Fit For Future Families - January 2011

Options

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm checking in, but not weighing in until next week (as per my plan).

It's great to see so many new faces on here - it's comforting to see that we're not alone in this battle.

So last night and today has been weird - I'm having some sort of weird sensation in my chest - not pain, it's not painful at all. It almost feels like I'm skipping heartbeats or something, which is causing my breath to catch. I know it sounds really bad, but he's the weirdest thing: it's better when I'm moving, and worse when I'm sitting still. DH wants me to go get checked out, but I honestly don't feel bad, except for this weird sensation. I figure I'll give it a couple of days, and if it doesn't go away then I'll go to the doc. I mean heck - who's to say that I didn't irk a chest muscle during some new Zumba moves or something.

Anyway, I'm taking a couple of days off from exercising. Just to be on the safe side.

Also (I'm going to post to all of MFP) I'm wondering if anyone can recommend step aerobic DVDs? I got a step for Christmas and want to add something into my rotation.

All the best!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    So last night and today has been weird - I'm having some sort of weird sensation in my chest - not pain, it's not painful at all. It almost feels like I'm skipping heartbeats or something, which is causing my breath to catch. I know it sounds really bad, but he's the weirdest thing: it's better when I'm moving, and worse when I'm sitting still. DH wants me to go get checked out, but I honestly don't feel bad, except for this weird sensation. I figure I'll give it a couple of days, and if it doesn't go away then I'll go to the doc. I mean heck - who's to say that I didn't irk a chest muscle during some new Zumba moves or something.

Anyway, I'm taking a couple of days off from exercising. Just to be on the safe side.

Also (I'm going to post to all of MFP) I'm wondering if anyone can recommend step aerobic DVDs? I got a step for Christmas and want to add something into my rotation.

All the best!

I get that chest thing sometimes too - it tends to go away - it's like the muscle is spasming - but it's almost like a butterfly fluttering just there.....you can actually see it too....weird.

As for step aerobics DVD - I don't have a specific one in mind, but a suggestion. Most of them have some kind of YouTube clip online. Once you have some suggestions - check them out...the routines and the trainers are so different that it's almost more of a personality thing in my experience.
  • SkinnyOat
    Options
    Heathercrist1 - Thank you!!!!!! I've been losing my mind over this issue! He makes me crazy sometimes! But I guess that's why I love him so much, it's never boring. Hope both our DHs get on track with us! I figure, I'm doing all the cooking, all you have to do is exercise and eat what I give you. How could it be any easier?!

Jalara-I recently heard that Netflix has a bunch of work out stuff that you can watch instantly. I haven't tried it yet. I would think there would be a step program on there. Let us know what you find, always looking for something new!

Speaking of something new, I just did a Bollywood workout with my mom. It was loads of fun, but short. She had DVRed it from the Fit Channel, so we had to skip through the commercials. We'll be starting Jazzercise in a few weeks, I'll let everyone know how it goes. Hope all is well!
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join this group too!!

Last year I graduated from college, got married, and got promoted in my job. This year I plan to lose weight so I can get healthy and start the next step: family!!

I started 2011 at 326lbs. My "ideal" weight is 160-180lbs, I'd be happy at 200 even. Once I hit 250 I'll start taking my prenatels and getting started but continue to eat well and exercise.

I've got roughly 120lbs to lose and I'm doing it this year for my future babies and family. All I've ever wanted was to be a mommy and I think this motivation is what's going to get me to finish it this time!!
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Jalara-I recently heard that Netflix has a bunch of work out stuff that you can watch instantly. I haven't tried it yet. I would think there would be a step program on there. Let us know what you find, always looking for something new!

