Senior Golden Sneakers - January 2011

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I have so much to catch up with and as usual, LOVE reading all your posts, but my eyesight and the computer aren't doing too well now. Hope it changes with eyelid surgery scheduled for 2/2 !

HAPPY, HEALTHY NEW YEAR, dear friends!

I think I gained a pound or 2 over the holidays, but since I haven't been doing the daily FOOD page, I don't know if I'm eating too little or too much! My exercise went down, but now I'll try to do it right! Back to my Sansone and Fonda DVDs!

Does anyone else find a problem reading on their desktops? It's the only place I go blind!!!

I'll check back time to time to try to learn what's going on in all your lives, and to attempt to meet out new gals! Please bear with me for now? !
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Buzz so good to hear from you. I was thinking about you today. Sure hope your eye surgery turn out fine for you. I too haave losts of problems seeing on my computor. Sometimes I have to set my zoom to 200 especially if I am changing I
    to the lower casr. other wise I keep it on 150. Do keep in touch with us. Sure miss the ****ens out of you. Love Marie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Barbie,

I am glad my post helped Jake watch the game. Now if only I could have helped the Ducks keep from getting beat on the last play of the game !!!! Phooey!! But, it was certainly not a BORING game, was it?? LOL

I actually was able to watch it at HOME!! No, I didn't go out and pirate my cable connection. LOL!! I did some online snooping and discovered that there is a website called ESPN.go.com, which provides live feeds of many games they carry, AND also has an archive of things from the last few weeks, so if you missed the Rose Bowl, for example, you can go into the archives and watch it. If anyone missed the BCS and is kicking themselves, I suggest you check the website tomorrow and see if it is listed under the "replay tab." They also have a schedule of future games, about 2 weeks out.

Buzz, do you know there is a way to make EVERYTHING on your screen appear larger? Zoom is great in IE, but if you have trouble reading your desktop icons or menus, you might benefit from going in to the Accessibility settings in the control panel and choosing Ease of Access center, then optimize visual display. Once there click on the link to change the text of type and icons, under make things on screen larger, and change your DPI Scaling from the standard 96 DPI to 120. When you do that, you will find the desktop icons and titles are larger, and also the characters in menus. My instructions are based upon Windows Vista OS, so if you have a different version of windows, the process or nomenclature within the menus might be different.

Barb
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Snow storm comin! Around here, it should only be 2-4 inches, I HOPE! Never can trust the weather man (even though my oldest grandson is one :happy: ) I'm expecting delivery of a new sofa and chair today and I have to go to give my grandson his birthday present. He's "6" today and he doesn't want to wait until his party on Saturday. Can you blame him....I don't like to wait either and I love presents!!! I hope I like the furniture when it gets here. You know how you sit on it a little in the store and it's great, then you sit on it everyday at home and.......uh oh! No, Uh ohs, please :sad: I'm in PA. What's the prediction for your area and more importantly, DID YOU BUY BREAD, EGGS AND MILK????? :laugh:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    We were supposed to have a snow storm overnight but this morning there is only a thin sprinkle of white on the ground. The sun is shining brightly so it will be soon all gone despite the cold temperatures (18 degrees at the moment in an area where the January normals are in the 34-44 degree range.)

Seems like we are running in to town every day lately so my stock of milk, bread and eggs is pretty good. I also keep my pantry stocked with things like complete pancake mix that needs only water. We have an all electric house so if we loose power we have to rely on our gas grill for cooking so we also keep an extra propane tank on hand. The grill has a side burner so I can use a saute pan, or heat water in my big canning pot. We pull it into the garage and cook out there (with the door partly opened) to stay out of the cold wind. Doesn't help with heat but our lower level stays warm enough (being under ground) that we can tolerate a few days without the furnace.

Hope we don't need all that planning. In the four winters we've been here we've only lost power twice and the longest was for about 7 hoursl.
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    If you see my food diary, you'll see that I eat English Muffin with PB almost every day. I like it! Thomas's are so expensive that I wait for a sale but this week, I needed some and they were out. I bought a pack of the Giant Lite English Muffins. Pretty good. I posted both on my diary to see the comparison if you're interested. I will remove one later. :-)
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    quoting Madagooga
    What's the prediction for your area and more importantly, DID YOU BUY BREAD, EGGS AND MILK?????

that's exactly what we bought!! LOL, and we got plenty of snow here in Georgia. Ice too. The dot..dept of transportation is taking a beating for not keeping the roads clear.. the problem seems to be that too many vehicles are parked on the roads, unable to move, and they can't salt the roads coz of the traffic!! oh well.. I'm glad we are at home for this storm.

