Fit For Future Families - January 2011

Options

Replies

• Hopeful4757
    Options
    Wow! I learned a lot today reading this. I was not aware of the soy thing and totally had soy beans at dinner. This is what I like about the site. There is a wealth of knowledge from everybody.

Kcurtis - Happy Birthday tomorrow!

AlisaToth - good luck. How exciting!

Fitterpam - I always wanted to know what Boxing Day is. What do you celebrate and how?
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    LOL - sorry Hopeful. Boxing day is the day after Christmas. It's a holiday here, so it's the day that the extended family gets together in my family. Christmas day is just our parents and siblings. Boxing day is Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and their children. My immediate family doesn't have any kids yet, so really Boxing day for me is the fun day with kids running around. Right now there are 4 of them, ranging in ages from 7 to 1 and all of them running around acting like nuts. Plus since my hubbie is an only child, it's our chance to see those cousins that were raised like his siblings and let them act like big children. So we do the big holiday dinner twice (three times if you count Christmas Eve, when I do a big dinner at my house, but I don't because it's usually meatless pasta)....twice the calories, but boxing day is way more fun, in my opinion....LOL

This year, I played hide and seek with the two older boys for about 3 and a half hours and then watched the babies play with their (uber-noisy) new toys.
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hopeful~ Thanks for the Birthday wish!

Well....This year is really NOT starting out well AT ALL.:sad: In addition to dealing with this horrible tenant that hasn't paid us for Dec. or Jan., I just got word that my boss/dance teacher/second mom has cancer cells in one of her Lymph Nodes but they haven't found the source yet. :cry: I started taking dance from her when I was 12 and have been teaching for her since I was 15 till now. Sometimes I saw her more than my own mother! I just can't imagine what life would be without her around! To make it worse I was talking to her daughter last night and she broke-down right there. I really tried to held it together but I just don't know what to do....

This stress really isn't helping the TTC part of my life right now. I see now how life gets in the way of our plans sometimes. I'm going to Zumba tonight for my birthday! Hopefully it will relieve some of the stress.

Also, I have been going crazy with the chocolate that's in the house. I think it's time to start pitching it!!! I just can't stop myself.:devil: <chocolate craving
  • fitterpam
    Options

Well....This year is really NOT starting out well AT ALL.:sad: In addition to dealing with this horrible tenant that hasn't paid us for Dec. or Jan., I just got word that my boss/dance teacher/second mom has cancer cells in one of her Lymph Nodes but they haven't found the source yet. :cry: I started taking dance from her when I was 12 and have been teaching for her since I was 15 till now. Sometimes I saw her more than my own mother! I just can't imagine what life would be without her around! To make it worse I was talking to her daughter last night and she broke-down right there. I really tried to held it together but I just don't know what to do....

This stress really isn't helping the TTC part of my life right now. I see now how life gets in the way of our plans sometimes. I'm going to Zumba tonight for my birthday! Hopefully it will relieve some of the stress.

Also, I have been going crazy with the chocolate that's in the house. I think it's time to start pitching it!!! I just can't stop myself.:devil: <chocolate craving

Sorry to hear that.... life is rough sometimes. Exercise is a great stress reducer though.

I just finished off the last of the junk in my house and I think from now until Jan 15 my goal is no chocolate, no chips, no candy. It's too hard to scale back :( The cravings are there and they are bad. I thought I'd be good after I ate it all, but so far that doesnt' seem to be the case. Why am I always surprised?????
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

So sorry to hear about your "mom". That's so hard to deal with, and it's never easy when it's someone you care about so much! Finding out about cancer is always such a shock to the system. Keep doing what you are doing... taking care of yourself is something you can control, even when it feels like a lot of other things are out of your control...and those exercise endorphins really do help! *hugs*
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    KCurtis- My heart and prayers go out to you and your 2nd mom. Having strong women in our lives makes us better women I believe. Just stay positive and be there when she needs you.

Pam- You are absolutely right about the sugar...the more you eat the more you crave. Years ago when I started back at college I was bound and determined to lose the excess weight I'd gained after my divorce. I ate oatmeal with cinnamon and loads of splenda with grapes on the side literally for 3 meals a day. I thought that eating 1200 cals and sticking to something that filled me up would work...boy was I wrong! I actually gained weight and had the worse sugar cravings EVER! Basically I was loading up on carbs and sugar substitutes that my body had no idea what to do with! I now eat like I'm diabetic in a sense. Low glycemic foods (even avoid sugary fruits and stick to apples and pears) have been my best friend and I've seen the weight literally fall off of me (with proper exercise too of course). Carbs/sugar is essential for your brain to function so I don't believe in NO carb diets either. It is a healthy balance but once you find it, it is bliss for losing those cravings.

