Like Minded Lushes - January 2011

Options

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! I plan on having a couple of beers or some wine tonight but not too much. I am snowshoeing for the first time this season tomorrow and need to have all my energy. Tomorrow night will be a different story I'm sure. I love to reward myself for tough outdoor activities! :drinker:
    sounds like fun. I really want to try it sometime. I heard that tomorrow was free snowshoe day a lot of places.

We never pay. We just go hit the trails in the area. We really try to avoid all the ski traffic. Hoping for good snow!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Howdy Lushes!

This was my first full week attempting no booze during the week, made it Mon thru Thurs! 1st time in a long time I've done that! I'll probably have some wine and beer this weekend and am planning to make Sunday a 0 booze day from now on. My body seems to be agreeing with the new plan as I lost 3 lbs from Mon to Thurs! Normally I lose 3 in a month (we'll see how the weekend plays into the full week tally).

Have a fabulous weekend!!!!
    :drinker:
    JoJo
  • CJKJ
    CJKJ Posts: 3
    Options
    Just joined the forums, and I think I may have found the group I'm looking for!!

There's a bottle of very nice red wine, with a good glass left in it just calling to me across the room.
    I shall resist!!!!

This weekend is going to be tough staying off the booze, our local is pretty much a second home.
    Luckily quite a few people are cutting back this January so at least I won't get the usual "not drinking? are you pregnant?"

Yes I'm overweight, but I don't actually look pregnant!!

On with the tonic water!!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Just joined the forums, and I think I may have found the group I'm looking for!!

There's a bottle of very nice red wine, with a good glass left in it just calling to me across the room.
    I shall resist!!!!

This weekend is going to be tough staying off the booze, our local is pretty much a second home.
    Luckily quite a few people are cutting back this January so at least I won't get the usual "not drinking? are you pregnant?"

Yes I'm overweight, but I don't actually look pregnant!!

On with the tonic water!!
    be sure its diet tonic or soda or seltzer. regular tonic water is just like a full sugar soda.
  • maryellengallagher
    Options
    bump
  • rjadams
    Options
    to wine or not to wine, that is the question. be it nobler to become a lush again or remain on the clean and healthy path?

I am leaning towards trying not to wine tonight so that I can tell myself I overcame the urge and the siren call of alcohol on a Friday night no less. I hope my will stays strong. I have to admit that walking/jogging 10 plus miles each day this week have helped me stay away. I am so tired at night I don't need it to feel sleepy.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    You can do it Robin! (but if you don't...we still love you!) :smile:

I'm really wanting to NOT drink tonight, because we're hitting fondue and the bar tomorrow night. We'll most likely kill at least a bottle of pinot grigot at dinner, not to mention the before dinner drinks...and the zillion calories of food. Then, we're headed to downtown Denver to hear DH's friend's band play (Carbon Choir...anyone from Colorado should check 'em out!) and I know we'll drink a ton while at the bar. Maybe I'll just work out a ton tomorrow to make up for it.

However, my middle school talent show is tonight...at 7. School is out in about 1 minute. I get to stay here and run through the show multiple times, chaperon about 50 middle schoolers, and not lose my mind. I'm sure the vodka bottle will be a-callin' this evening!!
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the lushes who've met their non-drinking goals this week.

I still haven't firmly adopted the no drinking during the week approach, but have cut back significantly, had several nights this week with no wine, and have made sure that I counted and exercised off every last calorie of what I did drink.

Now here it is Friday night, I'm exhausted from a long week and work and some pretty strenuous medical tests today and all that I hear calling to me is this wonderful bottle of pinot noir in the wine fridge. I don't have the energy to exercise those calories off tonight.

So, do I give in and just double my exercise tomorrow to make up for it?
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Cheers to a great weekend Lushes!! I toast to you with a cup of green tea, LOL!
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Cheers to a great weekend Lushes!! I toast to you with a cup of green tea, LOL!

But I so prefer it to be a glass of red :drinker:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options
    Good evening lovely lushies! May I drop in from time to time?