we may feel like caged rabbits by the time the roads are good enough to travel on again..it is just not worth it to try, we can't afford the deductible if we crash our cars!
    I hope you are all doing well, I've missed you. we are not home much these days. we are trying to stay busy, but this is the slowest time of the year.
    We did not lose our electricity, so I am going to do a little housework today.. vacc. dust and start on cleaning out the fridge and freezers.. seems like I just finished cleaning them out, and its time again!
    I joined Anytime Fitness through work. They got a great rate and it is much less than the ymca near our home. I am looking forward to visiting the fitness center whenever I am home, but also, they are nationwide, and I can visit any of the centers.
    Now, if the roads were clear, I could be there!!
    take care, I will try to do better on my posting.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    +Phoebe i am so glad you are home and safe. we been seeing a lot about Ga.. on the news, Looks pretty rought. Our snow is about all gone. Roads are now clear. I want spring!!!! So good to hear from you. athought I do keep up with you on FB I bet those Kitty cats are glad to be home. When you get thru cleaning come to my house and do mine.

How is Jim?? See you on facebook.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!! We are also getting snow, they are predicting 2-4 inches but it is still snowing so I am sure we will get more. :grumble: I wouldn't mind if I didn't have some where to go tonight and during rush hour no less. My 16 year old grand daughter is taking some dance classes at the Jeoffrey Ballet Studio and since it is in downtown Chicago I am either going to drive her or we will take the train. :tongue: I am happy that she is taking an interest in another studio since she was so devastated when we pulled her from the company she was with for eight years. This studio is no where near what we were paying for competition dancing even if she makes the audtions for their shows. :noway:

I am on track with exercise again today and will be recording my calories trying to stay under. :drinker:

Phoebe, it was great hearing from you and I am sorry you are snow bound. I don't know if you read the post where my son in Arizona is now an over the road truck driver. He is an independent driver and is just starting out, so I hope he makes it and will stick with this profession since it cost and arm and a leg to get started. ;:laugh:

Connie, clever idea in case of power loss. We are fortunate that we don't lose power often, more in the summer than the winter which is more tolerable than being cold. :tongue:

Daisy is at the groomer, bad day for it, but she goes once a week to keep her looking pretty. :bigsmile:

Have a good day!!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi Its me again. I have been off reading food blogs. I just loving reading them they are so witty. I found one for split pea soup an cornbread that just made my mouth watery Gonna have to try it..........Sandy good luck on your trip to chcago. Keep us posted. glad your grndaughter is still interesting in dancing. time to go eat some left overs from Sunday.
    Marie
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hey Everyone~
    What is it about snow and milk, bread and eggs...if you live in a snow area and they predict snow...go to the grocery store...the shelves become bare quickly:laugh:
    I didn't know if it was the people just in the area I live but evidently not.
    We have snow today too. I have almond milk..:bigsmile:
    My mom is spending the winter in Fla she told me Shreveport, La. had an ice storm and Birmingham, Ala. doesn't have snow so they had no salt. They had snow this year. Didn't Atlanta have a white Christmas this year.
    I don't know if you have wooley worms where you live but in the country the old folks predicted the weather for the winter with wooley worms. They range from dark brown to orange and black. This past summer we had white ones. I had never seen a white wooley worm..my mom said then we would have an icy, snowy winter...thus she went south to Fla.:happy: :laugh: So far, we have had more snow in Dec and Jan than in combined years before.:tongue:

About eating~~I am finally getting back to some sort of normal. It's been tough, I can tell you. :drinker: :drinker:

The cold makes you feel lazy too. i admire everyone who lives in the cold and gets out and goes and excercises and walks dogs and all this stuff you do. I don't know if I have thick blood or what:bigsmile: I feel like a hibernating bear and I get slow.

I did go to the gym yesterday and I am going tomorrow...truthfully, I have to be careful with the old back.:tongue: The therpist told me yesterday that I would need to come 2 times a week to help it and let her help me. That is 100.00 a week. So when I start that I must have good enough weather to be able to get there, so I may have to wait until the snow season passes to tackle that one.

I love reading your posts. I love this forum:love:

Have a good one:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    When I find something fun and interesting on the Internet I like to share it with friends.

There is a great magazine aimed at healthier living for seniors that gets stuffed in our local daily newspaper once a month. Because we get our paper online, we never got the magazine until recently when it premiered online.

