Replies

• fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Im in I pledge 35lbs.

My starting weight was 242
    Miy current weight is 328
    Total weight loss for challenge 4 lbs

I struggle with actually getting up and exercise. I hate watching videos, and not being able to do half of what there doing because my fat is in the way.

My goal is to stop asking my kids to get stuff for me, and get up and do it myself. Bad habit!!!!!!! Especially if it upstairs, they just run up there not caring at all, and love helping... so I got use to just asking them.

LOL, My husband ask our step son to "fetch" as well. i'm trying to get both of us to break teh habit.

I get bored with videos to..except for yoga. Yoga isn't a calorie scorcher but it's about doing what your body can do you make the pse perfect for your body not the other way around. I had to join a gym with classes to stay motovated. I love zumba and sculpt in additon to my yoga. I also agree with Corylda walking with your kids is a geat idea! Good Luck!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Over 1500 pounds pledged so far!

Members: 45
    Ranking: 14
    Total Pounds Pledged*: 1544

Jennifer Roswell (sorry - I don't know your MFP name!) had some more great advice for johnson30usa:

"Walk away the Pounds videos are great. They only use 4 basic moves and were easy for me to follow even when I was really really out of shape. They go from 1 to 5 miles and I usually find them at Target or Walmart for about 10 bucks :):)"
    There are one mile ones you can do online as well www.walkathome.com Just look in the blog and there are a few videos you can try from 5 minutes to a full mile :)"
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Our team has pledged over 1400 pounds so far (YAY!!!) but I don't have most people's information for the chart. Here is the initial chart - if you are not on there and want to be added, let me know and I'll get you on right away OR, if I have your information down wrong, let me know and I'll correct it ASAP. If you stumble across this thread and want to join our challenge, please do!
    Here's what I have so far:
    PFPChallengeweek1-1-1.jpg
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I received a few emails overnight asking for my salsa recipe. So I decided to post a copy of it here as well so that all of you can enjoy it! Keep in mind that tomatoes are a GREAT source of vitamin C and potassium as well as the powerful antioxidant lycopene! To top that off, tomatoes are very low in calories. Vitamin C enhances absorption of iron from foods so it is GREAT to pair with eggs, chicken, or other meats. Top your baked fish, chicken, or scrambled eggs with a generous serving of salsa. Its a healthy addition to your meal!

Here's a copy of the email I sent out:

I'm happy to share my recipe! You'll probably want to tweak it to suit your own tastes. I like a salsa that is only slightly chunky (small chunks), very tomato-ey, and not too sweet. Last week I made a batch that was sweeter than I like. My husband picked up a lime for me and it was bigger than I normally get. I should have used half of it since it was bigger than normal but I went ahead and used the whole thing and it resulted in a sweeter and more citrus-y taste than I prefer. I also recently added the tomato paste as it gives the salsa a richer color of red, thickens it a bit, and increases the tomato taste. Plus tomato paste is LOADED with lycopene (natural antioxidant in tomatoes....it also is where the rich red color comes from). My husband sometimes complains that the cilantro has a "grassy" taste to him.....but I love that "grassy" taste (and he still eats it anyway)! So again, you'll want to try the recipe and then make changes to suit your own tastes.

I also like my salsa rather spicy. That is why I added habaneros to it. If you are unfamiliar with habaneros, please note that you should use GLOVES when handling them. Handling them and then washing your hands will NOT help. When you put them in the food processor to mix with other ingredients, do NOT hang your head over the top when you open it after pulsing because the fumes may make your eyes water a bit. I LOVE the extra punch the habaneros add to the salsa but you just have to be careful in the handling......we learned by trial and error.....which wasn't fun. lol If you prefer a milder salsa then try leaving the habaneros off and just use cayenne pepper. :)

Using fresh raw ingredients is best as this maintains optimal nutritional value. Plus it keeps the sodium down! A very important fact for me!

