Pregnancy 2011 - January

Options

Replies

• Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Not every drop down side crib has been recalled, but drop down side cribs are no longer being made. I am getting rid of ours, that Eiley is in. Finnian is in a portable crib. I prefer those b/c they are smaller. I think I will just put Eiley on her crib mattress, in a few months, next to Ellery in the night and slide it under Ellery's bed during the day. I just found out Finnian's crib has been recalled. I am going to buy a full size crib for him, since he is a big boy. The baby will sleep w/ me for 6 months or more then I will get a new portable crib for the baby when the time comes. I cannot decide on colors though. I am not replacing their dresser, it is white. I love white baby furniture, but thought about something different this time. Ellery's bed, in the same room, is white iron.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

I cannot believe I had no idea those have been recalled. I have been using the same crib with all of my kids and it has the drop down side. My two year old is in it currently and I have never had a problem with the side coming down. Where have I been? Geez.

They also recalled a ton of strollers because if you leave your kid in it unstrapped and unattended there is the chance that they could slip out the leg holes and get stuck. Key words being - unstrapped and unattended...... maybe they should recall strollers in general because if you leave them unattended on a hill they might roll... oh wait, they probably did recall all the ones w/out wheel locks on them....

We actually had one of these strollers. But we weren't using it at the time b/c my son was too big. But I never put him in his stroller not strapped in. He was too much of a monkey for that. I had given the stroller and car seat combo to a waitress at IHOP who was desperate and pregnant with her 5th baby.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome!

So, I'm 32, been married for 2 years now. I have a 14 year old daughter, and can't wait to have another one. Unfortunately is just isn't happening. I went off of birth control when we got married, and started charting a month later. Seems to me I'm ovulating regularly, and everything appears to be fine on my end. Except I am over weight so I'm sure that has a little to do with it. My hubby has a low count, so it looks like we are going to need some help getting there.

Anyway, so thats me. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys!

I was 33 when I talked to my doctor. I gave up trying when I hit my 34th bday a month later, then 3 weeks later we were pregnant. She said at 33 once I'd tried for 6 months with no success I should get in touch with her. When y ou are younger they say a year or 2. She said the chances of conceiving after 35 drop. Not that it doesn't happen. But i wouldn't wait too long.
    Congrats!! Thats great! I saw my OB last January and said when I was ready I could make an appointment with the fertility dr. I finally made the appointment, but he was booked 3 months out so we couldn't see him until December. Then we had a death in the family and some other things going on, so we had to cancel. Just couldn't afford it. So, hopefully I can reschedule that appointment soon.
  • ckmama
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome!

So, I'm 32, been married for 2 years now. I have a 14 year old daughter, and can't wait to have another one. Unfortunately is just isn't happening. I went off of birth control when we got married, and started charting a month later. Seems to me I'm ovulating regularly, and everything appears to be fine on my end. Except I am over weight so I'm sure that has a little to do with it. My hubby has a low count, so it looks like we are going to need some help getting there.

Anyway, so thats me. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys!

I was 33 when I talked to my doctor. I gave up trying when I hit my 34th bday a month later, then 3 weeks later we were pregnant. She said at 33 once I'd tried for 6 months with no success I should get in touch with her. When y ou are younger they say a year or 2. She said the chances of conceiving after 35 drop. Not that it doesn't happen. But i wouldn't wait too long.
    Congrats!! Thats great! I saw my OB last January and said when I was ready I could make an appointment with the fertility dr. I finally made the appointment, but he was booked 3 months out so we couldn't see him until December. Then we had a death in the family and some other things going on, so we had to cancel. Just couldn't afford it. So, hopefully I can reschedule that appointment soon.

I'm sure it will happen for you. My SIL is 41 and her baby is due in 8 weeks...totally unplanned. The only reason I was concerened is b/c I had an ectopic about 4 years ago. I'm sure it's just a timing thing.
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    They also recalled a ton of strollers because if you leave your kid in it unstrapped and unattended there is the chance that they could slip out the leg holes and get stuck. Key words being - unstrapped and unattended...... maybe they should recall strollers in general because if you leave them unattended on a hill they might roll... oh wait, they probably did recall all the ones w/out wheel locks on them....
    In Canada the government has banned "walkers", you, know those baby things with wheels that let the baby walk before they can walk..

as much as I want to say it's b/c people are stupid and don't gate off stairs, this actually happened to my little brother.
    my parents had (me & my sisters 3 young school age children getting ready for school, when my 8 month old brother woke up. my dad put him in the walker, but didn't lock the gate at the top of the stairs. my brother fell down 10 stairs and smashed his mouth on the cement floor. knocked out 4 top teeth and damaged the adult teeth buds so badly they were malformed when they grew in @ 6 y/o. so badly that the dentist had to pull two of them and cap the other two. they never used it after that. i don't know what my parents did with it.

there have been times that I've wished my kids could have one, b/c it's always cute watching little babies motor around. but for safety's sake, I'm glad they aren't available anymore.
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    I like all of your names... we have four for each. Tell me which is your favorite.