Hopeful- Yeah soy has been advertised to us as this absolutely wonderful solution to plant proteins. It is in so much of our foods (usually processed foods of course). I absolutely CRINGE when I see people feed their babies soy formula. Doctors are reporting an increase in male infants/toddlers with breast tissue and tiny penises! One 8oz serving of soy has the amount of estrogen TWO birth control pills have....not good when your body is subjected to an abnormal amount of hormones that wasn't created by you. I truly believe that the increase in cancer is due to all the hormones we are consuming from infancy that contains hormones (our milk, meat, cheese, etc.) not to mention girls are getting their periods earlier and earlier. Just my opinion though...I'll step off my soapbox now! lol!

Hope everyone is having a great day and making healthy choices!
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't think i'll ever be able to cut sugar completely out.:laugh: I am pretty good at keeping it in moderation and try really hard not to over do it. One little dove chocolate bar or a small portion of pie/cake takes the edge off and i try to balance it into my food intake for the day. I don't eat a lot of sugary fruit and aspertaine doesn't bother me so sugar-free things are good to me too!

Still no AF or signs of her showing up....CD 32....TRYING not to get my hopes up, but i'm kind of getting excited to test on Saturday....:blushing:

Been pretty stressed the last few days, with me not working money has been tight. I went into the bank account online and realized that money was more than tight it was impossible and we would end up with $300 for the rest of the month's food and gas which is impossible bc the hubs and I both have to fill up our gas tanks $40-$50 at a time every 7-10days plus we have a weekend in San Fran coming up and that ALONE will cost $200-$300 just in gas and hotel! :sad: :sad: :sad:
    My main problem finding a job has been school, I'll have class all day T&R so i am only available on MWF. I called my job placement agency last night and left a message (trying not to sound absolutely desperate!) and when she returned my call this morning she had a job that was LOOKING for someone who is FT in school during the spring that could go FT in the summer. She set up the interview for today at 1130, i felt really confident after the interview and found out 30min later that I got the job!! So I start on Monday! Really put our minds at ease! It will be nice to have something to keep me busy while the hubs is gone! I'm hoping that they allow me a week off at some point so that i can go visit him in Dubai!
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thank for all the positive thoughts! I really need every little bit. I'm having a tough time.

As for sugar... I LOVE it! Maybe I will have to incorperate less sugar into my goals. I'm usually not that bad, but I have to admit that it has gotten the best of me lately. I'm fine if it's not around, but if I can get my hands on it easily I can't stop. (just thru my cookie from my lunch in the garbage, too bad I already had two today. Baby steps....)

Alisa~ I'm SO happy you found something that will work with your school schedule! And I have my fingers crossed for you for Saturday!
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Alisa- Some people (especially those who don't have PCOS and aren't insulin resistant) don't have the problems with sugar that others do. That is why no specific diet works for everyone. We all are different and that means some do well on low carb diets while others do much better on eating more carbs. People with PCOS and especially those with insulin resistance have issues with sugar (and sugar substitutes) and need to watch very closely their sugar intake (including good sugars like fruit). We typically do much better with very low sugar and the sugar we do eat should be natural like fruit, sprouted grain breads, etc.. So all that sugar talk really doesn't include everyone...well, I'd say HFCS and white sugar are still bad for everyone but definitely worse for us PCOSers!

Oh and my fingers are crossed for you and a BFP!
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    Alisa - I am still keeping my fingers crossed for you - it sure is sounding good. I would have broken down and gotten a test by now. :-)

Kcurtis - I am so sorry to hear about your second mom. :-( I have lost many people close to me and cancer really sucks. I will pray lots for you and her.

heathercrist - very interesting about that soy issue. I never would have guessed.

fitterpam - I LOVE Boxing Day! So, it's pretty much an extra day of Christmas? That's awesome! I am pretty curious - where did the name come from? The day after Christmas I pretty much declared pajama day at my house. You know, a day to sit around and play with all your new stuff and figure out how to work it or just watch movies and have fun. Maybe I will celebrate Boxing Day next year. :laugh:
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    Kcurtis - HUGS!! I hope they find the source of the cancer cells and that treatment will be successful! Cancer sucks and there's way too much of it! :frown:

Alisa - congrats on the job! Woo hoo! FX for a BFP to round this week out extra special! :flowerforyou:

Heather - stay on that soap box as long as you like! I love opinions, debates, information... anything to make people think about the big picture and to really make an educated decision for themselves! :happy:

Pam - At least you are done with your chocolate now... don't buy any more no matter how much your mind tells you to! I have a whole bunch left (unopened boxes even) but I've never had much of a sweet tooth so it will probably still be here in July! :tongue:

Hopeful - Boxing Day here in Canada is kind of like Black Friday in the states. It's not an official Federal holiday, but it is a bank holiday and a lot of businesses get the day off. My current job (thank god) recognizes it as a holiday but I"m in the financial business so we kind of follow the banks and markets as far as holidays go. I worked for years in the retail industry and never got paid extra on that day or got the day off - in fact it is the worst shopping day of the year for people who work retail. Sure there's some great deals, but as a former retail manager, I will NEVER shop on Boxing Day! This year, I shopped online since online stores are starting the trend of providing "Boxing Day Deals" online so you don't have to go out. I didn't buy much, but I just got my package delivered today from Amazon - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Sentimentalist. The latter is a Canadian woman's first time novel; she's younger than me and she just won the Gillar Prize (big literary award here in Canada). It's inspiring the inner writer in me to get moving. :smile:
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    Oh and to answer your question about the name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

