Pregnancy 2011 - January

Options

Replies

• Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    How do some of you function when you feel sick all the time and have to maintain a full-time job? I have just entered my second trimester, and everyone says it should get better. This last week has been far worse. I suffered from migraines a bit before pregnancy, and now I get them so much more! I asked my doctor, and all she said was I was dehydrated and to drink more water. That is a preventative but it doesn't help when they hit. Anyway, I try really hard. I flavor my water etc... but this week I had a couple days were I was so nauseous that I could hardly keep anything down... well that obviously leads to dehydration which results in a horrible migraine the next day. This is the first time I have had a migraine for two days straight. I try to sleep it off, put hot pads on my head, take Tylenol etc... but I cannot knock the edge. I also cannot keep anything down during this time. It is getting frustrating, my hours this week at work took a hit. Any recommendations? I have a doctor's appointment on Monday, so I will ask yet again. But any other suggestions would be great.
  • Rachickidee
    Options
    Yay, I am glad I found this. My name is Rachael. I am 12 weeks pregnant and so excited. This will be my first baby. :) I am excited to find people with the same goals and who will also help motivate and inspire.

Some of my challenges currently are getting enough water (it makes me sick in the morning, and I don't want to wake up all night going to the bathroom if I drink too much in the evening). Any recommendations? And getting enough protein. My doctor told me that I should be getting 90 grams of protein a day. I realized I normally only ate about 40-50. So this a huge jump. I have been eating eggs, yogurt, milk and protein shakes. For some reason I can hardly stand chicken or fish any more. It just makes me sick.(The joys of morning sickness :) ) How do any of you get enough protein?

I finally buckled down and got my Zofran prescription! Hallelujah, yesterday was a totally different day. I should have done that sooner. Congrats to all of you mommy's to be and good luck to those trying.

Hi Rachael,

I am 16 weeks preg. with my third child and I had horrible morning, afternoon and evening sickness LOL. I could not drink water at all until about last week. I found this very frustrating because before I became preg. I drank tons of water. What worked best for me was drinking juice. I also watered down my juice a bit and this seemed to help. I hope that you are feeling well soon!!
    Michelle

Hey thanks for that. I will have to give it a try.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    How do some of you function when you feel sick all the time and have to maintain a full-time job? I have just entered my second trimester, and everyone says it should get better. This last week has been far worse. I suffered from migraines a bit before pregnancy, and now I get them so much more! I asked my doctor, and all she said was I was dehydrated and to drink more water. That is a preventative but it doesn't help when they hit. Anyway, I try really hard. I flavor my water etc... but this week I had a couple days were I was so nauseous that I could hardly keep anything down... well that obviously leads to dehydration which results in a horrible migraine the next day. This is the first time I have had a migraine for two days straight. I try to sleep it off, put hot pads on my head, take Tylenol etc... but I cannot knock the edge. I also cannot keep anything down during this time. It is getting frustrating, my hours this week at work took a hit. Any recommendations? I have a doctor's appointment on Monday, so I will ask yet again. But any other suggestions would be great.

Have you tried sparkling water, sprite, coke, juice, tea, any liquid is better than none.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water (either plain or flavored -- but not sweetened) definitely helped me get in enough water. I think it took an edge off the nausea, too. Sorry you're feeling so poorly. I've been feeling better in general for teh last several days but I've been having a problem with headaches for the past 1.5 weeks or so. But no migraines.
    I hadn't had a headache in months and months and last week I got a terrible one that lasted for 4 days. It made me nauseous and the pain radiated from my forehead all the way down my neck to my shoulders. :frown: Nothing I tried helped very much. I broke down and took 500mg Tylenol and the headache still lingered for another day or so after that. I've had a couple this week, too, but fortunately they've been less severe.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    So Wed I was having back pains - I spoke too soon when I said the worst pain I have felt in my life - considering it got at least 3 time worse by end of day! I ended up unable to get out of bed and had to call my hubby home from work to take me to the ER. Well, he got home and could not get me up either, I was screaming the nerve pain was so bad. So the ambulance had to come and he and the paramedics lift me out of bed. They wouldn't give me anything on the ride or when I got there because I was pregnant, but finally they gave me some narcotics and an MRI. The Dr said it was one of the largest herniated discs he'd ever seen and it was pressing all the nerves in my back flat. So they kept me overnight and Thursday decided to do surgery. I'm back home today but very sore - though nothing compared to Wednesday! Not a fun addition to pregnancy! And now I have to lay off the gym for who knows how long. We're sending my 3 yr old back to AZ with his aunt tomorrow for a few weeks, maybe 6! - she's just flying in and picking him up and leaving so I don't have to try to take care of him and work. Oh, and we're moving in 4 weeks too - so I think now I will just be "managing" my hubby moving everything. They did do an ultrasound before taking me down to surgery though and they could not tell, but said they thought it looked like a boy. Fingers crossed and I find out for sure in a week and a 1/2. Hopefully my back heals up well too and does not have any ill effects here out.