Tonight is BEER FRIDAY for me, going to eat a piece of pizza too, at the square dance. Tommorrow it will be champagne in the hot tub with DH, but Sunday, well, it's usually empty-the-beer-jug day in prep for DDsO Mon-Thurs... we'll see,

My favorite substitutes are Torani sugar free syrup (Irish creme or Amaretto) and seltzer after work, (or club soda, splenda and True Lime at the saloon), and just before bed, 2 cups of SleepyTime with Vanilla herb tea, sweetened with Torani sugar free Butter Rum syrup.

Yumm, but not as good as tonight's beer and pizza will taste...
    ;)
  • rjadams
    Options
    minor fail. half a bottle of my favorite old vine zinfandel with the homade chili for dinner. It was sooo good. but now it is back to water.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options
    Just got back from first hoedown of the year, featuring the Hokum High Fliers from Idaho, and my hair stylist's maiden calling voyage. Sweet young pregnant couple loaned me the hubby for a squaredance. While spinning dizzily, ran into my Parish Administrator and the Scottish dance club treasurer...God I love Boise!

Too bad the second Sierra Nevada led right to a bag of peanut M&Ms and another bag of Rolled gold pretzels... ;(

Now for the Sleepytime tea, sleep sweet lovely lushies!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Well done to those of you sticking to your goals. I stuck to my 'goal' of not really having any rules (that was a tough one!) so this week has been some alcohol free nights but more where I've had one or two drinks. Last night I had Chinese takeaway and 3 glasses of red wine, I hardly ever have takeaway so it was thoroughly enjoyed with no guilt :bigsmile: (I'm also refusing to listen to what the scales say this morning). Next week is my first whole week back in the routine of work etc so I'm gonna aim to get back in the pattern of drinking less, eating better and get back into my regular exercise routine.
  • mikki3
    mikki3 Posts: 63
    Options
    Way to go all of you who kept their goals this week! I managed to do quite well until Pity Party Thursday (long story, but it ended with a bottle of a very nice Californian Cab Sauv). It's the weekend, so I allowed myself two martinis with dinner last night (real ones, not grown-up kool-aid) and will probably do the same tonight.

Good luck next week!
  • Inpjs66
    Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Depending how often you drink, it will tough. I love my wine and one 5 oz. glass is 129 calories. If I drink 3 glasses at night (which isn't a lot) that is almost 400 calories. I hate it!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I did not drink last night! I was so wiped when we got home last night, we put the kids to bed and I took a long, hot bath, read a book, and crashed!

Of course, I've decided to be bad all day...Hubby and I are enjoying a mimosa (made with sparkling wine that we didn't drink on NYE) and then we're going to clean the garage. Romantic, no? So, no workout for me today, but I should burn some calories moving crap around! :0)
  • rjadams
    Options
    I did not drink last night! I was so wiped when we got home last night, we put the kids to bed and I took a long, hot bath, read a book, and crashed!

Of course, I've decided to be bad all day...Hubby and I are enjoying a mimosa (made with sparkling wine that we didn't drink on NYE) and then we're going to clean the garage. Romantic, no? So, no workout for me today, but I should burn some calories moving crap around! :0)
    we've been working on the garage all morning and just stopped for a homemade chili and beer break. I enjoyed a nice Newcastle. who knows what the rest of the day will bring.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    One strategy I've been trying is just not keeping it in the house paired with my basic cheapskate personality.

If I have to go out to a restaurant or bar to drink, then (a) I have to do so deliberately and I avoid mindless sipping at home which has had the tendency of adding up to some serious calories in the course of an evening; and (b) because it chaps my cheeks so much to pay $4 for a premium pint at my favorite brewpub or $5+ for a glass of wine or a margarita at a restaurant, my cheapskate nature limits me to one or two drinks when I go out.

Been doing this for about a month, and so far, it seems to be working. I'm down to about 2 drinks on our weekly Thursday date night; and one or two on either Fri or Sat out with "the gang."

(Oh, and if anyone is wondering, the profile pic is NOT me on a bender. . . it's me in community theater playing a brassy talent agent)
  • rjadams
    Options
    rose, I am glad your strategy is working for you. I can't do that because I have a super lush of a hubby who still weighs all of 150 just like he did 35 years ago. :grumble: so it is always in the house.