If you have any questions or need me for anything, please feel free to contact me. :)

Here you go! I hope you enjoy it!

Angela's Homemade Salsa

Ingredients:

Half a medium yellow onion ( actually use a little more than half as I love that onion taste)

2 gloves garlic (minced)

1/4 cup cilantro leaves

1 banana pepper, seeded and ribbed

6 large tomatoes, skin peeled off (see note below)

1 small can tomato paste

2 tablespoons white vinegar

Lime juice (squeezed from 1 small lime)

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp olive oil

2 Habanero peppers (you decide how much you want to use but start off with a small amount such as 1 teaspoon and increase as desired...these peppers are HOT), seeded and ribbed

Directions:

Chop onion and garlic into small pieces. Place onion and garlic in a food processor and pulse on high until minced. In a small skillet add 1 tsp olive oil and saute the onion and garlic mixture until soft (about 3 - 5 minutes) on medium heat. When finished, place the mixture in a medium bowl.

Chop and slice the peppers into small pieces then add to the food processor. Add cilantro leaves and pulse on high until minced. You may have to scrape the side and pulse a few times to get it minced. Add to the onion mixture in the bowl.

After tomatoes have been skinned (see note below), quarter them and add them to the food processor. Pulse on low until coarsely chopped (or they reach the texture you desire). Add to the onion mixture and mix all together. Add vinegar, tomato paste, cayenne pepper, lime juice and mix together. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight to allow all the flavors to mingle and get to know one another. :) This is an important step as you will notice the flavors become more intense after they have mingled for awhile.

**NOTE: Skinning the tomatoes is easier if you drop them in boiling water for about 45 - 60 seconds. This loosens the skin and makes them very easy to peel. You can seed them as well, if you so desire but try to retain the juices from the tomatoes.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! I just joined the group... But, I'm not sure I quite understand it. Where are you supposed to enter how much you've lost each week? Or does it just donate 11 cents for every pound you pledge regardless if you really lose it? If that's the case, I should have just pledged 50 instead of 25.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Hey everybody! I just joined the group... But, I'm not sure I quite understand it. Where are you supposed to enter how much you've lost each week? Or does it just donate 11 cents for every pound you pledge regardless if you really lose it? If that's the case, I should have just pledged 50 instead of 25.
    I think that, closer to the end, there will be something we can update with our total loss. Even if there isn't, I am trying to get everyone to update on here when they weigh in each week and I will keep track (see the chart further up on the page).

Thanks for joining!
  • DawniesLife
    Options
    Are we weighing in on any specific day here or just whenever our normal weigh in day is? Mine is on Fridays. I weighed in at 197 on Friday! So my stats now are:

Weight as of Dec 14, 2010 (first day of challenge - you don't have to fill this in if you don't know): 212
    Current Weight: 197
    Loss To Date during challenge: 15
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Are we weighing in on any specific day here or just whenever our normal weigh in day is? Mine is on Fridays. I weighed in at 197 on Friday! So my stats now are:

Weight as of Dec 14, 2010 (first day of challenge - you don't have to fill this in if you don't know): 212
    Current Weight: 197
    Loss To Date during challenge: 15

Great job!!! Whatever day you normally weigh in, just let us know - I will update the chart each Saturday with each person's weekly update.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Oops! I was so excited aout joining the challenge, I forgot to fill this out.

Name: Emily
    Pledge: 25 pounds
    Weight as of Jan 4, 2011: 187
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Oops! I was so excited aout joining the challenge, I forgot to fill this out.

Name: Emily
    Pledge: 25 pounds
    Weight as of Jan 4, 2011: 187

Great, thanks for joining!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I joined!
    My 12/14 weight was 139.

CW: 137
  • CoryIda
    Options
    I joined!
    My 12/14 weight was 139.