Girls:
    Addison Arlene
    Reagan Arlene
    Elise Arlene
    Harper Arlene

Boys:
    Carter Moore
    Mason Moore
    Calvin Moore
    Ethan Moore

My favorites are:

Addison Arlene and Ethan Moore :-)
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    So Wed I was having back pains - I spoke too soon when I said the worst pain I have felt in my life - considering it got at least 3 time worse by end of day! I ended up unable to get out of bed and had to call my hubby home from work to take me to the ER. Well, he got home and could not get me up either, I was screaming the nerve pain was so bad. So the ambulance had to come and he and the paramedics lift me out of bed. They wouldn't give me anything on the ride or when I got there because I was pregnant, but finally they gave me some narcotics and an MRI. The Dr said it was one of the largest herniated discs he'd ever seen and it was pressing all the nerves in my back flat. So they kept me overnight and Thursday decided to do surgery. I'm back home today but very sore - though nothing compared to Wednesday! Not a fun addition to pregnancy! And now I have to lay off the gym for who knows how long. We're sending my 3 yr old back to AZ with his aunt tomorrow for a few weeks, maybe 6! - she's just flying in and picking him up and leaving so I don't have to try to take care of him and work. Oh, and we're moving in 4 weeks too - so I think now I will just be "managing" my hubby moving everything. They did do an ultrasound before taking me down to surgery though and they could not tell, but said they thought it looked like a boy. Fingers crossed and I find out for sure in a week and a 1/2. Hopefully my back heals up well too and does not have any ill effects here out.

OMG!!! That is awful. I am glad you guys called the ambulance rather than trying to suffer through the pain. It must have scared your little guy to have his mom in so much pain!

So how long will it take to heal? On the bright side, since they did surgery... you shouldn't have this problem again? Or will it be a life long thing?
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Went to target and am sooooo happy I did!!! I got the crib I have been dreaming of, but never thought I could afford for half price!! It is normally 269.99 and I got it for 134.99. It was the last crib they had too. I came straight home and put it together by myself. It was actually really easy. Here's the link for my absolutely beautiful crib that will grow with baby: http://www.target.com/JUST-Made-Carters-White-Crib/dp/B0037DY8VE/ref=br_1_1?ie=UTF8&id=JUST Made Carters White Crib&node=371871011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid3&searchPage=1&sr=1-1&qid=1295035024&rh=target_com_brand-bin:First Choice|target_com_brand-bin:Just One Year&searchBinNameList=style_name,finish_types-bin,target_com_primary_color-bin,price,collection_name-bin,item_styling,target_com_brand-bin&searchRank=pmrank&frombrowse=1

Wow that's a long link. I also got a pack n' play with a bassinet option for 49.01 when it was 69.99. It's pretty darn cute. Aside from getting a mattress and maybe a bed set, I am done until after baby shower (if I end up having one). Sooooooo glad I am on this thread and got the target tip!

That is super cute!!! I can't wait for it to be time for me to start setting up the baby room!
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Arrived back home this morning after the worse flight of my life back from Hawaii. It was overnight... and I must not have drank enough water that day because my legs started swelling before I even got on the plane, which was delayed by two hours. I was soooo uncomfortable, and the pilot was seatbelt light happy. So hardly could get up and stretch at all.

Also now that I am back home I am sick again! Not sure if the warmer weather on vacation made it so I felt good, or what? My husband is teasing me that it is all in my head. But really the morning (ie all day) sickness is back with a vengence. No throwing up just feeling like I am about to!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I went to Target today & it was a bust. :ohwell: Almost nothing on clearance (it appeared there wasn't much on clearance in the first place at this location) and the place was seriously PACKED full of a-hole adults and screaming kids. If I wasn't already pregnant, the experience would have made me seriously 2nd guess having children at all. :laugh: I did end up with a pair of shoes the baby will grow into eventually (my husband was born with size 2 feet so I'm afraid to buy anything smaller than a size 3 right now. Today I got a size 4 just in case. :laugh:), 3 pairs of holiday socks, and a couple of long sleeved footie sleepers for next winter. I paid $10 for all of that so not so bad. There are 3 other Targets in town but after my experience at the first one I was really irritable so I just gave up & came home.

