"MFP Win By Losing!" Pound4Pound Challenge - Support Group

Options

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    For all the new people - welcome! Also, so you don't have to scroll through all of the prior messages to find it, here's a link to our Facebook Group:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_182418758444753
  • roboray
    roboray Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would love to join!!!
    Name: Renee
    Pledge: 30 pounds
    Weight as of Dec 14, 2010 172
    Weight as of Jan 5, 2011: 167
    Loss To Date during challenge: 5.4lbs

What are you going to do to lose the weight?: stay under calorie goal, bobs Bootcamp, C25K on alternating days.

Do you have any fitness challenges/struggles you need support for? plateaus and very slow or no weight loss. I usually give up when I do really well on my exercise and eating but dont lose weight. I get really frustrated and binge. so far that hasn't happened. whew!!
  • roboray
    roboray Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    thanks for the support!!
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Did you know that fiber aids weight loss? For those of you who don't track your fiber intake, I hope you reconsider - most people don't get anywhere near as much fiber as they should and MFP also doesn't give you enough in your goals - Men should aim for 35 grams/day, women for 25.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Oh, by the way - anyone who has any fitness gems to share to help us acheive/maintain a healthy lifestyle, please do!
  • DawniesLife
    Options
    Did you know that fiber aids weight loss? For those of you who don't track your fiber intake, I hope you reconsider - most people don't get anywhere near as much fiber as they should and MFP also doesn't give you enough in your goals - Men should aim for 35 grams/day, women for 25.

Thanks for posting that! I am actually usually over my fiber intake according to MFP, so it is nice to see that for once, that isn't really a bad thing! :)
  • CoryIda
    Options

Thanks for posting that! I am actually usually over my fiber intake according to MFP, so it is nice to see that for once, that isn't really a bad thing! :)

If you want to change the goal, go to GOALS > CUSTOM GOALS and change it there (I also changed my percentages a little because I wanted a little more protein and a little less fat than MFP gives me automatically)
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Another update:

Members: 40
    Ranking: 11
    Total Pounds Pledged*: 1345

INCREDIBLE! I am so proud of all of us for helping others while we get fit!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Another update:

I just noticed this too! Eeeekkkkkk!!! How awesome is THAT?
  • DawniesLife
    Options

If you want to change the goal, go to GOALS > CUSTOM GOALS and change it there (I also changed my percentages a little because I wanted a little more protein and a little less fat than MFP gives me automatically)

Thanks for the heads up with that! I am still relatively new to using the actual site and not just the app on my phone, so I had no clue!
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! Have you ever gottten a charlie horse or had your feet/hands go numb when you do strenuous exercise? If so, watch your potassium intake.

According to Dr. George Obikoya, "symptoms of a potassium deficiency include poor circulation, bluish tint to skin, Chronic-Fatigue Syndrome, diabetes, earaches, edema, headaches, heart palpitations, hypertension, insomnia, intestinal pain, muscle weakness, oppressive breathing, pain in the eyes, prolapsed uterus, swollen glands, tissue anemia, and water retention."

Most people get adequate potassium from the foods they eat but, if you are working out, you need to make sure you keep those levels up. Some foods that are high in potassium include the obvious, like potatoes and bananas, and also these:
    Fish (tuna and salmon are great sources, as are clams)
    -Avocadoes (plus they are full of protein and healthy fats)
    -Beans (also high in protein and fiber)
    -Spinach (super vitamin-rich food all around)
    -Beet greens (I have these growing in my garden - LOVE them!)
    -Yogurt (low-fat - also has good bacteria to help digestion - unless you're allergic to milk like I am)
    -Prune juice (also helps with... ahem... regularity)
    You can get a more complete list here: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Another update:

I just noticed this too! Eeeekkkkkk!!! How awesome is THAT?

I agree totally awesome!

As for weight loss gems...exercise like no ones watching....1) everyone else is too busy with there work out to watch 2) if you not afriad of looking sily you tend to push yoursel fin your aerobics and zumba classes. I had an amazing Zumba work out last night :)

3150954.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Great advice, fuhrmeister - I love Zumba and have ZERO rhythm so I'm sure I look like a total fool but I push myself in class because I am there to burn calories, not to impress anyone. :happy:
  • Meag83
    Meag83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! I just signed up. I could use a lot of postive motivation. I hope this helps.

Name: Meag
    Pledge: 44 pounds
    Weight as of Dec 14, 2010 (first day of challenge - you don't have to fill this in if you don't know): 243.2
    Weight as of Jan 4, 2011: 243.2 lbs
    Loss To Date during challenge: 0

Meag
  • CoryIda
    Options
    I love this idea! I just signed up. I could use a lot of postive motivation. I hope this helps.

Name: Meag
    Pledge: 44 pounds
    Weight as of Dec 14, 2010 (first day of challenge - you don't have to fill this in if you don't know): 243.2
    Weight as of Jan 4, 2011: 243.2 lbs
    Loss To Date during challenge: 0

Meag

Welcome, Meag! Did you join our Facebook group as well? I've been posting all of the great tips people have been sharing on there as well.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Here' the link again for the Facebook group:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_182418758444753&ap=1
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Yay! Here's our current ranking:

Team: MyFitnessPal Win By Losing!
    Members: 42
    Ranking: 12
    Total Pounds Pledged*: 1429
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! Here's where we are currently:

Team: MyFitnessPal Win By Losing!
    Members: 43
    Ranking: 14
    Total Pounds Pledged*: 1464

Did anyone have any successes or challenges this week? If so, what were they?
  • johnson30usa
    Options
    Im in I pledge 35lbs.

My starting weight was 242
    Miy current weight is 328
    Total weight loss for challenge 4 lbs

I struggle with actually getting up and exercise. I hate watching videos, and not being able to do half of what there doing because my fat is in the way.

My goal is to stop asking my kids to get stuff for me, and get up and do it myself. Bad habit!!!!!!! Especially if it upstairs, they just run up there not caring at all, and love helping... so I got use to just asking them.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Im in I pledge 35lbs.

My starting weight was 242
    Miy current weight is 328
    Total weight loss for challenge 4 lbs

I struggle with actually getting up and exercise. I hate watching videos, and not being able to do half of what there doing because my fat is in the way.

My goal is to stop asking my kids to get stuff for me, and get up and do it myself. Bad habit!!!!!!! Especially if it upstairs, they just run up there not caring at all, and love helping... so I got use to just asking them.

I have a similar problem, but I always ask my hubby to get things for me (we don't have an upstairs - houses are rarely more than one story in Tucson). I get plenty of exercise, but I really should be setting an example for my son instead of relying on my husband to "fetch" for me.

As far as being more active, you might try going for a walk around the neighborhood (maybe bring your kids) or doing little bursts of activity throughout the day (5 minutes of running/walking in place, 5 minutes of crunches and/or wall push-ups if you can't do regular push-ups yet, 5 minutes of something else) so you can break it up into smaller intervals to get started to avoid getting bored. Also, do your kids have a Wii? If so, there are a lot of fun exercises you can do on there that make things fun. Wii Fit Plus has games that get you moving and each activity is pretty short. Zumba Fitness is a lot of fun and a fantastic workout. There are several other work out "games" that you might want to look into if you have a Wii.