Yikes. So sorry you had to go through all that. I hope you're feeling much better very soon!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    My Target had no good sales :C Maybe its in certain states. Mine only had christmas baby stuff on sale.

I went and it was mostly gone at our target. I got a pack of lap pads really cheap. But everything else was christmas or would be too warm for him to wear hear in April.
  • ckmama
    Options
    There's a girl on Facebook that I was friends with in college that is having twins, and she got two cribs for cheaper than the regular price of one at Target yesterday. I need to go. I thought we were going to be able to borrow a crib, but both of the ones that were offered to us have the sides that come down...aren't those recalled due to safety? All the ones I've seen in stores now do not come down.

I bought mine today at Babies r us...right off the floor $199. It was the last of the color I liked. I could have gotten a dark coffee wood, but there were reviews that said it scratched easily. I looked at the target cribs and almost bought one of the ones on clearence but reviews online complained of the wood splintering. I would just do research before you bought anything. BBRU has several cribs on clearance on their website. I would just read reviews. Don't use the drop down, all of those have been recalled. I know people used them for years (that's the first thing people say), but I promise those moms who have lost children wouldn't advice it.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options

I am going through the SAME THING. and have found no solutions :C I have been so lucky to have all week off due to the weather but the past couple weeks have been so horrible at work. I have my dr. apt. monday too... maybe one of us will get the answer.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    There's a girl on Facebook that I was friends with in college that is having twins, and she got two cribs for cheaper than the regular price of one at Target yesterday. I need to go. I thought we were going to be able to borrow a crib, but both of the ones that were offered to us have the sides that come down...aren't those recalled due to safety? All the ones I've seen in stores now do not come down.

I bought mine today at Babies r us...right off the floor $199. It was the last of the color I liked. I could have gotten a dark coffee wood, but there were reviews that said it scratched easily. I looked at the target cribs and almost bought one of the ones on clearence but reviews online complained of the wood splintering. I would just do research before you bought anything. BBRU has several cribs on clearance on their website. I would just read reviews. Don't use the drop down, all of those have been recalled. I know people used them for years (that's the first thing people say), but I promise those moms who have lost children wouldn't advice it.

I cannot believe I had no idea those have been recalled. I have been using the same crib with all of my kids and it has the drop down side. My two year old is in it currently and I have never had a problem with the side coming down. Where have I been? Geez.
  • ckmama
    Options

I cannot believe I had no idea those have been recalled. I have been using the same crib with all of my kids and it has the drop down side. My two year old is in it currently and I have never had a problem with the side coming down. Where have I been? Geez.

My sister still has my nephews from 12 years ago and offered it up. But i found out they had pretty much all been recalled. They don't even hardly sell the ones I used 8 years ago with the side that folds down. You just have to bend over and pick your baby up. No more taking it easy on mommies back and stomach muscles. LOL>
  • Rachickidee
    Options

Have you tried sparkling water, sprite, coke, juice, tea, any liquid is better than none.

Yes, I have tried sprite, flavored water and tea. I do drink quite a bit. It's just days when I can't keep anything at all down is the problem. Also, is coke ok? I loved it when I got migraines pre-pregnancy but my doctor said to stay away from caffeine.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Yes, I have tried sprite, flavored water and tea. I do drink quite a bit. It's just days when I can't keep anything at all down is the problem. Also, is coke ok? I loved it when I got migraines pre-pregnancy but my doctor said to stay away from caffeine.

