Fit For Future Families - January 2011

Options

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    The weird thing about the pom juice is that it was used in ancient greece (I think, that's what I read) as an oral contraceptive so maybe they just had lots of unplanned pregnancies....LOL

I found this neat calculator on an IVF site that they say is pretty reliable and it makes me feel a little better about IVF http://www.ivfpredict.com/. It's to determine average success rates for live birth based on 144,000 IVF experiences. I know that where you go makes a huge diffference, but I feel better about laying down such a huge chunk of change to have a 31.1% chance of walking out of it with a baby :smooched:

Leaving work in a few minutes so I can go and see my new little friend .... awwww it's baby week for me!!! YAY I'm going to sniff up all that newborn smell hopefully to trigger my body to get pregnant....HA, if it were only that easy :smile:
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Ha! You and I view odds differently. :wink: I'm glad it made you feel better, though. :flowerforyou:
  • epa422
    Options
    This was an interesting read: http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Fulltext/2001/01000/Reliability_of_Ovulation_Tests_in_Infertile_Women.19.aspx.

It discusses temping and says it's fairly inaccurate for pinpointing the day of ovulation. When compared to other methods, it was as much as 6 days before to 4 days after the shift. However, it is good for confirming that you did in fact O at some point. I guess this goes to show that you just need to keep BDing even after a confirmed shift.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Ha! You and I view odds differently. :wink: I'm glad it made you feel better, though. :flowerforyou:

LMAO - too funny. It absolutely isn't a great stat but it's only about half of the non-IVF live birth rate. Right now I have a 0% chance of conception (or it might be a little higher since the surgery). They think that up to 30% of pregnancies are unsuccessful, but in only half of those the women are aware they're pregnant. So if my chance for an unsuccessful pregancy is only 59.4% or something like that, it's not terrible, considering I'm working with decreased odds for conception. I thought it would be way lower than it is with my specific conditions.
  • epa422
    Options
    I'm sure if I'd been trying as long as you have and gone through the things you have gone through, I would agree with you. And it's not a bad percentage. I just want 99% for the amount of money they want. But I know that's not possible.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    I'm sure if I'd been trying as long as you have and gone through the things you have gone through, I would agree with you. And it's not a bad percentage. I just want 99% for the amount of money they want. But I know that's not possible.

Actually...LOL for some people, they do offer a guarantee. The guaranteed treatments are a little more money, I think about $5K, but if it doesn't work the first time, they will do the treatments for free for the next 2 rounds (which are about 5K a piece), but only if you meet certain criteria (which we don't).

I totally get what you're saying. That's why we turned to adoption originally....we thought that there were kids sitting out there waiting for parents so it would be guaranteed.....LOL

I totally caved on the sugar detox after coming out from seeing my friend and her little boy today.....bought a big old bar of dark salted chocolate and ate the whole thing on the way home. Nah, I'm not an emotional eater. I actually left there feeling hopeful that this time next year, I'll have one that tiny :)
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    AlisaToth - I'm sorry about your test result today. Like some of the other women said though, maybe it was too early of a test if they say to wait until CD 35. I think it's good to make the appointment to get more info. I think that might be my next step too.

Everybody else - you all post so much good info. I am just making sure I have all this right - "O" means ovulation? What is "2ww?" I'm guessing it's the 2 weeks between ovulation and seeing if you get your period? Sorry - I'm not as familiar with the lingo. I probably should look it up online somewhere.

Happy Friday everybody!
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hopeful - Yes, 2ww is the two week wait from ovulation to AF

So i was kinda crampy today then started to feel "gushy" again so i thought AWESOME! I must have started my period! Rushed home and thought well if i haven't started I'll use on of the OPK's...(ovulation predictor kits) so i go potty...and no AF...CM is no longer watery/slick it's now thick and is DEF egg-whites...negative on the OPK...I just told the hubs we're going to BD every night until either a BFP or AF shows...I wish my body would freaking make up it's mind!! I'm praying i am not having one of those non-ovulatory cycles... All things i'm going to discuss with the Dr. on Tuesday...but Tuesday seems so far away....FF says i'm fertile right now i guess based on my CM
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    Hopeful (and anyone else) - I borrowed this from another forum I'm on about TTC. Hope it helps!

0 - 9
    2WW (aka. TWW) - Two Week Wait - Luteal Phase - 14 days after ovulation

A
    AF - Aunt Flo, menstruation, period
    AH - Assisted Hatching
    AI - Artificial Insemination
    AKA - Also Known As

B
    BABY ASPIRIN - aka. children's aspirin which contains only 80mg of aspirin used to quiet immune system
    BAW - Board at work
    BBT - Basal Body Temperature
    BD - Baby Dance, Sex
    Beta - Blood test for PG
    BFN - Big Fat Negative (Pregnancy Tests)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (Pregnancy Test)
    BTW - By the way
    BC - Birth Control
    BCP - Birth Control Pills
    BIL - Brother inlaw
    BBs - BooBies AKA Breasts, Boobs, funbags etc
    BA - Baby Aspirin
    BM - Breast Milk
    BPM - Beats per minute
    BOB - Baby on board

C
    CB - Clear Blue Pregnancy Test
    CBFM - Clear Blue Fertility Monitor
    CD - Cycle Day
    CL - Corpus Luteum
    CM- Cervical Mucus, Icky Sticky
    CP - Cervical Position
    C# - Cycle Number
    CP - Cervical Position

D
    DD - Dear Daughter
    DH- Dear Husband
    DP - Dancing Partner; spouse, or significant other
    DPO - Days Past Ovulation
    DB - Dear Boyfriend
    DS - Dear Son
    DTD - Doing The Dance, BD, sex
    DPT - Days Post-Transfer
    D&C - Dilate and Curetage

E
    EC - Embryo Cyro/Freezing
    EDD - Estimated Due Date
    EPO - Evening Primrose Oil
    EWCM - Egg-White Cervical Mucus
    ER - Egg Retrieval
    ET - Egg transfer
    EPT - Early Pregnancy Test
    EPU - Early pregnancy unit
    ETA - Edited to add
    EVAP - Evapouration

F
    FIL - Father in law
    FMU - First morning urine
    FOB - Father of baby
    FRER - First Response Early Result (Pregnancy Test)
    FXed - Fingers crossed
    FRER - First response early result
    FAO - For attention of

G
    GP - General Practitioner
    Gyno - Gynocologist

H
    HCG - Human Chorionic Gonadotropin - detected in HPTs
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    HSG - Hysterosalpingogram - x-ray
    HB - Heartbeat

I
    ICSI Microfertilization
    IUI - Intrauterine Insemination
    IVF - In Vitro Fertilization
    IC - Internet Cheapie
    IYKWIM - If you know what i mean
    IRL - In real life
    IYO - In your opinion
    IMO - In my opinion
    IB - Implantation bleeding

K
    KEGELS - The muscle used to stop the flow of urine.

L
    LH - Luteinizing Hormone - detected in OPKs
    LOL - Laughing Out Loud
    LP - Luteal Phase, days between ov & AF
    LMAO - Laughing my *kitten* off
    LAP - Laparoscopy
    LMP - Last Menstrual Period
    LSP - Low Sperm Count
    LO - Little One

M
    MC, m/c - Miscarriage
    MMC - Missed miscarriage
    MF - MaleFactor
    MIL - Mother in law
    M/S, MS - Morning Sickness
    NP - No Problem

N
    NTNP - Not trying, not preventing

O
    O or OV - Ovulation
    OH - Other Half
    OPK - Ovulation Predictor Kit
    OB/GYN - Obstetrician/Gynecologist
    OMG - Oh My God
    OP - Original poster

P
    PG - Pregnancy, pregnant
    PNV - Prenatal Vitamin
    PCO - Polycystic Ovaries
    PCOD - Polycystic Ovary Disease
    PCOS - Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
    PMA - Positive mental attitude
    PMS - Pre-menstrual Syndrome
    POAS - Pee on a stick (Home Pregnancy Test)
    PND - Post Natal Depression
    PGP - see SPD

R
    RE - Reproductive Endocronolgist - doctor who specializes in fertility problems
    R-FSH - Recombinant Human Follicle Stimulating Hormone
    ROBI - A term used which refers to Robitussin or Guaifenesin Syrup (expectorant) used to thin CM
    ROFL - Rolling on the Floor Laughing

S
    SOD - Sex on Demand
    SA - Semen Analysis
    SAHM - Stay at Home Mom
    SAHD - Stay-At-Home Dad
    SIL - Sister in law
    STD - Sexually Transmitted Disease
    SMEP - Sperm meets egg plan
    SPD - Symphisis pubis dysfunction - Also know as PGP, Pelvic girdle pain