It seems that it's unclear exactly but the reason I like the best is:

"Another possibility is that the name derives from an old English tradition: in exchange for ensuring that wealthy landowners' Christmases ran smoothly, their servants were allowed to take the 26th off to visit their families. The employers gave each servant a box containing gifts and bonuses (and sometimes leftover food). In addition, around the 1800s, churches opened their alms boxes (boxes where people place monetary donations) and distributed the contents to the poor."
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Oh and to answer your question about the name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

It seems that it's unclear exactly but the reason I like the best is:

"Another possibility is that the name derives from an old English tradition: in exchange for ensuring that wealthy landowners' Christmases ran smoothly, their servants were allowed to take the 26th off to visit their families. The employers gave each servant a box containing gifts and bonuses (and sometimes leftover food). In addition, around the 1800s, churches opened their alms boxes (boxes where people place monetary donations) and distributed the contents to the poor."

LOL - sorry yeah.....for most people it's a shopping day.....for us it's a family thing
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    I prefer the family thing too - like "didn't you get enough *kitten* under the xmas tree that you have to go out and buy more stuff? STAY HOME AND ENJOY YOUR FAMILY!!! Play a game! Watch a movie! Talk to eachother!!!" lol

I will NEVER go out and shop on Boxing Day!
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that i love that we have ladies from different countries on here! It so interesting to learn what others do in your culture....although I've never really thought of Canada as having it's own "culture" any more than the separation we have here in the states (i.e regional food, accents etc) since we have so many similarities, but it really is pretty different! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    :bigsmile: Alisa, any Canadian would tell you that we're different from American and proud to be. It actually irks us that we get lumped together. Our values and culture are different, our education system is different, lots and lots is different. We're proud to be your neighbors though! I always found accents to be a funny thing. You can drive only an hour or so south of here and suddenly you're hit with accents, but all the way across Canada you will only find three different ones - those from the East coast which sound like they've got a bit of irish/scottish mixed in with their talk (lots of emphasis on the rrrrrr's and they often talk fast), french canadian and then the rest of us. They actually did a study and it doesn't matter if you're from Ontario, Alberta or BC, or wherever, the accent for the rest of us is the same. Weird.

Here's a cool video from last year's Olympics with Tom Brokaw explaining Canadians to Americans. :flowerforyou:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_041oYDjg
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Heather – I’m glad that you’re “perfect”. I’m praying for you that the 3rd time will be a charm.

Kcurtis – happy belated birthday!!! I hope you had a great day. I’m so sorry to hear about your second mom. Cancer sucks, but on the good side there are so many advances now. My co-worker was diagnosed with cancer cells in her lymph nodes a few years ago and now she is cancer free.

Alisa – Last year I had horrible abdominal pain on and off for a few weeks. I had tests and scans done to rule out my appendix and gallbladder. All the tests were negative and the pain suddenly stopped. Thankfully it’s stayed gone; I hope your husband feels better. Congrats on the job!!!

I got rid of all the cookies and holiday junk in my house too. Surprisingly I’ve been really good at eating well and exercising this week. I gave in and had one piece of chocolate my god-mother brought back from Syria, which was a success for me because I can normally eat a whole bag full. I’m actually looking forward to weigh in on Monday…..we’ll see.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    So many posts!

I am proud to be Canadian - thanks for the link Jenny.

Although, just so you know, in the east, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Capt Breton, PEI and New Brunswick all have different accents. And I've noticed several in the prarie region when I was posted in Edmonton. I love how no one has the same tongue.

Boxing Day, for us, is this: we pack up what we don't need and take it to a charity. Clothes, food, whatever. It's a day to give to the less fortunate.

Every Store in NS is closed on Boxing Day, so our big shopping day is the 27th (if you remember, we only got Sunday shopping in late 2006, so holidays are a big no-no, NS has a very religious foundational community). We were at Walmart at 7:15 am to get what we wanted (and I was at Michaels at 9). We were home by 10 and cooking another turkey by 12. It was a great day!
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Day 2 of Sugar Detox seems to be going well so far (much better than day 1). My goal this week is to not add sugar to any of the foods I eat/drink. I'm not craving anything weird so I'm happy so far. Loading up on the veggies today too and upping the water. I'm going to beat the sugar this month if it's the last thing I do.
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Day 2 of Sugar Detox seems to be going well so far (much better than day 1). My goal this week is to not add sugar to any of the foods I eat/drink. I'm not craving anything weird so I'm happy so far. Loading up on the veggies today too and upping the water. I'm going to beat the sugar this month if it's the last thing I do.

Do you follow any kind of eating plan? Who would have thought that what you eat plays into being able to have a baby?! I know a lot about nutrition and fitness (some from my own journey and some from being a RN) but I've learned more than I ever thought I would when I was diagnosed with PCOS that's for sure. Just remember that all the processed foods have sugar and chemicals that aren't good for our bodies too...