joonz -- my ms let up for a week or so around 8-9 weeks & reappeared with a vengeance between 9-10, too. From what I've heard and read, it seems to be a common thing. So, no, it's likely not all in your head. :wink:

Does anyone here use cloth diapers? I'm pretty sure I will be but I haven't settled on a brand or even style yet (though I'm pretty sure I *won't* be doing all-in-ones). Fuzzibunz seem to be the ones with the best reviews from what I can tell. Any opinions/advice? I haven't decided for sure yet, but I think we may end up using disposables for a month or so because most of the cloth diapers I've seen are for 10lbs+ and I don't want to have to buy a bunch in a newborn size and then have to turn around and immediately buy another stash to fit a bigger baby. Who knows, my husband was a 10 pound baby (please no), so I may not even need the newborn size at all and then I'll have wasted hundreds of dollars. Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions about types/brands.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Does anyone here use cloth diapers? I'm pretty sure I will be but I haven't settled on a brand or even style yet (though I'm pretty sure I *won't* be doing all-in-ones). Fuzzibunz seem to be the ones with the best reviews from what I can tell. Any opinions/advice? I haven't decided for sure yet, but I think we may end up using disposables for a month or so because most of the cloth diapers I've seen are for 10lbs+ and I don't want to have to buy a bunch in a newborn size and then have to turn around and immediately buy another stash to fit a bigger baby. Who knows, my husband was a 10 pound baby (please no), so I may not even need the newborn size at all and then I'll have wasted hundreds of dollars. Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions about types/brands.

I have always used cloth. My preference is velcro covers, usually Bummis or Thirsties and prefolds or flats. I have had a few 9lb and 10lber and small fit for a long time. A few of mine needed preemie though. You just never know. I like Thirsties and Bummis b/c they have wide size range and fit well. The smalls fit 8-15lbs, medium 15-30 or so. I love prefolds, but flats dry very fast. I also use a few nylon pullons and snappis.
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Went to target and am sooooo happy I did!!! I got the crib I have been dreaming of, but never thought I could afford for half price!! It is normally 269.99 and I got it for 134.99. It was the last crib they had too. I came straight home and put it together by myself. It was actually really easy. Here's the link for my absolutely beautiful crib that will grow with baby: http://www.target.com/JUST-Made-Carters-White-Crib/dp/B0037DY8VE/ref=br_1_1?ie=UTF8&id=JUST Made Carters White Crib&node=371871011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid3&searchPage=1&sr=1-1&qid=1295035024&rh=target_com_brand-bin:First Choice|target_com_brand-bin:Just One Year&searchBinNameList=style_name,finish_types-bin,target_com_primary_color-bin,price,collection_name-bin,item_styling,target_com_brand-bin&searchRank=pmrank&frombrowse=1

Wow that's a long link. I also got a pack n' play with a bassinet option for 49.01 when it was 69.99. It's pretty darn cute. Aside from getting a mattress and maybe a bed set, I am done until after baby shower (if I end up having one). Sooooooo glad I am on this thread and got the target tip!

Soo.... We went to Target and bought the exact same crib! :laugh: We had planned on doing a cherry color crib, but when we saw that one (and the price, lol) I really liked it. Also, we thought about the fact that when my husband builds the dresser and changing table (I love being married to a carpenter...) it will be so much easier to match white than a stained wood. I can't wait to put her room together but I guess that means I actually have to be able to move into our house....which still looks like a while away. So for now, here's to shacking up at the In-laws house! Pray for me! :laugh: Our lease was up on our rented house today so we're all out. At least that's one thing out of the way. No to just make it through this transitional period...and not stress too much!
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options

I have always used cloth. My preference is velcro covers, usually Bummis or Thirsties and prefolds or flats. I have had a few 9lb and 10lber and small fit for a long time. A few of mine needed preemie though. You just never know. I like Thirsties and Bummis b/c they have wide size range and fit well. The smalls fit 8-15lbs, medium 15-30 or so. I love prefolds, but flats dry very fast. I also use a few nylon pullons and snappis.

I would really like to sue cloth but I haven't researched or know very much about them. I need to start looking at that. Any opinions/advice are welcome!
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice on caffeine. I really appreciate it. :) I think it will do wonders just to be able to have a coke when I get a migraine. I figured it would probably be ok, but I also didn't want to take chances on doing anything that could harm my baby.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I went to Target today & it was a bust. :ohwell: Almost nothing on clearance (it appeared there wasn't much on clearance in the first place at this location) and the place was seriously PACKED full of a-hole adults and screaming kids. If I wasn't already pregnant, the experience would have made me seriously 2nd guess having children at all. :laugh: I did end up with a pair of shoes the baby will grow into eventually (my husband was born with size 2 feet so I'm afraid to buy anything smaller than a size 3 right now. Today I got a size 4 just in case. :laugh:), 3 pairs of holiday socks, and a couple of long sleeved footie sleepers for next winter. I paid $10 for all of that so not so bad. There are 3 other Targets in town but after my experience at the first one I was really irritable so I just gave up & came home..