Mama a coke is ok. I am not big on drinking caffeine, but if that helps your headache and gets you some hydration, who gives a crap what your OB says. You aren't smoking dope, LOL. You are an intelligent mama, do you really think a coke will harm you or the baby?
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    So Wed I was having back pains - I spoke too soon when I said the worst pain I have felt in my life - considering it got at least 3 time worse by end of day! I ended up unable to get out of bed and had to call my hubby home from work to take me to the ER. Well, he got home and could not get me up either, I was screaming the nerve pain was so bad. So the ambulance had to come and he and the paramedics lift me out of bed. They wouldn't give me anything on the ride or when I got there because I was pregnant, but finally they gave me some narcotics and an MRI. The Dr said it was one of the largest herniated discs he'd ever seen and it was pressing all the nerves in my back flat. So they kept me overnight and Thursday decided to do surgery. I'm back home today but very sore - though nothing compared to Wednesday! Not a fun addition to pregnancy! And now I have to lay off the gym for who knows how long. We're sending my 3 yr old back to AZ with his aunt tomorrow for a few weeks, maybe 6! - she's just flying in and picking him up and leaving so I don't have to try to take care of him and work. Oh, and we're moving in 4 weeks too - so I think now I will just be "managing" my hubby moving everything. They did do an ultrasound before taking me down to surgery though and they could not tell, but said they thought it looked like a boy. Fingers crossed and I find out for sure in a week and a 1/2. Hopefully my back heals up well too and does not have any ill effects here out.

Oh My Goodness! I sure hope you heal quickly! *hugs* {{{{{{ get well vibes}}}}}
  • ckmama
    Options

Caffeine is okay in extreme moderation. 1/2 a coke or even a whole isn't going to hurt you or your baby. I have 1/2 cup of fairly average strenghth coffee every day. Of course no other caffeine. My SIL drinks a cup and has a coke during the day. Here is what the Mayo clinic has to say.

Avoid excess caffeine
    Caffeine can cross the placenta and affect your baby's heart rate. Some studies suggest that drinking too much caffeine may be associated with a small decrease in birth weight or an increased risk of miscarriage and stillbirth. In fact, a large 2008 study suggests that 200 milligrams (mg) of caffeine a day — about a 12-ounce cup (354 milliliters) of brewed coffee — during pregnancy may slow fetal growth.

Because of the potential effects on your developing baby, your health care provider may recommend limiting the amount of caffeine in your diet to less than 200 mg a day during pregnancy.

---12 ounces of coke has 35 mg of caffeine
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to work overnights ( like tonight!) and I drink half a coke. I think it's better than diet actually. It helps me stay awake. Ever since pregnancy, I don't like the taste of coffee....and I loved it!!
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

Every pregnancy I have had caffeine including this one. I drink a cup or two cups of coffee every morning and usually a coke in the afternoon. I have never had any problems whatsoever. All of my babies have been born right at or past due dates and good size babies (last one 9lbs 4ozs). My blood pressure is always fine and baby's heartrate has been consistant. I also recommend Gatorade to try to hydrate. When I had the stomach flu and couldn't eat or keep anything down this is what my doctor recommended. For the most part it stayed down. Hope your headaches improve.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    :smile: So my husband and I have purchased our baby furniture and baby bedding but nothing else. We have gotten a couple of gifts from family at christmas for the baby. We decided to try to wait till we know the sex to purchase most anything else.... BUT yesterday at target I got the cutest little christmas socks. size 0-6 months.... they were so small and made it feel SO real. Plus it was 3 pairs for 1 dollar :smile:

I thought that I was not getting any bigger but I tried on some of my regular shirts and they looked so bad on me! They were so tight. I have been getting so sick I just thought no chance I would need new shirts that soon.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Ann Taylor loft is 40% off your entire purchase if you use the code ENTIRE. I didn't get anything because it was still too much for me but incase you ladies wanted to know!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

They also recalled a ton of strollers because if you leave your kid in it unstrapped and unattended there is the chance that they could slip out the leg holes and get stuck. Key words being - unstrapped and unattended...... maybe they should recall strollers in general because if you leave them unattended on a hill they might roll... oh wait, they probably did recall all the ones w/out wheel locks on them....
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My sister still has my nephews from 12 years ago and offered it up. But i found out they had pretty much all been recalled. They don't even hardly sell the ones I used 8 years ago with the side that folds down. You just have to bend over and pick your baby up. No more taking it easy on mommies back and stomach muscles. LOL>

This is the first time a crib has sounded appealing to me! I had a pack and play with my 1st (we're just using it again as the crib w this one) but I could not bend over to put him down. I had to hold his armpits then sort of droop him down slowly dangling him by one arm. Not good I am sure, but between a Csection and my back (it was pretty bad around first preg too, not this bad, but bad) I could not lean forward at all. It was interesting getting him in and out of crib. Could not have been comfortable on him!!