T
    TCOYF - *“Taking Charge of Your Fertility*” by Toni Weschler
    TR - Tubal Reversal
    TTC - Trying To Conceive
    TMI - Too Much Information
    TR - Tubal Reversal
    TIA - Thanks in Advance
    TWW - Two week wait

U
    U/S - Ultrasound
    UTI - Urinary Tract Infection

W
    WAH - Work at Home
    WAHM - Work at Home Mum
    WAHD - Work at Home Dad
    WAHP - Work at Home Parents

Y
    YI Yeast Infection
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    And people wonder why us mere mortals get confused with all the ttc "lingo"?! lol!
  • epa422
    Options
    It makes me feel both brilliant that I know all of those acronyms and sad that I've been TTC so long that I know all of those acronyms. :huh:
  • fitterpam
    Options
    It makes me feel both brilliant that I know all of those acronyms and sad that I've been TTC so long that I know all of those acronyms. :huh:

What makes me sad is that I use them without thinking....even when I'm talking to people. I tell people the best thing they can do when TTC is BD every other day from Day 10 until they are sure they have ovulated.....LOL I sure do get funny looks....and then the question...what's a BD? :)
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    I set up a game during my ladies work xmas party where we all secretly wrote down our biggest wish for 2011 "Dear Santa, all I want for xmas is...." and of course I wrote a BFP. Then we had to guess who said what... no one guessed mine because they didn't know what it was! I laughed so hard because my boss said "What's that? Big Fat Penis??" :noway: LMAO!! And I was like "um... well... ok!" :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • fitterpam
    Options
    I set up a game during my ladies work xmas party where we all secretly wrote down our biggest wish for 2011 "Dear Santa, all I want for xmas is...." and of course I wrote a BFP. Then we had to guess who said what... no one guessed mine because they didn't know what it was! I laughed so hard because my boss said "What's that? Big Fat Penis??" :noway: LMAO!! And I was like "um... well... ok!" :bigsmile: :laugh:

OMG - that is the funniest thing ever!!!!!!!
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I laughed and had to tell my coworker. we are both ttcing. She the traditional way. While I am just waiting to O for the start of the IUI process.

The list was very helpful.
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Epic fail tonight...now sure what caused it, maybe being alone on a Friday night, maybe having a long, hectic week, maybe waiting too long to eat I don't know, but I ended up eating 2 slices of thin crust meat lovers pizza and a 2 cups of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Gah! Oh well...guess that was my "cheat meal" for the week. Hopefully next week things won't be quite to crazy. Ugh.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I think pre-seed is the reason I'm getting UTI's. We started using it last month and I got a UTI for the first time in a year and a half. I figured it just was because I wasn't jumping up to go to the bathroom right after. I finally got over the UTI and AF and after BD'ing ONCE with pre-seed, I wake up this morning and it's back. :mad: Has anyone else had this problem?
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    I think pre-seed is the reason I'm getting UTI's. We started using it last month and I got a UTI for the first time in a year and a half. I figured it just was because I wasn't jumping up to go to the bathroom right after. I finally got over the UTI and AF and after BD'ing ONCE with pre-seed, I wake up this morning and it's back. :mad: Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm prone to UTI's and I've used preseed several times and absolutely love it! It is the same pH as your body and essentially the same kind of fluids that you produce naturally so I'm not sure if that could cause your UTI. Did you jump up right after this last dance or lay there for a while? I suggest you start taking a cranberry pill supplement to help so you don't get anymore UTIs.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options

I'm prone to UTI's and I've used preseed several times and absolutely love it! It is the same pH as your body and essentially the same kind of fluids that you produce naturally so I'm not sure if that could cause your UTI. Did you jump up right after this last dance or lay there for a while? I suggest you start taking a cranberry pill supplement to help so you don't get anymore UTIs.

I got up right away this time, last month was so painful I didn't want a repeat. I have to go to the drug store later, I'll get cranberry pills then. My doctor office is closed on the weekends so I'm stuck until Monday. Ughh....this sucks!!! :cry:
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    OMG!!! The list of acronyms made me laugh!! I actually saved it so I could reference later :happy: . It was very helpful. Thank you. And, when I copied it, it was FOUR pages long! :laugh:

It made me think that all of the women going through this 20 years ago did not have access to half the knowledge and support that people can have nowadays. I'm usually not a big computer person, but this aspect of it is nice.