This magazine is filled with excellent articles, inspirational stories, great recipes and a series of "smart move" workouts geared for those in the 55+ age group.

The Magazine is called Spry, and the web site is www.spryliving.com. Do a search on "smart moves" for a list of all the workouts that have been featured in recent months. Each is illustrated with pictures or diagrams with instructions.

The recipes section is also excellent and most of the recipes give you breakdowns on nutrition such as calories, sodium, etc. They are working to build an even bigger database and getting the nutrition values on all recipies.

I especially like the "Inspiring Advice" section - great stories, articles, etc.

Hope you all enjoy this resource as much as I do.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: when it started to snow here on Sunday we rushed out and bought cat food and dog food......people can do without some of their favorites but you can't tell the pets that there's no pet food so they'll have to eat oatmeal and applesauce :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Barb, I'm glad you were able to watch the game at home.....I was concerned about you going out at night in the nasty weather........we watched an episode of "Dancing With the Stars" on the computer awhile ago when our power went out and we missed the show....we watched it the next day and it was a treat.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I'm glad your granddaughter has found a way to keep on dancing :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: yes, the dogs and I went to the dog park again today......the road in front of our house was so icy that the garbage and recycle trucks couldn't get up to pick up our stuff but the dogs and I got out and back in safely. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, it's great to hear from you again and know that you are safe.:bigsmile:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Just popping in quickly to say Hi! We bummed around the city a bit today and then got very little done at home. I really need to do a bit of cleaning before I go on my little holiday to Victoria next week!! If I was a good wife I would be preparing some meals for the freezer. Alas, I am not!! I made chicken noodle soup today with broth I made from the turkey carcass at Christmas. It was a little shy on salt. I am trying to cut back but so far not liking it much. However, we did enjoy it.

I will try to catch up with you all tomorrow. Buzz, sorry the eyes aren't getting better. I have an iPad and love that I can so easily make the print a comfortable size. I hope the surgery goes well. Phoebe, nice to see you here. Miss you, my friend.

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, How do you watch a tv rerun on your computor.?

:flowerforyou: Connie thanks for the new i went to get but sidn't have time to review i good. Got it mark in my faverite nd will check it out today sometime. It is 17 degree out this morning and we are off to the grocer store BRBRBR too .cold for me but we are in for a warm up
    But the sun is bright and cheerful this morning, but bitter cold. But jerry and Sammy has alaready been out on the bike.

:flowerforyou: Mattie good morning to you you sound like you had another great day. Go for another one

:flowerforyou: Lafla good hearing from you. Enjoy your little trip. How far is it from your house?

:flowerforyou: Gigi where are you? Missed you.

:flowerforyou: Irene you still have that great courage i see.

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey Getting used to the cold and snow?? Have you always live in Indiana?

:flowerforyou:
    Marilyn.Havent heard too much from you since Christmas. Been too busy?

:flowerforyou: Beth you just keep a running. Good for you my friend.

:flowerforyou: Phoebe Was so nice to hear from you. Made my day!

:flowerforyou: Birdie aren't you ever going to slow down,You had a wonderful 1010 last year.

:flowerforyou: ,Lynn You are a patch of sunshine in our lives So gladyou found us

:flowerforyou: Jake you always have such kind words to us all.

:flowerforyou: Sandy a big pot of:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: for you for keeping us going.

Hubby just came in to remind me this is grocer shopping day to thoe I did not ge you I will be back, you are not forgoton
    :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: Marie
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    I'd like to share something I read today. To calculate the limit of added sugars in your diet take 10% of your target # of calories per day and & divide by 4(# of grams in a tsp of sugar). This should be your maximum sugar intake.

For me, at 1200 calories a day times 10% (120) divided by 4 it is 30 g per day. Notice the article said added sugar. That does not include the sugar found naturally in fruits and vegetables - something the My Fitness Pal database does NOT recognize.

So if you're over your sugar limit, look back at your food diary and see how much of it is "added" and how much is "natural."

Added would be in breads, cereals, cakes, cookies, sauces, catchup, and any other food where it appears on the label as an ingredient.