Jalara- FYI, the Canadian Netflix doesn’t have work out videos, there are still barely any videos on it yet. Wouldn’t it be nice if there were though!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Hmm... it appears that I have recently Od which caused my weight to shoot UP, UP, UP. I was at 131.4 last Friday. Yesterday, I weighed in at over 136. Today it was slowly come back down to 134. Yesterday was a "work at home due to snow" day and I had planned to work out, but I ended up cleaning for a few hours instead. Back to it tonight! And hoping that the sperm meets egg program actually works for us this month. I actually got a +OPK this cycle, which is rare, but my monitor never gave me a peak. The +OPK came 3 hours after I tested with the monitor. Go figure.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    I heard the craziest thing today. Someone told me that if you have a thyroid issue you'll be missing about the outer 1/3 of your eyebrows...LOL I laughed until I looked in the mirror and noticed that I suddenly have that 1/3 of my eyebrow BACK. I've been on the meds for 2 months now and I didn't even notice. I knew that I had "thin" outer eyebrows (after the arch, they were sparse)....Who knew??? LOL Craziness
  • epa422
    Options
    I wish some of my eyebrows would go away... it would save so much plucking time. :laugh:
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Something to look into, my eyebrows are beyond sparse especially the outer layer! Plucking one wrong hair can make me look like I’ve shaved a whole in my brows!

FC for you Erica!
  • epa422
    Options
    Thanks, abeare.

They should definitely check your thyroid when you go in for testing. That's something that can really cause problems with TTC and carrying to term.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    erica fingers crossed for you. sometimes it is easier for me knowing I'm not ovulating then to psyche myself out that there might just be that possibility. I know the next 2 weeks for you are gonna be stressful. How far have you gone in testing with doctors and such? Does ovulating cause you to gain weight?

I had never heard of the eyebrow thing and I do have sparse outer eyebrows but according to all the tests my thyroid is just "perfect" or so they say. I'm not a hairy person at all so I guess that could be the reason.

I'm going to use the OPKs this month but we aren't doing the Clomid until next cycle. Probably a waste of money...but I'm just curious.

I've also had a moment of panic when I just thought about the idea that it has taken 7 years to get this far in the whole ttc game and what if we have a baby this year, I am 30 now and will be 31 right after the baby is born. Then what if we want another one? I refuse to take the risk to conceive after 35 (that is the choice for me, if you have other opinions that is okay) so that makes the time frame very very small to have another baby. Kinda stressful just thinking about it.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Heather - I totally get that thought. We've been at it officially since we got married (so 23) and I'm now turning 32 this year. We kept getting told early on that we still had lots of time and not to push it too much.....well 8 years along and the panic is now starting to set in. The only thing that kind of gets me through is one thing at a time and DH had a dream about a year ago that he saw us with twin boys about 3 and I was pregnant with a third, a girl.....So if we need IVF, twins are possible and then if it happens again in a few years, it's all good.

Who knows what the future holds. We also were told incessently when we were trying to adopt that we were TOO young. Most adoptive parents are older than 35 (they've done the infertility thing and stopped at the 35 mark, I guess). The average age of adoptive parents in Ontario was 41.....finanancial, we couldn't compete with them at 24 and just starting out. It's one of the most frustrating parts of that whole process. Almost like saying, well you're young enough to figure it out for yourself - there are people that need to adopt more.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Just got this on FB today and thought I would share....this is what we're working towards.....made me giggle for the day. Lessons for Preparing for Parenthood

Lesson 1

1. Go to the grocery store.
    2. Arrange to have your salary paid directly to their head office.
    3. Go home.
    4. Pick up the paper.
    5. Read it for the last time.

Lesson 2

Before you finally go ahead and have children, find a couple who already are parents and berate them about their...
    1. Methods of discipline.
    2. Lack of patience.
    3. Appallingly low tolerance levels.
    4. Allowing their children to run wild.
    5. Suggest ways in which they might improve their child's breastfeeding, sleep habits, toilet training, table manners, and overall behavior.
    Enjoy it because it will be the last time in your life you will have all the answers.

Lesson 3

A really good way to discover how the nights might feel...
    1. Get home from work and immediately begin walking around the living room from 5PM to 10PM carrying a wet bag weighing approximately 8-12 pounds, with a radio turned to static (or some other obnoxious sound) playing loudly. (Eat cold food with one hand for dinner)
    2. At 10PM, put the bag gently down, set the alarm for midnight, and go to sleep.
    3. Get up at 12 and walk around the living room again, with the bag, until 1AM.
    4. Set the alarm for 3AM.
    5. As you can't get back to sleep, get up at 2AM and make a drink and watch an infomercial.
    6. Go to bed at 2:45AM.
    7. Get up at 3AM when the alarm goes off.
    8. Sing songs quietly in the dark until 4AM.
    9. Get up. Make breakfast. Get ready for work and go to work (work hard and be productive)

Repeat steps 1-9 each night. Keep this up for 3-5 years. Look cheerful and together.