CW: 137
    Awesome!
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    Our team has pledged over 1400 pounds so far (YAY!!!) but I don't have most people's information for the chart. Here is the initial chart - if you are not on there and want to be added, let me know and I'll get you on right away OR, if I have your information down wrong, let me know and I'll correct it ASAP. If you stumble across this thread and want to join our challenge, please do!
    Here's what I have so far:
    PFPChallengeweek1-1-1.jpg

Thanks so much for the chart! It looks great! Will report in here every Friday or would you prefer a PM?
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Thanks so much for the chart! It looks great! Will report in here every Friday or would you prefer a PM?

Here is fine - I add it to the spreadsheet on my computer whenever I get an update. Have a great day!
  • xaviernelson
    xaviernelson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The chart is excellent, thank you for putting it all together for us.
  • Pink_Hornet
    Options
    Hi i would love to join my birthday is may 29th and i want to reach my goal weight by then so im ready:wink:
    Pledge: 21lbs
    Weight as of Jan 11 2011: 165lbs
    Loss To Date during challenge: 0
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Hi i would love to join my birthday is may 29th and i want to reach my goal weight by then so im ready:wink:
    Pledge: 21lbs
    Weight as of Jan 11 2011: 165lbs
    Loss To Date during challenge: 0
    Welcome! How exciting to have your goal weight in your sights! You can definitely get there!
  • roboray
    roboray Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated!!! First of all I think I am addicted to MFP!! I have become very obsessive about losing weight now!! this isn't such a bad thing because I have been really good about monitoring every morsel that enters my body. 9 days ago I started to exercise and since then I've only lost .6. I'm having a really hard time dealing with the scale not moving. I know I should applaud the weight loss so far but it still is very frustrating!! I started to exercise to ramp up the weight loss and it has done nothing but leave me at a stand still. So I'm sad to report that I've only lost .6 since last week. :(

Week 2 166.2 (((aaaaahhh!!!)

I gonna try to keep on doing what I'm doing but as the scale is not moving, I am getting closer to the point where I just throw up my arms and scream screw it!! I'm really trying hard not to be there, I want this to be different than all of the other times. I'm hoping my MFP OCD will prevail. Hope everyone else is doing great!! ( thanks for letting me vent)
  • CoryIda
    Options
    I'm so frustrated!!! First of all I think I am addicted to MFP!! I have become very obsessive about losing weight now!! this isn't such a bad thing because I have been really good about monitoring every morsel that enters my body. 9 days ago I started to exercise and since then I've only lost .6. I'm having a really hard time dealing with the scale not moving. I know I should applaud the weight loss so far but it still is very frustrating!! I started to exercise to ramp up the weight loss and it has done nothing but leave me at a stand still. So I'm sad to report that I've only lost .6 since last week. :(

I gonna try to keep on doing what I'm doing but as the scale is not moving, I am getting closer to the point where I just throw up my arms and scream screw it!! I'm really trying hard not to be there, I want this to be different than all of the other times. I'm hoping my MFP OCD will prevail. Hope everyone else is doing great!! ( thanks for letting me vent)

First of all, a loss is a loss - that is .6 pounds less than you used to weigh. Also, make sure you're measuring - maybe you're gaining muscle and your measurements might be going down even if the scal isn't. Watch your sodium intake, take a deep breath, and just keep going. This is not a race - just keep working hard and the scale will move, it just might be stubborn for a while.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Whoa sista......stop and breathe a moment. When you begin exercising your muscles will take on a bit more water for muscle repair. Its important that you know you are building muscle which will BENEFIT you in the long run. I support Cory's suggestion to take your measurements. I didn't do that at the beginning but decided to start watching measurements after seeing how well Cory has done not just on the scale but also in inches lost. Its very comforting to find success on more than one level. Hang in there......the added exercise will make you feel so much better as you start to feel stronger. I couldn't live without my exercise! Also, be sure to get PLENTY of sleep as a large portion of muscle repair takes place at night. Keep your chin up and hopefully you'll see much better results next week. :)

::HUGS::