Senior Golden Sneakers - January 2011

Options

Replies

• Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone from the frigid North!! I am glad that I don't have to go out today but it doesn't look better for tomorrow! It felt darn cold as I stepped out to get the newspaper. Dave is madly preparing to do some painting and then install the new flooring. We are putting tile in the front and back entry and hallways as well as the kitchen and family room. I will get an area rug for the family room as well. I am a little worried about the stories that tile is hard on your legs but I figure I don't stand for long periods as a rule. Dave asked me this afternoon what I had done for exercise so far today and I promptly told him sit-ups and showed him how I was doing them in the rocking chair. He suggested I may get more out of the bike. I will get on that.

Marie -- Victoria is 779 miles from here the internet tells me. We are flying to Calgary, change planes and then on to Victoria. Both quite short flights. I hope you didn't freeze your buns on the way to the store! Our friends went to New Mexico and are most unhappy that they aren't getting some warmth!!

Phoebe -- Glad you are able to stay put. You need a little break anyway.;0)

Of course I didn't take notes and didn't go to Word so this is all I have for now. I know there were things I planned to say.
    Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart: :smile:
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Dave asked me this afternoon what I had done for exercise so far today and I promptly told him sit-ups and showed him how I was doing them in the rocking chair. He suggested I may get more out of the bike. I will get on that.

LOL.. on rocking chair sit ups.. I like the sound of that myself.
    I've found the secret to standing for long periods or even short ones is good arch support. I bought my first pair of Orthaheel brand sandals this summer, and never looked back! Now I have a pair of slip on clog styles that I wear all the time, indoors and out.. except maybe in the snow and rain..they have some boots I'd like to buy, maybe next year.
    take care
    Options
    marie, this is not a muffin, but it has some fruit recipes you might like..
    http://www.myrecipes.com/menus/winter-fruit-desserts-10000001683994/index.html
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say hi! We went to our lawyer today to revise our wills, gets tricky with second marriages.:noway:

Tonight is my bingo night and I am cooking dinner before I go to try and stay under calories for the day. :blushing:

Read all your posts, enjoyed them all. :heart:

Have a good evening, will talk to you in the morning.
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just got caught up on what you all are doing. I've been busy this week. Went to the doctor Monday for final clearance for my knee surgery and he was pleased with the weight loss. Tuesday and today I've spent cleaning and organizing. I organized all the drawers in our chest of drawers and cleaned out my closet. I have two bags to take to Goodwill. I also have been doing my Leslie Sansone tapes and trying to walk at least 15 to 30 minutes outside. The cold doesn't bother me so much since I really bundle up nice and warm but it is kind of icy and I have to walk so carefully. I sure do look forward to the time after the knee surgery when I will be able to take nice long walks because there won't be any pain! :smile: Well time to go fix dinner. We are going to have garlic and herb crusted fish (Gortons) along with sweet potato fries and bush vegetarian baked beans and for desert my favorite, weight watchers raspberry icecream bar (80 cal). Have a nice evening everyone and stay warm! JoAn
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: even though the temperature was above freezing overnight and this morning, our driveway and the steep road in front of our house were glare ice and even the intrepid driver, Jake, would not venture out so I couldn't go to line dance......there was a class without me and I knew what new dance was being taught so found the step sheet and a video on YouTube and taught the dance to myself so I won't be too far behind tomorrow.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: by 2 PM the ice had melted enough that we could go out and take the dogs to the dog park and do our errands including picking up the prescription for the stuff to drink before the colonoscopy.

:flowerforyou: JoAn, I'm glad things are progressing well for your knee surgery.......a friend of mine had her knee replaced in November and now she is happily taking long brisk walks and walking her dogs.

:smile: we all have to be careful when walking on icy streets and sidewalks
  • dayh1ker
    dayh1ker Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi, Sneakers~

It sounds like we're all having some very cold, very snowy weather. Same here. I've been hunkering down all week, keeping the woodburner going to stay warm. I only ventured out for an hour yesterday to go to the hairdresser (or, as my husband calls it...going to the bump shop) and got my hair cut. The pantry is full and there's plenty of dog food for Her Highness, but she'd be just as happy eating applesauce! She loves veg and fruit, especially cucumbers and strawberries. We had to put a short fence around our strawberry patch to keep her from helping herself.:laugh:

I made cookie bones for Her Highness yesterday. Today I made yogurt and paid bills. Not sure what's in store for tomorrow, but I'd like to get behind my sewing machine. I've been working on a quilt top since November and could probably have it finished in a couple of days if I put my mind to it.

I've been working out like a fiend, trying to lose as much weight before my next oncologist's appointment, which was tomorrow. But they called and rescheduled me for February 5th. YAY! That gives me a few more weeks to lose a few more pounds. If he sees I'm making an effort to lose the weight, he probably won't ask me to go back on those horrible meds. I go back to my surgeon the end of this month for a six month checkup and would like for him to see some improvement also. So far I'm keeping up with my 90 Day Challenge, but it's not easy. The situps are heinous!!! Thanks, ladies, for keeping me inspired enough to keep going.:happy:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I do hope We all make it wirhout any broken bones I thin we only had one Laast year That was Sandy husband Babe He broke his collar bone.