Lesson 4

Can you stand the mess children make? T o find out...
    1. Smear peanut butter onto the sofa and jam onto the curtains.
    2. Hide a piece of raw chicken behind the stereo and leave it there all summer.
    3. Stick your fingers in the flower bed.
    4. Then rub them on the clean walls.
    5. Take your favorite book, photo album, etc. Wreck it.
    6. Spill milk on your new pillows. Cover the stains with crayons. How does that look?

Lesson 5

Dressing small children is not as easy as it seems.
    1. Buy an octopus and a small bag made out of loose mesh.
    2. Attempt to put the octopus into the bag so that none of the arms hang out.

Time allowed for this - all morning.

Lesson 6

Forget the BMW and buy a mini-van. And don't think that you can leave it out in the driveway spotless and shining. Family cars don't look like that.
    1. Buy a chocolate ice cream cone and put it in the glove compartment.
    Leave it there.
    2. Get a dime. Stick it in the CD player.
    3. Take a family size package of chocolate cookies. Mash them into the back seat. Sprinkle cheerios all over the floor, then smash them with your foot.
    4. Run a garden rake along both sides of the car.

Lesson 7

Go to the local grocery store. Take with you the closest thing you can find to a pre-school child. (A full-grown goat is an excellent choice). If you intend to have more than one child, then definitely take more than one goat. Buy your week's groceries without letting the goats out of your sight. Pay for everything the goat eats or destroys. Until you can easily accomplish this, do not even contemplate having children.

Lesson 8

1. Hollow out a melon.
    2. Make a small hole in the side.
    3. Suspend it from the ceiling and swing it from side to side.
    4. Now get a bowl of soggy Cheerios and attempt to spoon them into the swaying melon by pretending to be an airplane.
    5. Continue until half the Cheerios are gone.
    6. Tip half into your lap. The other half, just throw up in the air.

You are now ready to feed a nine- month-old baby.

Lesson 9

Learn the names of every character from Sesame Street , Barney, Disney, the Teletubbies, and Pokemon. Watch nothing else on TV but PBS, the Disney channel or Noggin for at least five years. (I know, you're thinking What's 'Noggin'?) Exactly the point.

Lesson 10

Make a recording of Fran Drescher saying 'mommy' repeatedly. (Important: no more than a four second delay between each 'mommy'; occasional crescendo to the level of a supersonic jet is required). Play this tape in your car everywhere you go for the next four years. You are now ready to take a long trip with a toddler.

Lesson 11

Start talking to an adult of your choice. Have someone else continually tug on your skirt hem, shirt- sleeve, or elbow while playing the 'mommy' tape made from Lesson 10 above. You are now ready to have a conversation with an adult while there is a child in the room.

This is all very tongue in cheek; anyone who is parent will say 'it's all worth it!' Share it with your friends, both those who do and don't have kids. I guarantee they'll get a chuckle out of it. Remember, a sense of humor is one of the most important things you'll need when you become a parent!
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Pam!! That is HILARIOUS and so TRUE!!!

So I went to the Dr today, he have me the "we won't do anything proactive until you've been trying unsuccessfully for 6-12 months" which is kinda what I expected. He is running a full work up of labs including thyroid, cholesterol etc but bc he's checking my blood sugar I have to fast so I have to do it first thing in the morning. He lumped the HCG in with all the regular labs. He said, and I quote "if you're pregnant today, you'll be pregnant tomorrow when you go in for blood work" ugh...

Question: IF I had an anovulatory in December and I just don't get my period, could it have only lasted 28 days and now I'm technically in my next cycle and I should be looking to ovulate again?? I'm confused if I will still have an opportunity to conceive before the hubs leaves??
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Alisa - even if you don't ovulate in a cycle, there is still a uterine lining, and that lining needs to be shed. The first day of your period is the beginning of a new cycle. Have you had any luck with OPKs or cervical mucous? I'm sorry the doc couldn't give you more concrete answers.

Off to bed world... still not feeling great :(
  • epa422
    Options
    erica fingers crossed for you. sometimes it is easier for me knowing I'm not ovulating then to psyche myself out that there might just be that possibility. I know the next 2 weeks for you are gonna be stressful. How far have you gone in testing with doctors and such? Does ovulating cause you to gain weight?