I bet we got the same holiday socks :D
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    So Wed I was having back pains - I spoke too soon when I said the worst pain I have felt in my life - considering it got at least 3 time worse by end of day! I ended up unable to get out of bed and had to call my hubby home from work to take me to the ER. Well, he got home and could not get me up either, I was screaming the nerve pain was so bad. So the ambulance had to come and he and the paramedics lift me out of bed. They wouldn't give me anything on the ride or when I got there because I was pregnant, but finally they gave me some narcotics and an MRI. The Dr said it was one of the largest herniated discs he'd ever seen and it was pressing all the nerves in my back flat. So they kept me overnight and Thursday decided to do surgery. I'm back home today but very sore - though nothing compared to Wednesday! Not a fun addition to pregnancy! And now I have to lay off the gym for who knows how long. We're sending my 3 yr old back to AZ with his aunt tomorrow for a few weeks, maybe 6! - she's just flying in and picking him up and leaving so I don't have to try to take care of him and work. Oh, and we're moving in 4 weeks too - so I think now I will just be "managing" my hubby moving everything. They did do an ultrasound before taking me down to surgery though and they could not tell, but said they thought it looked like a boy. Fingers crossed and I find out for sure in a week and a 1/2. Hopefully my back heals up well too and does not have any ill effects here out.

OMG!!! That is awful. I am glad you guys called the ambulance rather than trying to suffer through the pain. It must have scared your little guy to have his mom in so much pain!

So how long will it take to heal? On the bright side, since they did surgery... you shouldn't have this problem again? Or will it be a life long thing?

Yeah. I am glad an ambulance was covered (well, hoping they cover it!) because there was no way he was getting me up by himself. I think the little guy was probably pretty content with the whole process once they started giving me narcotics :laugh: :laugh:

Hopefully this will be the end of the major pain for a while. I might need some fusions down the road and have a couple degenerative discs as well. Sucks for being not even 29, but I held off on anything drastic since my first MRI at 20 when they first even considered surgery. Hopefully further surgeries will be years down the road too. I am just thankful I was insured when this happened or I can't even imagine.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Do your babes ever figure out how to undo the velcro ones? I read about that as well as people having a problem with them sticking together in the wash (probably a user error) which had me leaning toward the ones with snaps. Though it seems like babies could figure out how to undo the snaps almost just as easily. I hate having so many choices! :laugh:

AnneElise -- I bet we did get the same socks. :tongue: I wish I knew if I was having a girl -- I loved the ones that look like socks & Mary Janes but thought I'd better just get the gender neutral ones.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Littlespy- I KNOW! I got a pair of those for my niece! but since we don't know yet I just got the socks :smile:

Well ladies, I officially feel like crap this morning. I feel worse when the night before I keep NOTHING down. We had a going away party for some good friends last night... they decided everyone would have to drink each time I threw up (hah) oh the joys of pregnancy. We left at 10:00, I just felt dead.

So I did a poll on babycenter about my baby names and SO many people chose Ethan for a boy (as they did on here). Hubby and I had been thinking about that one seriously but then we looked and its number 2 on the top 100 names for 2010... thats too popular for us. No wonder everyone likes it!
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Littlespy- I KNOW! I got a pair of those for my niece! but since we don't know yet I just got the socks :smile:

Well ladies, I officially feel like crap this morning. I feel worse when the night before I keep NOTHING down. We had a going away party for some good friends last night... they decided everyone would have to drink each time I threw up (hah) oh the joys of pregnancy. We left at 10:00, I just felt dead.

So I did a poll on babycenter about my baby names and SO many people chose Ethan for a boy (as they did on here). Hubby and I had been thinking about that one seriously but then we looked and its number 2 on the top 100 names for 2010... thats too popular for us. No wonder everyone likes it!

I am sorry you felt so yucky. :( No fun. I agree about Ethan. My husband and I thought it was a nice name, but I know so many Ethan's already, and it is too high on the popularity list for us too. Good luck on your hunt..
  • ckmama
    Options

We almost chose ethan with our first, then with this one as well. It is so common that we aren't going with it. BUT, I do like it. My first son has a common name and when we go places we hear people saying it and he gets confused. But i still like his name.