Phoebe thanks for the site. I did find a brocolli soup recipe i like to try. I love to look at ecipes.

Jerry goes to a hroat specilist tomorrow for he has been horse for six months.His regulor occter has ben given him antibolic and has him gauggle good but no help. He says he fill find but t times I canot understand him and just shut him out. Hope this doctor can tell him what it is.
    I ave been downloading some embroidary to start my quilt It is going to be a rag doll Quilt done on flannel blocks.

Dayhiker what kndo f quilt are you doing?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Marie, I don't know a lot about watching TV shows on the computer.....I found the Dancing With the Stars episode because I was going to the website to read news about the show......there are some networks that show complete episodes on the computer and you probably would find them by going to the network website and looking to see if there are choices of watching any of the shows.

smiley-computer001.gif
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks B arbie. I will try that when I missed one of my faverite This computor is really a smart cookie.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    MARIE, thanks for the little note. I can barely make out the letters on my keyboard, so reading here is almost hopeless! Today is more difficult for some reason, and I begin to wonder if one of my medications is affecting my eyesight! Totally blurred. Perhaps tomorrow will be better. I dread typing my food, but when I stopped, I couldn't figure out what my diary should be! More food? Too much? Enough fiber? I really lost it! At least I'm forcing myself to exercise again!
    Hope no one is completely snowed in.
    I'll be back when possible!
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE OUR LETTERS BIGGER SO THAT BUZZ CAN SEE THEM BETTER? I HAVE CAPTIALIZED THIS SO THAT MAYBE BUZZ CAN KNOW I HOPE SHE GETS BE:flowerforyou: TTER SOON!:flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE OUR LETTERS BIGGER SO THAT BUZZ CAN SEE THEM BETTER? I HAVE CAPTIALIZED THIS SO THAT MAYBE BUZZ CAN KNOW I HOPE SHE GETS BE:flowerforyou: TTER SOON!:flowerforyou:

I already included instructions in the last post I did prior to this one. Since it sounds like Buzz is probably not reading all the posts, but is reading her messages, I will copy my instructions into a personal message to her and see if that helps.

Barb
  • dayh1ker
    Options
    IDayhiker what kndo f quilt are you doing?

I am making an applique wall hanging actually, not a large quilt. It's a new technique that I'm trying out. The pattern is out of a book by Kim Deihl and I am really enjoying making it. The center design is basically done. Now I need to do the borders. If I ever take the time to figure out how to put pictures in posts I'll take a snapshot of it when I'm done and upload it.

I went to my very first quilting retreat last November and had so much fun. I'd love to do more of them but some of them get very pricey. I'd rather use the money to buy fabric! The shop that organized the retreat has Block of the Month clubs and I signed up for two of them. One is an applique winter quilt and the other is the Farmer's Wife quilt which will really challenge me. But the finished quilt is absolutely gorgeous. I finished a quilt top at that retreat made from dozens of different homespun plaids but I need to get it to the quilter. It's a king size and way too big for me to quilt so I'm paying to have it done. I'd love to see some of your work. That's how I get inspired...I love to see what others are doing. I've made some flannel quilts and absolutely love them. I've never done a rag quilt but they are really cute and so cozy.

It's nice to have a fellow stitcher in here!
  • dayh1ker
    Options
    I just got off the phone with a friend in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

She said that since early this morning the snow has accumulated to nearly waist deep and is still falling. The temperature is dropping below zero and the winds out of the north are increasing. Her husband has done nothing but look through the kitchen window.

She says that if it gets much worse, she may have to let him in.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    OMG! That is soooo funny! A great way to start the day!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Options
    I just got off the phone with a friend in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

She said that since early this morning the snow has accumulated to nearly waist deep and is still falling. The temperature is dropping below zero and the winds out of the north are increasing. Her husband has done nothing but look through the kitchen window.

She says that if it gets much worse, she may have to let him in.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

now that is a smart woman LOL ROFLOL!!
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Marie, you can watch TV on Hulu.com. Not all TV programs are on there, but so far anything that I missed and really wanted to see was. It is a free site. Check it out.

Does anyone know if it is ok to give the dogs any people medicine for arthritis. Kirby is really limping around today and I feel so sorry for him. I have ibyprophen, or vicadin that I could give him 1/2 pill but I don't want to if it could hurt him. :cry:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Come on folks.... Control Key and + sign will make text as big as you want. Control Key and - sign makes it small again. This works in almost every browser.

To make a more permanent change you can change the properties in Windows. That's a bit more complicated but I will send directions to anyone who wants them. Mail me.
    Options
    you can call your vet to confirm this, and Please do..just to be safe.. aspirin is ok for dogs, but not the other types of analgelsics, over the counter anyway. you need to consider the dogs weight to be sure of how much of an aspirin.. probably no more than 81mg per day.. please call your vet first though. they also have prescription meds for dogs /arthritis. Also, glucosamine in some forms and dosages is often recommended by vets.