because I have more at times and it can become a mindset either way.
    I have to watch myself about that.
    I agree with the other post that you need some fat and fiber to keep your cravings and hunger down. I have to have protein. I'm like a windup toy that is winding down when I don't get enough protein. Plus, last year when I was mostly vegetarian I lost about half my hair. I had to add protein and some of it meat not just yougurts and things. It has all come back, now. It was scary.
    Everyone is not the same. It's a "hit and miss" or trial and error just seeing what your body is going to do. I am still learning about myself. This week has been very different and stressful. I have made it.:smile: We usually do but sometimes we need some nudges along the way. Encouragement and constructive criticisism never hurts either:bigsmile:

Have a good weekend!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    Lynn, I'm very glad to hear about the 2 lbs. Look on the internet to see what two pounds of fat looks like.....yuck!!...and it's gone. I know everyone is different but I also know that if we don't eat, we are not healthy or happy. I'm glad that you took my advice as constructive because I would never want to hurt the feelings of any of my new friends here. My husband says that even though I don't always do what I say, I do know what I'm talking about.....now here I am at MFP and I'm doing what I say!! :blushing:

My 6 yr old grandson had his birthday party today at a bowling alley. We had a lot of fun. I bowled 1 1/2 games before I stopped. I remember when bowling balls weighed 8, 10, even 12 lbs but now the darn things weigh upward to 100 lbs!! There was great music playing in the background and I was dancing with kids. I love to dance! Anyway, I warned my husband that I will be completely helpless tomorrow so he'd better be ready. :laugh:

Phoebe: I usually eat a Giant brand Lite English Muffin with 2 TBS of chunky Skippy Natural Peanut Butter. I love Thomas's fiber added but they cost so much more. If you compare the two, Giant has less calories and more Fiber for $1.29 pack. Be careful on your trip!!! :flowerforyou:
  • lyn54
    Options
    :laugh: believe it or not, I really do know how to spell. Criticism and yogurt..see:laugh: I need to proof read my typing a little more.:tongue:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for checking in with your opinions on Slim Fast.

Please note - I am doing this for THREE days. I had six cans of the stuff left from when I had dental surgery and could have no solid foods. I am taking a multi-vitamin along with it and am getting plenty of protein from the one real meal I'm eating each day.

I am a label reader so do know what is in the stuff and wouldn't do anything like this long term. I am aware of the sodium and keep my sodium below 1500 grams a day - that's 1000 grams less than MFP recommends as a max.

I just need to change things up a bit for a couple of days. So far, it hasn't made a difference but then it's only been one day.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Sandy, have fun watching the playoffs, Jim will be watching the falcons tonight, but I will be watchng something, Anything else!! LOL, I would fall asleep if I had to watch a whole football game.

Phoebe, I really didn't mean I was going to watch all the playoff games, probably just the BEARS. Usually I just watch the last 5 minutes or so because that is when you know if they win or not. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Believe me, I am not a football watcher but when we go to my step sons that is all he has on the TV. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good evening all.

I have started my rag quilt go 7 block embrodiary. That is really keeping my mind off of food and sleep to. I can hardly wait till i get It finish. I was going to embroidary rag dolls on the blocks but they were too busy busy . Wasn't please at all Now I am embrodiary baby booties . It is a laec design and I am hapoy with it now. So it will be baby quilt. Will send picures as I progressed along. My embroiday machine has a needle threader on it or I would never be able to thread.it.. I did pick out a desgn with one color so I don;t have to change thread to often. These old eyes not like they used to be.

Thraw out time in Ga. So nice I know our Phoebe is not used to staying home. I am always happy when she does for We hear from her more.

Connie , I think it is good to change your routien up some. Who wants to get in a rut. .

Maddie, on your breakfast I did not like the 100 calorie English muffin. too dry I toasted it and it never got brown, I think I will stick with my rye bread or whole wheat. I have been eating st times one slice cut in half 1/2 ryebread and ! T. peanut butter. not every morning for I like to chaaange things up For lunch i had 1 sl of rye bread cut in half and a ham ssandwiitch. 1/2 banana and some cold slaw , up of tea. I will have a tv dinner tonigh below 400 calories I know too much sodium in the TV dinner. so what the heck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. So with my late snack of 1/2 c greek yogurt and fruit Should be around 1200 I don't cook on weekend. or most of the time I don't

To get back to my quilt.

:heart: Marie
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    :laugh: believe it or not, I really do know how to spell. Criticism and yogurt..see:laugh: I need to proof read my typing a little more.:tongue:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: we "sort of watch" all the playoff games because we have opinions about all the teams (I won't say what because if I did I'd certainly hurt or offend someone)......naturally we are backing Seattle even though we know they are the team with the worst record in the playoffs.....I never just sit and watch TV......I jog, dance, work at the computer, knit, ride the exercise bike, work on paperwork or something.

:bigsmile: "if it works, don't fix it"......that really goes for any eating plan that works for you.......and it does take a certain amount of trial and error to find what works

:grumble: :grumble: my colonoscopy is scheduled for Tuesday......my fancy dinner last night felt a little like "the condemned man ate a hearty meal":laugh: the directions from the doctor say that tomorrow I can't have nuts, popcorn, seeds, tomatoes,cucumbers, raspberries, strawberries, apples or anything with skin.....so I decided today that I would avoid those things and get a headstart.....then on Monday I do all clear liquids and start the prescription liquid at 6 PM.....one good thing is that after two years of MFP and Isagenix, I am accustomed to drinking a lot of water and liquids every day.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:bigsmile: I know that a lot of my fluctuations in weight are directly traced to sodium and water

:flowerforyou: I took the dogs to the dog park park early today.....now it is drizzly and about 45 degrees
  • lyn54
    Options
    Barbie- Good luck with your colonscopy. I found the apprehension is worse than the test.:flowerforyou: Hoping for good results for you!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: