Fit For Future Families - January 2011

Options

Replies

• HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options

HM - I have to say that I'm not entirely good on netting over 1200 daily. I tend to fluctuate between 1200 and 1700 depending on the day and the meal. I've been so focused lately on keeping my sugars in check (IR because of the PCOS) that I have trouble finding foods that fit within the guidelines and so might skip more than I should. I do have my diary open though.....my day that I know I"m exercising weekly is Thursday (it's Aquafit day) so my sister and I have designated that our lunch out of the office day. We go every Thursday to Subway. I think you might have just hit me over the head on why I'm not losing as much as I did at the beginning (it was consistently 2lbs a week). I'm bumping it up to 1400 cals/day net this week. Let's see what happens.

Thanks, this and what Erica mentioned make complete sense to me. So you're having trouble netting 1200 per day too. Maybe I should up my net to 1300 or 1400 just to see if I lose. I've been stuck at the same weight for 2 days now, which is a 1.5 lb spike since Sunday (though I didn't cheat at all!). I think maybe I'm just not eating enough, despite constantly feeling satisfied. Mmm...subway. Good choice. Thanks for the helpful info ladies!
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Nichole. I will be 30 in August. I just went off the pill in December and finally got my first period after going off the pill today. So hopefully I will have some kind of cycle I can track now. Anyone else around my age TTC for the first time? I'd love to make friends:0)
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbie’s and I’m sorry to hear we lost Jenny. I was tremendously behind and so am only finding out about this today, hope nobody else feels “unloved”.

Ron – That’s amazing!!!!! I’m soooooo happy for you!

Heather – how’s the low GI diet going for you? I’ve been thinking of doing it myself, my cousin just did it (we used to be the same weight) and now she’s at my goal weight! Don’t worry too much about the scale not moving as quickly as someone else’s, the fact is that you’re healthy and could run miles around those skinnies in the Gym!

Pam - Keep me posted on your struggles with a low GI diet too, i dont have PCOS but have been interested in the benefits a low GI has for everyone!

Erica – I think I caught your head cold! Thankfully I didn’t get your jaw issue too. Hope all is better! BTW I’m in the TWW and took some Nyquil last night and didn’t think of until after, does everyone here refrain from meds during their TWW?
    I’m sorry to hear you made it to the 1year mark, I know how it feels! Hopefully your gyno will be able to give you some answers, if they ever get back to you (writing this as I read on).

KT- DH and I went to see The Dilemma too, I was disappointed too, it looked really good but fell short.

Kurtis – OMG Kcurtis, my heart goes out for your sister! I hope your neice is returned safely and soon!

Alisa – FC for you.

Sorry if I missed anyone, I’ve had 5 pages to go through and admit that I skimed some knowing full well that it was no longer a topic of interest anymore.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Abeare, I wouldn't worry about the Nyquil. The fetus doesn't get anything from you for the first few weeks.

Nichole, I'm 31. Nice to meet you.
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So far over all I'd say today has been a success! Got everyone out the door on time, made it to campus early enough to find parking (which is a big deal considering it took me over 30min last week to find parking!) Then after my first class I decided to venture out in town on foot to find the YMCA to see what they had to offer. Walked a mile and a half one way only to realize that they only offer kid programs, no lap pool or treadmill or anything! So I walked another mile and a half back close to campus and had every intention of walking to my favorite burger joint but before that I wanted to talk to someone at the gym that is right off campus. Found out for $50 a month I can be a member, no sign up fees bc I'm a student and free childcare (which is good bc there is this same gym near my house so I can go on tIe weweekends and bring my son) so I'm going to talk to my husband and see what he thinks. I then decided to get a sub at port of subs and abaked bbq chips vs the burger joint...ah the small victories!
  • HMKan
    Options
    So far over all I'd say today has been a success! Got everyone out the door on time, made it to campus early enough to find parking (which is a big deal considering it took me over 30min last week to find parking!) Then after my first class I decided to venture out in town on foot to find the YMCA to see what they had to offer. Walked a mile and a half one way only to realize that they only offer kid programs, no lap pool or treadmill or anything! So I walked another mile and a half back close to campus and had every intention of walking to my favorite burger joint but before that I wanted to talk to someone at the gym that is right off campus. Found out for $50 a month I can be a member, no sign up fees bc I'm a student and free childcare (which is good bc there is this same gym near my house so I can go on tIe weweekends and bring my son) so I'm going to talk to my husband and see what he thinks. I then decided to get a sub at port of subs and abaked bbq chips vs the burger joint...ah the small victories!

Both the gym deal and the sub sound like pretty big NSV's to me! Thank God for those!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Hi Nichole - I'm 31 also (soon to be 32....ah....the stomps of time going right over me....LOL) Unfortunately this isn't my first "try"...it would be my first child though. We've been TTC since 2001 (saw the RE in 2002).

Abeare - My struggles with low GI are immense.... :( I'm just too hooked to the "normal" foods. I'm slowly cleaning them out of the house, staying on track with eating at the same time. Won't be bringing anymore in......it'll be low GI. I never did find my book by Dr. Poon. Going to have to go back to my friend and ask for a copy of her Phase II.

Alisa - Score on the gym - double score on the childcare in the gym. Maybe they'll have healthy snacks there that aren't broccoli (LOL, I still giggle about that)

AFM: Feelin much better. Got home, completely cleared the driveway and then took the doggies for a walk...it's been ages, but it's just been too darn cold. Today it's at 0C (32F).....yesterday was arctic temperatures with extreme cold warnings across Ont & Quebec.....I don't know what Mother nature has up her sleeve, but I needed the warmer day today
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Pam that is awesome that you braved the cold and walked your dogs. My poor 4-legged child has not been walked in weeks now and she is being a turd because of it but there is nothing I hate worse than being freezing cold! Just praying that Spring makes its way here quickly so I can start walking her 3x's per day as per her usual routine. Both her and I feel so much better for it! The cold doesn't look like it is going anywhere for a little while though...ugh!

Abeare- I feel better than ever. I am eating more healthy than I ever have and I truly have more energy, have less sugar cravings, and just FEEL better. On the flip side, I've not lost is over 3 weeks. I've not gained anything, but I'm not used to eating so well and logging everything I eat and not seeing results. I've heard that switching the way you eat can take several weeks for your body to adjust and "heal" especially if it has been years of abuse from processed, high carb foods. You can take a look at my Food diary if you want. I'm not perfect by any means, but like I said it is making me feel great which is the only reason I'm sticking to it!

Alisa- sounds like a pretty decent deal if you make sure to get your money's worth out of it! I'd ask if they offer a discount for military too! A lot of gyms will honor a discount for military if you ask! Are you testing Saturday? I've decided that if I have symptoms and haven't started I will test on Wed the 2nd. If I don't have symptoms I will test on Fri the 4th. I'm sticking to this! :)

Erica- any luck with the doc's office?

Nichole- I'm 30 and still working on #1! Welcome to the group!

I had a pretty good day. I started a beef and vegetable stew in the crock pot this morning (man I love my crock pot!) and it should be ready to eat within an hour or so. It smells good anyways! I got in my toning workout and had tried to squeeze in trying out a new zumba class at the community center, but really didn't have the time with appts and errands that I had to do. So tomorrow will be another day of an hour of toning, an hour of cardio at the gym, and then an hour of cardio kickbox tomorrow night. Now if it were 70* outside and sunny today would have been nothing less than perfect! Ahhh...I can still dream!
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Fingers are crossed for you too Heather! I wanna do an HPT now too (haven't even ovulated if temps/OPKs are right...but I must be getting close). I think it might be a little bit too early
  • AlisaToth
    Options
    Yes - Saturday starts HPTesting - it will be 10DPO and the hubs and I are going to San Fran to see Daniel Tosh that night and i want to not drink if i am...if it says negative i won't believe it until after 18DPO but i would like to know early if i can!

The military discount at the gym is the same as student discount but with the student status I don't have sign up costs. Also, being military i can cancel my membership if we get transferred.

Successful dinner too! Bacon wrapped stuffed chicken (stuffed with cheese etc), chicken flavored brown rice and peas! Yummo!!
  • fitterpam
    Options
    So I wanted to honor my plan tonight of trying to eat back all of my exercise cals (so I run at 1300 net for the day, which is my goal at the start of the day)......OMG.....do not leave this until 9pm people!!!! I won't get into what I ate when....LOL but tomorrow will be a better day as far as spreading it out goes......YIKES!!!
  • HMKan
    Options
    So I wanted to honor my plan tonight of trying to eat back all of my exercise cals (so I run at 1300 net for the day, which is my goal at the start of the day)......OMG.....do not leave this until 9pm people!!!! I won't get into what I ate when....LOL but tomorrow will be a better day as far as spreading it out goes......YIKES!!!

I stil have over 500 calories to go and it's 9:32. I'm with you.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    I had a plate of spaghetti :noway: Oh my...my breakfast and lunch are all planned though - I'm up to 600 cals so far for tomorrow and that's not including snacks or dinner yet.......tomorrow I will be better. I wonder if I can do Bacon Wrapped Chicken too Alisa (minus the chicken cause of the taste thing.....) I haven't had it in a week though...wonder if it will still taste gross....tomorrow's a great day to find out :)

And finally - did my waist/hip ratio. It's not 1, it's .95 right now...my goal is to be at 0.9 for my BDay in April (if I'm not pregnant).....
  • AlisaToth
    Options
    So somehow i have convinced myself i want to test in the morning...not sure WHY bc I will only be 7DPO and i know I am just setting myself up for unnecessary disappointment....but I've got that "must pee on sticks" feeling....and I have a digital test in my bathroom cabinet that is beckoning me...taunting me if you will...I feel the only way to shut it up is to pee on it first thing in the morning...So...worst case scenario it's negative and i test again on Saturday...and then again on Monday...and then again on Wednesday...haha...
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Good morning ladies :happy:

Upping the calories certainly seemed to help overnight (and I didn't drink as much water as I should have yesterday. Only got in 6 glasses. I think getting outside made a huge difference to my mood though. I had a good breakfast and leftover pasta for lunch (leftover from my snack!!! LOL)

My plan today is to get through work (I'm out of here at 2:30 today), get home, do my BL weigh in (I can't do it in the morning because I struggle in the mornings as it is and it needs me to spend 20 minutes doing a workout before it will let me even weigh in...so it's an afternoon weigh in - really dependant on what I have for lunch, which is pasta...oh well....LOL

My family posting weigh in is in a few days (I let my family friends know where we are with the fertility/weight loss 2x a month).....Most people wouldn't do it, but I do only because we've been at it so long......So far, I'm really not showing a 2 week loss, but if I can get rid of some before then, I'll be happy, even if it's just 1lb over the 2 weeks. I also have to post a new photo (I do that the last one of the month). I find that it stops people from asking me questions and I give them the information I want to on my terms.....much easier for me.

I hope everyone does something small for themselves today, just because you deserve it!!!!!

Alisa - I know. I become obsessed too......I told my husband, if we knew then what we know now, I would have bought stock in the companies that sell those HPTs....at least then I'd be getting something out of it with the number I've bought over the years....LOL
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

I stil have over 500 calories to go and it's 9:32. I'm with you.

Can I have some of your left-over calories? I used all of mine already. ;-)
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pam! I literally drove myself clinically insane in December with peeing on everything in a 50 mile radius so I'm trying not to do that to myself EVER again! I've waited 7 years for a baby...what's a few more days?! I spent at LEAST $100 on hpt when I was in Alabama in Dec so yeah...not gonna do that.

Just a tip that has helped me throughout the transition is to make sure you are not only eating at least every 3-4 hours, but to pair up your protein with a healthy carb for snacks. Like a cheese stick and an apple, a yogurt and some nuts. I have my "go to" snacks that are already planned out each day what I'm going to eat. Helps keep your calories/sugar/insulin even out for the day. (Especially for us ladies with PCOS/IR).

Alisa let us know ASAP! I'm on pins and needles! :) Crossing my fingers for you girl!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Erica- any luck with the doc's office?

I am getting blood drawn today to check hormone levels. I go in next Tuesday to discuss the results and probably line up the semen analysis and HSG. It will be too late at that point to start Clomid, so we'll probably be on our own again this month. My general practitioner said that I would have to go through my gyn, so I let them go ahead and schedule everything. I'm just hoping they can find me when I go in for the blood work. My CBC will probably be completely off due to the cold I'm still fighting, but the hormone readings should be accurate.

Alisa, it's probably too late, but don't test at 7dpo with a digi. There's no way it's going to be positive. It takes way more HCG to make a digi positive than the regular line tests.

I'm getting my hair trimmed tonight. That's my being nice to myself thing for the day and my non-scale victory. :laugh:
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hi all--schools are closed here today, not that it matters much for me and my little boy, but the snow is supposed to hit TONIGHT. So, impending snow storm for tomorrow. Tomorrow is when I'm supposed to go in for Day 21 bloodwork. I doubt that it happens. Boooo. We'll see. Sigh...

Vent time: Yesterday I was in a real funk. I don't know if it is hormonal or just emotional, or what, but I just had one of those days where I just felt really down all day long. I haven't gotten a clear reading on my OPK tests...never got a definitive positive...one day was questionable...but not definite. I think the ambiguous tests coupled with bills from the Doctor for treatment, and knowing that I probably won't even be able to go in for bloodwork, just all ganged up on me and stomped on me yesterday. I was just stuck in a "this isn't going to work" funk. Blech--I hate being there. I just wanted to eat everything in sight, I didn't feel like being social, and I had absolutely no patience with my son at all. My choices weren't horrible, but I was definitely over my calories, and I didn't exercise. I hate feeling out of control.

I'm hoping to get my act more together today. I still have this feeling of "well here goes nothing"..but it's not as bad as yesterday, even if it is just because I am choosing to be more optimistic and think positively. I know this feeling won't stay around forever, and soon I'll be back to my more optimistic self, so that makes going through it more tolerable--I know this is only temporary. I'm hoping maybe I can help shake it more by getting some exercise endorphins going today. I'm pretty sure I'll be over my calories again today...but my goal is to do better than yesterday.

I really appreciated just having a place to come and read about what is going on in all of your lives this morning. I know we all have days like the one I did yesterday, and just reading about everyone going about the various things in their lives amidst this stuff helps me keep perspective...a better perspective than I had yesterday. Thanks all!
  • AlisaToth
    Options
    Yup - it was negative, but that was to be expected. l'm not really disappointed or surprised. I realized AFTER the fact about the whole digital thing and that it probably takes a really dark clear preggo line to signal the pregnant thing...but I HATE interpreting lines! Well, guess i'll just have to buy another one for Saturday!