I'd better stop reading and get some work done.
    Options
    Hi all, hope you are all warm and toasty. We turned the heat up two degrees, it seems to help.. our heat pump was defrosting too much, and I for one was tired of the cool breeze!
    Lynn, I could have written your post..LOL.. I agree with you on all your subjects..as a matter of fact, the cats made me get up to give them breakfast, I had a cup of coffee and fell back to sleep..until this afternoon!! I had more coffee and a mini bagel with peanut butter to hopefully tide me over til dinner time.
    Sandy, I hope your son does well in trucking. I'm sure you've heard this already, it is not considered a good time to get into trucking, especially as an independent. However, it is not as bad as it could be..there are a lot of companies to lease onto that are still moving tons of freight every day..that is the key during these times of high costs..keep moving, no time off. Even though we are company employees..that is what we are trying to do. Except for this week..LOL.. we are just waiting for the roads to improve enough for us to leave our house..
    Hi Marie, yes it is bad here as far as roads being icy. I count it as a blessing that we did not lose power..it makes a big difference when you are indoors with heat and a full pantry! The secondary roads are somewhat passable, but not worth the risk to me. The driveways are where most of the residents are having problems..ours is sloped downhill and it is solid ice.
    Enough about that though.. Gayla good to hear from you- it must seem funny to you that we are housebound and you are out and about in much colder temps!! be safe sweet lady.
    I'm trying to make chicken and dumplings...keyword is trying.. we shall see..
    Marie, you and Jerry take it easy out shopping..I would hate for you to break down or something in the cold. When sammie goes out with Jerry, does he walk/run or does he get a free ride on the bike? I know you said he needs to lose weight, but his little feet must get cold.
    I let the cats go out for a few minutes today, just to prove to them that it is not the place to be!! Now they believe me, and they won't beg to go out anymore, until tomorrow!
    Barbie, you be ever so careful on that slippery ice. It could ruin your winter if you slip.
    Connie, your website looks like a good one, I have bookmarked it, and will go there when I finish this post..Thank you!
    Have you heard of net grams of carbs? The diet Marie introduced to me..Metabolism Miracle..teaches about them. Basically it is total carbs minus fiber = net carbs.
    talk to you later!
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    Wow, I was busy today. I had my youngest grandson who will be 1 on 2/2. He's a sweetie but he's so busy! Trying to walk. He can do it but it looks like he wants to get to his destination quicker so he drops and crawls. He'll be here again tomorrow so Oh Boy. Counts as calories burned, right? So far, so good on the food and exercise. I need more water and it seems like I don't have the time to drink it. How can that be???:huh:

I ordered one of those armband from Ebay and the 6 month program, too. I got the one used on the Biggest Loser. Man, are those things expensive new.:grumble:

It's freezing cold here today. Snow wasn't much but it's very windy so it is blowing across the roads and freezing. I do not have to go out....YIPPEE!!! :happy:

Be good and be careful!!! OK, be good OR be careful.....:laugh:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Phoebe, What a nice surprise to hear from you again.
    When Jerry and sammy goes out for the walk Jerry take my 3 wheeler with a basket and put Sammy in the back in the basket and takes him off far enought so he has to walk home. Other wise he may not go very far. At night Jerry goes on his bike and Sometimes Sammy Will go and sometimes he will not.You want catch me out in this weather. It really wasn't bad this morning It was cold but no wind and the sun was out. i
    I am searching the web for a pear a pear muffin that that too many calories. I boufht a bag of them and had one for lunch yummy!!!!! A pear not a muffin. I read somewhere that a real ripe per makes good muffin like a real ripe banana
    I bought some flannel this morning at Walmart and plan on making a rag quilt someday. to get my mind off of food Linettte makes them all the time.You stay warm Love Marie I worry about you and jim out on the road so much in the winter time.
    Options
    no need to worry about us, I let Jim do all the bad road driving!! he is an old timer at this stuff. he is the best I've seen at common sense driving. I've tried pears before, it makes the recipe turn out about like baking with peach slices. They need added seasoning with pears more than peaches or it will be bland. our neighbors gave us a gift from cracker barrel, a jar of fried apples and some kind of package of fruit crisp topping. I'm going to make it tonight just to get it out of the house.. of course I'm not making it to eat it!! LOL.. what a fibber I am.
    That sounds cute about Jerry and sammy, have you taken their picture?
    Our friends (truckers too) are driving to make a delivery in GA today, they are on facebook, and she said they went 35 miles in two hours.. they are almost at their destination, I'm sure they are tired.. she took a picture of the roads and all the traffic. The roads have ice and bare spots, but the bridges are solid ice. So, I'm glad I am at home. I'm washing rugs, blankets and cushions today..
    Does Linette use a pattern for her rag rugs.. I have been planning to do that for years.. I want to add a lot of denim into mine, I like the color and texture of it. It would be great with flannel.
    take care, stay warm!

oops I thought I read rag rug in your post, but I see you wrote rag quilt.. what is that? how do you do it?