I've also had a moment of panic when I just thought about the idea that it has taken 7 years to get this far in the whole ttc game and what if we have a baby this year, I am 30 now and will be 31 right after the baby is born. Then what if we want another one? I refuse to take the risk to conceive after 35 (that is the choice for me, if you have other opinions that is okay) so that makes the time frame very very small to have another baby. Kinda stressful just thinking about it.

We haven't had any testing done (beyond my annual thyroid check). We were waiting to hit the one-year mark because my doctor wouldn't do anything before then anyway since my charts showed that I'm ovulating. That happens in 10 days. So if this cycle was not successful, I'll be making an appointment to start the testing.

I definitely retain water after Oing, though not usually this much...

I'll be 32 in April. We started this process when I was 30. I definitely feel the pressure, but my grandmother had the majority of her 6 children over the age of 35... my mother-in-law had a child in her early 40s. I'm not too worried. Neither is my doctor. He reminded me that I'm still young when I went in at the six-month mark and tried to get him to do something.

Alisa, you could still O on your own at this point, but it's still the December cycle. Did your doctor say anything about calling back if AF hasn't shown in a specific timeframe so he can give you something to start your cycle?
  • AlisaToth
    Options
    He wasn't joking about testing me for everything! They took 6 viles of blood! I thought I was going to dry up right there at the lab! They said I could call this afternoon for the results...I told my husband last night that I'll be okay if we don't get preggo before he leaves, that kjust means that God has something better planned for us.

Erica all he said was that they would put me back on birth control to regulate my cycle again which I find completely counter productive...but I'll give it until mid toe end of February before I go back and ask for another option bc I want to be able to try again when I visit the hubs in Dubai...now it's the waiting game...no +OPK but still checking and temping...
  • epa422
    Options
    Yes that would be a really bad decision. They have other ways to get your cycle back on track, but if it's a military doctor then they probably aren't all about reproductive and fertility health. Hopefully, you'll regulate on your own soon!
  • AlisaToth
    Options
    Yeah, He did tell me that while they have some fertility/infertility knowledge and options that is not what they're geared for...eh, I guess we'll just cross that bridge when we get to it...I am up to 144lbs so assuming I'm NOT preggo, as soon as the hubs leaves I am back on track with eating super well and working out. I'm actually really excited bc I have two hours in between classes on T&R and there is a YMCA with a heated pool right around the corner so I plan to alternate swimming laps and working out really well on those days!
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hi hi! It has been so long since I last visited! I've been super busy with work and our rental.

Welcome to the newbies!:flowerforyou:

Alisa- I hope you get some good news from all the that blood!

I have been doing OK with eating, but I have been over my calories for weeks now.... I guess its time to get my stationary bike back out to make up for it. For some reason I feel like I'm starving if I stay around my calories. (1230) I guess it time to move more, I've kind of gotten into a rut. DH and I have to go grocery shopping as well. We are running out of healthy choices. Zumba tonight!

Ugh our tenant still hasn't paid...:explode: She is over $2200 in the hole now. I am really done giving her chances. She said she would have it by this Friday. If not, then step 2 of the eviction process starts Monday morning. This whole rental idea was DH's, I think he has realized that its not really what he thought it was going to be. (Work hard to get it ready, then sit back and collect the checks...:laugh:...NOT!)

I'm not doing good at all temping this month. I keep forgetting. The long cycle and double cycle through me off. DH and I haven't really been preventing, but I wasn't really monitoring anything either. So if I do get preggo this cycle it will be a fluke. I'm on CD17, and I have two iPhone apps going watching my cycle (pinkpad and firtility friend). Pinkpad says I should have Oed in the 7th using my average cycle length (25 days). Fertility friend says I should O on the 17th using my longest cycle length (36 days). So I basically have no idea! My friend at work is letting me borrow her Clear Blue Easy fertility monitor. I was reading the booklet this morning. I'm going to start using it next cycle. We'll just have to wait and see .:ohwell:

My goals for this week (same as last week LOL)
    1) drink more water, at least 6-10 classes
    2) exercise 3 times for at least 30 minutes (not including teaching)
    3) Say under calories at least 3 times